Question for Republicans - What do you think of Paul Ryan?

Started by Oniya, August 12, 2012, 11:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsbeenfun2000

Well I am a Republican and I can say this. You are confusing a tea-partier with a Republican. That is the problem the Republican party no longer exists. We can not have a non compromising administration once again that beats the war drums, IE Iran, in power. Paul Ryan supports what all tea partiers do. American strength to be used anytime we want, no money to social programs, less interference to corporations, more interference to personal freedoms especially women.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Elias on August 12, 2012, 09:36:50 PM
oh for the love of... What is wrong with you people how can you possibly think a bloated federal government system works at doing anything right, federal government is the antithesis of everything that is wrong with the world destroys more lives, ruins more small mans dreams, spends more money pointlessly than anything else on this planet.

I wont even get in to the number of things there are that are inherently wrong with the tenor and implications of this bit.

More power to states
More power to local government
more power to business

If by business you mean the corporations that are already running this country, then sure. Romney's dealings with the businesses he actually had a stake in owing has proven he has very little care for small business owners, so I can only assume you mean his connections to the power house companies. Their involvement in politics has been proven time and time again to be part of the problem, not the answer. Do we NEED to get in to insurance companies basically having free reign and nearly all the control they want over our health care system?

Less regulation
smaller government
more freedom to the average citizen.

I suppose that women, the LGBTQ community, students, seniors, and the disabled don't count as average citizens? Because Romney and Ryan are both pretty much in favor of doing things that would hurt every single one of those groups.

Support for Gay civil union
do everything we can to stop abortions not linked to rape, incest or the safety of the mother.
Support for Isreal

Erm... Ryan has publically stated more than once that he's against gay civil unions, which already aren't fair and don't even remotely compare in the number of rights they give compared to marriage.
Ryan wants to stop ALL abortions, even ones linked to rape, incest, or medical reasons. Also... it's not a man's body, so a man shouldn't be getting involved in decisions about what a woman is or is not allowed to do with her body, mmkay?
I'm not entirely sure exactly what Ryan's stance on Israel is, but I know he has next to no foreign policy experience, which worries me.

Yes I can rattle off politics and minutia all day but in the end that's what I am looking for in a government and its closer to Ryans vision than Obama. He wins my vote.

Your choice, but knowing that, I sit here scratching my head going "and he's wondering what's wrong with us?" I'm no massive Obama fan... I disagree with him on a few things, but I find him far less frightening than religious fundies who think they have the right to meddle in peoples civil liberties, personal freedoms, religious freedoms (or freedoms FROM religion), etc.

Blame Bush is petty as well, Bush was an idiot but the policies that led to this economies big collapse falls on the shoulders of Clinton as much as George. 

Here's my issue with that... when Clinton was in office, while things may not have been perfect... the federal deficit was completely erased, if only briefly. When did it go back to us being in the red? When Bush began enforcing his own policies and got rid of things like higher taxes on the wealthy, started spending more on things we really couldn't afford *cough*Iraq*cough*, etc. I'm not going to say Clinton was perfect, but in comparison to Bush/Cheney or Romney/Ryan? I'd vote him back in in a heart beat. Even over Obama.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Oniya

Quote from: itsbeenfun2000 on August 13, 2012, 01:06:43 AM
Well I am a Republican and I can say this. You are confusing a tea-partier with a Republican.

Aye, like I said, I was hoping to hear from some of the moderates of the party.  I know they're out there. :-)  It really does seem like two ideologies on the Republican side of things, and I wonder if we're not heading for an official third party before too long.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

OldSchoolGamer

oh for the love of... What is wrong with you people how can you possibly think a bloated federal government system works at doing anything right, federal government is the antithesis of everything that is wrong with the world destroys more lives, ruins more small mans dreams, spends more money pointlessly than anything else on this planet.

And they eat kittens too.  Don't forget the kittens part.

Seriously, the Nordic countries have a higher standard of living (I'm talking about the common man, not the size of the boats at the yacht club) and their governments are bigger than America's, by a fair margin.  So the "government is the root of all evil and the kiss of death for the economy" argument is a canard.  Could our government improve and do things more efficiently?  Yes.

QuoteMore power to states

Perhaps.  Then again, we tried that in the past and it didn't work so well...states wanted to do things like chattel slavery.  Having said that, I do think there are some opportunities for devolution of power away from Washington.

Quotemore power to business

What more power do you want to give to business?  The power to bar-code employees like concentration camp inmates and implant RFID chips in them?  Corporations already have far more rights (they are people, after all, the Supreme Court said so!) in America than they do in virtually any other industrial society.  Coal companies can legally tear the tops off mountains and trash entire ecosystems.  Corporations can buy elections.  What more do you want?

QuoteLess regulation
smaller government

I agree there are opportunities for improvement here.  We need better regulation, which means less in some areas, more in others.

Quotemore freedom to the average citizen.

This I'll agree with.  But you exhibit the classic blind spot I see in most libertarian types: you don't realize that corporations are as big a threat to your freedom and liberty as government.  We need a new Bill of Rights imposing the same checks and balances on corporations as on the government--and for the same reasons.

QuoteSupport for Gay civil union
do everything we can to stop abortions not linked to rape, incest or the safety of the mother.

So homosexuals should have rights, pregnant women shouldn't.  How's that again?  ???

QuoteSupport for Isreal

Why?  It "neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg" whether the Jews get and keep the land Sky Daddy® promised them or not.  It's their dogma and eschatology--let them pay for it.

QuoteBlame Bush is petty as well, Bush was an idiot but the policies that led to this economies big collapse falls on the shoulders of Clinton as much as George.

Actually, Clinton has about the best fiscal record of any President since the 1960s.  Would you care to be more specific as to why you think Clinton helped hose the economy?

In short, from where I sit, it seems like you're not really interested in smaller government so much as you're interested in different government: a corporate state that imposes your brand of morality (Zionism and "right to life") on others.  :D

ReijiTabibito

I'll say this.  Paul Ryan is not the worst choice that the Romney staff (I say staff because I don't believe that Romney is capable of making an intelligent choice that doesn't involve him earning absurd amounts of $$) could have made, in my opinion.

No, that would have been if they chose Rick Santorum or Rob Portman to be his VP candidate.

But they could have done better than Ryan - my votes would have been for Marco Rubio and/or Bobby Jindal.  Though, if any of them had been handed the choice for nomination before Ryan, they did an ultimately wise thing in turning it down.  Because I don't believe that Romney is going to win this election.  I don't.  The Republican party has done too many openly stupid things - like all this voter fraud crap - and on the Daily Show, they showed that while Romney is losing to Obama in the polls, Generic Republican Candidate Z would be crushing him.  Romney is just not likeable as a candidate, as a person.  And Obama's campaign is nailing him on his supposed business expertise that'll help get the country back on its feet.  Hell, Romney's own people are doing damage to his campaign - check out the Daily Show for August 9th.

Personally, if I was running the Repubs, and I got a look at who they were nominating for President this election, I would have sent a message to the Dems saying, "You know what?  You guys can have this one."  It's becoming more apparent, at least to me, that the Republican party is on its way out.  It won't be next election, or even the one after that, but I'll say that before the century is out, the Republicans, as they currently exist, won't be here anymore.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on August 13, 2012, 08:56:50 AM
I'll say this.  Paul Ryan is not the worst choice that the Romney staff (I say staff because I don't believe that Romney is capable of making an intelligent choice that doesn't involve him earning absurd amounts of $$) could have made, in my opinion.

I think the most pragmatic choice would have been Huntsman.  Huntsman isn't charismatic enough to be President, but he's a pragmatist, and I think his record would have helped to lure independent centrists to the GOP ticket.  Ron Paul...you could make a case for Paul.  However, Paul would get a bullet from the Forbes 400 before he was permitted any higher up the food chain than he is right now.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on August 13, 2012, 08:56:50 AM

No, that would have been if they chose Rick Santorum or Rob Portman to be his VP candidate.

Market/product testing across the registered voter demographics.  Like they do for tooth paste.  Who tastes best?  Who is easier to swallow.  Which one gives you whiter teeth?  The questionnaires can be quite interesting.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: OldSchoolGamer on August 13, 2012, 09:20:09 AM
I think the most pragmatic choice would have been Huntsman.  Huntsman isn't charismatic enough to be President, but he's a pragmatist, and I think his record would have helped to lure independent centrists to the GOP ticket.  Ron Paul...you could make a case for Paul.  However, Paul would get a bullet from the Forbes 400 before he was permitted any higher up the food chain than he is right now.

I agree.. Huntsman is not a charismatic leader but he is a man who understands foreign policy. Not dabblers like the people in the party, but who has actually done STATESCRAFT. He's been a diplomat and understands the sitaution, particularly with China, which is something a LOT of people in the GOP have been quickly been ignoring. Putting their metaphorical fingers in their ears and going 'nahnahnahnah' when anything counter to their mind set comes up. The GOP party leadership, the mover and shakers who aren't elected don't want to admit that we're empowering China in ways that will bite our children in the ass about 2 to 3 decades down the line.

Huntsman, and Ron Paul, have a better chance of getting struck by lightning and living (twice) then winning the powerball, than having the leaders of the GOP allowing them into anything REMOTELY effective and that close to cabinet level deliberations. Imagine the horror. A Modern Conservative one heartbeat away from the PRESIDENT'S Office.

No, modern conservatives (or as the Neo-conservative/Double-High Authoritatians in control of the GOP sneeringly call us.. 'Goldwater Conservatives) would never be allowed to that close to the reigns of power. Romney drops dead in office, we'd have a Republican in office who would not listen to them, understood the words 'consensus building', compromise, and moderation.

As for why they didn't go with Marco Rubio (aside from his constant declaration that he wouldn't accept) because the man is ambitious. VERY much so. He'd not be a 'Biden' he'd try to be something more like a 'Cheney'. And you care to bet that four years down the line he'd be looking to 'upgrade'? Yes, he'd be able to give a good chunk of Florida to Romney but he's lost some standing with his core groups. (Happens when you say you're pro-small business' then back anything that enables corporations to stifle innovation, ignore issues that the party don't care about).

More power to states
more power to business

Less regulation
smaller government
more freedom to the average citizen.

Support for Gay civil union
Support for Isreal

Okay.... lets break this down.

You can be a conservative and not be a Authoritarian and do the following.

-More Power to the states/local government
-Less Government/More personal freedoms
-Support for Gay Marriage/Civil Unions
-Support for Isreal.

These conservatives are called Modern Conservatives (Modern as in the 1950s..).. Not the folks in power in the GOP btw.. Those are called Authoritarians.

The breakdown on authoritarian personality/double high authoritarians

A good example of a Modern Conservative.. Berry Goldwater (Read his book called 'Conservatives with a Conscience). He felt STRONGLY that the best way to reform was on a more local level, with some validity that what worked in Boston, Mass wouldn't work in Redbow, Ark. I personally disagree on his argruments about school, intergration and such.. but I'm looking at it from 50 years later on the OTHER side of the issue.

This is the man who said, in the early sixties, "You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight."

He, like me, believed you can't regulate moral behavior. Unlike the current leaders of the GOP. Smaller government isn't a cure all. Right sizing it is better than gutting it.

State's rights are good.. for things within the state's borders. The federal government is there for INTERSTATE level things. Who do you think should regulate food packing that crosses state/national borders? Banking transactions? Labor safety issues? Standardized criteria applied to education? I'm sorry.. state's rights are largely moot, and trust me.. as a southerner that is hard say.

Consider this.. Goldwater felt that EVERYONE had a right to life, libery and the rest.. Romney and Paul Ryan don't.

Quote from: Paul RyanThe reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand.

That is NOT a man I want so close to the Oval Office.

Vekseid

Quote from: AndyZ on August 12, 2012, 11:48:12 AM
I'm not Republican, but I like Paul Ryan.  Medicare is a complete shambles, and it definitely needs to be fixed, but most politicians won't even consider trying to do anything about it.  It's called the third rail, same with social security and the like.  Take a look at some of Harry Reid's lies about social security:

Harry Reid: Social Security is Not In Crisis

If you claim that someone is lying, and they are in fact telling the truth, that makes you the liar.

Harry Reid may in most cases be a coward (his recent bout of bravery actually somewhat surprising), but he is telling the truth.

You, on the other hand, have lied.

So, Paul Ryan set up a thing about a Roadmap, located here: http://roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/

So far, he's been one of the few who actually attempts to do something about it.  If you look at the attacks on the plan, they don't attempt to fix or alter the plan in any way, but just talk about the problems and

The proposals to fix Ryan's plan were made before Ryan proposed his destruction of Medicare:

1) Institute a single-payer program.
2) Eliminate the SS payin cap.
3) Raise taxes on the rich.

There is no need to even engage in discussion of Ryan's plan - it isn't a plan meant to benefit Americans as a whole. It provides a static voucher, with none of the oversight over where those funds go, and none of the collective bargaining power that the US government now holds. Every family for themselves, with none of the cost controls provided for even in the ACA, for crying out loud (which don't go into effect until next year).

In essence, saying that it tosses the future elderly off the cliff is a perfectly valid metaphor.

To say nothing of the fact that Ryan's plan would actually increase the standing deficit. Republicans do not give one flying fuck about the deficit, except that there's a democrat in office right now.

Yes, rather than talk about how to fix Medicare and Social Security, they throw in a purely pathos ad where an old woman gets tossed over a cliff, implying that everything works just fine and that there don't need to be any changes.  I know politics is bad, but dear crap.

I would love to have a politician in a high position who's actually willing to say, "You know what?  This doesn't work.  How can we fix it?" and tries to suggest something instead of bumbling on with the status quo and pretending that there's no issue.  I realize VP isn't really a powerful position, but between Ryan and Biden, no contest.

No kidding. Biden has a mouth on him but at least he's made a few decent proposals about what to do WRT national policy. I've seen nothing of the sort from Ryan.

I'd have a lot more faith in Democrats who looked at his plan, pointed out the things that they didn't like and suggested their own ways to fix things.  This might have been done, but I haven't seen it.

Well, let's see:

http://roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/plan/factsheet.htm

Promotes work, saving, and investment by: 1) eliminating taxes on interest, capital gains,  dividends, the alternative minimum tax [AMT], and the death tax; and 2) replacing the corporate income tax with a competitive, border-adjustable business consumption tax.

"Let's create a class of rentiers who, along with there descendents, can live tax-free, producing absolutely nothing while the rest of the country can act as their de-facto slaves. We'll call them job creators!"

This is a bald-faced attempt to create a class system in America, of the type that OldSchoolGamer often claims the US already is.

This sort of tax-free class is how feudal societies formed, by the way - from Japan to China to the Roman Republic, the story is always the same. Classes, or in some cases individual members of them, manage to get exemptions from their taxes while their serfs still have to pay them their rent, pay them for goods, etc. As this persists from generation to generation individual lords become more and more powerful at the expense of the chattel. Their direct, most trusted servants become 'the nobility', and they are of an even higher class (royalty, the Kuge of Japan, etc.)

There is no defending this policy. It is nothing less than a desire to make a new era of robber barons, in the hope that it would last long enough to reduce the majority of the American population to the status of serfdom.

Fortunately, it tends to get thrown on its ass fairly hard when it seriously pops up in the US. During the Civil War, this spirit was a part of the reason why the South lost - the people with 20 or more slaves became a non-tax paying class in and of themselves, and even ignoring the resentment this caused, the South lost resources it couldn't afford to because "It's my money."

RubySlippers

I'll give Ryan one bit of respect he lays himself and his ideas out there and actually follows through with them when he can, one has to respect a man or woman that stands up and says this is who I am and what I stand for.

That said I support Obama and the Democrats to protect the Affordable Care Act if he gets returned to office or the Democrats could ,long shot, gain one or more Senate Seats the debate and chance of repeal dies. It sad they have me voting one one issue alone for one party, but for me its to much to lose being poor.

And the Republicans hate the poor it seems to me.

Callie Del Noire

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/paul-ryan-republican-vice-presidential-candidate-has-a-complicated-record-with-little-compromise/2012/08/13/eb6f7378-e57c-11e1-8741-940e3f6dbf48_story.html

This puts the claims to being a 'consensus builder' and 'innovator' to rest.. He's done TWO laws..(and they were really big) and LOTS of committee work that was strickly 'his way or the highway'.

Trieste

So I just have a sort of idle musing here, because I thought at first his support of Ayn Rand's philosophy was a joke or an exaggeration. Turns out he seems to be a very vehement supporter.

So I'm wondering what contingency plan the GOP has in place for when the Vice President of the United fucking States has had enough of bipartisanship and decides that 'going Galt' is the only thing for him to do?

I'm asking because it seems like every supporter of Ayn Rand seems to consider themselves automagically in the group of producers rather than moochers, so naturally I assume Ryan is no different.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Trieste on August 14, 2012, 09:42:49 AM
So I just have a sort of idle musing here, because I thought at first his support of Ayn Rand's philosophy was a joke or an exaggeration. Turns out he seems to be a very vehement supporter.

So I'm wondering what contingency plan the GOP has in place for when the Vice President of the United fucking States has had enough of bipartisanship and decides that 'going Galt' is the only thing for him to do?

I'm asking because it seems like every supporter of Ayn Rand seems to consider themselves automagically in the group of producers rather than moochers, so naturally I assume Ryan is no different.

The GOP would like it I assume, given the last decade has shown, with a few exceptions, their idea od bipartisan is 'we tell you what we are going to agree on and you do just that.'

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Trieste on August 14, 2012, 09:42:49 AM

Personally, I think we should give Rand's producers an island or two to build their moocher-free society upon.  We'll be along as soon as they've invented utopia so that we can ruin it with insane things like higher tax rates on you because you make more money and decent standards of living for everyone.

Oniya

I had to look up 'going Galt', mainly because I have more enjoyable things to do other than slogging through Ayn Rand's tome.  Maybe it's just me, my work ethic, or somesuch, but if I had someone who was choosing to under-produce, I'd feel more than justified in replacing them with someone who would work to their best ability - even if that 'best ability' wasn't as great as the first person's 'best ability'.  The first person wasn't giving their best anyways.

That said, I'm not entirely sure how the Veep would go about choosing to under-produce.  Refusing to cast tie-breaking votes?  Not presiding over the counting of the Electoral College vote in 2016?  Even if he decided to just drop off the grid, I think the Secretary of State would shift up to fill the role of 'succession', and the Senate would get a 'President pro temps' in the same manner as they would if the Vice-president was absent or ill.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Trieste

It's honestly not a bad bit of fiction, if you take it as only fiction. I've been working my way through it (literally when I'm stuck with nothing better to do but that's beside the point... maybe...) and I don't mind the world or the characters. It's when you start to put it in the realm of philosophy that you get into trouble. Dagny Taggart is easily one of the most blatant self-insertion, wish-fulfillment characters I have ever come across (I haven't read Twilight, though) and the whole 'philosophy' part of it is pretty much the literary lashings out of a woman deeply scarred by her family's losses during her early childhood.

I don't think an embittered, post-traumatic megalomaniac should be considered a paragon of philosophy, in other words. However, I guess it depends on how you take 'going Galt'. In the book, the producers of the world started to just disappear. They didn't really under-produce; they quit the community and went off on their own. So that's what I was referring to.

Callie Del Noire

My final take on him?

He's 'mini-Mitt'. He'll do what he's told, when he's told, and why he's told. He's played the party line the whole time he was in congress and will continue to do so. He's the quicksilver elephant, he reflects whatever view point a Republican looking at him will see what they want to see. A supposed 'bipartisan', a stalwart tea-partier, and the rest.

He's 4 more years of the same.. and he'll do what he has to do to push the line the party heads tell him.

Oniya

Quote from: Trieste on August 14, 2012, 10:21:12 AM
I don't think an embittered, post-traumatic megalomaniac should be considered a paragon of philosophy, in other words. However, I guess it depends on how you take 'going Galt'. In the book, the producers of the world started to just disappear. They didn't really under-produce; they quit the community and went off on their own. So that's what I was referring to.

Okay, so if the Vice-president suddenly disappears, the Constitution has contingencies.  I suppose he could go 'rogue', as far as the phrasing stands, but I'm still trying to work out how much damage he could cause.  (Don't mean to put you on the spot, but this is something I've never seen raised by anyone.)

Callie Del Noire

Listened to the news on public radio, covering the career of Paul Ryan. Some of his budgetary ideas I hadn't been aware of. Like the idea of having the GAO audit the Fed's economic decisions. Like that wouldn't politicize the process at all.

Not to mention that he wants to remove one of the core directives of the Fed to do what they can to maximize employment.

The REALLY scarey one is he wants to ground the dollar on a 'commodities standard' to better valuate it.. this I'm kind of leery because I can't seem to find anything definitive on this 'commodities basket' he wants to tie to the dollar's value.

Avis habilis

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 14, 2012, 04:01:27 PM
I'm kind of leery because I can't seem to find anything definitive on this 'commodities basket' he wants to tie to the dollar's value.

I would assume that like fellow objectivist fanboy Ron Paul, that would be a big basket of gold.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Avis habilis on August 14, 2012, 04:13:54 PM
I would assume that like fellow objectivist fanboy Ron Paul, that would be a big basket of gold.

No.. from the sound bite I heard it wasn't returning to the gold standard.. more like a 'pool of items' but I can't find anything in the print to back it up and I'm VERY LEERY of sounds bites as 'evidence'. No matter how credible the source. (which there are damn few of in my mind)

Trieste

Quote from: Oniya on August 14, 2012, 11:52:26 AM
Okay, so if the Vice-president suddenly disappears, the Constitution has contingencies.  I suppose he could go 'rogue', as far as the phrasing stands, but I'm still trying to work out how much damage he could cause.  (Don't mean to put you on the spot, but this is something I've never seen raised by anyone.)

I don't feel put on the spot, per se, I just don't have the answers for it. I should think it would be damaging to the GOP as a party? I think the country could recover (I think it might be sincerely pissed off) but...

*shakes head* I'm still waking up. I'll have to come back to this later.

Callie Del Noire

A friend dropped this on her facebook page.. how accurate are these points?

Oniya

This looks like a pretty unbiased source:  http://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/26344/

Under Employment and Affirmative Action, I found this entry:
July 31, 2007    HR 2831    Equal Pay Bill    Bill Passed - House(225 - 199)    Nay

There's a whole section on Abortion Issues (including Planned Parenthood funding)

Not sure where I'd find the info on Birth Control and in vitro, but I looked under Health Issues and what I saw kind of disturbed me.

Callie Del Noire

Posted it from my iphone.. couldn't see the bottom bit. :D

I don't understand why he'd want to kill Invitro though..that don't make any sense.