News:

Main Menu

League of Legends

Started by Aiden, May 22, 2011, 02:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moraline

I'm totally not a competitive gamer but I've been recently encouraged to join this game.  I have some friends that are pro-league level but before I bomb them with questions about it all...

Can anyone here tell me what's the best way to go about learning the game? Any websites with good tips and suggestions for people that are just starting out?  (Keep in mind that I know nothing, so I'm starting at the ground level.)

I want to make sure that I don't form bad habits from the start. (Which is usually what I do in MMORPG PvP)

Aiden

http://www.mobafire.com/

Has a lot of guides/builds and tips for champions.

If you are just starting off, I would recommend you play Bot games. Bot games are the best way to learn champions.
It will take some time to learn what heroes do what and how to counter who, but its part of that learning experience. Try a few heroes, learn their skills, THEN visit Mobafire, keep it simple don't drown yourself in information right away.

Moraline

Quote from: Aiden on February 18, 2013, 11:06:32 AM
http://www.mobafire.com/

Has a lot of guides/builds and tips for champions.

If you are just starting off, I would recommend you play Bot games. Bot games are the best way to learn champions.
It will take some time to learn what heroes do what and how to counter who, but its part of that learning experience. Try a few heroes, learn their skills, THEN visit Mobafire, keep it simple don't drown yourself in information right away.
Thanks for the tips!

Shjade

Moraline, if you honestly have friends who are pro-league level, as in playing the game for money successfully, I'd think bombing them with questions would indeed by the best way to go about learning the game. It wouldn't be a good idea to ask random pros, but if they're already your friends I bet they'd enjoy sharing the game with you and frankly they'd probably be a better source of info on it than anyone here. ;p
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Moraline

Quote from: Shjade on February 18, 2013, 04:24:53 PM
Moraline, if you honestly have friends who are pro-league level, as in playing the game for money successfully, I'd think bombing them with questions would indeed by the best way to go about learning the game. It wouldn't be a good idea to ask random pros, but if they're already your friends I bet they'd enjoy sharing the game with you and frankly they'd probably be a better source of info on it than anyone here. ;p
Personal experience after my own years of gaming has led me to conclude that learning how to play a game at the beginning is usually best done by other players that are new to it as well. Or alternately by someone that's used to helping out new players. People that are pro level players(or have a lot of experience) speak in terms of the game as if you should already understand immense amounts of information and they often forget what it's like to be totally new to something. BTW, I love how you said "if you honestly," that was cute... in a rude sort of way.

Shjade

Not intended to be rude, it's more that...how to put this...in my experience, the number of players who describe themselves as having pro-league skills greatly dwarfs the number who actually do. My skepticism is more directed at your friends than your claim to have them.

As for the other thing, it's true that high-end players can have difficulty "dumbing it down," so to speak, for newer players, but in games like this I think it's worth it to dive in at the deep end given how easy it can be to develop terrible playing habits (never buying wards, pushing a lane all the time, valuing kills over self-preservation, etc.) which become harder to unlearn later than it would be to just start playing the "right" way earlier on.
◕/◕'s

Moraline

Quote from: Shjade on February 18, 2013, 06:36:29 PM
Not intended to be rude, it's more that...how to put this...in my experience, the number of players who describe themselves as having pro-league skills greatly dwarfs the number who actually do. My skepticism is more directed at your friends than your claim to have them.

As for the other thing, it's true that high-end players can have difficulty "dumbing it down," so to speak, for newer players, but in games like this I think it's worth it to dive in at the deep end given how easy it can be to develop terrible playing habits (never buying wards, pushing a lane all the time, valuing kills over self-preservation, etc.) which become harder to unlearn later than it would be to just start playing the "right" way earlier on.
Now I understand what you meant. Thank you for the clarification and with that in mind I'll take careful note of it and ask them.  As for whether or not they are pro-league or not... well they are a paid professional team(sponsored by several major gaming corps) so I'm pretty sure their skills are pro. I just met them though so I'm a bit reluctant to push to hard. However, it's their fault, they asked me to play! I blame them!

Maybe when I get a bit better one of you experienced types will let me play with you.

Ryven

Quote from: Moraline on February 18, 2013, 09:27:15 PM
Now I understand what you meant. Thank you for the clarification and with that in mind I'll take careful note of it and ask them.  As for whether or not they are pro-league or not... well they are a paid professional team(sponsored by several major gaming corps) so I'm pretty sure their skills are pro. I just met them though so I'm a bit reluctant to push to hard. However, it's their fault, they asked me to play! I blame them!

Maybe when I get a bit better one of you experienced types will let me play with you.

You can play with me, Moraline.  I don't play competitively that often, and I can help you learn the game.  I have no claims to being a pro.

Shjade

Quote from: Moraline on February 18, 2013, 09:27:15 PM
As for whether or not they are pro-league or not... well they are a paid professional team(sponsored by several major gaming corps) so I'm pretty sure their skills are pro.

That pretty much resolves that, yeah. Some teams might be better than others, but if they're high enough to have sponsors that's at least in the proper tier to be way over my head for game theory. ;p
◕/◕'s

Incubus Dreams

Oh my!  Elliquiy has an active League of Legends community?  I just got here and I may already be sold on this site.  =P

Hello everyone!  I just registered here on Elliquiy, as my title might suggest, but I hope to be accepted fairly quickly and join you all on the rest of the site that I cannot yet see.  If anyone here would be willing to play a few games now and then with your average, Bronze-League player, I am almost always down for a match or two when time allows.  I'm not real sure how we will exchange information before I am accepted though.  Unless I am confused, I do not believe that I can send or receive private messages.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Incubus Dreams on February 20, 2013, 10:20:33 AM
Oh my!  Elliquiy has an active League of Legends community?  I just got here and I may already be sold on this site.  =P

Hello everyone!  I just registered here on Elliquiy, as my title might suggest, but I hope to be accepted fairly quickly and join you all on the rest of the site that I cannot yet see.  If anyone here would be willing to play a few games now and then with your average, Bronze-League player, I am almost always down for a match or two when time allows.  I'm not real sure how we will exchange information before I am accepted though.  Unless I am confused, I do not believe that I can send or receive private messages.

There are a few players here that play ranked.  Most of us just play blind pick and or Aram games.  As far as sending info you'll need to wait till you are approved to send a pm to others with your summoner name as you are not supposed to post that in public boards.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Sex Bobomb

*Grins* I'm Silver D2. Nothing special but I'm proud of it.

muddturtle13

Quote from: Sex Bobomb on February 20, 2013, 07:30:48 PM
*Grins* I'm Silver D2. Nothing special but I'm proud of it.
Silver D1   ::) :P

Incubus Dreams

I was up for a promotion to Silver the other week.  Then I started getting thrown in with a bunch of Bronze-League trolls.  A jungle Draven with revive and clarity cost me my promotion.  -_-

Since then, I have had the worst luck with teams.  I have gone from Silver promotion to bronze DIII. 

Spell

DING! Spell is now Diamonds....  ;D
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Panduhmoanium

Quote from: muddturtle13 on February 20, 2013, 07:36:38 PM
Silver D1   ::) :P

*cough*was*cough* :P

Now, some of us are getting pretty close to gold promotion. Not sure who that would be though...

Spell

Whee, got accepted by NESL!

Spell is now an official Shoutcaster for NESL!  ;D
Darling,
What is going on...

Darkpoet

I've been playing for several months. I haven't gotten into it competitively, but it's definitely addictive. I'm currently working on filling out my collection of mid champs.

Shjade

Quote from: Spell on March 12, 2013, 06:13:13 PM
Whee, got accepted by NESL!

Spell is now an official Shoutcaster for NESL!  ;D

Nice! Congratulations! :D
◕/◕'s

apygoos

Ahri Penta Kill Korean Shoutcaster
i expect you to best this screaming of PENTA KILL

Spell

Quote from: apygoos on March 13, 2013, 12:38:01 AM
i expect you to best this screaming of PENTA KILL

Already did!  ;D
Darling,
What is going on...

Shjade

Woo, Lux pentakill. I think that brings me up to...six?

Time to celebrate with delicious shake.
◕/◕'s

ninseineon

Oh! I'm so happy E has a LoL community! The group I play with normally are either WAY above my level, not on when I am, or such sore losers that it's not fun to play with them. If anyone wants to derp around with me in a few unranked games, pm me and I'll give you my summoner names!

Spell

Quote from: ninseineon on March 19, 2013, 07:59:22 PM
Oh! I'm so happy E has a LoL community! The group I play with normally are either WAY above my level, not on when I am, or such sore losers that it's not fun to play with them. If anyone wants to derp around with me in a few unranked games, pm me and I'll give you my summoner names!

There is nothing wring with playing with people that are above your levels, as long as everyone has fun with the game, right? I often play with friends that are bronze or  unranked and it's all good fun, win or lose, simply cause I just enjoy the game as a whole. =)
Darling,
What is going on...

ninseineon

Yeah, I think the problem with my case is that they don't have fun with it. I'm not terrible, but I'm not even 30 yet. I haven't been invited to matches in a long time, lol, so I don't really count on playing with them anymore.