An income idea for Elliquiy

Started by Captain Maltese, August 28, 2016, 09:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

I was reading the latest money drive for Elliquiy and got an idea. I hope this is the best place to post it.

We do lots of stuff on E. Writing, socializing. For most of it I would not be happy to pay every time I do it. But there is something specific. I love to use avatars and I change them a lot. And every time I upload a new one it adds a little to the total file storage on the server. The database must already have what, a million picture files in it? So basically I think I am willing to pay E one dollar by paypal for the privilege each time I upload another fresh one. No one HAVE to upload fresh ones, there's all those existing ones already and half of the members never change theirs anyway.

Just a thought.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Blythe

Thank you for your suggestion, Captain Maltese. Generally, though, we have enough space to where we don't need to charge for this sort of thing--the Elluiki's pretty spacious in and of itself. It's also something that might cause us to lose otherwise contributing donating members, unfortunately, because while many don't change their avatars, quite a few do.

But thank you for the idea; the brainstorming is very appreciated.  :-)

PennySludt

Captain, you could still personally donate $1 for every avi change using the one-time donation option, I should think. :-)
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

Flower

Just another suggestion, maybe customizable badges? It would give that person the option to have something other than Lord, Lady, etc. The color would have to say the same to identify which group they belong, such as blue for girls...

Oreo

Badge discussion is here. Making changes to them is problematic because they are linked to the private board for each group. Ladies Only/Lieges Only/Lords Only

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Flower

Sorry. I didn't realize it was more complicated than designing a new button. I thought keeping the color scheme the same would designate which group the writer belonged to. What put this in my mind, for a while now, was when Trieste's badge displayed 'Wicked Witch' rather than the usual ones. I would pay for that. Of course, it was just an idea. ^_^

Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Verasaille

Heck, on that note, why not some of our enterprising tech wizards to offer designer banners for signatures and donate the resulting cash to E?

I see a few here and there who are very creative. A custom Avatar with your name on it and theme of your choice, within E's guidelines would be a great way to generate some cash!
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Oniya

Anyone who wants to do commissions in exchange for donations is more than welcome to make postings in the Commissions board to that effect.  :D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AmberStarfire

I had an idea and did a bit of research. There's a way you could replace the tags without affecting any user groups by using the CSS replacement method for images.

Basically you could have the piece of code in a theme of its own and apply it globally on top of all the other themes. It would just change the tag of a person where they have a certain specific character class around their image and replace it with the url for the new image.

In order for it to work, anyone wanting to change their tag would need to have their own specific class (which would be empty but it would work as a means of differentiating their tags from everyone else's). It would need to appear somewhere in the same section that the tag images falls in. I've looked at the image code and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of differentiating them already.

Maybe Veks has a straightforward way he could do this, but it would otherwise mean creating a table and having it drop in a class before and after the tag image where their user id or name matches a specific one. Given that this would take a bit of time to do, I can see why Veks might not want to do that when he's planning the move to Elkarte. However, something like that could be put in place so members could have other badges over the long term. I could give him the image change code in about 5 minutes flat, but I think the complex part would be adding the specific class in for the right person unless there's an easier way.

Oniya

Might want to leave a note in the CMS Feature Request thread - I have no clue how Elkarte differs from the current software in regards to badges and user-groups, and it might be easier to code it from the ground up, rather than trying to shoehorn it in to SMS.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Oniya on September 23, 2016, 02:57:06 PM
Might want to leave a note in the CMS Feature Request thread - I have no clue how Elkarte differs from the current software in regards to badges and user-groups, and it might be easier to code it from the ground up, rather than trying to shoehorn it in to SMS.

Thanks Oniya, I'll reply in there.

Oreo

It might be easier to make the custom title a badge that can be changed. Have a list of colors and fonts. A person could choose to use that and have a limited one custom title, or just use text and write in like they do now.

Ouroboros

Along these same general lines, I would pay cash money for a gender icon that was not ♂ or ♀ so I don't have to leave that field blank (and therefore render myself even more genderless than the Liege tag already makes me). Maybe a middle finger or question mark...
Semi-Relevant Information
wants and needs | apologies and absences  | ons and offs

Oreo

Quote from: Ouroboros on September 25, 2016, 02:57:06 PM
Along these same general lines, I would pay cash money for a gender icon that was not ♂ or ♀ so I don't have to leave that field blank (and therefore render myself even more genderless than the Liege tag already makes me). Maybe a middle finger or question mark...
That is supposed to be part of the next CMS. : )

Beguile's Mistress

Could you find or make one that you like and make it small enough to use as a special character in you sidebar text?

*looks up to Flower's sidebar above as an example*