Someone please save me from my state

Started by Ryven, April 03, 2013, 09:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on April 04, 2013, 12:40:29 AM
Or rather, they're taxing the polls under the excuse of "eliminating a tax break." The targeting of their sudden concern, and who the objects of that sudden concern would vote for, is nakedly obvious. It's the bog standard of modern GOP behaviour: find excuses to engage in vote suppression, because you know you just can't win any argument on the merits of your stance on any current issue at all.

All sounds plausible.

Oh yeah.. just look at the way they are redistricting. They did a length of i-85 from Charlotte up to Winton Salem for the 12 congressional district. And if you want to get REALLY depressed check out the state house districting. It's even worse.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Skynet on April 04, 2013, 12:49:13 AM
After Amendment One and Pat McCrory's election, I thought that things couldn't get any worse...

Want to bet? You're clearly not thinking things through. North Carolina hasn't done ANY of the major law assaults on minorities, reproductive health and/or education some other states have. I'm betting my brother's old school mate (yeah.. McCrory went to the same school with him) will sign any atrocitiy the guys on the assembly pass thorugh.

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 04, 2013, 12:44:27 AM
Oh yeah.. just look at the way they are redistricting. They did a length of i-85 from Charlotte up to Winton Salem for the 12 congressional district. And if you want to get REALLY depressed check out the state house districting. It's even worse.

*nods*  District 3 is bad as far as gerrymandering, but District 12 is only missing the little forked tongue.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

Quote from: Oniya on April 04, 2013, 12:53:23 PM
*nods*  District 3 is bad as far as gerrymandering, but District 12 is only missing the little forked tongue.

You were looking at that one, too, eh?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Trieste on April 04, 2013, 01:00:50 PM
You were looking at that one, too, eh?

for different reasons. Notice how they made as much land as they could for that district.. while they worked as hard as they could to keep the western region was cut down to as few districts as possible they want to make sure the eastern Carolina region got as much as they could.

Missy

I read the first one and said: "well of course they have to pray in their public meetings! They can't be bothered to find the time in their personal schedules too."

Seriously, freedom of religion and separation of church and state are two of the founding ethics of this country. You can believe anything you want, but what you personally believe has no place in the public offices, public meetings, courtrooms or campaigns. If you have friends in your congregation voting for you then good for you, but any fool knows religion has nothing to do with politics, not in this country.

Say your prayers before your meetings in the privacy of your office, I'm sure you can find the thirty seconds or whatever it takes to do that before you have a meeting.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: MCsc on April 24, 2013, 12:14:15 AM
I read the first one and said: "well of course they have to pray in their public meetings! They can't be bothered to find the time in their personal schedules too."

Seriously, freedom of religion and separation of church and state are two of the founding ethics of this country. You can believe anything you want, but what you personally believe has no place in the public offices, public meetings, courtrooms or campaigns. If you have friends in your congregation voting for you then good for you, but any fool knows religion has nothing to do with politics, not in this country.

Say your prayers before your meetings in the privacy of your office, I'm sure you can find the thirty seconds or whatever it takes to do that before you have a meeting.

Having met some of the folks in question.. Rowan, Cabarrus Counties are where my family is originally from, it's not as cut and dried to them as you'd think. It's the way they were raised, and taught. It's not all 'forcing things on others'.. it's the way they were raised..and let's be frank.. part of it is strking back on things that have radically change for them in the last 3 decades or so. A LOT of things have changed..and parts of North Carolina and growing more and more open..but the folks who lived there for ..well.. hell my family has been part of those counties for.. shit.. going on THREE centuries. It's culture shock..and finding out that you're losing ground to the new..and some folks are scared.

Let's be honest.. there are a lot of progressive types out there that are just as much 'my way or the highway' as the tea party is from the other side. How would you like to hear that your way..the way you were raised isn't the 'right way' and be told that you are a bad person for respecting your heritage or history..

Folks have pride..and you have folks come in and spit on your beliefs, family and history and try to push things so far and so fast.. you get blow back.

And let's be frank.. a lot of folks are feeling a bit shit upon. I was home visiting when the progressive bishop from California came in and started chaging things without even talking to the church staff or the lay worshipers. Changing budgets, shifting priorities..pushing his agenda without presenting any of the reasons. (My way.. or the Highway). 

Do I agree with the splash back moves like the OP posted about? No. I don't.. but I understand some of the concerns that allow the petty tyrants jump on to get control of government and such.

Callie Del Noire

Okay.. a bit of thread Necro (in hopes that somoene back home like Ryven can give more info. (My folks are away on vacation))

There are accusations of campagin finance misconduct with the current Governor as well as the last one..

http://www.wral.com/mccrroy-appoints-new-elections-board/12386089/
http://www.wral.com/apnewsbreak-nc-board-probe-sweepstakes-cash/12380818/

The fun point of the first article is..well. they investigate the allegations that come out of the second one

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on April 04, 2013, 12:53:23 PM

Got off the phone with my mom. She told me the courts upheld the 12th district because it was built to ensure that there was a minority (black) district.

Healergirl

Minority districts...  I seriously wonder, is the Black Caucus better off with  (pulling numbers out of the air)  30 seats in a minority party, or 18 seats in a Majority party?  Or even 15.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Healergirl on May 01, 2013, 08:30:09 AM
Minority districts...  I seriously wonder, is the Black Caucus better off with  (pulling numbers out of the air)  30 seats in a minority party, or 18 seats in a Majority party?  Or even 15.

Let me put it this way.  Are they better getting one seat in a district or having to fight a bit to get up to three. District 12 covers Charlotte, Winston-Salem AND Greensburo if I look right. All high population areas with a fair mix of ethnicities that could go to minority caucuses or not. Instead you have one district that buttonholes all those 'problem areas' into one nice pack.

Healergirl

Callie,

Oh, they are getting screwed.  That blatant... well, shit.The intent of the laws that allow this sort of redistrictingwas to prevent that sort of thing... but the road to hell, etc.

Callie Del Noire

I've seen a few really WILD 'Special interests' districts. One in California has like a mile and half of beach to avoid breaking continuity.

Personally I think completely unbiased redistricting would be a good thing.

Healergirl

I know what yu mean.  A few states have managed to handle the matter, hav effective bipartisan commisions that actually consider things like sense of community when drawing district lines.

crabmouse003

I think all the Republicans have gone crazy. The balanced ones are probably going to become independent or democrats.

Crazy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 03, 2013, 09:48:28 PM
I figured that out a LONG time ago when I watched them turn on a family member running for office. Then backed someone who plagarized his speeches in his announcement to run. Then tried to get him to run against someone who could be two days dead and still get elected in her district (on his own dime, because he's well off and it would force the democrats to spend money to counter him)

They are hell bound in staying in control..the old coots in the party leadership..and letting the Tea Party (aka American Taliban) set policy is a small price to pay.

Does NOT surprise me that either rep from Rowan was involved. They are BOTH a bit flaky.

*facepalm*  I can't believe how many posted since then without a rebuke.  Shame on all of you.

Oniya

Not sure who you think deserves the rebuke?  Callie's telling it like it is, from a position closer than the rest of us have gotten.  (To my knowledge, anyways.  Admitting that a family member is/was in politics is something few have the courage to do.  ;) )
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17