Windows Starting Screen Freeze

Started by MagicalPen, January 21, 2016, 12:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

Turned my computer on this morning and it gets stuck on the Windows Starting screen...the one with the 4 dots that converge into the windows logo. It gets that far and normally I see that for maybe a second before it boots. Now it just sits there.

When I do F2 or F8 to try and boot in safe mode, its never an option. Just 'Start Windows Normally' or 'Star Windows Startup Repair' (or something similar). At work now but I left my computer running on that second option to see if that fixes itself by the time I get home.

I dont have the W7 CDs or anything anymore. Its a few years old. I just made the W7 Recovery CD here at work and will try that when I get home.

Will also unplug everything but mouse/keyboard too.

Google doesn't really help. Most of everyone else seems to be able to reboot in safe mode.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? It was working perfectly fine last night and shut down like normal.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

AmberStarfire

Do you know if it was installing updates when it stopped working or if it was installing them when you shut it down the last time before everything went awry? They could be the problem.

The things I would try - fully unplug it and take out the battery (if it's a laptop). Put it back in and on again. I've had issues before where rebooting wasn't enough and cutting all power to the computer made a difference.

Can you load into the BIOS or are you already? It might give you some more options than you currently have on startup.

Another method I've heard people using is either a start up disk or having an operating system like Linux (like Ubuntu) on a USB drive and booting it from that.

MagicalPen

Desktop PC.

Did all options in BIOS.

Looks like the SSD failed. When disconnected, it allows me to use the Repair Tool...but says its wrong version of windows.

So...just wiped my other drive and reinstalled windows. Using laptop to DL drivers and then thumbdrive to get them onto PC

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

AmberStarfire

Quote from: MagicalPen on January 21, 2016, 05:59:52 PM
Desktop PC.

Did all options in BIOS.

Looks like the SSD failed. When disconnected, it allows me to use the Repair Tool...but says its wrong version of windows.

So...just wiped my other drive and reinstalled windows. Using laptop to DL drivers and then thumbdrive to get them onto PC

Okay. I hope it works for you.

MagicalPen

Lost all my data so will spend this weekend downloading everything (steam, origin - games) etc. Not what I wanted to be doing...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry