Suggestions for new MMO's or RTS's to try?

Started by Teranis, December 30, 2012, 01:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teranis

Okay, to start off... I'm a ex World of Warcraft player. I started in 2006 and quit when I finished the Wrath expansion. Pretty much quit when nearly all my other friends did with the release of Cataclysm.  Sort of defeated the purpose of dropping $30 a shot on timecards.   

So, as of now I've been playing League of Legends, and at lvl 19... slowly creeping to 20.  What I'd like is some suggestion on other MMO's or RTS's to try out, as one can get burned out on marathon LoL sessions.  I've tried DDO, which is okay if you have friends on...  and I used to play DC Universe.

For now, I cannot afford to spend much cash on any online gaming. So if anyone knows any good free ones please suggest them.

Thanks for reading this,  Teranis

HairyHeretic

Any particular genre you're interested / not interested in?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Teranis

I tend to go for RTS type games like League of Legends, or any genre of a more story and quest driven MMORPG. Every time I look most of the ones I see are too PvP oriented; I prefer to PvP occasionally, not constantly.  :-\

Sel Nar

Guild Wars 2. Full Stop.

TERA Online went free to play until level 28

The Secret World went Buy-to-own, Free-to-play, like GW and GW2.

RTS multiplayer would include Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion; a long game can take over a day to complete.

Teranis

Nice, I'll look into those and a full day sounds awesome for a RTS.  Longest LoL match I watched was a little over 5 hours.

Is GW2 about the same or better then GW? just curious

HairyHeretic

SoaSE was 66% off on steam the other day. I got it for a tenner. If you want it, now's probably a very good time to get it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Wolfy

GW 2 is better than the original in every way except Nostalgia...then again, you can actually run across old areas from GW1 that have changed over the 1000 years that have passed, so it probably has that going for it as well.

As for another Story based MMO, if you like Star Wars, Try Star Wars The Old Republic.

Star Safyre

Quote from: Wolfy on January 01, 2013, 08:42:58 AM
As for another Story based MMO, if you like Star Wars, Try Star Wars The Old Republic.

This.  Also, it's FTP now.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Teranis

So SW:ToR is set up like DC Universe now?  pretty much membership, bought in game currency (minimal perks) and free?

If so I'm gonna be all over that, seeing as I was *horribly* disappointed in Star Trek Online.

I'll proly see if I can swing grabbing SoaSE if it's still on sale. Also nice to see GW2 is better then GW1; At least they ain't just randomly adding things like WoW has lately.

Hellig

Not sure if its a fullblown MMO or just a multi player game but I heard there is a new Phantasy star online game coming out for pc around February this year. Might be worth checking out.

Brandon

One of the more interesting (NOTE: Im saying interesting not neccessarily good) MMOs Ive recently played is Raiderz. Its a very dark souls/monster hunter esque kind of MMO. Its like monster hunter in the way that its based around killing huge monsters (that there really need to be much more of) and its like dark souls in the sense that every weapon functions a little bit differently and the combat is spatial in nature. What I mean by that is its designed around dodging and blocking attacks while getting your own in. However unlike dark souls your class does mean something but theres also freedom to build some hybrids like a Berserker who can throw fireballs. The end result is a pretty hard game with some spectacular fights in it

However the last time I played it there was no end game content to speak of and all that time between huge monster boss fights felt quite hollow but there are some interesting quest lines. Finally it is a Free to play game so theres no reason not to give it a look

An MMO that Ive developed a love/hate relationship with is planetside 2 which is an odd mix of MMO and FPS. You have a massive world to fight in, clear frontlines to fight over, or you can go it solo or with a small squad to take territory your enemy isnt focusing on. However the game requires a top end PC to run at a smooth level and when I stopped playing it the systems in the game were designed in such a way that enemies could not fight you and still earn points. Its quite different and while being fun I ended up quiting the game out of frustration. Still its another free to play game so its worth a look

Now perhaps my favorite RTS game is Dawn of war 2. Ive never really been into the warhammer 40k franchise but this games focus on squads and map control really hit a mark for me. Its not like starcraft which is more about math then strategy. Theres a counter for everything in DOW 2 so you can never really be overwhelmed as long as you use your brain

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play