News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Looking for Legend of the Five Rings! L5R!

Started by Flying Tengu, May 26, 2015, 02:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Tengu

I've been very enthusiastic about Legend of the Five Rings lately, and would love to do just about anything with it.  Small group!  Large group!  One on one!  With just about any subject matter!

Let me know if you'd like to give some sort of L5R a try!

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sorrow Singer

Never tried the l5r rpg. I did play the card game though. and i very much like the setting. If you need players id love to give it a shot

kckolbe

Big fan of the setting and have a couple of good modules for it.  What kind of things would you like to see in terms of time period and themes?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Flying Tengu

Quote from: kckolbe on May 26, 2015, 07:41:31 PM
Big fan of the setting and have a couple of good modules for it.  What kind of things would you like to see in terms of time period and themes?

Speaking for myself regarding time period, I'm most comfortable with the era in the first edition L5R corebook, before empire-threatening disasters started regularly occurring.  So, anywhere post Unicorn return to before the Scorpion coup.  Before the Unicorn return is also probably ok, but the Unicorn are pretty neat.  I believe that, for later timelines, AEG at some point introduced a time-jump to settle things down a little; that would probably also be an acceptable time.

For themes... yikes.  That's a difficult question.  Personally, I enjoy playing with the various competing pulls in the life of a samurai.  Honor vs duty vs personal desire.  The third one is supposed to lose out to the others, but as a big ol' romantic softie, I like to have romance win out from time to time.  Or, at least, find a good balance.

But really, there's all sorts of fun things that can be done with it!

Muse

^_^;;  I don't know the timeline well enough to begin to guess when.  :)  Pitch me a plot and I'll build for it. 

Might be fun to finaly play my sparrow, though! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AllieCat

Ooh, L5R, been rereading all my 4th edition books (I have em all in hardcover except the newest one and the out of print enemies of the empire)

I should run something :D

Muse

*peeks* 

Ooh.  :)  Would be wonderful if you did, Allie.  :) 

Empyrean

It's been a while since I read the L5R stuff, but I remember having an idea for a young shujenga (Phoenix, Mantis, or maybe Unicorn), who has a secret love. That is, a samurai woman loves him (I'm thinking Spider or if Spider's not available then Scorpion). He has no idea she loves him, and wants to corrupt/manipulate him for her clan's benefit. I was thinking it would be a disadvantage. The character himself is nice, naive, and a big believer in virtues like Compassion.

Marie Reynolds

L5r Yes please hope to see a gm step up. Cause every time i try its doomed to fail.

Muse

Chulanowa

Interested here as well, especially if the setting is pre-Coup or, in a pinch, the Clan Wars.

kckolbe

I can't tell you all how nice it is to see all the requests for earlier settings.  I think Rokugan went to shit during the Spirit War, personally, though the Four Winds might be my favorite period.  Maybe I just love the idea of options too much.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Chulanowa

heh, I started playing with imperial edition, and stopped halfway through Hidden Emperor. The RPG was still in 1st edition at that point... so when i flip through 4th edition i'm like "what... what... WHAT?!

kckolbe

Okay folks.  I am considering running a campaign with a bit of alteration to it, set just after the end of the War of Spirits.  There will be a lot of elements trying to build power, and Rokugan will be fairly weak as a result of the 12 year war that just ended.  My initial thought is that our chars will be new members of a Minor Clan that was formed at the end of the war, for political reasons I will flesh out better once I've decided on the location.  This will allow characters to have initial training in whichever school they want while still being tied together.

Anyone interested?  We can hash out certain preferences before moving to a proper interest check.

Intro Thread

Muse

*pounce!* 

Count me in! 

BUt, erm?  Starting characters?  Will we have acess to our original schools for further training? 

kckolbe

We'll play training by ear, but I'm not gonna be much of a douche about it.  By the way, this will be 4th ed.

Intro Thread

Marie Reynolds

This sounds awesome! Can we play other members of  other Minor clans that might be looking  to  bring the new minor clan  into the fold of the minor clan alliance?

kckolbe

Too soon to say.  I don't want to give away too much, but think of it as an expansion draft, where each clan was ordered to give up x bodies, and one or two clans had to give up territory as well.

EDIT: If there is a reason you would prefer to not be the same clan as the group, then let me know.  Discussion might help us come up with something.

Intro Thread

Marie Reynolds

Just was curious as to what options might be available.  I am just glad and excited  to see a game focused on minor clans!

Flying Tengu

Quote from: kckolbe on July 05, 2015, 07:26:26 PM
Okay folks.  I am considering running a campaign with a bit of alteration to it, set just after the end of the War of Spirits.  There will be a lot of elements trying to build power, and Rokugan will be fairly weak as a result of the 12 year war that just ended.  My initial thought is that our chars will be new members of a Minor Clan that was formed at the end of the war, for political reasons I will flesh out better once I've decided on the location.  This will allow characters to have initial training in whichever school they want while still being tied together.

Anyone interested?  We can hash out certain preferences before moving to a proper interest check.

I'd be very interested!

HairyHeretic

I'd want to know a bit more detail, but provisionally interested.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

kckolbe

Sorry Hairy, but given that I am neither a great GM nor a master of the lore, I'm afraid it just wouldn't be a good idea to have someone who actually knows the setting.  ~grins~

You are, of course, completely welcome, and I'd love to get your thoughts about a few possible locations and starting situation.  I will warn that I will be using a combination of modules and original adventures, starting with a module I've been wanting to use. 

May I add you on YIM?

Intro Thread

HairyHeretic

I'm happy to chat with you about anything game related that you want to. :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

kckolbe

Okay, did some more work on the setting.  Currently I'm looking at the group being part of a very Minor Clan or belonging to the Great Clan established just before the game kicks off.  Either way, there will be Shadowlands scouts to deal with, other supernatural issues, potential for mass battle rules, and general instability in Rokugan, with certain legal/philosophical questions coming to the forefront.  So while there will not be a proper court, social skills will be tested as well as skirmish and warfare, with other skills coming into play as well.  I'm real big on the "whole samurai concept" and warriors will not be allowed to just remain silent and let the group courtier talk.

Some things I would like general feedback from:

I am considering different starting xp based on age.  How does everyone feel about this, and what type of scale would you be comfortable with?

I am normally pretty big on gender ratios, but I can't say that I am expecting a particularly significant amount of sexual tension, so am considering tossing that aside.

I am considering playing with the possibility of differing loyalties/philosophies within the group, which could lead to elements of pvp later on in the story.

Intro Thread