New Video Card.

Started by TheLoneHero, December 26, 2014, 04:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLoneHero

I'm getting a new video card but I can't decide what one to get and I don't really know which is better from what I've heard. Which card is the best out of these three?

1. The AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card
2. The XFX Double D AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card
3. Or the MD Radeon R9 280 3GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card

While I think it is mostly between 2 and 3, 1 was my first choice, I really need help.

Vekseid

#1 if the numbering scheme hasn't changed and I don't think it has.

The way it works is you'd generally expect x90 to be the top of the line cards, outperforming the next generation x80's even. And usually a few generations of them.

Lrrr

This is probably too late an answer but you might find this link useful.  As Veiks mentioned, they usually go in number order but not always.  For example, the GeForce GTX 780 Ti ranks higher than the GeForce GTX 970.

I have a GeForce high end card and can highly recommend that brand unless you've settled on Radeon.  Either way - have fun and enjoy!   :-)

If I've been online here on E but I haven't replied to your post or message, there are several possible reasons - none of which involve ignoring you.  Be patient - I'm worth it.
ONs & OFFs Plus Other Goodies!    2018-01-16 Updated A/As

sleepingferret

Quote from: Vekseid on January 13, 2015, 05:49:18 PM
#1 if the numbering scheme hasn't changed and I don't think it has.

The way it works is you'd generally expect x90 to be the top of the line cards, outperforming the next generation x80's even. And usually a few generations of them.

Old thread I know, but nope... video card numbering schemes haven't changed.  the x90 would be better than the x80 generation series.

Same goes for GeForce cards their 900 series cards are their top cards were as the the 800 series and below are older generations, thus having less performance capabilities.