Administrative Rights

Started by MagicalPen, January 22, 2016, 10:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

I am clearly the only user on the computer and I am in the Administrator category, however a few times messages have popped up saying 'you need to have administrative rights to do this'. I don't quite understand why its doing this? If I am the Admin, then shouldn't I have all the Admin rights?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

The Dark Raven

Windows is weird like that.  It should give you the option to run as administrator.  Do you, by chance, have a separate user account for you from the primary account on the computer?

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

MagicalPen

Nope. Just the one account on the computer.

I don't know how to run the 'cmd' prompt as an Admin. It was also not letting me stop Windows Update from searching as I wasn't an Admin either. Which makes no sense...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

AmberStarfire

You can set up a shortcut to cmd.exe and right click to run as an administrator.

Oniya

There's actually one program on little Oni's machine that does that and that she hasn't been able to use as a result.  Only one account, which is marked as the administrator account (used to be my nephew's machine).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

MagicalPen

I didn't have this issue prior to re-installing windows. I may just wait until next week when I get a new SSD etc and will do a fresh install etc.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Thesunmaid

Its to prevent people who don't know what they are doing from poking around in things and running commands they should not be playing with.

my mother being one of them...sighs she once some how managed to format her c drive which a book told her how to do when she was trying to learn how to use her computer...but she neglected to read the part that told her what a format was... I encourage my mother to learn things but...I admit I did get frustrated sometimes when she would only read half way and start clicking on things she shouldn't. I had to reinstall and she was mad because somehow I could not magic up her files again from the ether. I got her an external hard drive that year and showed her how to back things up to it...which she still bitches about having to do. but unless she does I will not fix her computer anymore for free.

and if you need the cmd prompt you type it in your search bar and do not click enter.... wait until it loads in the programs box as an option and then right click and run as admin. I hope this was helpful?
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Oniya

Quote from: Thesunmaid on January 22, 2016, 12:04:14 PM
Its to prevent people who don't know what they are doing from poking around in things and running commands they should not be playing with.

Now, that would be a reason for the technically-apt person to be the one accessing through the admin account, while the (admittedly primary) user got an actual 'user account' with whatever necessary restrictions set up.  Little Oni's first machine was like that, but she's progressed (learning C++ now!) to the point that she's able to be trusted to either a) ask the more technically-apt person for assistance or b) not poke the places she shouldn't poke.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

MagicalPen

I am not a 'beginner' when it comes to windows.

I am a video game player, so mess around with a lot of mods and games, a lot of which don't like being installed on the C-drive etc because of those 'admin rights' issues. I have never been locked out of certain 'cmd' commands before, so I don't know why its an issue now on this fresh install.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry