Group Games And Thread Counts

Started by Bloodied Porcelain, May 24, 2013, 07:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodied Porcelain

Hey guys,

I'm prepping to run a group game for a small group of friends and we are currently debating thread organization. Given the nature of the game, I would like to have individual threads for each mission/big event in the game, with the intent to have completed mission threads closed and moved to the Completed Tales forum when we are finished with it.

My question is... Do closed and relocated threads still count toward a group game's max thread count?
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Beguile's Mistress

1000 in game posts are needed for a small group game to achieve large group status.  You can lock threads after each mission or event but I would suggest you keep them in the forum with the other threads that are still open in order to keep track of your progress toward the 1000 in game posts.  I would also suggest you begin each thread title with the title of your group game to make sorting the forum an easy option for finding your game.  All the games will count no matter where they are but keeping them together is more convenient for Staff.

Oniya

I could be wrong, but I think she's talking about thread limits.  A group games is supposed to be allowed twice as many threads as players, and if the 'old mission' threads count, then they could find themselves running out of the allotment. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

Ah.  I didn't see it that way.  One way around that is to have a thread for missions where all missions reside after completion.  A staff member can merge the newly completed mission thread with the archived mission thread.

Example:

The Quest for Life:  Archived Missions
The Quest for Life:  The Search for the Loving Cup
The Quest for Life:  Malack's Journey

Archived Missions is where all threads are combined.  Search and Journey would be merged there after the mission is complete.  An index in the opening post would link people to the correct spot where each mission begins and missions would show up like chapters in a book.

This keeps the missions in a separate thread until completed but frees up thread numbers after the merge.

EDIT:  I see a potential problem though that just now came to mind.  I think when the threads merges the posts co-mingle which would make continuity a problem.  Darn.  I though I had a fix for you. ???

Oniya

Well, unless they actually do finish one mission before starting another.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Beguile's Mistress

I started out thinking it would work that way and as the icon on the tab was spinning to save the post the little warning light went off.  I need more coffee.  NOW!

Oniya

Excellent idea!

BP - if any of this helps or if you need us to look deeper, drop a post here?  BeMi's suggestion would work if you plan on ending one mission before starting another, but could get messy if multiple time-lines are being posted in at the same time.

Bloodied Porcelain

We are for sure planning to end one thread before moving on to the next, so I think that will probably be our best bet. The only separate threads I'm planning to have will be for non-mission related play and won't be closed until they reach post limit, so it doesn't need to be sorted in time line wise. Thank you both so much! I was wracking my brain trying to come up with a solution, I wasn't aware things could be merged. :)
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

Oniya

You can PM any staff member to do the merge.  BeMi deserves all the credit for the solution - I just helped define the question.  :-)

*throws streamers*

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Oniya on May 24, 2013, 09:48:31 AM
You can PM any staff member to do the merge.  BeMi deserves all the credit for the solution - I just helped define the question.  :-)

*throws streamers*

I appreciate you clarifying for me while I was afk and unable to do so. :)