Bioshock Infinite: Columbia

Started by Prosak, April 02, 2013, 10:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargtass

Never argued the history, I have a major in it. I argued the thematic sense tied to the setting of Bioshock: Infinite.
O/O

Sacredless

Quote from: Wargtass on April 11, 2013, 08:32:26 PM
Never argued the history, I have a major in it. I argued the thematic sense tied to the setting of Bioshock: Infinite.
We cannot achieve the thematic sense of Bioshock Infinite as it is. Alternate universes and timeloops and stuff like that is outside the grasp of many people. And without the Luteces or Elizabeth to aid us, it's just not possible. The best thing we can do is setting the stage for Booker to enter! And what better way to set the stage than to explore the subject of ethnicity and it's historical effects...? Expanding upon what we know of Columbia with historical detail.

Sacredless

Following many requests for clarification from friends, I need to know if this roleplay will take place in either IM or forum posts! Or something else entirely!

Unless stated otherwise, games are pretty much always on the boards.

Prosak

Ya, this is in the board's. It is a post, by post.

Sacredless

Quote from: Prosak on April 11, 2013, 11:12:41 PM
Ya, this is in the board's. It is a post, by post.
Damnit. Than most than half of the people I got interested probably signed off. :/

Prosak

Ah, I see. lol. Gosh, gathering interest is such a pain. Hopefully my newest idea takes a turn for the better.

Sacredless

Quote from: Prosak on April 12, 2013, 04:17:39 AM
Ah, I see. lol. Gosh, gathering interest is such a pain. Hopefully my newest idea takes a turn for the better.
It's not hard. It took me several hours to get these people. xP I just sent them a few notes on F-list and now they come to me! \o/

Prosak

Wow, really? I should hire you as my personal assistant  XD lol. Go now assistant, give my ideas the attention they deserve!  ;D lol, I know, I am cheesy.

Sacredless

I am currently trying to get a map together for the events that occurred in and around Columbia. The more I think about it, the more sense it starts to make to me that this session would do best as an expansion on history rather than an expansion on the game. There's a lot of interesting stuff that happened in this time period and extrapolating that could make this very interesting indeed.

For example, in this time period, the book 'Dracula' was released and it is believed that a small time craze made some naive people invest in 'vampire killing kits'. Now imagine this is extrapolated to Columbia. The higher class of Columbia are naive enough to believe that vampires exist and there is the technology to make certain vampire-like powers a reality. Murder of Crows certainly has a vampire-ish feeling to it! Columbia is a city in the sky, who's citizens believe that the earth below is damned; if people were to read of vampires living below, then what would keep them from believing it's true?

We can give the 19th century literature a religious spin. Just an idea.

http://metroidvania.tumblr.com/post/47306454653/what-could-have-been

Here we have some scans of scrapped enemies from concept art. I think we could use some or all of this to flesh out the world.

Sacredless

Awesome! That's certainly on my want list!

Also; based on one of the original posters for the Handy Man, I would love to see him be coupled with a small boy mechanic, ala child-labour slash protegé.

http://images.wikia.com/bioshock/images/4/49/Bioshock-infinite-20100906-120734.jpg

Likewise, I think it's pretty open to our imaginations what kind of creatures and technologies we want to put into play here. The tears give us a hell of a lot of leeway.

Sacredless

Indeed! When I saw a poster of Columbia, I wondered if perhaps she was more than a visual representation of the city. Like a less wonderful Wonder Woman. Not the most interesting of ideas, but I would love to see a personification of Columbia! Heck, perhaps as early experiments of Comstock to perfect his methods of indoctrination for Elizabeth!

...there's an idea. I wouldn't mind playing that.

Sacredless

Quote from: Karma on April 13, 2013, 12:42:13 PM
...there's an idea. I wouldn't mind playing that.
\o/ I'll shut my mouth and let you do the rest of the thinking! My job here is done!

Gears are already turning... Columbia, an early success of Lutece's experiments combined with Marlowe's vigors. For a time she was the champion of the city, a proper heroine and idol, crusher of the Vox. But something changed... enter plot/plot device here. She turns against the city... maybe Lutece has something to do with it. Columbia wants to free Elizabeth, or something. Comstock commissions the Songbird, who ends Columbia.

Sacredless

That sounds awesome! This thing will be good. ^^

Plot twist: Elizabeth, as seen ingame, is not the "first" Elizabeth. Columbia is.

Sacredless

I don't know about Columbia being the first, but she definitely works as an experiment! Though perhaps not from a tear, but from indoctrination. We don't want another tear-child I think; that would quickly make her overpowered compared to the rest! Though imbred vigor-blood is still a cool superpower. ^^

Perhaps an additional idea; who's to say there's only one Columbia? ;)

A succession of them, or an army?

Sacredless

Which of those two for you to decide. :P I suppose a sort of Immortal army, like the Persians Immortals, would be neat! But a successive line of Columbias also has it's narrative advantages!

Heh. Make one, and when she goes bad, pull in another through a tear, and let their minds sort it out. Replaceable superheroes...

Sacredless

Yep! Pretty much! Though again, I'd prefer them to be created through indoctrination rather than tears! Tears are really Elizabeths' thing! And the Silent Boys, if you count those.

I don't mean she'd use the tears. Remember, Elizabeth has her powers because her pinky was severed and left in her home universe. Anyone pulled fully through has no tear powers.