News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Xillen's story ideas [MUL]

Started by Xillen, November 03, 2007, 04:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xillen

Well, since you say you're used to D&D, do you have a preference to your own race/class, or to mine?

I was thinking around level 5, using 32 point buy.

September

32 points, level 5.  I can work with that, and I'm cool with her being a Cleric (although I've never played one before).  For race I'd like to play a human.  Your character's race/class are irrelevant, because she'll love him anyway.  :)
Some of my ons.

Xillen

Ok, I'll stick to Human Wizard then.

Do you wanna go with the Goddess/Domains in this thread, or rather pick some more regular domains?

Do you wanna play by post, or by Chat/IM?

September

I'm fine with the goddess/domains.  And I'd rather play by post...I type too slow for IRC games.
Some of my ons.

Xillen

Ok. :)

Hmm, do you need some kind of background handle to base your character on? Coming up with your own background idea is fine, as I can base part of the story off of that.

Also, do you want me to post an OOC thread where you can post your character?

September

Yeah, let's do this in an OOC thread so your ideas thread doesn't become too unwieldy.  Also, the more background you give me the better a character I'll make.  I like having some pegs to hang an idea on.
Some of my ons.

Xillen

Ok, uhm... The world itself is pretty much medieval, fantasy high. It's politically divided in small countries, usually consisting of a single city and the surrounding settlements that support it. Since countries have to tend for themselves, there are no large areas inhabited by a single race, and countries from a certain race that are surrounded by countries of 3-4 other races. Racism is at an all time high, and contact between different races varies from frowned tolerance with the occasional skirmish to all out war.

Social status differs into the extreme, rich and poor with the middle ground pretty much lacking. Those who come of power pretty much always come from the city, either taking up an important role in the city, move to one of the nearby villages to lead one operation or another, or make a living for themselves. Those that have the financial means to equip themselves with sword and steel, or the educational means to master the arcane can roam the countryside as powerful heroes, while the poor peasant who would be stronger than the knight or smarter than the wizard is condemned to a life of poverty. Needless to say, a lot of these heroes never return from their first trip.

The village's local populace doesn't really get a say in anything, as people from the city govern their down, run their temples and lead the possible workplaces, where they're usually the ones that end up with all the profits in their pockets, while the other employees of even the most successful guilds earn barely enough to get some bread on the table.

Cities usually sport several temples, while villages only spot one each. Villagers pretty much don't have an option about which deity to worship. They barely know there are any other deities than those propagandized by the local clergy. Your character could be part of a city temple, or have traveled from the city to support a more rural temple.

As for background between the two of us... I'm thinking your character refused my character one thing or another, and afterward mine cast a spell on you out of revenge. If you're really going with the goddess idea, my character might've mistaken your temple for a house of pleasure, and asked to spend a bit of time with your character for a couple of silver. If you'd rather not have it over something as simple as that (though it would befit my character), I can come up with something more structured once I've read a bit on your character's background.

Feel free to ask (or perhaps bug me on Chat/IM), if you like more details on anything. Most of the stuff I'm just making up as I type it out, though the overall social background is what I had in mind for this story idea.

September

Okay!  I've got a character sheet ready.  Sorry about the delay.  D&D is more complex than I remember it :P

It's in RTF format (couldn't get a plain text version working).  Can I email it to you, Xillen?
Some of my ons.

Xillen

September

Grrr I can't get it to send.  I had to make it into a PDF.

I uploaded it to here so you can download it whenever you like.
http://www.filedropper.com/halete

You click on the big grey "Download this file" button.

I hope you like her!  Let me know what changes I need to make.
Some of my ons.

Xillen

Ability scores work out point wise, but I would highly recommend taking 14s and 16s over several 15s. You're gonna need it ;)

I'm using fixed HP instead of rolling for it. After first level, you get average HP (round down at odd levels, up at even levels). Hit points would be 8+5+4+5+4 = 26 + 5*1 (con bonus) = 31

You receive feats at 1st, 3rd, and 3rd level. From what I counted, you put Dex at 13 at level 4, so you could never take Dodge. I suggest you start with Dex 14 instead, and bump a 14 to 15 (or better, a 15 to 16) at level 4. :)

What did you use for starting gold? Characters higher than level one usually get way more gold, but if you prefer to keep it more basic, then it's fine with me. In that case, adjust your remaining GP as if you rolled max for starting gold.

I also think you forgot to replace languages. Any 2 humanoid creatures would be appropriate, or Celestial, since you're a good cleric.

Why did you memorize a Cure Light Wounds spell, when you can do that spontaneously?

I like the image :)

September

Quote from: Xillen on May 03, 2009, 01:16:05 PM
Ability scores work out point wise, but I would highly recommend taking 14s and 16s over several 15s. You're gonna need it ;)

I'll take your guidance on this...could you rejig her scores in a way that works?

What did you use for starting gold? Characters higher than level one usually get way more gold, but if you prefer to keep it more basic, then it's fine with me. In that case, adjust your remaining GP as if you rolled max for starting gold.

Will do.  I'll take the money.

I also think you forgot to replace languages. Any 2 humanoid creatures would be appropriate, or Celestial, since you're a good cleric.

Celestial, then, and, um, Elvish?  Since the deity is often portrayed as an elf?

Why did you memorize a Cure Light Wounds spell, when you can do that spontaneously?

Because I'm a ditz.  (I also gave her both a shield and a quarterstaff.)  I'll ditch the shield and take Comprehend Languages instead.

I like the image :)

Hot, isn't she?  Took me days to find one that worked.

What was her life like before she took off adventuring?  What does a cleric actually do, and how come they can fight so well?

I did some research on her weapon, the quarterstaff.  I have to admit, I thought it was just a long stick to whack people with.  Turns out it's actually pretty fearsome!

http://ejmas.com/jwma/articles/2001/jwmaart_docherty_0501.htm

"The pole could also be suddenly thrust foreward in a lunge capable of bursting a man's belly, or be brought down from above, to break his head..."
Some of my ons.

Xillen

Quote from: September on May 03, 2009, 01:38:20 PMI'll take your guidance on this...could you rejig her scores in a way that works?

If I mess around with your scores a bit:

Str 8
Dex 14
Con 10
Int 14
Wis 15
Cha 16

Put a point in Wisdom at level 4. This raises your dex, wis and cha modifiers by one each, though it lowers your con by one. Feel free to up con by 2 at the cost of 2 points in dex (though then you couldn't take dodge) or int (though then you'd have less languages and skills), or 1 point in wis or cha (in which case you'd probably be better off putting the other score at 17.

Quote from: September on May 03, 2009, 01:38:20 PMWill do.  I'll take the money.

Celestial, then, and, um, Elvish?  Since the deity is often portrayed as an elf?

Because I'm a ditz.  (I also gave her both a shield and a quarterstaff.)  I'll ditch the shield and take Comprehend Languages instead.

Sounds logical to me.

However, since you actually can equip a shield, and since a Quarterstaff ain't all that great for you, why not equip a one hander and a shield?

Quote from: September on May 03, 2009, 01:38:20 PMHot, isn't she?  Took me days to find one that worked.

What was her life like before she took off adventuring?  What does a cleric actually do, and how come they can fight so well?

Are you asking yourself or me? If you check on the background I posted, would she be a village or a city cleric?

Village clerics would probably be closer to the people, as they are part of them. The population ain't big enough for several castes. It would be common to have donations consist of actual food. Clerics would also double up on tasks like nursing the sick, helping women in labor, blessing the fields, etc...

City clerics would form their own organization among the dozens present in the city. Contact with the people would consist almost entirely of people visiting the temple. If people were sick or in labor, there were probably other people available that would be better at the task at hand. Donations would almost exclusively consist of coin. Politics and relations with the other temples are actually quite important.

Quote from: September on May 03, 2009, 01:38:20 PMI did some research on her weapon, the quarterstaff.  I have to admit, I thought it was just a long stick to whack people with.  Turns out it's actually pretty fearsome!

http://ejmas.com/jwma/articles/2001/jwmaart_docherty_0501.htm

"The pole could also be suddenly thrust foreward in a lunge capable of bursting a man's belly, or be brought down from above, to break his head..."

Yeah, quarterstaves can be a dangerous weapon, if one has proper training in it. Since most characters have access to it as a simple weapon, they lack this training, and can simply use it to knock someone on the head. Now place it in the hands of a monk or a character with Two Weapon Fighting...

September

Ok, the new improved Halete (HAL-ih-tea) is here: http://www.filedropper.com/halete_1

I couldn't find out how to calculate the gold of a level 5 cleric.  I think everything else should be in order, though.
Some of my ons.

Xillen

Now that your Con is 10, you have 26 HP, not 31 (8+5+4+5+4).

Now that your Wis is 16, you receive a bonus 3rd level spell.

For gold and equipment, do you wanna go with basic gear (PHB max, 200gp in the case of a cleric) or more boosted gear (DMG rules, 5400gp for a 5th level character)?

Either way, you still get one explorer's outfit for free :)

You might want to buy a spell component pouch. You're assumed to carry all the spell components without a stated cost that you could need in them (barring illogical exceptions of course).

What about the Goddess' name? Do you want to come up with anything, or shall I ask Cherri if it's ok to use her suggestion?

September

Another Halete is here: http://www.filedropper.com/halete_2

I went for five grand because I'm very greedy.  She has a lot of stuff now.  She's pretty tough.  Her order must have a martial element to it - they must be like warrior maidens or something.  Part of their duties must involve riding out to bash up threats.  I guess she stole a lot of this stuff from her temple when she "eloped" with your character?

As for a deity name, I'm happy to use Cherri's idea (whatever it was).  Alternative suggestion: how does Úsahtiel grab you?  It's Elvish for "temptation", apparently.  Or if you don't like the sound of that there are many beautiful names here: http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/elvish/girlnames.html

I bought a nice (300GP) platinum ring for your character to wear.  It matches Halete's.  Don't worry, they're not married (although she wishes they were): it's so she can cast the shield other spell and soak up half of his hit point damage.
Some of my ons.

Xillen

It seems fine to me, except for that map of the known world. That would probably a map of the city and it's surrounding villages, and describing what other nations/races border the region.

September

Some of my ons.