Ravenloft: Borne of Decadence

Started by Faeylin, September 02, 2009, 05:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeylin

Note: This game is more or less full at the moment. You can propose character ideas, and I would take 2-3 more players who were really good and active writers, with unique and interesting character concepts; I also have a handful of bit characters (servant girls and boys, mostly) to hand out. So let me know if you are interested. There will be room for additional characters, I'm sure, after this first story reaches a conclusion (expect that to be anywhere from several weeks to a month or two)

Borne of Decadence, a D&D/D20/Freeform Ravenloft game

About the game's system: This game is primarily about telling dark and terrifying stories. To that end we're going to use a combination of D20 rules and freeform storytelling to get through our adventurers.

For those players who love the numbers and systems, you will have a character sheet, with levels and scores and stats and feats. You will gain experience, and develop in power as our stories unfold. You're free to make as many rolls as you'd like, and the numbers you come up with *will* have an impact on the story and the success or failure of your actions. However, I will always reserve the right to say that certain actions can fail, even when it looks like you might succeed, or that certain actions will succeed, even when it looks like you've overwhelmingly failed. The stats and dice are a tool we'll use to tell the story with

For those players who abhor all the complexities of a roleplaying system, you will also have a character sheet. I'll manage it for you, so you won't be required to directly interact with it in any way or understand the game's "rules." Stats will be converted to a rough idea of your character's strengths and weaknesses (ie agile, a bit weak and fragile, but quite charming), and your success or failure at different actions will be determined by how those actions line up with your abilities. You provide the concept for your character, and a brief overview of his special qualities and flaws, and you play from there; everything is handled in story form for you.

The Setting

About Ravenloft: It's a world of clinging vapors and dark nights, of horrors that lurk in the familiar as well as the exotic. Creepy ghost stories and gory werewolf tales. Gypsies and dark curses. Ravenloft is a gothic horror setting, similar to the World of Darkness settings. Ravenloft is different in that it rip its inspiration from the nightmare tales of our culture: Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, Bram Stoker's Dracula, the Grimm Brother's book of horrifying children's tales, etc. It's a creepy place where anything can happen, as long as it adheres to the theme of dark horror.

About Dementlieu: The story proper opens up in a land called Dementlieu (Dementlieu @ Ravenloft Wiki). In many ways, it's a time and place meshed somewhere between the age of Renaissance and the Victorian era. The land is ruled by nobles, and while there is magic in the lands, it's dismissed as a tool for entertainment and amusement. Science (and pseudo-science) exist in ample supply in Dementleiu. In large cultural centers, inventors have mastered the ability to harness electricity for simple lights, and items like clocks and primitive firearms are readily available. The setting will have a distinctly Victorian feel to it, at least to start.

The Characters

Your Characters: I will be providing a list of character concepts for the intro story for this game. They are not meant to be restrictive, but they will give you a very clear idea of what's acceptable for the setting. We're sticking mostly to plain humans (with a handful of exceptions), without excessive special features or extraordinary qualities (again, with a couple of exceptions). The bulk (or perhaps all) of the group is going to be made up of young aristocrats; this is your chance to play a noble brat of Victorian proportions.

Romance and sex are always important, and we are playing on adult boards, so expect that a lot of the story will drift to adult themes. Part of creating a character will involve selecting your character's sexuality (homo, hetero, or bisexual) and your interest in sexual/romantic play. As far as adult play goes, you can also set yourself to be very flirty (open to plenty of play), rather prudish (more on the sidelines, watching), or to anything in between. Romance and limited adult play (not terribly graphic) will be available with countless NPCs (played by me) as well as with other players. You should be turned on, or giggly with butterflies, at least as much as you are scared and horrified for your character's fates.

The World Around You: Expect it to be rich and fluid, with dozens of characters in the world around you at any given time. I find it very easy to slip on a hundred different masks, so there will be someone to meet your characters wherever you go. I'm also rather voracious, so I have no problem keeping up with as many as 7-8 players. Expect a dynamic and fluid world that creates itself around you as you explore.
"Come into my parlor," said the spider, ever sly.
"I have these sexy, long legs, and I'd love to suck you dry!"

Ons & Offs - My Idea Thread [F/F]

Faeylin

The Opening Story

A pair of servants talk in the privacy of their work:

"No, they didn't!" spoke an older and very rotund woman. She was dressed in the simple white and black uniform of a house maid, and she stood before at a vat of steaming liquid, dipping the finery of her noble lords and ladies into it.

"They sure did," spoke a long and thin girl who helped in the kitchen. "The Lord and Lady bought that old Avonleigh place. Even worse...the first thing their dumb git of a daughter decided to do was throw a party there for her friends. A party! Can you believe that?" She looked around as she spoke, to make sure the wrong ears didn't overhear her comment.

The older woman set her large tongs down, putting her hands on her hips. "But ain't that the one place where that man killed his wife...and drowned his little boy and girl?" She shook her head disapprovingly. "I ain't going with them. I flat out refuse!"

The younger and slimmer of the two shook her head, laughing nervously. "That's the place alright. Folk that visit it these days say they hear strange noises, and that things just ain't right in a place like that. Where people have died, you know?"

The other woman nodded, concern creasing her forehead. "I sure do hope them stories be just the tall talk of imagination. I'd hate to think what would become of that young girl and her friends if they were true." Here the woman shivers a bit, and makes some sort of sign at her forehead; whether it was some religious motion, or a gesture to ward off the evil eye, the other servant didn't know.

"Forgets that lot! I worry more about my sister and mum. They have to go along to cook for those fools." The girl shook her head, frustrated. "Nobles. Sometimes I just wish we could be done with the whole lot of them. Nothing but trouble, I say," The two women resumed their work, chattering like mice about how unfair their life was. They did not speak of Avonleigh again that day.

Setting: The opening story takes place in the land of Dementlieu, and more specifically, the Manor of Avonleigh. Everyone knows that something dreadful happened at the great home, but each of the hundred stories told about the place contains only a kernel of truth. Many people are convinced that the place is haunted, but only the dumb and superstitious lower classes put stock in such nonsense.

A powerful noble family purchases the home and surrounding lands at a steal , and the daughter of that family decides to invite many of her friends along for a weekend of revelry at the new estate. Several guards and servants are dragged along for the ride.

As the story develops, something comes out to play. There will be much screaming, and many of the characters will die with horror painted across their faces. But in the end, the survivors will have to discover the secret of Avonleigh, and confront the dark force that toys with them.

Through great trial, a circle of friends from many different walks of life and social classes will be formed. Souls who have seen the dark, and who have been forever changed by their experiences.

Theme: This is a ghost story. It expect it to be slow and mysterious at times (a la The Haunting) and at others it should genuinely creep you out (more like The Grudge). It's going to be fun, scary and sexy.

Faeylin

House Rules

Be Active: Because we're playing with a large number of people, it's not okay to keep people waiting for more than 48 hours. After this time, I'll step in an act on your character's behalf or push you to the sidelines of the story, so that faster-paced players can continue on without waiting. Not every response has to be beautiful and eloquent. Sometimes just stating your character's actions is enough to let the story continue.  If you're going to need some time away, bring it up in advance so we can write your character to a place where a break in your attendance seems natural. Chronically missing players are subject to experiencing character death.

Flag Questionable Content: This game is going to go into the Extreme category, because there may be very grotesque and scary things in the story; it just seems safe to stick it there. If your post contains any of the following topics, please flag it appropriately at the beginning of your post, and give a very brief overview of the action without going into much detail. Non-extreme content that should definitely be flagged: m/m or f/f sex (the two foppish boys fooling around), exotic sex (that poor girl who finds a werewolf in the woods), tentacle sex (she thought she was alone in the cellar, but something slithered over her ankle), etc.

It would even be okay to go the other way, and flag all sexual content, but the more mainstream the story is, the less necessary this becomes. This just provides readers & players with a way to skip explicit content that falls into their offs category. An example post is provided below:

[F/F, NC, Blood, Vampires] Leyla makes out with the peasant girl, Louise. She bites Louise midway through and kills her.

---

Leyla slips her hand between Louise's legs, her teeth nipping at the girl's throat, etc, etc.

Be Open-Minded: A big point here is men, especially, who freeze up the moment there's a hint of male-male content; it can involve all sorts of other sexual ideas and practices. I for one am not a super big fan of m/f stuff, but I plan on writing it (and doing it well) anyway. You don't have to read everything in great detail, and your character can certainly object to alternate sexual ideas and practices, but no one should make another player feel uncomfortable for their ideas and thoughts. If it's very extreme and disrupting, I'll speak with the individual privately to ask them to tone something down. Content prohibited by the site rules is still not welcome in the game.

Faeylin

Character Concepts

Note: Please feel free to propose other characters, and if they fit in with the setting, we'll see. The character must be able to come up with some sort of attachment to the group beyond the opening story. I see the characters forming into a sort of circle of old friends, after the initial story occurs, and from there they'll be drawn to knew places and adventurers with their newly-opened minds. Any of the listed concepts can be altered or combined, just let me know!

Open: 1-2 Servants/Peasants, 1-2 Guards, 5-6 Aristocrats

The Groundskeeper: Possibly half-elf, or even half-Vistani (ie gypsy). Does not fit in with the rest of the group. Much poorer, simpler possessions. Viewed with distrust, an outsider. Could be male or female, although male seems more likely. Has more rural skills, such as gardening and animal husbandry. May have a few dark secrets, and will definitely be a source of interest for many players and characters if part gypsy.

The Servant: A servant of any age or gender. However, remember that female servants tend to be employed in more traditional roles (maids & cooks and possibly gardeners), while male servants tend to attend to things like animal husbandry, hunting, fetching firewood and making repairs to the homes of the noble families. In any case, you have certain beliefs or skills that set you apart. Perhaps you sneak off at night to secret and orgiastic meetings; maybe you secretly loathe your society, and you attempt to create turmoil among your lower-class fellows. Perhaps you're secretly the lover of a nobleman/woman, and the secret gives you much more power than your station would ordinarily hold.

The Heiress: Young brat, and a central figure in the opening story. It's her family that is purchasing Avonleigh Manor, and she is the one who has invited her friends along to inspect the new property. Haughty, demanding, gets what she wants. Beautiful to a fault. Loves attention and showing off. Exceptionally strong social skills, and possibly a very smart mind. Might be a bit cruel and dark. Has a classic aristocratic education, and plenty of money to play with. Comes from a very powerful family.

The Entertainer (Bella, played by Faeylin): Very attractive girl/boy who's of a minor noble family. Invited to social events precisely because she's interesting and exciting. Performer of some kind, and quite the socialite in her own right. Educated and smart, but relies on the good will of her friends to enjoy the same quality of life as they do. Looked down upon by some of their crowd because her family isn't as powerful or wealthy as the rest.

The Womanizer/Slut: Insatiable flirt, who may or may not have a committed partner. In any case, the womanizer (male) or slut (female) enjoys the attention of others and actively toys with whomever they can. This character might be just a tease (who never puts out), or they may sleep around quite freely. Tends to be a very charming and attractive individual. May be heterosexual, homosexual, or omnisexual :P

The Prude: While she enjoys the company of her friends, she doesn't approve of their habits. She is pious and meek, even though religion is frowned upon in Dementlieu; constantly caught in a struggle between the decadence of her friends and the beliefs of her family/faith. The good girl who never, ever dies in scary movies (until now?).

The Manipulator: Enjoys the play of court and the game of being a noble, but is primarily motivated by a lust for power. Dark and embarrassing secrets can become a currency, and though her friends may be young, one day they will come into power and wealth. Manipulating them for his own ends, this character intends to profit and control those around him.

The Husband: Married to the wife. May or may not be faithful. Newlywed, and struggling to come to terms with this new change in lifestyle. Might be a hopeless romantic, fiercely in love with his wife, or might be secretly gay, and sporting a male lover on the side. May sleep around freely or may be too shy to have sex with his wife; go crazy here.

The Wife: Like the husband above, but female; paired with him. May be with or without child.

With Child: The servant or aristocrat is obviously female, and she is in the early stages of pregnancy. If the character is wedded (as above), this might be a celebrated fact. However, if the character is single, and the baby is the result of an indiscretion, then this might be a dark, dark secret. May be clingy and possessive over her lover, who may or may not love her back. Again, so many different types of characters could play with this character trait.

The Mother/Father: Think long and hard about this concept, because children don't necessarily flow well with the story. Their disappearance from the game will be handled with tact and care, but this player is setting her character up for incredible disappointment at some future time. Children are so weak and innocent...can they be protected? An alternative may be a smart mother/father who keeps their children far from their adventures and exploits. Parenting from afar?

Sensitive to the Supernatural: This character (and there will only be one allowed to start) is a true believer in the supernatural. She has felt and seen things; sometimes very frightening things, although she doesn't often speak of her experiences to others. After all, they'd just think she was crazy, wouldn't they?

Class Concepts

Note: These are just some ideas of what characters of different classes might look like. As they learn more about their world, it's likely that these paths to power will become more obvious to them; for now, though, they just represent starting skill sets. Your characters don't think of themselves as wizards or bards; just having dabbled in hedge magic or able to play several charming tunes on the piano.

The Hothead (Barbarian): A brute of a character, with a short temper and a general lack of self-control. Tends to approach every situation with the use of force. Illiteracy isn't appropriate for aristocratic characters, and is waived.

The Socialite (Bard): Attractive and a lover of attention. Tends to have some sort of skill in performing, whether singing or dancing, or playing an instrument of some kind. Tends to be very vocal and chatty, and knows a lot about many different topics. May even have dabbled in some hedge magic learned from a stray book; minor magical tricks are all the vogue among younger aristocrats these days.

The Devout (Cleric): Religion isn't a very strong thing in Dementlieu, but that doesn't mean that the various families don't have beliefs. This character comes from a stricter family, with certain principles (based on their particular faith). Enjoys spending time with friends, and playing the games aristocrats play, but slips off to pray and meditate. Might be able to call on supernatural powers in a time of great need. Might be part of a secret cult of some kind.

The Witch (Druid): Plays the games his/her friends do, but finds solace in natural environments as well. Frequently slips outside to enjoy nature. Sometimes feels as if animals can hear and understand them; but of course that's probably just in their head. May or may not start with an animal companion; depends on how common/exotic the chosen animal is.

The Guardsman (Fighter): A guard to the noble families, accompanying the young aristocrats to ensure their protection. Skilled in martial weapons, and in the defense of a manor.

The Soldier (Fighter, Paladin or Rogue): May have been in one of Dementlieu's wars against neighboring realms. The experience may have been harsh or short-lived, but it did impart some basic knowledge of weapons and armor and martial fighting to your character.

The Duelist (Fighter, Paladin or Rogue): An aristocrat concerned with honor, this character tends to resolve differences in opinion by the tradition of dueling. Maybe with swords, or perhaps with pistols. Duels might be to first blood, or in a serious question of honor, to death. Dueling is, of course, quite illegal, but society tends to look the other way when these things happen.

The Cavalier (Paladin or Fighter: A noble gentleman who has his ideals intact. A modern knight, who knows the arts of combat well. Good and virtuous, his friends often find him a bore. Still, someone with integrity can attract a certain amount of envy and admiration. May just feed the image because he enjoys it, or might be a very idealistic and naive young man (or woman!).

The Woodsman (Ranger): An affluent lover of the woods, or perhaps a commoner who enjoys hunting and spending time in the wilds. This character knows how to defend themselves from the perils of the forest, and has dealt with large predators in the past. Favored enemy can be chosen after the first story.

The Scholar (Mage): Enjoys the company of his friends, but often retreats to his books for comfort and pleasure. The bookworm, who knows an annoying amount about everything; the first person his friend's run to when they have a questions on nature or science. Probably mastered a bit of magic in the course of his studies.

The Sorcerer (Sorcerer): Aristocrat or peasant, it hardly matters. This character has always had special powers, which they tend to keep hidden. Making a candle flare up, or wishing things into existence. Neat and wondrous little abilities belong to this character, but they can't be too obvious, or others might think they're a bit weird. The cook who can light her kindling with a flick of her fingers might not enjoy the attention she receives for her gifts.

The Foreigner (Monk, or any class): Only one of these is allowed, and I'd prefer to save it to make a monk character workable. If no one is interested, it might be adaptable for other classes. A foreigner who does not quite fit into Dementlieu, but who has found a place of comfort in friendship or servitude. Kept by an aristocrat for the sake of novelty. May have a very foreign mindset, or may have adapted to civilized life. Think of the Indian character in Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Faeylin

Character Creation

Note: There are a few basic things every character should include, whether free-form or rules-based. I provide a template, along with the details of my character Isabella ('Bella') Levoreaux. If you need help with any of these details, feel free to let me know!

Base Character Information (System & Freeform)

Name: Your characters name; Isabella ('Bella') Levoreaux.
Race: Should be human unless you talk with me first; Human
Alignment: Lawful, Neutral, or Chatoic + Good, Neutral, or Evil; Neutral Good
Age: Can vary wildly; would like to keep the core group of aristocrats between 16 & 27; 19
Height & Weight: Self-explanatory; 5' 4" & 120 lbs.
Sexual Orientation: Hetero, Homo or Bisexual; Bisexual (will flirt with men, but would only be intimate with a woman)
Sexual Nature: Slut, Prude, or something in between (or how much you'd like to play with characters and NPCs); Tease. Quite the flirt, Bella nevertheless keeps her purity and innocence intact. Her parents have instilled the importance of keeping her virginity intact; they expect her to marry well in the near future.

Appearance: What does your character look like? Bella is rather short and thin, but her body is curved in the right places; she would generally considered to be very attractive. Her long hair is a mess of black curls, and she has clever, green eyes. Her voice is especially pretty, and she's known to be an excellent singer and musician.

Personality & Motives: How does your character act and present themselves, and what are his/her motivations? Bella is a curious girl, and tends to get herself and others into trouble. She's playful, entertaining, and incredibly charming. She has very little wealth to support herself, so she's always careful to remain in the good graces of her friends that support her. She's careful about keeping her distance from others, and tries very hard to discourage any romantic intimacy; she's on the hunt for a suitable and prestigious marriage, and she doesn't want anything to get in the way of that. Secretly she longs for a different life, full of adventure and love and freedom, but she's resigned herself to the idea of a good marriage and an active social life.

Background/Concept: What is your character's concept, and where do they come from? Bella is the only daughter of a minor noble family. Although her parents have a meager home and limited wealth compared to those of her friends, they gave their daughter everything she needed to climb the social ladder and marry well. Bella's worth is in the girl herself: her charm, her attractive body and mannerisms, and her penchant for slipping in and becoming integral to the social circles around her. She's an avid performer and storyteller, and is often the life of the parties her friends throw.

Character Creation, System

Note: Feel free to use a character generator or an online character sheet to finish up your character. Bella & Myth-Weavers

Stats: You start out with the following stats, allocated in any manner you prefer: 18, 16, 14, 14, 10, 10. Alternatively, you can substitute a slightly more flawed/exceptional point spread, choosing the following stats instead: 18, 18, 14, 14, 10, 8; Bella's stats are: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 18.

Level: All characters begin at level one. Bella is level one.

Class: All characters start with a core class from the D20/3.5 Player's Handbook; abilities may operate differently in Ravenloft, as per the Sword & Sorcery Ravenloft Campaign Setting book. Bella is a Bard.

HP: Max hp for first level; using hp very loosely here, so don't get too concerned with the number you see. Bella has 6 hit points, and is in good health; everything is still attached!.

Languages: Everyone should know Mordentish, the language of the land. Other common languages are Lamordian, Falkovnian, Halfling; other racial and magical languages are acceptable as well. Bella knows Mordentish, Lamordian, Falkovnian and Halfling.

Skills: You start out with your appropriate number of skill points, allotted as you see fit. If you are playing an aristocratic character, it might be wise to place some points into the various knowledges. *hint, hint* Bella has [((6+4)*4)+4] 44 skill points, spread out between the skills on her character sheet. Note her many points in knowledges; she's a well-educated character.

Feats: Humans start off with two feats, while all other races start with only. Since you're likely a human, pick any two feats from anywhere that go along with your character concept and fit the setting. It would be wise to check the feats in the Ravenloft Campaign Setting; and it helps to mention that characters may choose to be proficient in firearms by using a feat. Avoid power-gaming for the purposes of combat, because we're not going be exclusively handling combat via rolls. Bella chooses Virtuoso and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Firearms) for her two feats.

Class Abilities: Feel free to record them. We're not going to make extensive use of any supernatural abilities until we get a it further into the story. Magic is allowed from the start, but it should be treated as simple hedge magic, or spells cast for the sake of entertainment. Familiars and animal companions aren't around until after the first story is complete. Bella has all the normal, level one bard abilities but she won't actually make use of any of them for anything important until her life, and those of her friends, is in danger; there's simply no motivation to turn her natural abilities towards anything too constructive.

Character Creation, Freeform

Stats: You start out with six different traits, including: Strength (physical power), Dexterity (agility), Constitution (strength of body), Intelligence, Wisdom (common sense and force of will) and Charisma (attractiveness derived from both physical appearance and character). Simply order them from most exceptional to weakest trait, and I'll handle the rest. Bella chose: Charisma, Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution, Strength.

Class: Pick one of the class concepts above, and then choose a specific class. Barbarians are rough and imposing fighters; Bards are attractive performers and socialites; Clerics are characters with religious themes; Druids are in tune with nature, and revere it; Fighters are experts at martial warfare; Rangers are trackers and hunters; Paladins are your traditional white knights; Rogues are slippery, manipulative and deceptive; Mages are bookish casters; Sorcerers are natural casters; Monks are unavailable. Pick one you like and that fits your characters, and leave it at that. Bella is a Bard.

Feats & Skills: Does your character know how to use firearms? I'll pick any additional feats and allocate your skill points to be in line with your character concept. Act out your concept, and you won't have any problems getting things done. Bella knows how to use firearms and she is an accomplished performer.

Special Abilities: I'll give you a brief list of what your characters can do; feel free to draw from that list of abilities as often or as rarely as you'd like. Your characters can attempt to take any actions within their concepts, and the list is a good starting point for what's within their capabilities. Bella can use magic through her singing and dancing (and general performance). She can fascinate creatures simply by playing music, and can also try to block attacks made via sound (like a banshee wailing) with her own music. She also knows a little bit of hedge magic, including the following spells: Detect Magic (can sense magic), Mending (can make repairs to simple items), Light (can make items glow like a lantern), Prestidigitation (can perform simple tricks wth magic).

Character Creation, Final (System & Freeform)

Money & Items: We're not paying attention to it. Your character concept should spell out what your relative means are, and if you try to do something outside of that, I'll speak up. If you need a specific item for something in story (a candle to explore with or a needle to pick a lock), we're going to just assume that you have those items if it seems reasonable. Any time I want to limit you in some way (running out of food and water, or out of gold), I'll expressly state it and your characters can work around that limitation. Bella has some money, but is not very well off; she depends on her friends to support her lifestyle.

Special Items, Jewelry, Weapons, etc: If there is something unique that you want your character to have, then jot it down here. For the purposes of keeping it brief, each character may pick three special and unique items for their character. This includes weapons! We'll leave the rest to be unnamed and assumed. Consider this additional fluff for your characters. Bella has three items of importance to her. One is a polished silver mirror, inlaid with jewels, that belonged to her great grandmother. The second is a fine comb, made from carved whale bone and inlaid with pearls; her father gave it to her when she was just a girl. The final item of importance is a beautiful dagger that she often keeps nearby; she's never actually used it for anything, but it excites her to hold the sharpened blade sometimes.

Current Character Concepts Proposed

(Foreigner) Elf Wizard; the only really exotic character to the story; more details incoming

(Commoner; Servant) Blacksmith with dreams of more; a Will Turner-esque character in love with a noblewoman

(Commoner; Servant) Butler/Companion, probably to a male nobleman; more details incoming.

(Commoner/Noble?; Slut) A female companion to one of the noble gentleman, no one is quite sure what to make of her. She's definitely attractive, and she seems open to playing and being played with; there are times where she very much seems the aristocrat, and other times she appears to be a commoner in pretty clothes; eye candy.

(Noble; Heiress x2) So far we have two very spoiled young women, and there's room for more. Think of this as a circle of friends, who compete and snipe at one another; deep down, they're a clique and a unit, but there's always tension there. Characters will each be unique personalities.

(Noble, Social Butterfly) A noble girl from an impoverished family. She enjoys an elevated lifestyle through the generosity of her friends. An accomplished performer, she often sings and tells stories to amuse her friends. Adept at maneuvering through various crowds and social circles, she hopes to elevate her family's place in society by making a good marriage...even if she could never give her heart to a man. Flirty, teasy and playful, but never intimate (so far).

(Noble, The Heroine) A noble woman with strong ideals and beliefs. She's very protective over her friends and companions, especially her female friends.

(Noble, The Romantic Dreamer) Sweet, innocent, quite obviously attracted to girls; the young noble woman is quite the dreamer, and is frequently in her own world. Nevertheless, she's a very warm and compassionate person, and a joy to have around

(Noble, The Dashing Gentleman) Dark, mysterious, and often quiet, this male noble is nevertheless quite charming. He has been known to play with both men and women, but his affairs are usually kept private. Well educated and hailing from a very powerful family.

(Noble: The Slut) Fun-loving and playful, this noble girl seems to get around quite a bit. It's difficult to resist her charming nature and very sexual appetites. She's rash, impulsive, and hedonistic

(Noble, The Manipulator) There is a character with this concept already, but I'm not naming names.

Characters Wanted & Plot Hooks Available

Let me know if you have any roles that you'd like filled for your characters; these can be characters played by me, that support your character's concept..or we can leave it open for other players to fill those roles.

*Seeking a noblewoman (may require a certain personality type) for a secret love affair; she may not know anything about it, but a certain commoner just might have his eye set on a particular lady.

*Looking for a master manipulator to play and toy with his/her friends. Can be male or female, but if female, she should be rather dominant and into girls; a bisexual female character, or a straight male character would be wonderful for this role; must be an extremely (write well, be active and imaginative) capable player for this role, as it's going to be very demanding. Will have some help from me here with working your plans to fruition.

*Would love several male nobles to pop in as well. Dueling, hunting and girl/wench-chasing are popular activities for these sorts, although I would absolutely adore a gay or bisexual male nobleman; just completely fits in with the setting, and would add wonderful flavor to the story. Straight male nobles are also quite important and needed!

Faeylin

We could really use some noblemen and noblewomen to round out our cast. There have been a few people interested in playing commoner/lower-class types, and while we do have room for them, I really envisioned the story focused around a close group of upper class aristocrats. We need stars and starlets!

Character Thread: Post your characters here

OOC thread: Chat here once you're all set up to play and accepted!

Chaos

I've been watching this thread with interest, and i'd very much like to play. I have a character idea, and wanted to check it with you before I did the full character gen. Some folk don't like guys playing female characters, so if that's a problem, I'll come up with a male instead.

You may be glad to hear my concept is for a noble - Katrina d'Errineiu, a young and decadent noble woman from an obscenely rich family, with a few sorcerous powers.

NinaN

I am only familiar with D&D rules from some single player computer games I've tried, but with a little help in the beginning I am sure I could handle the system here.

Looking over the character ideas here I think I'd be most useful as the slut.  I see her as being omnisexual and widely considered by the group to be mostly harmless.  But those who have met with her late at night might tell a different story, if they were willing.

Transgirlenstein

Is the Heiress still available?  I love Ravenloft and have some ideas I want to run by you in playing her.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Faeylin

Okay, we have quite a few people interested in the game. I'm willing to go with a larger crowd for the first story, because it seems like games always lose people over time. There will be several opportunities to trim the cast at a later time. Some character types/concepts that we still need and I would love to see played, include: The Manipulator (think Cruel Intentions here) and Sensitive to the supernatural (the boy/girl who can see ghosts, but tends to be too afraid/embarassed to share those visions; a source of major creepiness). We can always use more nobles!

Quote from: Chaos on September 04, 2009, 04:16:24 AM
I've been watching this thread with interest, and i'd very much like to play. I have a character idea, and wanted to check it with you before I did the full character gen. Some folk don't like guys playing female characters, so if that's a problem, I'll come up with a male instead.

You may be glad to hear my concept is for a noble - Katrina d'Errineiu, a young and decadent noble woman from an obscenely rich family, with a few sorcerous powers.

Nope, anyone can play anything. This is a story, and I don't mind any character of any persuasion; besides, I have to admit I enjoy the idea of tormenting the girls quite a bit :P

Create away!

Quote from: NinaI am only familiar with D&D rules from some single player computer games I've tried, but with a little help in the beginning I am sure I could handle the system here.

Looking over the character ideas here I think I'd be most useful as the slut.  I see her as being omnisexual and widely considered by the group to be mostly harmless.  But those who have met with her late at night might tell a different story, if they were willing.

I would love a character of that persuasion. I'm after a wide mix of personalities; while I can completely support the story with many, many bit characters, I'd love to watch the players interact with one another as well. And everyone is perfectly encouraged to have dark secrets hidden away here and there. So just spill anything privately via a PM, and go crazy. If you want to just follow the free form rules above, Nina, you totally don't have to be familiar with the rules to play. Create as much as you can on your own (name, background, appearance, concept, etc.) and I'll take care of the rest for you.

Quote from: QueentrippingserpentIs the Heiress still available?  I love Ravenloft and have some ideas I want to run by you in playing her.

Okay, I do have someone that has expressed a little bit of interest in her, but if you're interested as well, we can modify it to make room for both of you. First, there could be two sisters and you could play either the older or younger of the pair; also, remember that the Heiress concept just happens to be a member of the family that is buying Avonleigh Manor in the first story...her friends are the sons and daughters of powerful nobles, so if you'd like to play the daughter of a competing noble family, that works as well. Share your concept (here or via PM) and I'll talk with the other player as well to mesh things out for both of you.

Chaos

Quote from: Faeylin on September 04, 2009, 10:29:28 AM
Okay, we have quite a few people interested in the game. I'm willing to go with a larger crowd for the first story, because it seems like games always lose people over time. There will be several opportunities to trim the cast at a later time. Some character types/concepts that we still need and I would love to see played, include: The Manipulator (think Cruel Intentions here) and Sensitive to the supernatural (the boy/girl who can see ghosts, but tends to be too afraid/embarassed to share those visions; a source of major creepiness). We can always use more nobles!

Nope, anyone can play anything. This is a story, and I don't mind any character of any persuasion; besides, I have to admit I enjoy the idea of tormenting the girls quite a bit :P

Create away!

Okay, then I will - in terms of concept, she's a bit of a slut/maniplulator (dual class? :P ); I hope doubling up the slut concept with Nina's character won't be a problem. I'll get writing, and post her soon as I can. It'll be freeform style, because it's been an age since I looked at D&D, and I don't have the books...

Faeylin

I added a list of current character concepts and characters wanted at the end of the character creation post above. If you're looking for a partner for you concept, let me know and I'll update it above; any empty roles will likely be filled with characters handled by me.

Quote from: Chaos on September 04, 2009, 11:10:16 AM
Okay, then I will - in terms of concept, she's a bit of a slut/maniplulator (dual class? :P ); I hope doubling up the slut concept with Nina's character won't be a problem. I'll get writing, and post her soon as I can. It'll be freeform style, because it's been an age since I looked at D&D, and I don't have the books...

I'll take care of all the game details for you, so just do as much of the character freeform as you can, and I'll help with the rest. It's perfectly fine...I think the group can handle quite a bit of promiscuity. Everyone can have their own goals and agendas, and there will be plenty of characters to play with. Once we see a bunch of characters, I'll work with various players to differentiate characters a bit (via background and developing personalities), so don't worry about overcrowding.

As long as I get a good group of nobles (of any type), I'm very happy. It looks like we're really solid right now. So work up those characters, and we'll fit everyone in!

Chaos

Right, here she is then: critique away!

Name: Katrina d'Errineiu (Kat to her friends, Lady Katrina to most)
Race: Human...
Alignment: Neutral Evil (?)
Height & Weight: 5'5", 125 lbs
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual, tending to omni
Sexual Nature: Slut, in as much as she can get away with it. She does need to keep up a pretence of honour for her family's sake, but then again, they're rich and powerful enough that an open secret is secret enough.

Appearance: Short, slender, and carrying some nice curves, Kat is generally considered beautiful. She has long blonde hair, often arranged in some artful way by her maids. Her eyes are stunning blue, and she has a beautiful and expressive smile.

Personality & Motives: Kat is a self-centred girl, mostly interested in her own fun. She has a cruel sense of humour, sometimes, and loves to bend those around her to her whims. She knows full well she doesn't have long before her family finds her a match, and it will certainly be one of political convenience. She won't get any say, and is braced for the worst - some boring Baron or such her family needs a to bind to them. So she is using her freedom while she can, to explore and enjoy things, and hopefully make allies of her own so that she'll be able to do something interesting when she's trapped in the gilded cage she expects to enter soon. With luck, she'll even be able to continue her wild lifestyle behind her husband's back.

Background/Concept: Katrina is the fourth daughter of the House of d'Errineiu, born low enough in the succession that her value as a marriage prospect is questionable. She does, none the less, have the considerable wealth and power of her House behind her, as they take family seriously. Well might they, given that the House is roundly distrusted, rumours of unspeakable behaviour and grave decadence are common. There are even rumours their ancestors consorted with Dark Powers.
Kat laughs at that, of course; what's the point of being rich and powerful if you can't be decadent? She, certainly, intends to enjoy every ounce of it she can. Wild parties, exotic intoxicants, pretty playmates; anything fun, and especially outrageous, interests her. More than anything, she detests being bored. And demons? Really? That's just lesser families' jealousy showing.

Stats: Charisma (18), Wisdom (18), Dexterity(14), Intelligence(14), Constitution(10), Strength(8). (I'm including the system stats here, because I can remember enough of the system to do so, so I figured why not).

Class: Katrina is a Sorceress.

Feats & Skills: Katrina has never used a firearm in her life! Dreadful, noisy, messy weapons.

Special Abilities: Kat has discovered she has a few little tricks she can do - not something she plans on sharing casually, but fun! (as a request, any fire-manipulation sorcery would fit her well I think - but I'll leave the choices to those with access to the rules :) )

Money & Items: Katrina has never needed to care about money - her family name takes care of any bills or debts.

Special Items, Jewelry, Weapons, etc: Kat's three most treasured possessions are:
1) A sharp, surprisingly plain and efficient-looking dagger, that was a gift from her mother. She had it from a hired assassin who tried to kill her while she was pregnant with Kat, and Kat keeps it as a lucky charm more than anything else.

2) Her selection of exotic drugs and intoxicants, kept in a beautiful mother-of-pearl inlaid case. It's not so much the effect of the drugs she cherishes, as the fact that she can get them.

3) And, of course, narcissist that she is, she loves her small silver mirror deeply. A family treasure, it's frame is carved dark wood in the shape of entwined serpents.

(Note: the mention of Dark Forces in the family background is just as a plot hook if it's wanted; it sounded like fun as rumour when I thought of it, and it might explain Sorcerous powers cropping up in the bloodline now and then, but it's not intended to be true - unless the DM wants it to be. That said, if it doesn't fit, it can come out with no trouble at all)

Faeylin

Quote from: Chaos on September 04, 2009, 12:04:50 PM
Right, here she is then: critique away!

(Note: the mention of Dark Forces in the family background is just as a plot hook if it's wanted; it sounded like fun as rumour when I thought of it, and it might explain Sorcerous powers cropping up in the bloodline now and then, but it's not intended to be true - unless the DM wants it to be. That said, if it doesn't fit, it can come out with no trouble at all)

Chaos, she's a beautiful young woman and she will fit quite well into the story. Everything is absolutely perfect. I'll work up a simple character sheet for you, and might have a handful of questions and choices for you to make, but that's more than enough to play with. Accepted. In. I love her. ^^

As far as the plot hook goes, throw in as many as you'd like. It's possible they may not all crop up right away (or ever), but I'm perfectly willing to use a good story seed. The first story is going to be amazing, but I can see doing so much with the setting and the characters we're going to be assembling. Throw out your ideas, but don't blame me if you don't like where they lead :P

Chaos

Heh, I expect I'll like where they go... even if Kat doesn't.

Glad you like her!

Risa

I've expressed interest already, as you know ^^ But I'm not too familiar with DnD.

Faeylin

Quote from: Risa on September 04, 2009, 12:38:33 PM
I've expressed interest already, as you know ^^ But I'm not too familiar with DnD.

Pick a concept of some sort, and fill in as many of the details as you can. If you want to start out simple, and run it past me, I can give you plenty of ideas for things you can choose, to make your character fit more, and to give him/her more detail. I'm really very open to helping out. Once your character is brought to life, all you have to do is play. :P

To give you ideas, the character of Katrina, up above, would be able to play with just that. You'll get a few more details (like she'll have a handful of spells she'll be able to use, and a couple of skills and other abilities), but what's posted is plenty to start with. Wherever I have to make decisions for freeform characters, I'll likely pick a handful of options and just let you decide what fits your character more.

NinaN

Here is my character proposal for Estelle d'Attaine, happy go lucky flirt (slut concept) with a not so happy past:

Name: Estelle d’Attaine
Race: Human
Alignment: Chaotic/Evil
Height & Weight: 5'3” and 111 lbs
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Sexual Nature: Estelle is widely known to be a flirt, mostly harmless, and seldom, if ever follows through with anything beyond flirtation.

Appearance: Slender, but with nice curves.  Like so many women of her day she has a very small waist (18”) with the aid of a corset.  Estelle is always well dressed and well groomed.  One might even think her a member of the aristocracy except that her finery is usually of a color a little too bright and the cut is just a little more revealing than would be considered proper.

Personality & Motives: Estelle is very outgoing, very playful, and seems to want nothing more in life than to have a good time.  If Estelle has any deeper motive than a good time, she hides it well.

Background/Concept: Estelle is a well-groomed and well-educated girl.  She is often found in the company of Nobles and perhaps has a deeper relationship with one of them.  Though she is not of the highest social class she is able to move among the members of that class with ease, making up for what she lacks in family background with an easy charm and wit that many find quite charming.

Stats: Unknown, I suspect Estelle will end up with high charisma though.

Class: Estelle is a Bard

Feats & Skills: Estelle never trained in any type of magic but she found through practice that through the use of her voice, especially used in song, she can often calm another person or even a small group, and occasionally she can even exert a small amount of control.  And, for occasions where her voice proves ineffectual, she carries a small and very sharp stiletto hidden in her garter.

Money & Items: Estelle has her ways of obtaining what she wants, and there is one in particular who supplies what she needs to succeed.

Faeylin

Okay, just so everyone knows, I'll usually make most of my updates and replies in the early morning (Pacific time), so if I'm not around, it's because life is stealing me away. Also, I'm going to tentatively start this game in 5 days, on Wed, Sept 9th. So please get your character concepts in by that point; 5 days is already a long time to wait.

Quote from: NinaNHere is my character proposal for Estell d'Attaine, happy go lucky flirt (slut concept) with a not so happy past:

Perfectly good and acceptable, Nina! I'm going to step in add something that sprung to mind about this character, and if you approve and it works for you, we'll go with it. She's not exactly a noblewoman, by any stretch of the imagination. If it's okay with you, Nina, I see her more as a female companion to one of the male nobles. Everyone in the group knows that she's kind of his plaything, but she's accepted as part of the crowd for his sake. His friend's aren't willing to offend him.

It's kind of odd, though, that Estelle doesn't exactly seem to be his girlfriend. He introduces her as an old friend, more like a sister, but the pair still flirt with each other; her history and past belong to herself. She wears the dress of an aristocrat, and plays the part well enough, but there are many hints that point to a more common upbringing. Nevertheless, she's very tempting and charismatic, and she tends to draw attention one way or the other; either the jealousy of proper young ladies, or the lusts of those who would enjoy the pleasures of her company.

Feel free to use as much or as little of that as you want. ^^

NinaN

Yes, I like your suggestions Faeylin, and I will use them pretty much as you suggest.  There is one thing I am unclear on though and I will ask you about that in a PM.  Thanks.

I expect I will modify my character background post once I'm clear on things.  :)

Faeylin

Okay, a few new things to add. First, I found a wonderful link (in a Ravenloft wiki) that should really help to clear the setting up for everyone. I'm also going to stick it into the original story posts. Dementlieu @ Ravenloft Wiki

Also, Alluistras, my real life partner, is going to step in and help me run the game. She's going to help with a few bit characters here and there, and she's also going to play a bisexual male aristocrat (taking the manipulator concept). So now we have another boy (Yay, we needed a couple of those!). Her character is incoming.

Myrleena

Well, after your invitations, my character concept snuck up and beaned me in the back of the head, so...I'm in.

Faeylin

Yay! I'm happy to have Myrleena on board. It took much begging and bribing :P

Also, something I did kind of find out after some rereading. Dementlieu is more or less France in Victorian times. We're going to keep a very British feel to it, but it might be helpful to know that a lot of the names and places are taken from French inspirations. Ley also gave me another movie, Dangerous Liaisons, to provide as a source for the atmosphere and theme of the place.

The game will also be going beyond the initial story, and further down the line we can expect to pursue all sorts of horror stories; I have a seed of a Jack the Ripper kind of story in my head at the moment, but there are no guarantees. I have too many ideas to commit to anything right now.

limondrop

Yummy~!  Feel free to critique or change <3

Name: Lillian ('Lily') Montague
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Height & Weight: 5'1 90 pounds
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual (will flirt with females but will only be intimate with a man)
Sexual Nature: As a rich heiress, Lillian knows how to make herself the center attention.  While she will flirt, she is conservative with her sexual favors and will tell no one whether or not she remains a virgin.  Lillian knows exactly how to make others ache for her.

Appearance: Lillian is very small boned and thin with a heart shaped face and bright green eyes.  She has thick, dark hair that falls neatly into ringlets.  Lillian is very proud of the flexibility of her appearance which allows her to be convincingly adorable and cute as well as breath- taking and beautiful.

Personality & Motives: Lillian is the youngest in the Montague family and she takes full advantage of this.  Spoiled and bratty, she doesn't understand waiting for the things she wants.  She treats servants like playthings and expects them to do her bidding.  She acts without any restrain.  However, even with these character flaws, people love her.  They want more of her and they want her to pay attention to them.  Its always better to be treated as a slave by Lillian than to be shunned. 

Background/Concept: Lillian has money- lots of it.  She's not afraid to spend it and to use it for things she loves.  Lillian has a witty brain that she hides behind her entitled attitude.  Her closest friends and her sister know to come to Lillian for advice- and only they call her Lily.  While Lillian is the life of every party, she also has a side that loves the outdoors and she pays to maintain excessive gardens and forests.  Lillian also requires some time alone every day- though she is an accomplished socialite, its a life that she had to mold herself into, not her original character. (This is something known only to her friends)

Languages: Educated soundly, Lillian can converse with most of the languages known.

Stats: Intelligence, Charisma, Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution, Strength

Class: Druid

Feats & Skills: Lillian has been well educated in the arts of a noblewoman.  She can dance and sing and has a way with her eyes that draws others in.  She has been on hunts with her father and her brothers and is well versed in plants that can be eaten and plants that can be used as healing herbs.

Special Abilities: Lillian draws strength from plants and nature- there are times when she swears the outdoors cure her of sickness and pain.

Special Items: Lillian only has one special item.  A ring that she found when she was small that has never been too big or too small; it has also never fallen off and does not leave her third finger.  She speculates that it wards off danger by shocking her enemy when they get too close but she can't be sure.  Lillian only remembers one encounter with a black shadow that faded away after she felt her ring grow hot.

Alluistras

Name: Viktor Martin
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Height & Weight: 6' 0" & 165 lbs
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Sexual Nature: Opportunistic; Will bed anyone if it will further his agenda; personal preference is the untainted, naive, innocent, pure virgins of both sexes. Sexually aggressive behind closed doors, but outwardly he's a romantic charmer.  In other words, he will seduce you into doing what he wants (or charm you), but once you are where we wants you, you are at his mercy and he cares not of your pleasure. It's the perception of others he cares about, getting you to state of vulnerability is what matters, so that he can use you to further his goals. In fact, he may decide once you're there, to do nothing, but embarrass or blackmail you; he can still claim (lie) to have done whatever he feels would best benefit him. He might even ensure there were witnesses who saw you together in an intimate way.
Appearance: The dashing gentleman outwardly; Viktor is somewhat plain by most standards (but there is something about him you can't put your finger on attracting members of both sexes). He has jet black hair, blue eyes, and is fit but does not have an especially muscular build; he is tall and skinny. He is clean and inviting; his attire is always perfect, or at least appears to be.
Personality & Motives: Viktor is very manipulative. He uses people to get what he wants.  He wants nothing short of being a prominent figure in politics (or possibly an adviser to a ruler sowing the seeds of corruption).
Background/Concept: In progress.
Stats: Strength 10 , Dexterity 14, Constitution 14 , Intelligence 18, Wisdom 10, Charisma 16
Class: Level 1 Wizard (Enchanter)
Feats & Skills: Viktor is an able learner, and has focused much of his power on Enchantment.  His strongest skills are focused on his use of magic, skills of deception (forgery, bluff), and knowledge and diplomacy.
Special Abilities: Viktor can use magic to daze or charm, create illusions such as a dense fog to blind, an eerie ghost sound to frighten; he can also disguise himself and throw his voice to confuse. He can induce sleep and seal a door shut, as well as send messages over short distances using his mind.
Money and Items: Viktor does not ever have to worry about money and has access to whatever he needs at any time.