Almost every tenth find from Mohenjo-daro is play-related

Started by Spookie Monster, April 01, 2011, 05:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

Almost every tenth find from Mohenjo-daro is play-related

Play was a central element of people's lives as far back as 4,000 years ago.  This has been revealed by an archaeology thesis from the University of Gothenburg, Sweden, which investigates the social significance of the phenomenon of play and games in the Bronze Age Indus Valley in present-day Pakistan.

Interesting article about an interesting facet of an interesting culture.  What specifically compels me to mention it here at Elliquiy is an accompanying photo, by Flickr user bennylin0724:

Now, the title for the photo is Dice and gaming piece from Mohenjo-daro.  There's something wrong with that, however, because there are only two objects in the photo; most people would probably conclude that it's supposed to read Die and gaming piece from Mohenjo-daro.  We here know the truth, though, don't we?  It's not supposed to read Dice and gaming piece from Mohenjo-daro; it's just supposed to read Dice.  Yes: The Indus Valley Civilization invented the four-sider!  That one guy simply had to roll up a 1st-level Magic-User with a dagger and Magic Missile...

On a related note, I think that we can deduce the ultimate cause of the fall of the Indus Valley Civilization: Foot injuries.

Spel

King dice...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Paradox

I can't wait until they uncover the fabled Crystal d100.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Oniya

Quote from: Ziggy Speldust on April 01, 2011, 05:53:37 AM
On a related note, I think that we can deduce the ultimate cause of the fall of the Indus Valley Civilization: Foot injuries.

Spel

King dice...

We call them 'caltrops' in my house for a reason.   :D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17