How to do One On One Wanted?

Started by EnchantedDream218, March 29, 2015, 06:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EnchantedDream218

I'm really not sure how to do this, I'm a beginner when it comes to role-playing but I want more people to role-play with me and the one way to do that is by adding a One On One/Wanted.

Do I just put up what I'm looking for?

What exactly do I have to put up to make it look interesting. Thank you!

My List=)

"True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen." ~Francois de La Rochefoucauld

jouzinka

Hi, Enchanted. :-)

I think that Request threads have as many looks, shapes, sizes and forms as there are roleplayers - your own aesthetic sense will take over the shape and form of it and lure primarily people who will find it pleasing.

You can also either make a thread in the Request boards or you can append your ideas to your O&Os - this depends on your preference. In any case, I would link to the thread (or the specific O&O post) in your signature with the notice that you are looking for games.

In a Request thread you should list any (complete) ideas that you have or only parings that you are craving or image inspirations that you would like to base an RP on. You can include a few basic snippets (or deal-breaker kind of guidelines) and a link to your O&Os.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Cycle

When I started on E, one of the mentors gave me this piece of advice:  in the subject line, make it clear what you are looking for.  For example: "Looking for M/f NC fantasy themed PbP RP."  This way folks browsing through the ads can decide quickly whether they are interested in your concepts.

Also, I've found that it helps to present an idea framework and be clear where you are looking for input.  For example:  you want to play a barbarian warlord, but are willing to create the general game world together (decide on the level of magic, monsters, whatnots).

If there are things are not interested in, be upfront about it--e.g., "I don't want to write femdom."  If you bend on it, you'll probably not enjoy the story later on and then potentially end up disappointing a partner.  Better they know early they are not a good fit and not start up a game that won't work out.

Good luck!

BitterSweet

One thing you can do is add some text to the 'role-play preferences' page, many folks do that.  For a One-on-One wanted, they do vary widely but some suggestions are:

Provide a little info on what sort of writing partner you are: do you post weekly?  Daily?  Do you write several paragraphs a reply?  Do you like to discuss plots over PMs before starting the story?

Let folks know what sort of stories you're looking for, in general, and what sort of role you usually prefer to play.  Do you only play women?  Non-humans?  Do you want to write romantic stories?  Stories with a lot of smut?  Or almost none at all?  Do you like kinky stories or prefer more 'vanilla' ones?

This general information will help you find folks who are compatible with you in your style and general preferences.

Then, you can do a section that is more detailed about things you like to see in stories: kinks, character types (submissive men, furries, etc), and genres you like to write in (sci-fi, modern realistic, etc).

Then, if you have some specific story seeds, write a paragraph or two about them like:

I want a story set in the Walking Dead world, where my character is a zombie who remembers who they are.  I want a writing partner who discovers this and the two of them begin a very odd relationship.  I'll play a female character and I would like a male character as a partner.

I'd like romance, action and a dash of horror in the story.  Maybe we'll both become zombies together!

Many people fancy up their thread with inspirational images, ones that relate to the plot seeds, or ones that simply fit the feel of your thread and preferences. I think though, it's most important to keep things clear and organized, in whatever fashion you chose (lists, neatly arranged paragraphs etc) and to put your best writing foot forward in your one-on-one add – after all, it's one way people are going to determine if you're a good writing fit for them.  Using the formatting helps to add some structure to your thread so people can find what they're looking for easily.

And, as has been mentioned, the subject line is a great way to give folks a bird's eye view of what you want.  Make it genuinely descriptive, not cute or catchy.

F looking for F and sci-fi action with lots of kinky smut!

Not:

Invader Zim Loves You! (this doesn't tell anyone what you're actually looking for)