Iron Kingdom RPG (looking for dm and/or players)

Started by godfang, August 16, 2013, 01:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Good time to learn, then. Take a spot near the end of the rotation and you'll have lots of examples to follow by the time it's your turn. ;D

I'm going to brainstorm a character today. Currently I'm waffling between an expatriate Cygnaran gun-mage or a Khadoran sniper.

Or, of course, the third option of being a Warcaster, but that's only if no one else rolls one. It'll just feel wrong to be playing Warmachine without at least one warjack hanging around.

EDIT: Sniper it is. The theme is 'Khadoran merc unit', and I don't need to be a special snowflake by being something weird or non-Khadoran. Plus, Warcasters don't seem to start with a steamjack anyways.

eBadger

GMing isn't a completely different skill set.  Just come up with a problem for the group and make some rolls as they solve it.  Being a good GM requires innovation, knowledge of the rules and good roleplaying.  And actually, PBPs are an excellent place to start with GMing, since you have plenty of time to look up a rule, create an NPC or come up with some details or setting when things go unexpectedly, unlike face to face where there's a lot of thinking on the fly.  And start with something very simple: an informant tells us some Llaelese troops, now acting as bandits, are holed up in a certain spot in the hills.  He either sets us up for an ambush, or we ambush them.  Brief search, combat, and done :)

I don't mind a few snowflakes, but it would be great to have at least a couple Khadorans to keep the theme and motivation. And snipers are good, I also made a widowmaker myself. 

For Godfang:
Pugilist
Pugilist Career:
Req: Ogrun or Trollkin
Abilities: Brawler* and Hulking Presence*
Mil. Skills: HW 1, Unarmed 1
Occ Skills: Detection 1, intimidation 1, Streetwise 1
Special: a starting pugilist gains +1 STR or PHY, which can bring them above their racial max.
Assets: 100g

Career Abilities:
Brawler*, Defender, Flying Fists*, Grappler*, Head butt, Heave Ho*, Hulking Presence*, Rock Solid, Trip*, Waylay
Career Mil Skills: HW 3, Unarmed 4
Career Occ Skills: Bribery 3, Etiquette 3, General 4, Interrogation 2, intimidation 4, Law 2, negotiation 3, seduction 2, streetwise 4

Brawler: req STR 6, can use Unarmed skill with improvised weapons
Flying Fists: req unarmed 2, an empty offhand can be used to make an additional punch attack
Grappler: req unarmed 3, opponent suffers -2 to break free and character doesn't lose DEF when grappling
Heave Ho: req PHY 8, Unarmed 3, can use a feat point to throw an opponent
Hulking Presence: Additional die to intimidation rolls using PHY
Trip: kicks gain crit knockdown

godfang

@theglyphstone: while they do work for khador, it doesn't neccesarily mean they have to be khadoran. They're bassically mercenaries hired to do the dirty work of the Khadoran army, so it's not odd for them to have non-khadoran characters. I'm still unsure of what to play, but that's no problem since i'll dm an episode first.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: godfang on August 24, 2013, 08:21:38 PM
@theglyphstone: while they do work for khador, it doesn't neccesarily mean they have to be khadoran. They're bassically mercenaries hired to do the dirty work of the Khadoran army, so it's not odd for them to have non-khadoran characters. I'm still unsure of what to play, but that's no problem since i'll dm an episode first.

The double benefit is that I don't have to teach myself the magic system with my first character, which is why I'm making a mundane.

godfang

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 24, 2013, 09:10:29 PM
The double benefit is that I don't have to teach myself the magic system with my first character, which is why I'm making a mundane.

Oh, with this part i agree. Warcasters are also a bit too..fancy for a merc group used for doing shifty stuff

eBadger

For Godfang, Round 2 -

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Allegiant

Must choose Cutthroat, Investigator, Priest (menoth), ranger, Scrutator*, spy or warcaster as their second career

Abilities: Flesh of Steel*, Hardened Strike*, Shifting Sands Stance*
Connections (order of the fist)
Mil Skill Unarmed 1
Occ Skills Detection 1, Jump 1, Sneak 1
Assets: None

Career stuff:
Abilities: Acrobatics, Chain attack: body slam*, Circular Vision*, Fist of God*, Fleet foot, Flesh of Steel*, Flying Fists*, Hardened Strike*, Iron Will, Precision Strike, Reed in the Wind*, Serpent Strike*, Shifting Sands Stance*, Steady, Trip*, Waylay, Whirlwind*
Connections: Order of the fist
Mil Skills: HW 3, Unarmed 4
Occ Skills: General 4, Interrogation 3, Law 3, Sneak 4, Survival 4

CA: Body Slam - req Flying fists, unarmed 3, chain attack allows a body slam
Circular Vision: req PER 5, 360 degree front arc
Fist of God: req willpower 11 unarmed melee attacks are magical and gain an additional die against structures
Flesh of Steel: when unarmored, double PHY to determine ARM
Flying Fists: req Unarmed 2, gains an additional punch attack from an empty hand
Hardened Strike: req unarmed 1, kick and punch attacks are boosted; at veteran, this becomes an additional die instead
Reed in the Wind: can't be targetted by free strikes
Serpent Strike: req unarmed 2, unarmed kick attacks gain reach
Shifting Sands Stance: forfeit movement to gain 2 DEF, if enemy attack misses move up to 3", lasts one turn (doesn't expire after movement)
Trip: kicks gain crit knockdown
Whirlwind: req flying fists, unarmed 3, first unarmed melee attack can become a thresher: make one attack against each character in melee and los

godfang

oh my god, the allegiant is so beautiful T_T . i'm playing a mighty cutthroat allegiant. Gonna have his profile up soon

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Going to bow out of this, just not up for spending that much on a new game right now.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

eBadger

If we're doing this, people need to start putting together some characters :)

eBadger

Officially dropping this due to non-activity. 

Muse

*sighes*  Sadness.  Sorry I didn't learn the system fast enough. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)