Crimson Fortune - Recruiting Thread

Started by Esoteric Myobi, October 29, 2009, 11:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayline

This is my first post outside of introductions and the doormat, so bear in mind I am super-green

Name: Xiang
Race: Qilin
Household: Mixed
Position: Advisor to Mixed

Weapons/Abilities:

Weapon: unarmed

6th Sense: He can sense good and evil in others. However, he cannot read minds. For instance if a man were a murderer, he could sense the guilt/evil intentions, but would have no knowledge of his actual crimes.

Berserk: Xiang is susceptible to extreme shifts in emotion when in proximity to someone extremely evil. It is the reason he has been moved from the judicial court to the royal one. During these rages, he often partially reverts to his Qilin form, growing patches of scales and a horn.

Extreme Luck: Xiang is extremely lucky, to the extent that misfortune and injury seldom fall on him. For example, there have been seven assassination attempts made on him since his rise to advisor. All have backfired.

Aura of Benevolence: Has healing touch, such to the extent that even insects he step on are revived uncrushed. It works only on those who are good, but despite this, Xiang cannot use it on himself.

Celestial Fire: When enraged, his body is consumed by flames that burn evil.

Combat Ability: He has been in dangerous situations before, times when he has either succumbed to rage or been attacked by assassins. However, he has no real combat training, nor exceptional strength, and relies on rage, celestial fire, and luck to pull through alive.

Orientation: Straight

Appearance:

Qilin Appearance: Here (fixed, I hope)

Human Appearance:Xiang is a short slender man, hardly over 5'4" and weighing maybe 120 pounds. His attire is simple compared to those of his court contemporaries, a  silk long coat such as this along with a silk shirt, shoes and pants. The patterns of the fabric are often ornate and colorful.

Personality: Xiang wants to see improvement in the world and for there to be peace between the warring families, and he wants to make it happen by the most peaceable methods possible. He's prone to honesty, and has a very weak grasp of subterfuge. He knows his weaknesses well, and when someone extremely evil enters court he often excuses himself so as to resit the urge to strike. In public he strives to maintain a stoic appearance, despite conflicting urges based on the guilty feelings of those around him. He feels some connection to his head of house whose perceptive powers are related to his. He devotes his free time to meditation, gardening, and watercolor, and is a vegetarian due to his aversion to (innocent) bloodshed.

Biography: Xiang was recognized early on for his abilities to quickly get to the root of crimes, a talent inherited from his Qilin lineage. He was quickly appointed to a high rank in the Mixed kingdom's judicial court and was successful in solving numerous cases which had lain in deadlock for decades. However, he soon became a liability in the courtroom when the other side of his nature came to light. During trials he would often visibly lose his composure, becoming angry with the guilty parties. It reached its peak during the trial of a major crime-lord. Xiang leapt from his seat and attacked the accused, bursting into flames that injured five men, killing the crime-lord.

After this he was removed from court and investigated. It was then that the royal family learned of his hidden abilities and took an interest in including him in royal court to oversee meetings with local lords and foreign diplomats. After a long period of training in self-restraint he was made the lords top advisor. His abilities are a closely guarded secret known only to his head of house.

That's my idea. He's more a walking lie detector than a crafty advisor, but I could see him ending up the Lord's right hand man in court due to his usefulness.

Edit: Just read up on the head of the house. I figure given the head's similar ability, Xiang would be more often used as an ambassador. Changed his age since the head of house is a similar beast and would age at the same rate. Got rid of lie-detection.

Esoteric Myobi

Welcome to Elliquiy then Jayline.

For a first post it's not bad. =) In fact, you are accepted. ^^

Ah, by the way, your QiLin appearance link isn't working correctly.

...I want to be your wet dream, your daydream, your only distraction...
~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

Sydonai

Thanks to Kunoichi for inviting me over ;D so after much researching I've come up with the mythological character I would like to roleplay, from my own home country.

Name: Awang

Race: Hantu Raya(The Great Ghost/ Lord of Ghosts)

Household: Myths

Position: Co-Captain/Commander of the Myths

Weapons/ Abillities: Awang wields two weapon, one of it being the conventional sharp claw which he could grew it up to 20 inches long and retracts it at any moment and another one, a hidden weapon in which he could summon during dire times, a black kris, old and traditional weapon used by soldiers and warriors of ancient Malay and Indonesian Kingdom
weapon appearance: http://kecekapan.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/keris_dapur_nogo_sosro.jpg

Awang has a set of abilities quite common to most ghosts with additional strength, being the most powerful of them all:-

Incorporeal: Awang could at anytime uses this ability to make his entire body goes incorporeal, thus meaning he could pass through solid unenchanted walls without too much difficulty and the same goes to cold, hard physical weapon. However, Awang is most vulnerable and can easily be repelled with magical weapons and enchantments.

Flying: Without such an ability one cannot call themselves ghost, Awang can easily flew over the night's sky for as long as he wills it to. This make for his primary way of transportation.

Blink: The element of surprise and suspense should and must always be a ghosts main weapon against their prey, with this ability, Awang is able to teleport in between rooms in a building easily, or just as a fun way to scare his prey off their pants. In battle however, this skill could prove to be fatal to his opponents since he could easily for all intents and purposes outmaneuver his enemies, however if his enemy were to carry with them an enchantment or even a weapon with small amount of magical properties, it could easily disrupt Awang's blinking ability.

Posession: possessing a human is another form of powers for a great ghost like Awang, by doing so he'll be able to easily slip in to human society and even infiltrate as one of them, however during this time Awang will be completely vulnerable in human body and can be killed so he would have to take a great risk when possessing someone. However, he can only be exorcised from the victim's body by a powerful enchantment or a powerful shaman. A trait that could give him away while he is possessing someone else is that when the person is easily agitated and has a great temper to match it, easily angered upon. Aside from that, this power would usually take so much out of him, that he could only do so once a month, during full moon when his power is at its greatest.

Appearance: In a mortal form, Awang appears as an ordinary human in his 20's on the front, standing at 5'7 black short hair with a few silver strands lining up at the front and the back of his hair. His red ruby eyes betrays the notion that he was at all a human, that alone could easily give him away immediately. Awang has a well toned body, neither too muscled nor too lithe and light. yellowish skin tone, normal for any southeastern descents. In normal occasion, he would usually wear a full set of black colored traditional Malay worn clothes from head to toes. However, in his demonic form, Awang is truly a terrifying sight to behold. Standing at 7 ft tall, his face will darkens, his hair will grow long and unkempt and his red eyes will glow, he would even grow a full set of fangs in his mouth from his normal teeth during his mortal form and he would also be draped in gray worn-out robe.
Clothes Pic: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c4/BajuMelayu.JPG/200px-BajuMelayu.JPG

Biography:-
Hantu Raya originates in Malaysia and is said to be the master of all ghosts (hantu). It is the leader of the underworld legion and those who make alliance with it, are considered powerful. Hantu Raya is the acronym for Hantu or Ghost and Raya, large, huge, supreme, enormous, great, as in "Malaysia Raya" and "Asia Raya" and Hari Raya (Great Celebration or Festival).

In modern Islamic Malay culture, the belief in Hantu Raya is no longer valid, but rather it is identified with a demon, Satan and the Djinn (Genie). Muslims believe that djinns and demons are more powerful than man but less intelligent.

In ancient times, the Malay spirituality was a mix of animism, Hinduism and Buddhism. Spirit worship was not uncommon and these beliefs persisted in rural areas until the latter half of the 20th century. In the case of Hantu Raya, the owner is said to have formed a pact with demon or inherited it from older generations in the form known as Saka or legacy which is handed on down the generations. In return for the advantages and power, the owner agrees to provide for the ghost and appoints a new owner for it before dying.[1]

According to legend, people who fail to untie their bond with the hantu will suffer especially during death. Hantu Raya will resemble the look of its owner ever after death and go roaming. People seeing him will assume that the deceased has been brought back to life. It will search for food and new owner at night and goes around haunting people. Another legend goes that the dying soul will face difficulty in dying and becomes a living corpse or zombie.

Awang came from a house of a very powerful and politically influenced ghosts in the underworld legions. Summoned during the era of the Malaccan Sultanate, near its end in Portuguese hands, he was summoned to aid the Sultan's army and even though he did his part in killing as many of the invaders as he could, he was incapable of saving the sultanate. His master, the one who had summoned him, was killed in the initial battle, left without master and without any of his master's descendants to serve, he should've lost his anchor to the material world, instead, he was so powerful that he decided to sacrifice half of his power as an anchor to the material plane. As such Awang may not be as powerful as he once was but still a force to be reckoned with. Not wanting to be shunned by the greater societies of the 3 household, Awang decided to use his previous master's appearance as his current looks discounting the silver strands of hair and the red ruby eyes of course.

well thats all from me, I hope it met your requirements :D

Esoteric Myobi

Hehe, I knew I could count on Kuno to bring in an interesting player. ;)

With that said, Sydonai, your character is accepted. =) I had actually been wondering when someone would choose to play an undead or a ghost. Since I had originally imagined the Myth Household to be almost like a haunted house at night ^^ Although it would be a normality for all those who reside there, mostly just lesser beings who would be viewed as pests lurking around here and there.

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

jayline

Should some of us start figuring out what relationships our characters have based on the setting? For instance should the lord's character and mine be familiar and friendly with each other?

Esoteric Myobi

I think we're better off doing that later on when most of the positions have been filled. Or at least when all interested parties have applied.

Of course, there are some positions where some of the relationships are already set and players can twist and turn it however they like from there.

In the end, it'll be determined by the players really so you can settle it through PMs or through the OOC thread which I will be putting up when all characters are down. Most likely I'll be making a Profile Thread as well so that it's easier to see everyone's character descriptions without browsing through all our commentary.

I'm being very flexible for things such as this since I encourage players to introduce their own twists, though of course if they feel that it might disrupt the main storyline somehow then please PM me ahead of time. ^^;

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

Tsunami

well that sounds like a plan *yawns* so all we need to is wait and plot.. the plotting is very fun so *goes and does that *
To boldly go where no one wants too!!!!

Haruki

Edit:  Bowed out of the game.  The Head of Humans House is hereby released to another potential player.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Esoteric Myobi

For now, your character biography looks good. Though I think you and LilyPetalLips might be adding a few things here and there to both your profiles.

Either way, I will be getting to certain people with PMs with the details of the plot that I had in mind when all the necessary players have gathered.

Haruki, accepted.

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

Remiel

Name:  Xeng Xaifang
Race:  Human
Household: Human
Position: General / Commander of the Human military
Weapons/Abilities:
Xeng Xaifang carries a katana, Lu Bei, and a wakizashi, Cao Cao. Both have been in his family for 23 generations, passed down from father to eldest son.

He is an accomplished swordsman, and a shrewd tactician.  Knowing full well that he is no match for his Mythological counterparts in direct combat, he is not above using bribery, extortion, trickery, ambush and surprise tactics in order to capitalize on his opponents' weaknesses.  He controls a well-disciplined spy network, and it is rumoured he has sold part of his soul to dark spirits in order to cast demonic magics.

Orientation: Straight.  He is not married, but his relationship with his mistress/ co-commander is well-known.

Appearance: Largely unremarkable, he rarely appears without his armor.

Personality: Xeng Xaifang is cold, calculating, and ruthless in battle.  Long ago, his ancestors ruled the human kingdom; although the glory days of the Xeng empire are long past, there are rumours that he has his eye on the Human throne...

Biography: Xaifang was the oldest son of a daimyo, or warlord.  Publicly, he has sworn allegiance to the Emperor; privately, he keeps his own counsel.  Fortunately for the Emperor, Xaifang's hatred of the mythologicals surpasses his own ambitions, and he has sworn vengeance upon their House for the (in his eyes) unwarranted murder of their ambassador.

Esoteric Myobi

So glad to see you on board Remiel =) Seems like your character will be bringing his own little bits and pieces of conflict into the story ^^

Accepted

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

sinera

An observation that the QiLin and the XieZhi are both "Chinese Dragons," making the Mixed HoH, Ketsuo Toichi,  and Adviser, Xiang, pretty much the same creature.

Just wanting to make that clear before the RP started :)
O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

Esoteric Myobi

Technically they're both Chinese Unicorns, similar but they also have their own subtle differences that keep them apart.

Though the QiLin doesn't actually have the power to tell truth from lies...I'm guessing his 'Sixth Sense' was more a sort of empathy towards others? While the XieZhi can truly tell between a truth and a lie and easily pick it out as well.

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

NightFall

Let me just put this out there since I haven't finished my character yet - she'll definitely be Xeng Xaifang's (Remiel's character's) mistress and co/commander. ;D

Esoteric Myobi

Alright, well hopefully no one takes the spot then ^^;

Like I said in the intro post if someone else applies and is accepted then it's only fair =x Though I don't think it should be a problem anyway =P

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

NightFall

Name: Jiang Lin Yao
Race: Human
Household: Human
Position: Mistress/Co-commander to Xeng Xaifang

Weapons: Katana, Sai, Throwing Daggers, Fans, Weighted Ribbon/Rope

Abilities: A gifted dancer and swordswoman, Lin Yao's background as a trained courtesan taught her charm and diplomacy as well as a specialized style of martial arts that was a secret of White Lotus House. A fluid and graceful style, the props of a dancer easily become weapons in her elegant hands. Each flick of a fan or a weighted ribbon can be as deadly as the thrust of a sword.

A chameleon. She is able to disguise herself well and slip unnoticed in crowds.

Fluid, a dexterity of movement and excellent balance.

Orientation: Straight, mistress of Xeng Xaifang

Appearance: Known for her beauty and grace. Slim, tall, lithe.

Personality: Usually level-headed. Her knack for getting close to people and charming them with her wit and grace makes her useful for gathering information. Normally soft spoken, she does turn into a fierce tigress once provoked and is quite capable of taking someone down despite her slight build. She tends to forget that she is merely a mistress and tends to take exception to people that treat her according to her position.

Biography: Born to a poor family, she was sold into the White Lotus House at the age of eight where Madam Shu Fang saw her true potential as a proper female companion. Though Lin Yao failed at ever singing beyond a passable level and was absolutely useless with a musical instrument, dancing was her gift. Her carriage and posture carried throughout her movement. Her ability to jump and fling herself effortlessly in the air prompted the Madam of the House to teach her the ancient art of the White Lotus Courtesans. Sharp witted, she easily charmed men brought into the pleasure house simply with sparkling conversation and easy smiles. Men would pay surprising amounts for the simple pleasure of her company for tea. As the mistress of a powerful military commander, she is entirely devoted to his cause and aids him in any way possible.

Krysia

Esoteric Myobi

Nightfall, your profile looks good. Accepted.

Krysia, I made it so that three weapons could be carried on hand all the time. Two other weapons are also allowed but those two would be sitting around somewhere else and would need to be retrieved for use.

I actually put the limit of five due to you having five weapons in your profile ^^; and I hadn't realized until then that I had forgotten to put a cap on weapons and abilities.

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

Krysia

Quote from: Esoteric Myobi on November 04, 2009, 07:55:41 AM
Krysia, I made it so that three weapons could be carried on hand all the time. Two other weapons are also allowed but those two would be sitting around somewhere else and would need to be retrieved for use.

I actually put the limit of five due to you having five weapons in your profile ^^; and I hadn't realized until then that I had forgotten to put a cap on weapons and abilities.

Umm I only have 3 weapons... I have martial arts styles to 'go' with the weapons. Gotta know how to use them don't you? It's obvious you got the styles confused 'with' the weapons so here is a break down of what I have again.

Weapons (With Pictures of what they are):
Serpents Sword – One handed Long sword always carried in human form.
Dual Iron Fan – Folded and carried in human form.
The Dragons Tail – Carried on her hip in human form, also known in the western world as the bull whip.

Weapon Styles
Jiulong Baguazhang weapon styles include: Double Edge Sword (Used with Serpent Sword), Bagua Iron Fan (Used with Iron Fans).

A bit clearer now?

Esoteric Myobi

Ah, I see. Sorry for the mistake. =x

Either way, I think that three weapons carried on hand while another two are left for special occasions should still be fair.

Hope no one has any problems with that. =)

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

LilyPetalLips

I am getting really excited about this.  I'm with you, Myobi, on being surprised that no one has taken the Mistress/Lover positions yet at all.  Also, I need a handmaiden!  And the whole captain of the personal guard thing?  Those are awesome positions.

Esoteric Myobi

So am I! This is actually turning out a lot better than I had even dared to hope! ^^;

Well, I did point this out a few times but I'm not entirely sure if everyone totally understood so I'll be saying it again!

After all interested parties have posted up their character profiles I'll be posting my own up. After that's done anyone who is interested in either playing more than one role, but with the same character, (For example, an adviser who is also the mistress.) is more than welcome to apply!

Likewise, anyone who would like to dual role and play two separate characters (though in different houses and positions) then you are also invited to do so.

I'm hoping that this will get the rest of the positions filled up and lead to a whole lot more variety as well as plot twists. =)

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

jayline

Quote from: Esoteric Myobi on November 03, 2009, 11:10:50 PM
Technically they're both Chinese Unicorns, similar but they also have their own subtle differences that keep them apart.

Though the QiLin doesn't actually have the power to tell truth from lies...I'm guessing his 'Sixth Sense' was more a sort of empathy towards others? While the XieZhi can truly tell between a truth and a lie and easily pick it out as well.

I wikipedia'd them, and the Xiezhi draws its form more from predatory creatures while the Qilin takes after hoofed grazers: deer, horses, even bulls.

As for the sixth sense, I can edit that if anyone wants me too. I took it from a note on Wikipedia about how they are prone to attack sinners, and figured they must have a way of telling. Looks like the lie-detecting bit is strictly Xiezhi, so that can be scrapped for redundancy/inaccuracy.

What do you think, sinera? Myobi?

Edit: Here's more on the Qilin from a different site. Looks like they have similar abilities. Xiezhi's kind of like its more-prone to ass-kicking twin. The offer still stands though; I think it would be awesome if the lord and advisor had to rely on each other's related abilities to get a good idea of what's going on in other peoples' heads.

Esoteric Myobi

Name: Faye
Race: Phoenix/Fenghuang
Household: Myth
Position: Lady of the House
Weapons/Abilities:
Manipulation of Fire- A being of passionate fire, Faye can often be seen to be sparking or if seriously angered, slightly flaming. Usually if this happens, her hair will take on a reddish tinge before flames begin to dance in her eyes. Creating fire and manipulating it to her will is a simple task for Faye and can vary from just a small flame to an erupting inferno.

Healing Capabilities- Underneath her many layers of frosty indifference, Faye still has the heart of a loving mother. It may be due to this, as well as her own cycle of rejuvenation, that she is a first rate healer. Whenever seeing someone hurt, either physically or emotionally, she can't help but reach out with a caring hand and try to heal them. Even when Faye herself is the one who may be lashing out with her sharp tongue, later on she finds herself regretting it and many times will awkwardly apologize.

Flight- As the ruler over all other feathered beings, flying is of course a natural gift. While in her human form, flaming wings sprout from her back, a miniature sized version of her actual wings in her true form. Upon closer inspection, it can be seen that underneath the veil of flickering flames emanating off the wings, these are actual feathers, albeit crimson tipped with varying colors of the rainbow.Since the majority of the feathers are varying shades of red to orange and yellow, it looks more like a flaming wing than a rainbow one.

Grace- While Faye is the most graceful when soaring through the skies, her fluid and lithe movements can also be seen while on the ground. Light on her feet, like so many other females of high repute, she excels in dancing and finds it to be an excellent distraction when needed.

Faye generally does not carry too many weapons with her, if at all. Instead, she tends to rely on the personal guard that is dedicated to protecting her as well as the Lord. If ever needed, she trusts that her own capabilities is more than enough to protect herself and make it to safety. However, she is skilled at using her chain whip and her dual chakrams. She tends to favor carrying her chain whip instead of the chakrams due to their large size. When carrying her chain whip, it is most often seen coiled loosely around her waist. Very much like a fancy belt. Other times, if caught while in the middle of performing or practicing, her dual metal fans can turn into a very handy weapon.

Appearance:
True Form: Fiery and free, Faye only feels truly at ease when in her true form. Although she can only stay as such for short periods of time it just makes her savor each second of it even more. In this form her abilities are at their peak and she is a being that demands both power and respect.

Human Form: Long, ebony hair reaching down past her waist, Faye likes to wear her hair mostly down with part of it up. She spends time adorning elaborate head pieces, threading it through her hair or just simply attaching it to the top and/or sides. Contrary to her impressive form as a Phoenix, while in her human form Faye can seem quite defenseless at times. Slight and petite, her long billowing robes tend to engulf her.  These robes tend to always include the colors of white, gold, red, orange, yellow, blue, or black. Her eyes are a soft, dewy brown, but it is not uncommon to see her eyes smoldering or flickering slightly, flecks of red and gold can sometimes make their way into the brown indicating just how irritated she is at the moment.

Personality:
Faye's personality may seem complex to some, but to others she's quite easy to figure out. Extremely proud and expecting to be treated as her status implies, she can be quick to anger if insulted in any way. Due to her status, she's not afraid to speak her mind and while she chooses her words carefully depending on the situation there are the few times when she slips due to anger. More often than not, when she strikes out at anyone (usually verbally) she tends to feel guilty afterwards though she only rarely ever apologizes upfront. Instead she finds little ways to awkwardly show her sincerity of wanting to be forgiven.

Even with these flaws, Faye sees all of the Myth (save for the Lord) as her children and as such she will protect them fiercely to no end, many times putting them before herself. In fact, while she feels something bordering on spite towards the Lord's Mistress, she can never truly bring herself to hate the other woman. Instead she tends to put the blame on the Lord, finding it easier to focus her feelings, be it passionate love or hate, at him.

Biography:
At the very beginning, the Phoenix and the Celestial Dragon had both been powerful entities. Neither one wanted to be viewed as weaker than the other and neither wanted to share equal power either. The Phoenix thus challenged the Dragon several times and lost on each occasion, eventually she found that even without the strife and bitter feelings towards the other, the two had come to terms with each other and found it hard to separate for too long, having grown fond of the other's company. After being paired with the Dragon for so long, Faye has come to develop a sort of love-hate relationship with her 'husband'.

Although it is traditional for a wife to be quiet, reserved, and many times hold little to no power, this is not the case between the Phoenix and the Dragon. If anything, they regard each other as equals and they rule together equally as well. Once every hundred years, the Phoenix returns to the celestial kingdom and is consumed by her own flames only to be 'reborn' again a month later in her own cold ashes. As much as Faye may complain about how much she can't stand the Dragon, at the same time she finds that she cannot stand to be away from him for long periods of time. The irony of this doesn't fail to escape her, due to the fact that before she had found herself constantly by his side, the Phoenix had always been grappling with the Dragon trying to overwhelm him in a fight to show that she was in fact, the more powerful of the two.

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

Esoteric Myobi

Just wanted everyone to know that even though I have (finally) put up my own character, we are still waiting on a few other people so I'm not letting players choose another role or play another character yet. ^^;

Sorry for the delay but hopefully we'll all be able to pick and choose soon. Those of you who are interested in doing either, it's probably a nice time to think of what you would like to be now so that it's easier to put it up later. =)

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~