News:

Main Menu

Winter is Coming...

Started by Rhapsody, April 01, 2012, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polymorph

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on June 15, 2015, 08:29:58 PM
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Kinda surprised they killed off Myrcella - seeing as in the books she is still alive, just severely wounded/disfigured.
As is, I am impatiently waiting for Winds of Winter to come out.

Possibly, if she is indeed dead, (and I'm not certain of that because there is the possibility Bronn got slipped some more of the antidote by Tyena when she said goodbye) then this is a way to bring Dorne into the war for the series. With no young Griff, golden company or Prince Quentin I suppose some other reason would be needed to make Doran pick a side.

Iniquitous

Quote from: Aiden on June 19, 2015, 11:10:01 AM

Jon Snow is dead and gone....but Jon Targeryeran? Or maybe Azor Ashai the lord of light. That is the misdirection I am hoping for!

I seem to remember something from the last book that indicated Dany may be Azor Ashai. I'm going to re-read Dance With Dragons as soon as I finish re-reading American Gods (another book I love being made into series!), but I swear I remember that. Melisandre has been wrong since she first came into the series, I do not think she is going to be right now.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

jouzinka

Oooooooor Howland Reed? Given that we will very likely see Tower of Joy, there has to be someone to shed light on the events and their significance. And since Howland Reed is the only living person remaining to tell the tale, he would be my bet.

I also think it became established somewhat that we will not be seeing the Greyjoys in any kind of a significant role, but I may be mistaken.

HBO also confirmed 8 seasons of GoT.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Beorning

Please remind me, what is Tower of Joy?

Quote from: jouzinka on August 01, 2015, 02:40:35 PM
HBO also confirmed 8 seasons of GoT.

I admit I would trade these remaining 3 season for 2 more seasons for Hannibal... These days, after watching stuff like Black Sails, I'm really starting to believe that GoT is nothing very special. Meanwhile, Hannibal is an amazing, unique and simply beautiful show that's going to be cut short...  :-(

Remiel

Quote from: Beorning on August 01, 2015, 03:56:23 PM
Meanwhile, Hannibal is an amazing, unique and simply beautiful show that's going to be cut short...  :-(

Yeah, I was surprised at that as well.   But then again, I thought it was always extremely dark for a network program.  Perhaps it'll be picked up on cable?

Beorning

Quote from: Remiel on August 01, 2015, 04:06:10 PM
Yeah, I was surprised at that as well.   But then again, I thought it was always extremely dark for a network program.  Perhaps it'll be picked up on cable?

All news I've read indicate that no-one's interested in picking it up, including Netflix  :-(

Thumper

There is no such thing as winter nobly summer and colder summer.

It's not snow it's called cold soft rain, it's not sleet it's cold hard rain, it's not hail  it's cold big rain.

jouzinka

Please remind me, what is Tower of Joy?

I admit I would trade these remaining 3 season for 2 more seasons for Hannibal... These days, after watching stuff like Black Sails, I'm really starting to believe that GoT is nothing very special. Meanwhile, Hannibal is an amazing, unique and simply beautiful show that's going to be cut short...  :-(
It's a tower in Dorne where Rhaegar Targaryen kept the supposedly kidnapped Lyanna Stark.

Personally, never got into Hannibal, but I LOVE Black Sails.

Iniquitous

Max von Sydow has been cast as Three-Eyed Raven for season 6.  This is ... interesting.

Oniya

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on August 03, 2015, 09:57:10 PM
Max von Sydow has been cast as Three-Eyed Raven for season 6.  This is ... interesting.

Max von Sydow in anything is interesting.  Almost makes me wish I still had a TV.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sir Percival the Gallant

These days, after watching stuff like Black Sails, I'm really starting to believe that GoT is nothing very special.

Yeah, the writing for Black Sails is excellent, as I immediately found the plot threads more engaging on the whole that with GoT—in particular, because you have plot threads that keep crossing over each other, which is easy to do when most of the characters aren't geographically very separated from each other. However, I attribute some of the bumps in this narrative this year to the show trying to squeeze the material of FfC and DwD (which felt very scattered and tedious) into the mould of the show. Now that the show is moving beyond the published books, I have some hope that the writers will have enough creative licence to steer things a little more smoothly.

I find many characters in Black Sails also very engaging. I love, for instance, how Charles Vane can be just as brutal as someone like Gregor Clegane, but is also charismatic and exercises a degree of restraint because he realises it often can work for him more effectively than sheer big dumb force. So he has a willingness to be loyal and even respectful to others so long as they serve his interests. And then there's his feelings for and frustrations with Eleanor.

Beorning

I decided to resurrect our GoT thread, as I'd like to ask an important question.

Basically, it seems that Winds of Winter won't be published before the start of Season 6 on HBO. So... are you going to watch the series, when it arrives? Or are you going to wait for the book?

I can't decide, personally...

Remiel

Watch the series.

I don't think having read the books detracted in any way from my enjoyment of the show, so there's no reason to think the inverse won't be true.  :-)

jouzinka

Personally definitely planning on watching. In my opinion, they have deviated so far from the books in most of the plotlines that it doesn't really matter. Martin has confirmed that he has writer's block and that he definitely won't be able to finish before the series starts (as he missed the end-of-the-year deadline, which was already his second).

I'll return to the books when they're all out and I can read the entire series (if indeed he manages to finish it).

Beorning

Really? I've found that watching the series kind of diminishes my enjoyment of books, as it presents a weird alternate reality where some of the characters are drastically different.

I vastly prefer the books to the show, so I really hoped that the new book would come out before April. Now, I'm not sure what to do...

Why must Martin torture us so???

Quote from: jouzinka on January 13, 2016, 11:52:08 AM
Martin has confirmed that he has writer's block

Noooooooooooooooooooooo...!!!  :o  :o  :o

jouzinka

Well, he did say that all the press/public events he had to attend because of the fame of the series were inhibiting his time, mainly, and ability to write.

Maybe it's not a writer's block, maybe the things that are happening are on such a large scale it takes up a lot of his time. As the paths of all the protagonists divided, he has basically several books to write, then cramp them all into one volume. Think of it - Night's Watch, Bran beyond the Wall, Stannis and battle of Winterfell, Littlefinger and Sansa in the Valley, Rickon on Skagos (I think), King's Landing, Aegon and Griff and their campaign through the land, Daenerys in Mereen, Arya in Braavos AND Arianne and the Martells in Sunspear.

I have a headache just thinking about it.

Formless

Quote from: jouzinka on January 13, 2016, 11:52:08 AM
Personally definitely planning on watching. In my opinion, they have deviated so far from the books in most of the plotlines that it doesn't really matter.

Pretty much this. The show now can be considered an ' alternate ' telling of the story.

Beorning

Quote from: jouzinka on January 13, 2016, 12:18:51 PM
Well, he did say that all the press/public events he had to attend because of the fame of the series were inhibiting his time, mainly, and ability to write.

Maybe it's not a writer's block, maybe the things that are happening are on such a large scale it takes up a lot of his time. As the paths of all the protagonists divided, he has basically several books to write, then cramp them all into one volume. Think of it - Night's Watch, Bran beyond the Wall, Stannis and battle of Winterfell, Littlefinger and Sansa in the Valley, Rickon on Skagos (I think), King's Landing, Aegon and Griff and their campaign through the land, Daenerys in Mereen, Arya in Braavos AND Arianne and the Martells in Sunspear.

I have a headache just thinking about it.

Yeah... If I was writing this stuff, I'd just cuddle in the corner and cry. How can anyone keep track of a plot this big?

But speaking of watching, the last season has already included some possible spoilers for the books. Doesn't that make your anticipation of the books a bit less intense?

For example:
I was looking forward to learning the result of the coming Winterfell battle. But now, the show has revealed this result. So, I'm not going to be as shocked when reading about Stannis' defeat, as I could be...

BTW. I must say that I hate what the show did with Stannis. In the books, he's a reasonable man - but the show made him into a fanatic who had his own daughter sacrificed...

jouzinka

I read the books when Game of Thrones started its first season and while I did read the books before watching the show, I didn't shy away from the spoilers. In a way I was looking forward to reading the books without spoilers, but I found that as I read it, the outcome wasn't really that important for me, at least not with an author like Martin. How the plot gets to the point proved to be just as entertaining for me.

I too am upset about how the events unfolded. I'd have loved to see what Stannis would do with Melissandre after Shireen. But... who knows. Maybe I'll still see that. ;D

Beorning

Quote from: jouzinka on January 13, 2016, 01:47:45 PM
I read the books when Game of Thrones started its first season and while I did read the books before watching the show, I didn't shy away from the spoilers. In a way I was looking forward to reading the books without spoilers, but I found that as I read it, the outcome wasn't really that important for me, at least not with an author like Martin. How the plot gets to the point proved to be just as entertaining for me.

Oh, no, I hate spoilers, personally. I mean, if somebody spoiled the Red Wedding to me, I'd be furious...

I too am upset about how the events unfolded. I'd have loved to see what Stannis would do with Melissandre after Shireen. But... who knows. Maybe I'll still see that. ;D

So, you think that
he might still be alive?

jouzinka

All, I am saying is that all we've seen is a sword being swung and that Martin has a knack for cliffhangers like that.

It's the same with Snow and Myrcella.

My brother came up to me and said: "Too bad Snow's dead." And I asked: "Is he now?" He said: "Well, he bled out to death, so..."

But that isn't really what we saw happening, is it? All we have seen is Jon lying on the white snow bleeding, Myrcella collapsing in her father's arms, bleeding, and a sword being swung in the direction of Stannis.

Remember, in the books, Brienne and Pod were on horses that were charged to gallop with a noose around their throats... yet they survived. Because she yelled a single word.

Beorning

Personally, I'm pretty certain that Myrcella is going to die... in the show, anyway. The whole storyline is completely different in the books. But the show... the show is cruel, so I'm certain that Myrcella will die. Poor girl...

As for Snow... it has always been obvious to me that he won't die. The whole Night Watch / wildlings / Others' invasion revolves around him. Not to mention that
the books are already suggesting that he, not Stannis, is the "chosen one" Melisandre is looking for
. Don't worry, Snow will be back!

... and he will marry Daenerys in the end  ;D

Iniquitous

Snow coming back is something I hope happens - and it is set up for that to happen with Melisandre at the wall.  Marrying Daenerys? Naw. Half the time I am thinking she wont make it to the end. She's a brat of a teen who refuses to see what her actions create.

And yes. I will be watching the new season because it is a different retelling of the same story.