Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Ed. (Two Options)

Started by ZK, January 14, 2008, 01:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZK

I've recently fell in love with Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Edition. Finally an intuitive way to use the d20 System without all the complications that makes d20... annoying.

So far, I have two ideas as to what to host. One is quite simple, the other is far more sinister and dark.

The first idea is that based off of City of Heroes. Basically, the players are from Paragon City (or elsewhere) work for the various H.E.R.O. corps and such and defeat badguys in a mixture of both Iron Age and Silver Age methods. (Defeat some badguys, kill the aliens, monsters and such.)

The second idea revolves around the traditional SMT line. Those unfamiliar with it, will find some sort of catastrophe is about to happen or happened and the "protagonists" are granted unusual abilities (with a twist always to them) to battle such. Quite mature in storyline, Iron Age material. You never defeat the bad guy, you kill him, maim him and in some cases (for some types) eat him. It'd follow a more dark aspect then the one above.

Now there you go, two ideas. Both using only the core for Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Ed (seeing as that's all I own at the moment).

Both are dark in their own retrospects. But the first one is a mixture of light and dark, while the second is more occult gothic horror.

In honesty, I'd love to do both, but I need to know what people would be willing to play first.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Jefepato

If you're familiar enough with the system to deal with common pitfalls, I'd be interested.

I'd prefer the first one, but the second could be a lot of fun.

(What sort of power level do you have in mind?)

ZK

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Jefepato

Let me put it this way: like nearly all superhero systems, M&M is quite easily abused.

Are you familiar with what traits are potentially unbalancing, the sorts of things that players should really be stopped from doing, etc.?  (Of course, some problem characters are really obvious as such, but others are less so.)

ZK

Well, when it comes to unbalancing and such. Characters are all suspect to approval from me. And I can say no to a lot of things. When it comes to settings, the second setting is more constrictive in design in comparison. There are no super heroes, no super origins and such.

As for power level. It's a PL 10 game on both.

schnookums

Pick me pick me! Ooh, I wanna be picked first for dodgeball Kickball Mutants and Masterminds!

Jefepato

ZK

All games can be potentially exploited, just like Exalted can be. But, I am careful about such. Min-Maxing isn't roleplaying, it's roll-playing. If you Min-Max, you'll sorely be dissapointed on a number of things.

ZK

The second one is the constrictive one, the first setting isn't. You can be anything in the CoH universe, alien, magic users, alien magic users gifted by Thor and so on. Just come up with your own super hero.

But as with all games, everything has to be approved by me, is that what turned you off from the game? Or the PL being at 10?

ZK

Restrictive, not constrictive.

Baka desu ne.

The second setting just uses the system, not the concept of it.

Jefepato

No and no.  Those would be rather silly reasons (I do like high-powered games, but PL 10 characters are pretty damned powerful).

ZK

Yes, in both regards, the "protagonists" are powerful. In the second setting, they have to be. They fight all non-human entities who can kill a trained, skilled soldier with ease. So of course.

The first is quite alright in terms of level in comparison to the CoH universe. After all, that universe is spirited with quite a large ammount of super baddies.

So the default PL 10 is fine. Meaning, you don't have to min-max to be a badass. ^.^

HairyHeretic

CoH I know (been there since the European beta), but I'm not familiar at all with that game system. How much of a drawback is that?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Creeper

I like the second idea. Count me in for that.
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

torawashi

I like both ideas, though I'd lean towards the second depending on the the specifics.

ZK

The second one, no one are super in their own right. All were accidental or purpose alteration.

Soul Hackers, Branded, Evokers and Summoners are the key elements of play.

Those would be considered "classes" in an aspect, a template.

As each all have different types.

For example, Branded tend to have their alternate form unique, usually coinciding with a mythological or pantheonlogical (based on religions) or an element.

Evokers are usually the same, but they don't transform into the form like the Branded, they "evoke" their unique form and use it's ability.

Summoners are as they sound, they summon creatures to aid them.

Soul Hackers are a mixture of all of the above in retrospect. Their Soul Hacker gun allows them to mimic abilities, steal abilities from enemies and use them back on them... and also use the usual aspect of a gun, to shoot things with.

Creeper

Yay, persona style!

SUICIDE FOR GREAT JUSTICE!
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Muse

*Raises hand*  May I please give this a try? 

Z.K., you always start these when I'm coming out of depressed phases.  ^_^;; 

I'd favor the City of Heroes idea, please. 

Zara would be difficult to define in Mutants and Masterminds, because she has an abstract immunity, though I think I could do her. 

Who else... 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Oh, would deMagus the Dice Mage be to silly? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Serenity Vixen

I finally have the manual, and I would be very interested in playing with you Z.K. :)
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

ZK

So far everyone is favoring the S.M.T. line over the CoX line. So I might end up doing S.M.T. story basis first.

But, I am far quite willing as I stated earlier to host both. Just, this was to see "Which one struck interest first."

RubySlippers

Well I favor traditional good guys so City of Heroes seems more fun if not too powered up.

Serenity Vixen

"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Celestial Goblin

I'd be interested in either variant, really.:)

torawashi

Ooh, neat! I'd probably play a branded if we go with the second one. Got a few ideas for the City of Heroes one as well.