INTEREST CHECK: City of the Drow (3.5) [LOOKING FOR PLAYERS]

Started by Krayz, September 08, 2011, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, I can do freeform in limited small area or when I run things as storyteller but I just feel...not comfortable to do multi player game resolving around a drow city soap opera drama and occassional conflict with freeform. The other drow game is indeed railroaded to specific direction.

If I would had suggested system stuff to this game I could had called that all chars must be drow first. All 12th level (14th level with the LA). There can be matron mothers but it is handled out by GM's judgement (min 1 and max 3 example). Matron mothers are also 12th level so they need keep mind others are egual level but in social rank they out weight the rest.

Matron mothers gain benefit of two bonus feats; leadership and landlord feat from stronghold builder's guide which gives matron mothers extra gold modify their base of operations (their houses basically said). But there are limits; Example cohort must be either a consort or close (non-outside, non-drow) ally of the house.

Stats would had been point buy 32. There is otherwise no difference between nobles and commoner drows statically nor wealth but nobles got support of the house basically while commoners don't have. But nobles are limited in dealings with other drow houses while commoner backgrounded drow can traffic in or out of the houses based on are they invited or not.

Anyways HF and GL with the game and thanks from compliment :).

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 09, 2011, 10:47:05 AM
Yeah, if we follow present edition then it would be no for male clerics but in older editions there were but none outranked female clerics.

Also could rule that any male wanting become Lolth cleric must undergo gender change.

Well I did mention he uses female titles and pronouns. The constant assassination attempts are more the determent then Lolth herself. It's theorized that Drizzt Do'Urden's success is much because Lolth absolutely loves how much he fucks with the Drow and actually helps him. Similar idea with the male "Quel'Valsharess" he embodies what she likes in her priestesses even more then the females and he pisses everyone off on top of it.

Still I can see that my concept is a bit avant garde for the setting and I can understand that. Ive been in games where my ideas were only grudgingly accepted and it never works out well so i'll probably just withdraw interest. Also I would have absolutely ADORED this being a system game. Oh dear goddess that would be awesome. Zaer since you seemed to like my concept and wanted to do it system.... well if you ever consider running a dark elf system game do let me know.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, can give call but got lot things on hot iron atm but we shall see :).

Snake

I'll play one. I've got a male sorcerer/hexblade that wants to fucking overturn his own house and rule it intsead of his mother and sisters (he's an epic level sorc so he's got one of those spells: enslave. a permanent solution to having to consistently keep them down. but until he can do it he uses stuff like undetectable alignment or a permanent mind-blank spell. (a "gift" from anothe rmage he intimidated into it then offed.)

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I doubt epic levels would be reached fast in such game. One reason for generous starting level was give to make all char quite capable lot already where most rest are below them (expect matron mothers and other PC's and some few npc's which some may be above the starting level range).

Also fun fact; I am playing in arena environment a 9th level drow hexblade and he has Imp as his familiar. His familiar has more AC than him so he uses his pimped imp tank stuff. Imp's a female personality with name Kizabum (name itself is subtle insult to people whom she introduces herself).

Krayz

If there's really that many people that want it, I'll run it as a system game. I always make a full character sheet for my dude anyways, so it's no skin off of my back... lol

Zaer Darkwail

Oh, then tell us starting level, stat creation and any banned/allowed source books :). Perhaps some the suggestions I made before? In that PC matron mothers (DM chosen) aren't higher level than rest but have just two bonus feats; Leadership (cohort being either consort or other ally) and Landlord feat which would give 200,000gp purely to build stronghold plus up to 50,000gp bonus when you spend your own char gold build stronghold (meaning if you spend 25,000gp from starting gold you get 25,000gp added. But if you spend 60,000gp from starting gold you get only +50,000gp added to it).

If any matron candidate wants custom make stronghold I can help build one :). Assuming Krayz allows stronghold builder's guide.

Krayz

I liked the ruleset you put down, Zaer, with the added addendum that ONLY Matrons can take Leadership and Landlord.

As for source material, I'd like to keep psionics out, simply because I think that they're handled in a mind-numbingly retarded way. Aside from that, I can't think of anything I can't bear. I planned posting this topic very poorly; I'm going away this weekend on a camping trip with family and friends. So, everyone throw together 12th level drow characters with a 32-point stat buy without using psionics, and I'll look them over when I get back Sunday or Monday. Any woman can offer to make a Matron, but in addition to the character, they have to lay out background for their House, specialties, etc. I will approve the Houses I want in the game. Anyone who wants to make a noble, don't give them a last name until the Houses have been established.

Myrleena

Eh...if only matrons can take Landlord, I think I'll back out.  I have a lot of ideas, but they require far too much money to be feasible on the budget that a starting 12th level character can manage.

Zaer Darkwail

We start as 14th level chars gold wise Myrleena. 12th level class level wise.

Anyways I think Landlord could be given to richer drow merchant types. But only matrons gets both leadership and landlord for free (and are only drow allowed to get leadership feat). But if you want cohort try recruit a PC or use gold hire someone work as bodyguard.

As note Landlord gives 200,000gp gold for any stronghold (or business establishment) and +50,000gp extra if you spend equal amount from starting gold to strong hold (to get 300,000gp invested to stronghold).

I assume any rock material walls are cheaper as we are in underdark after all while anything made from wood gets price tripled consider you need go all way to surface get wood material (if not clever way using spells grow trees in Underdark).

Anyways if matrons want establish house you should list one main source of income to the house (and that resource is not shared by any other house as main resource). Following Krayz idea that each house is equally strong and have somesort speciality. But for variety you can list two secondary resources which can be shared with other house choices.

Besides that matrons should think themes of the house. Example XXX house is known for skilled warriors and is major weapon manufacturer (major resource income) thanks having access to iron ore mine (minor resource) and runs part of craft district (second minor resource).

Anyways I start work on my char. He most likely is going to be drow male sorcerer 1/wizard 5/Ultimate Magus 6. Or a bard.

Kolbrandr

I was hoping for something higher level to be honest, good luck with it though.

PaleEnchantress

My character, I've already created his house and theme. Traditionally I play him as the "first daughter" of House Archwinter which species in black market magic on the surface and slave trade with the Illithids. In this case though i think id have already liked to have disposed of the Archwinter matriarch and become matriarch myself.

Krayz

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on September 09, 2011, 02:42:03 PM
Traditionally I play him as the "first daughter" of House Archwinter which species in black market magic on the surface and slave trade with the Illithids. In this case though i think id have already liked to have disposed of the Archwinter matriarch and become matriarch myself.
The gender thing is very confusing. Especially him being the daughter, who became the matriarch. Does he hide his gender through magic or something?

Zaer Darkwail

I could imagine the 'first daugther' who is actually first born male who had killed first born daugther and then made coup in the house and using some gender changing item (there are cursed items for that but also it can be done with any magic item which gives 24 hour lasting alter self and if limited strictly it can be quite cheap even).

Or another way is to use necromancy to steal soul off from original first daugther's body and get it possessed as male. But trap the soul is yet again high level necromancy and would ask use of a scroll.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Krayz on September 09, 2011, 03:22:13 PM
The gender thing is very confusing. Especially him being the daughter, who became the matriarch. Does he hide his gender through magic or something?

You might consider him 'borderline transgendered" but no he doesn't hide his gender. If you know about female Pharaohs and some other female leaders in patriarchies they would often dress as men and take male titles "Son of Osiris" rather then daughter. It's similar in this case, he is "first daughter" because "first son" is a very different role in a dark elf house. He killed the other daughters that held the position until it was given to him and he held it. He is a matriarch because that's the capacity he acts in, Drow society doesn't have a patriarch and if they did the role would be vastly different.

It makes it a bit easier for the other priestesses to swallow too since their system hasn't changed. The male (Abduxuel is his name) has gained this prestige only by playing the game as a female. Consequently any of the male and female equality factions despise him, as a Vhaerunite might say "Abduxuel Archwinter? One of the most dangerous and terrifying priestesses I've ever seen. Don't mistake him for a potential ally, he is as ruthless as any other matriarch and twice as insane"  Rule wise id even say he meets any "requirement: female" and doesn't meet any "requirement: male".

While I'm really excited about this, if I'm not wanted in your game I understand. I'll be dissipation but do let me know if you're just trying to tell me "buggar off" without sounding harsh.

Snake

Point-buy stats... what's so wrong with the ol 4d6, take the highest" type of stat generation?

PaleEnchantress

I know I prefer point buy, more control over what my stats are.

Snake

Ultimately lower than what they could be with the die-rolls? But more balanced I suppose.

anyway; would you accept a drow werewolf or half-dragon?

PaleEnchantress

32 pointbuy tends to be much higher then dice rolls. I think the GM is away for now so can't get an answer on the templates.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, to address issue with public male char acting full out female. I think it's not that possible in Lolth culture expect if somereason male has not got direct blessing or sign of Lolth's blessing and have genuine cleric powers.

I would say if said male would had also got high intimidate and diplomacy skills to convince female drow or make few opposition to back off and is capable survive from assassin attacks to drive the point despite his born gender he is actually 'she' by soul and personality. But as said GM call on that one but what I got feel from Krayz he may want keep the game close to 3.5 cannon drow lore.

Now my take to werewolf and half-dragon templates; I find it extremely weird that there would be werewolves at all in underdark. A more likely were creatures are from native animals in underdark. This case bats is one good example and badgers maybe (and not sure about arachnids, got feeling only animals can be were creatures and not vermin).

Half-dragon is possible, as there are deep wyrms in Underdark and some drow make deals with them and so forth. But in general stock they are treated as outcastes as most half-dragons are half-drow aswell. None in noble house likely (if not count adoption or birthed by one matron's daugthers).

Also I should remind you could also play a draegloth; a base draegloth is 10th level creature and they have high esteemed status among drow. You can have 4 class levels as draegloth. Usually male personality draegloths are barbarians and females are clerics (but they can be anything really altough bard would be silly).

AngelicBlade

I'd be interested in this if I knew the system you're using, saddly I do not. But I am interested and if any feels like teaching me I'd gladly play this game.

Zaer Darkwail

We are using 3.5 DnD. Here are two links to help you out if your unfamiliar with the system;

DnD Wiki (open game content)
Revised system documents

Also if you can tell what sort char you want to play I can help get you started.

Snake

Actually. half deep dragon drow are as prized as Draegloth are. From what I've read anyway, they're carefully concealed from the other houses.

and as for the lycanthrope thing: yeah I meant it in general.