"show new replies to your posts"

Started by auroraChloe, July 22, 2010, 08:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

auroraChloe

i am sure this has been brought up, i am curious if it's actually possible and/or being worked on.

i use this option a lot. 
what i need to do is have some of the threads removed from it. 

yeah yeah, i know i can ignore those i don't want to follow any more, but some i NEED to ignore and don't. 
if they stopped coming up, i'd be better able to avoid the time (and mind) sucking game threads and concentrate on writing or just maybe working at my day job.  ha! 

a/a 8/21/17

Oreo

If you go to your Profile and click the Ignore Boards Options, then select the boards you don't want to see there. It should relieve the problem.

QuoteThis page lets you ignore particular boards. When a board is ignored, the new post indicator will not show up on the board index. New posts will not show up using the "unread post" search link (when searching it will not look in those boards) however, ignored boards will still appear on the board index and upon entering will show which topics have new posts. When using the "unread replies" link, new posts in an ignored board will still be shown.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Haibane

That only works for entire boards, not for threads. I think, AuroraChloe, if you don't want to see unread replies from certain threads you'll have to go into each thread and hit the 'notify' button again.

Or not use the 'unread posts' option at all and just bookmark the threads you do want to follow.

Oniya

Quote from: auroraChloe on July 22, 2010, 08:14:42 AM
i am sure this has been brought up, i am curious if it's actually possible and/or being worked on.

i use this option a lot. 
what i need to do is have some of the threads removed from it. 

yeah yeah, i know i can ignore those i don't want to follow any more, but some i NEED to ignore and don't. 
if they stopped coming up, i'd be better able to avoid the time (and mind) sucking game threads and concentrate on writing or just maybe working at my day job.  ha!

I have discovered that actively bookmarking the threads I want to follow (typically my RP threads) and viewing 'My Bookmarks' instead of 'show new replies' works better at avoiding the time-sucking threads.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The only way to remove things from that page permanently is to delete your posts from said threads. Staff doesn't like it. :P

Haibane

Hm. It would be useful if the site had a switch that allowed you to tell the software 'I have not posted in this thread', even when you had.

auroraChloe

Quote from: Haibane on July 22, 2010, 10:56:39 AM
Hm. It would be useful if the site had a switch that allowed you to tell the software 'I have not posted in this thread', even when you had.

oo ooo..   there is something.       'mark as unread'  !!    :D

EDIT.........  never mind.. that is so not the right thing.         :-[

a/a 8/21/17

Trieste

Quote from: Oreo on July 22, 2010, 09:44:06 AM
If you go to your Profile and click the Ignore Boards Options, then select the boards you don't want to see there. It should relieve the problem.

Actually, it won't.  :-\ Look at the last line of the description you quoted:

When using the "unread replies" link, new posts in an ignored board will still be shown.

@aurora: What I normally do is click "unread replies", then I read all the threads that interest me. When all that's left on my "show unread replies" screen is stuff I'm not interested, I click "mark all read" on that screen. It clears out the remainder, and leaves the screen clear until more replies are made. If I keep reasonably on top of it through the course of the day, generally only one or two threads will show up at a time and those are easily manageable.

auroraChloe

Quote from: Trieste on July 22, 2010, 11:26:25 AM
Actually, it won't.  :-\ Look at the last line of the description you quoted:

@aurora: What I normally do is click "unread replies", then I read all the threads that interest me. When all that's left on my "show unread replies" screen is stuff I'm not interested, I click "mark all read" on that screen. It clears out the remainder, and leaves the screen clear until more replies are made. If I keep reasonably on top of it through the course of the day, generally only one or two threads will show up at a time and those are easily manageable. 

thank you, Dear.... i know. 

i just should not see some threads appear, because i can't ignore them.   
i need E's software (or what every it is) to police me 'cause i have no self-discipline  :-[

a/a 8/21/17

Haibane

Quote from: auroraChloe on July 22, 2010, 11:34:04 AM

i need E's software (or what every it is) to police me 'cause i have no self-discipline  :-[
If this is really eating into your valuable day and your willpower is really overwhelmed by it, I see no reason - as long as you talk this through with a deity - of maybe going into those particular threads and deleting your post(s).

It sounds like this is a special case that's causing you unnecessary grief so maybe you should take this to PMs with a Deity and find a solution?

Also *cuddlehugs*

auroraChloe

Quote from: Haibane on July 22, 2010, 11:42:08 AM
If this is really eating into your valuable day and your willpower is really overwhelmed by it, I see no reason - as long as you talk this through with a deity - of maybe going into those particular threads and deleting your post(s).

It sounds like this is a special case that's causing you unnecessary grief so maybe you should take this to PMs with a Deity and find a solution?

Also *cuddlehugs*

that would be a lot of deleting...   
and i was just wondering about future options really.  making the suggestion that it be worked in like the board says to do.

to police myself, i've not been signing in so often during the work day.  so what if i get the shakes and twitches..  really.  so what.    ::)

EDIT..   also......... *cuddlehugs back atcha*    :D

a/a 8/21/17

Trieste

Quote from: auroraChloe on July 22, 2010, 11:34:04 AM

We hope to eventually have a new system, and I believe it's on Veks' to-do list to have a way to ignore threads in which you've posted that you don't want to see anymore. This is a while in the future, however, so until then you'll need to learn to exercise control.

Further discussion should be taken to PM if it's of a personal nature. *nodnod*

auroraChloe

Quote from: Trieste on July 22, 2010, 11:54:57 AM
We hope to eventually have a new system, and I believe it's on Veks' to-do list to have a way to ignore threads in which you've posted that you don't want to see anymore. This is a while in the future, however, so until then you'll need to learn to exercise control.

Further discussion should be taken to PM if it's of a personal nature. *nodnod*

awesome & yes, Ma'am. 

*locks*

a/a 8/21/17