Raphael's Corner

Started by Raphael, September 05, 2012, 01:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raphael

Entry: September 5th, 2012

After joining E one and a half years ago, I became quite the prolific roleplayer for a while. At one point, I was the co-creator of 2 and a half group games* and around fifteen one-on-one games, I made many friends, I participated in a number of little forum games, I was a member of socializing threads. Then I left and I was absent for quite some time. Now I am back, largely unremembered, and I have to work my way back up to Ohhimyeahhescoolhesagoodrperandhiskindasexy territory.

The reason for my absence was burnout - I wrote too much in too short a time, my muse was viciously gangbanged until her womb shut down. So now that I have decided to go back to creative writing, I made a vow to be a lot more picky and patient in my roleplays, to take it a couple games at a time and to carefully select my partners.

In the meantime, my real-life creative writing has been suffering from a similar fate. I finally came through and I have restarted my novel project - the one that was originally supposed to be last year's NaNoWriMo... Ha. This time I'm going forward.

Albert Einstein says that creativity is intelligence having fun. About time I got smart about it, then.

I shall maintain this blog in order to attract attention from ladies who read it out of curiosity and see how smart, funny, intelligent and cool I am and approach me with flirty private messages track my own progress and have my self-promises in writing to bug me and make me feel bad about myself if I deviate from the path of sensibility.

-Raphael

----
* Two and a half group games. I created a setting for this one group of people, wrote the entry blog, set up everything as close to perfection as possible... and then they ignored my character and left him out of the story. It hurt my feelings, boo-hoo. Yes, I did laugh out loud but I was crying on the inside, I promise.

Raphael

I am at 60,000 words in my novel. Some life things have hampered my progress in the last few weeks but they are mostly temporary and have nothing to do with my desire to finish it. It's mostly things such as my university exams that are going to be over in exactly 3 weeks.

I have been a little pissed off lately and I am going to use this space here to rant a little about the so called 'Grammar Nazis'. If anyone is reading this, I realize I am most probably preaching to the choir but still.

Proper grammar and proper spelling are a cornerstone of literacy. Literacy is a huge part of one's culture. And it is culture that sets us apart from all other animals.

It's not communication or science or revelations or faith that make us different than all other animals--they all have those things in their primitive form. It is our culture--or the ability of our communication, scientific discoveries, revelations and faith to TRANSCEND generations. Culture is our ability to learn what other people have done before us, and the way we apply our knowledge to our own lives. Our culture contributes heavily to the way we see ourselves and the others around us, the way we think, the way we contribute, the way we make decisions.

Have you heard of Shakespeare? Cos there's no ape, ant, parrot or dolphin that has heard of another member of its species that lived 400 years ago.

It is no coincidence that classical education produces almost as many high level managers, advisers and politicians as a degree in finance or law. Culture is vital for the survival and advancement of our species and it is the single most important thing for human beings. You may study something that has nothing to do with literature, yet you study out of books, you use language to do it, and verbal and written communication to pass it on. Culture is crucial. Literacy is a big part of it.

To anyone who downplays the importance of knowing the difference between 'your' and 'you're': you're a jackass and your opinion is influenced by obvious lack of culture so it doesn't count.

Raphael

I am back on Elliquiy after a long absence due to my life shaping up to be quite awesome (at least for the time being).

My first novel is complete, I am currently editing it before I publish. The feeling is intoxicating. It's like having a hardcover baby!!! I recommend the experience.

Now I'm introducing myself back to creative writing... the last few months have been nothing but editing. A lot of hard work with very little creative reward. Hence, my return to RP. RP is great for keeping one's creativity rolling, and I am going to need that for when I start writing my second novel.

It's good to be back, though. Elliquiy has a good community of creative and easy-going people, I missed having that in my life.

Dez

Congratulations on your first novel!!!!!

Additionally --- welcome back to creative writing!!!

Raphael