D&D (in every incarnation), Pathfinder and other System Games

Started by LunarSage, July 05, 2011, 08:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Howling

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 05, 2011, 08:07:50 PM
Yeah, but you can't play an Illithid or a Beholder in Pathfinder. :P
Sure you can, if someone takes the time to simply cross them over. Ask the GM. ;) They gave the methods for how, they just couldn't publish either species.

Brandon

Well I dont know about you but I have no qualms about putting them into my games. I bought the books so I can use the book and whatever is inside the book however I want.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Kunoichi

*shrugs*

Okay.  In that case, my only other point is that you can't play every type of monster from level one.

Besides, when I said homebrew classes and races, I didn't just mean one of those monster classes I linked to. :P For example, you could be a formless, shape-shifting aberration, a grafting expert, all sorts of crazy things based on the Tome of Battle...

There are lots of possibilities, really.

Kuje

I think what she's getting at is that Wizards owns those two concepts/creatures and so Paizo can't use them in their material, not make game stats for them. :) Of course, Paizo can make their own versions but they can't use things that Wizards has copy written.

As for the Planescape idea, that's one of the reasons why I like Planescape, it allows PC's that would be harder to play in some other settings without getting them murdered.

Kunoichi

Yeah, plus it's a perfect setting for when you want an entire party of weirdos adventuring together without having to come up with some big reason for it. ^^

And that's perfect for getting reluctant players to expand their horizons a little, or so I've heard...

Kuje

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 05, 2011, 08:30:43 PM
Yeah, plus it's a perfect setting for when you want an entire party of weirdos adventuring together without having to come up with some big reason for it. ^^

And that's perfect for getting reluctant players to expand their horizons a little, or so I've heard...

Exactly. It doesn't seem as weird to have this strange group of races together when your on the planes. Grins.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't care for Planescape either, least that I've noticed. The last time I had a group interested in a Planescape game probably was years ago.

Kunoichi

I seem to remember someone trying to get one started here on E about a year ago, myself.  Though I can't remember much more about it, sadly. ^^;

If you want to try and start up a Planescape game, though, you could certainly count me in. ^^

Brandon

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 05, 2011, 08:39:12 PM
I seem to remember someone trying to get one started here on E about a year ago, myself.  Though I can't remember much more about it, sadly. ^^;

If you want to try and start up a Planescape game, though, you could certainly count me in. ^^

It was one of the many suggestions I put forth before the group and we eventually decided on a more down to earth setting where they could create their own kingdom and society. I kind of still would like to do a planescape game using pathfinder rules with some races added in (like modrons) but after the last few games Ive tried to run I dont think E has the dedication for the kinds of games I like to run
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Kuje

I already have a play by post game and a email game going on right now, so I don't want to DM another game at this time. If one of those ends, then it's possible.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  Actually, the one I'm thinking of may have been Sigil Prep, rather than Planescape.  I'd kind of prefer 3.5, rather than Pathfinder, myself, but I'd certainly be willing to try a Pathfinder game, too.

Either way, the main thing would be requiring players to use at least one piece of homebrew material each. ^^; That would be the really important part.

Brandon

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 05, 2011, 09:04:56 PM
Hmm.  Actually, the one I'm thinking of may have been Sigil Prep, rather than Planescape.  I'd kind of prefer 3.5, rather than Pathfinder, myself, but I'd certainly be willing to try a Pathfinder game, too.

Either way, the main thing would be requiring players to use at least one piece of homebrew material each. ^^; That would be the really important part.

Actually it was going to be set in Sigil. If memory serves it was a game where the characters were planar explorer's hired by the Guvner faction

Anyway, Ive never been afraid of allowing homebrew stuff in as long as I think its balanced. However most of the homebrew stuff Ive seen has been anything but. With all the elemental planetouched, celestial/infernal planetouched, and the variety of regular races along with a few odd ones out (i.e. tengu and Dhampir) I think there lots of races to make a unique planescape themed game. I would only demand that Bariur and Modrons be added. I mean a planescape without those races is like a jaws movie without a massive shark

Kuje

Quote from: Brandon on July 05, 2011, 09:11:32 PM
I would only demand that Bariur and Modrons be added. I mean a planescape without those races is like a jaws movie without a massive shark

And Razorvine, if you are in Sigil. Sentient Razorvine is even more entertaining!

Kunoichi

Yeah, I meant that the game I remember seeing wasn't the one you'd tried to start up. ^^;

The thing is, it isn't the Planescape or whatever the setting might be that's at the heart of the idea I've got, it's the requiring of homebrew.  It's just that Planescape is the setting that best allows for such an anything-goes approach to character creation, so...

Ah, and both Modrons and Bariaurs have been updated to 3.5, though since Pathfinder lacks the Living Construct subtype, I'm not sure if the intended playable version of Modrons would transfer over all that well.  They've certainly got stats for them, though.

LunarSage

Oh!  I forgot to mention the sweetest thing about Pathfinder in my opinion...

No. Freaking. XP. Costs. Period.

No xp costs for item crafting... no xp costs for wishes... nothing.  Paying xp was a ridiculous idea in my opinion. 

Wizard:  "I just made this sweet magic ring!  But er... I forgot what I learned in last month's adventure."  o.O

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Myrleena

I like homebrew, as long as I think it's reasonably balanced.  The relative...lack thereof always makes me cautious about such, though.

And I know very, very little about Planescape.  Actually...I pretty much only know its name.  But I have fond memories of Sigil, as I ran an epic level game out of there, with my own spin on it due to insufficient information...ah, that was fun.  The vampire monk got eaten by his Handy Haversack when it spawned tentacles and turned into a bag of devouring.  He'd left a shard of the stuff the Abyss is made out of in the backpack for a month, then botched his rolls to escape the backpack.

Kuje

Quote from: Myrleena on July 05, 2011, 09:35:09 PM
I like homebrew, as long as I think it's reasonably balanced.  The relative...lack thereof always makes me cautious about such, though.

And I know very, very little about Planescape.  Actually...I pretty much only know its name.  But I have fond memories of Sigil, as I ran an epic level game out of there, with my own spin on it due to insufficient information...ah, that was fun.  The vampire monk got eaten by his Handy Haversack when it spawned tentacles and turned into a bag of devouring.  He'd left a shard of the stuff the Abyss is made out of in the backpack for a month, then botched his rolls to escape the backpack.

Ouch, that's just wrong, but very funny.

Brandon

I would rule Modrons as a lawfully aligned outsider and likely give them a racial ability to support their mechanical and lawful nature that would be roughly equal to a feat. Kind of like the half orc's ferocity or skill focus for half elves. However rogue Modrons would probably made a shift to native outsider like Tieflings and aasimar

Bariar's would need to be built from the ground up because, if memory serves, in 3.5 they are like ECL 6 or something like that

Anyway, Im not opposed to allowing for homebrew but requiring it is something else. IMO people should be able to play what they want within reason and if someone just wants to be a human I dont see an issue for a planescape setting. Now if this were the setting I made revolving around a world where the only races were elementally touched then I would say yeah that kind of thing was needed

Brandon

Quote from: LunarSage on July 05, 2011, 09:34:33 PM
Oh!  I forgot to mention the sweetest thing about Pathfinder in my opinion...

No. Freaking. XP. Costs. Period.

No xp costs for item crafting... no xp costs for wishes... nothing.  Paying xp was a ridiculous idea in my opinion. 

Wizard:  "I just made this sweet magic ring!  But er... I forgot what I learned in last month's adventure."  o.O

I 100% agree. Xp spending was IMO the dumbest thing ever. I hated it so much that I just house ruled it completely out of my game

Kunoichi

Yeah, but I don't just mean races, when I say homebrew. It could easily be a class, or a feat, or a magic item or spell...

...Eh, never mind.  The idea doesn't seem to be all that popular, so I'll just shelve it away for proposal at a later date.

LunarSage

It depends on the homebrew thing in question really.  I've made things in the past that turned out to be very unbalanced, so it's a slippery slope.  A lot of people fear that a homebrew idea won't be balanced and that's why you get hesitation when mentioning homebrew ideas to a DM.

Myrleena

Quote from: Kuje on July 05, 2011, 09:38:24 PM
Ouch, that's just wrong, but very funny.

Eh, he rather deserved it, actually.  They had an opportunity to get rid of it, and he ignored it.  And he forgot about it.  For a month.  I was flabbergasted, but...I figured he could get away from a set of tentacles with a mere grapple check of +20.  I was wrong.

Kunoichi

*shrugs*

Well, I did state when I initially proposed the idea that each piece of homebrew would have to be carefully looked over by the person running the game to make sure it wasn't unbalanced.  I probably should have repeated that statement at some point, though...

Quote from: Myrleena on July 05, 2011, 09:57:58 PM
Eh, he rather deserved it, actually.  They had an opportunity to get rid of it, and he ignored it.  And he forgot about it.  For a month.  I was flabbergasted, but...I figured he could get away from a set of tentacles with a mere grapple check of +20.  I was wrong.

Plus, he was a Monk, so... :P

Brandon

Im sure a homebrew friendly game would bring a lot of great class/race concepts but as a GM I just dont feel its right requiring someone to create something when theres plenty of usable stuff already available.

LunarSage

Oh don't get me wrong, Kunoichi... I think sharing homebrew stuff can be pretty awesome, too.  The point of this thread doesn't exclude that sort of thing, so feel free to share anything that you or anyone else has created, whether it's "official" or not.  ;D

I think I'm reading what you were saying correctly.  If not I apologize... it's fairly late and I spent the day moving so I'm a bit tired.  ;)

Kuje

Quote from: Myrleena on July 05, 2011, 09:57:58 PM

True, anything that the players forget about for that long is fair game for the DM to use against them. :)