News:

Main Menu

League of Legends

Started by Aiden, May 22, 2011, 02:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiden

Looking for people form E to possibly play with in the future or just discuss it.

-Aiden

ps. Rammus rocks, enough said.

Note-
Please do not post your summoner names, this is an open to all thread and I do not wish to be responsible if you are contacted in game by someone on E without your permission.

If you wish to play with your fellow E members, send them a PM and arrange to trade summoner names there.

Thanks!

Shjade

Played it, found it terribly monotonous, uninstalled within about a week.

To its credit, the UI was less cumbersome than DotA's...but that's to be expected given it is its own game where DotA was a customized map setup in a completely different game framework. Considering that, it isn't as much of an improvement as one might hope; it basically just adds some more options to an identical game format, which was completely flat the first time around.

Not the worst game I've played, but not one I'd ever recommend to a friend, either.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

meikle

Contrarily, I've gotten a ton of play out of LoL; given the player-vs-player format, although games follow a general pattern, it's a competitive game of skill and so it's not really 'monotonous' the way that single-player games can be.

If you don't like the genre, sure, it won't be terribly exciting.  If you're interested in the game, and becoming good at it, and learning it in and out until you're competitive, there's a lot to it, and it's constantly being updated -- the designers are not passive in any sense.

The whole leveling thing can be a pain, but if you don't play it much, you'll never get out of the newbie league and you'll never really play against skilled competitors.  Someone who played it for less than a week is going to have as much insight into the game as someone who played something like World of WarCraft to level 30; you can know whether or not you like the basic gameplay by then, but you won't understand (or anyway, have experience with) the nuance of high-level play.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Shjade

Quote from: meikle on May 22, 2011, 08:45:05 PM
The whole leveling thing can be a pain, but if you don't play it much, you'll never get out of the newbie league and you'll never really play against skilled competitors.  Someone who played it for less than a week is going to have as much insight into the game as someone who played something like World of WarCraft to level 30; you can know whether or not you like the basic gameplay by then, but you won't understand (or anyway, have experience with) the nuance of high-level play.
Actually, you don't need to cap in WoW to understand the nuances of high-level play. Once you understand all the baseline abilities, you can observe the use of talents/abilities you don't have and get the gist of it. Would you be able to perform as well? Hell no, but you don't need to be able to execute tactics to understand them.

The "nuance" of high-level play in games like these is, in large part, just math. That's not a bad thing, but it's not exactly mysterious, either.
◕/◕'s

meikle

The nuance of high level competitive play, contrarily, is entirely in execution, and the way individual qualities in the game come together to form a particular experience.  Every game, with different people playing different characters, plays out differently -- and sure, you can crunch the numbers all you want, but you can't really account for the human factor when you do that, and this is not a game where you throw two spreadsheets at each other.

Like I said, if you didn't like the game, that's okay, you don't have to -- but if you didn't play it for more than a week, you don't really have the experience to discuss the topic authoritatively.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Shjade

I didn't play that one for more than a week, no. I did play WoW to the cap with five characters at various points, though, given you raised the comparison, and enough of DotA to note the correlating data. The details change; the patterns stay the same.

Thank you for affirming my right to an opinion. I'm sure the game's enjoyable to others; hell, a good half of the folks I play with on Steam spend oodles of time in LoL and, despite their giving it goofy nicknames in their game listings, they must think it's aces to spend that much time on it. Or they just like to grind collections, I suppose. Either way.
◕/◕'s

meikle

Quote from: Shjade on May 22, 2011, 09:17:26 PMThe details change; the patterns stay the same.

I think you've just summarized every game that isn't Calvinball.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Shjade

In the broad scope, sure, but I have faith you're capable of seeing my point as opposed to thinking Tic-Tac-Toe and League of Legends have comparable endgame strategy.
◕/◕'s

Aiden

I'm enjoying the lore and artwork quite a bit.

Shjade

It does look pretty nice. Kind of a sleek deviation from the Warcraft 3 look with different cultural choices. The character variety's also nice, once you have access to it anyway.

It also has a tutorial which is something DotA sorely needed (just for a space to browse the item possibilities and mess around with mobs unharassed), so if anyone was put off by the earlier iteration of the game because of how unfriendly it was to new players that worry, at least, is somewhat addressed. Of course, you still have to deal with the community, but that's true of any online game (lol internets).
◕/◕'s

meikle

Quote from: Shjade on May 22, 2011, 09:59:25 PM
It does look pretty nice. Kind of a sleek deviation from the Warcraft 3 look with different cultural choices. The character variety's also nice, once you have access to it anyway.

It also has a tutorial which is something DotA sorely needed (just for a space to browse the item possibilities and mess around with mobs unharassed), so if anyone was put off by the earlier iteration of the game because of how unfriendly it was to new players that worry, at least, is somewhat addressed. Of course, you still have to deal with the community, but that's true of any online game (lol internets).

The new addition of the Tribunal also means that the community, to a degree, is able to police itself -- if someone consistently displays bad behavior and is reported for it, it goes to the Tribunal, where other players can see the behavior in question and vote whether the offender should be punished or pardoned.  It takes a 'strong majority' vote toward punishment for action to be taken, and voting is blind (ie, you don't get to know how anyone else voted) but you're rewarded if your vote matches the result -- so there's incentive to be honest.

So far, I haven't seen anyone come up in the Tribunal that didn't 100% deserve to be ousted from the community.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Shjade

While I'm a little leery of any community-popularity-based policing system, if it's working so far, awesome. Jerkassery should always get paddled.
◕/◕'s

Ryven

I used to play big time a few months ago, Aiden.  Did decently as long as I stayed away from the damn hardcore ladder players.  They sometimes like to log onto smurf accounts and play their level 1 characters so they can stop inexperienced players.  Didn't really like that very much, but I get over it.

I have been thinking about playing it again.

Aiden

I have considered buying a hero pack, I have only been playing the free weekly character so far but I have enjoyed Rammus enough to want to buy him (with the bowser skin!).

E LoL game? yes?  XD

I'm only lvl 7 atm, I play when I can, but this is the one game I have been playing lately.

Ryven

I honestly wouldn't buy the hero pack.  There are a few champions you can get for free.  I think you can get Tristana for free by joining the Facebook group.  Rammus is cheap if you use IP instead of Riot points to buy him.  Any of the tier 1 champs are not that expensive especially if you win a few games.  If you time it right, you can make half his price in IP is you win a game.

I'll start playing again.  I have two accounts.  It'll be nice to get reacquainted with Vladamir and Katarina. ^-^

meikle

Quote from: Aiden on May 22, 2011, 10:48:04 PM
I have considered buying a hero pack, I have only been playing the free weekly character so far but I have enjoyed Rammus enough to want to buy him (with the bowser skin!).

E LoL game? yes?  XD

I'm only lvl 7 atm, I play when I can, but this is the one game I have been playing lately.

If you're thinking of spending real cash dollars on heroes, the retail box includes Rammus (and 19 others), as well as $10 more of RP for $15.

http://www.amazon.com/League-Legends-Pc/dp/B002HOIPCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306123003&sr=8-1

O and O and Discord
A and A

Aiden

Ohh heall yea, That is what's up! Do they have that at game stop? I know I have some store credit I have not used up from them, so it might end up not costing me much anyway.

Ryven

Quote from: Aiden on May 22, 2011, 11:19:55 PM
Ohh heall yea, That is what's up! Do they have that at game stop? I know I have some store credit I have not used up from them, so it might end up not costing me much anyway.

I've seen it there.

Aiden

I can go cash in my ten bucks I put down on La. Noire.  ^-^

meikle

O and O and Discord
A and A

Aiden

I want his bowswer skin or maybe the molten turtle one.

Ryven

Quote from: meikle on May 22, 2011, 11:29:54 PM
PS:

Rammus is awesome.

I've never been a fan of him, but I have seen him played very well.  I'm not really the tanking type unless I'm on Vlad and even on him I don't tank too often.

Ryven

Started playing again today.  Tried Vayne, and I like her a lot.

Caeli

I have a friend who loves this game. I've been meaning to try it once I have more than ten minutes of free time at any given time on my hands, because I've never played an MMORPG and it looks intriguing.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Shjade

It's not really an MMORPG, more of an MRTS.
◕/◕'s