What kinda car ya'll rockin?

Started by Lowfoam, November 23, 2018, 06:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowfoam

Come one, come all. Let's have a car discussion. I will be your humble host - somebody who knows absolutely nothing about cars.

When I came back from Korea, I didn't have a job for a week or two while I moved in with my husband. I applied for car loans and they all rejected me even though Korea gave me 13k-ish USD as a parting gift / I'd been transferring money home.

Ended up buying my 2015 Ford Fiesta outright in cash because of that, but oh well. No loan history for me.

3 days ago my husband and I decided to get a Tesla Model 3 and now we fight over whose turn it is to drive the car lol.

Before that he had a '06 Mustang. He's used to driving cars that go BRRRRRRRRRR.

My car is nicknamed Dinky Doo, save for when she breaks down, then she's called Dinky Don't.

What kinda car you rockin', E?

No shame in the car game. Before all of this I owned '80s and '90s cars that were handmedowns!
These are links I think you might find interesting:
  My On || Off Thread
  My One x One Thread

I wish that someway, somehow
That I could save every one of us
But the truth is that I'm only one girl.

greenknight

Quote from: Lowfoam on November 23, 2018, 06:35:43 PM
3 days ago my husband and I decided to get a Tesla Model 3 and now we fight over whose turn it is to drive the car lol.

Before that he had a '06 Mustang. He's used to driving cars that go BRRRRRRRRRR.
Except for a Model S, a 2000, and GRRRRRRR....
And I have no one to fight for driver duties.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Lynnette

Currently, I drive a Tesla Model S P85D, slightly older one granted. SO drives a BMW E46 M3. Tesla going out of warranty soon though  :-\ But we'll see, maybe it'll stick around. Main reason I ended up getting one was because I was at a point where I had money, and here in Norway at the time you got through all tollbooths for free (Of which there are very many mind you), you can use the public transport lane (Not allowed all the time anymore though since there's just so many electrics), and you got to take ferries for free (Only paying for the people in the car). That, and fuel costs are pretty abysmal at about 2 dollars per liter of fuel.

Before that... My first car was an old early 2000s Mercedes C180 Kompressor, with a staggering 140 ponies. It looked like it had survived both world wars, but it worked immaculately... For the most part at least. After that, before the tesla I had an E240 early 2010 model. I've generally been curious about Japanese cars here, and I'll admit I'm drooling all over the new Kia Stinger GT, but there's the big issue that Japanese/Korean cars... They rust. They rust like crazy here, 2000s models you could probably punch a hole in the door of by now just due to the rust.
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Nico

Tesla Model S, in black. It's pretty new and it wasn't cheap but it is so worth it. Gas is getting more and more expensive and in the end, it was an economic decision.

Caradoc

Toyoya Prius. Great gas mileage, very reliable. I'm not really a car guy, so if gets me where I need to go and the music works, I'm a happy guy.
So tell me do you wanna go?
Where it's covered in all the colored lights
Where the runaways are running the night
Impossible comes true, it's taking over you

My Ons and Offs

A/A's Updated 1/25/17

Lowfoam

Oh jesus ya'll it is insane how many of you lot gotta Tesla!

@green: I normally swipe it whenever he can work from home or doesn't work. As is, I normally get it three ish days a week.

@lynnette: that is a pretty strong reason. Hit all those toll roads for free! That is insane though. In Americaland things are a tad different, and it really depends on where you live. Luckily no toll roads for us,

But I feel on the salt issue. They just throw it down on the roads here so thick the road turns white, and it's like a mandatory car wash every two weeks to try and purge the salt!

@nico: us too! Gas is cheap enough that my car only cost 65$ USD to fill up a month. Now that I won't drive her as much, I'll be interested to see how much our gas will go down!

@caradoc: The OG of EVs. I remember when I wanted one of those before a Tesla because the idea of a 60mpg was mind boggling. But I am roughly the same. Music and it turns on, we good!
  My On || Off Thread
  My One x One Thread

Lynnette

Quote from: Lowfoam on November 24, 2018, 04:51:40 PM
@lynnette: that is a pretty strong reason. Hit all those toll roads for free! That is insane though. In Americaland things are a tad different, and it really depends on where you live. Luckily no toll roads for us,

But I feel on the salt issue. They just throw it down on the roads here so thick the road turns white, and it's like a mandatory car wash every two weeks to try and purge the salt!

Yeah it's insane how many people own teslas, I honestly didn't expect that.
Another big reason people get them here is because they're not taxed like normal cars, making them relatively affordable. Of course, it's still in the upper brackets, but not nearly as much as it is in the US. Electric cars don't have to pay the normal 25% sales tax etc. So that too contributes a lot.

And yeah, the salt's a big issue, thick layers of salt sludge everywhere. At the worst points I just have to pull out the pressure washer and clean out the wheelwells after each drive.

In general, I'm pretty happy with the tesla, but I might go back to a gasoline car if I end up selling it. Not in a position to get a new model S, and I'm not liking the Model 3 that much honestly, I feel the interior just looks so... Empty. I feel they overdid it when they removed the gage cluster altogether. Kia Stinger GT is current pick, though a new Honda Accord wagon is decently appealing as well.

Oh, and I forgot one thing regarding the tesla. The horsepower. Of course, it's just "hehe my car's faster than yours", but cars here are so damned slow with almost all modern cars being 3/4 cylinder cars producing sub-150bhp, but electrics don't have that issue since no emissions.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Lowfoam

@lynnette: me too! I mean, it's becoming more and more common here in the states (either that or I'm just seeing them more), but it's just making more and more sense. You remove all the worries about gas, plus you get the nifty autopilot, and you eliminate 99% of worrying about the car. You don't gotta worry about xx-part or this fan or this cable breaking, because it just doesn't exist. It's incredible. I mean sure, you gotta do some bits and bobs, but Tesla takes care of that for you.

When I purchased my 2015 car, we never knew the engine cooling fan had been dead/was dying. She overheated the first month I bought her, then it was winter, and then she overheated twice more in the spring. We thought it was bad coolant, or xx-this or that, nope. It was the dumb fan. Took three mechanics visits to fix. OTL

I understand what you mean - it is weird not having any gauges to look at. I actually get miffed that the wheel doesn't pick up my hands when they're gripping the bottom of the wheel and I'm using autopilot. I drive my gas car that way, too. I have to flick the volume up and down every 30 seconds or so to let her know that I'm still there.

YOOOOOOO you enter warp drive when you're in a Tesla. Hubby says it could probably keep up with a Mustang (if not exceed it).
  My On || Off Thread
  My One x One Thread

Nico

Quote from: Lowfoam on November 24, 2018, 07:24:18 PM
YOOOOOOO you enter warp drive when you're in a Tesla. Hubby says it could probably keep up with a Mustang (if not exceed it).

Agreed! The performance is excellent.

Lowfoam

@nico: When I first went for the test drive (hubby in the backseat) the rep was like, "let this guy go ahead" when we went onto the on-ramp for the highway. In my US state, even though the speed limit sign says ~55, people go ~70-80. And then he was like, "gun it."

I did for a few seconds but it was like riding a roller coaster. He just looked co confused. Hubby was like, "She's not used to cars that can actually go."

It was a fun moment for all. I still giggle when I'm like "Warp speed activate!"
  My On || Off Thread
  My One x One Thread

Lynnette

0-60mph it's definitely way faster than a mustang. Past 60mph though, and especially past 100, it definitely fizzles out a bit though. It's a bit like a diesel engine in that regard, it pulls like crazy where you actually have use for the power. The pushed-back-in-the-seat sensation is something in a class of its own though, for sure :P

Quote from: Lowfoam on November 24, 2018, 07:24:18 PM
@lynnette: me too! I mean, it's becoming more and more common here in the states (either that or I'm just seeing them more), but it's just making more and more sense. You remove all the worries about gas, plus you get the nifty autopilot, and you eliminate 99% of worrying about the car. You don't gotta worry about xx-part or this fan or this cable breaking, because it just doesn't exist. It's incredible. I mean sure, you gotta do some bits and bobs, but Tesla takes care of that for you.

When I purchased my 2015 car, we never knew the engine cooling fan had been dead/was dying. She overheated the first month I bought her, then it was winter, and then she overheated twice more in the spring. We thought it was bad coolant, or xx-this or that, nope. It was the dumb fan. Took three mechanics visits to fix. OTL

I understand what you mean - it is weird not having any gauges to look at. I actually get miffed that the wheel doesn't pick up my hands when they're gripping the bottom of the wheel and I'm using autopilot. I drive my gas car that way, too. I have to flick the volume up and down every 30 seconds or so to let her know that I'm still there.

Yeah, you definitely remove a lot of the usual worries just due to the sheer lack of moving parts. However, at the same time, electrical issues are far more difficult to find and takes more effort to fix most of the time, so I figure that kind of stuff post-warranty might cost a fair bit. It's nice when a "full service" is essentially just checking fluids and brakes though.

Aside from some of the lackluster quality control on the earlier Model S years, I don't really have a lot of things I feel are worth complaining about. Small things here and there, but generally it is a very solid car in my eyes. I think range is my one big frustration with moving over to electric, and while the tesla range + free supercharging is very nice, it's still more of a nuisance than stopping for five minutes to fill gas.

That, and new tires are bloody expensive, I'm not looking forward to getting new summer tires this spring, though that goes for all cars so shit luck there. Still, big rims = Big cost.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Dashenka

I'm a proper car nut.. Great to have a topic like this :D

I change cars faster than most girls change shoes though..

I've currently got a McLaren 720s in Orange, a Range Rover Velar in dark red and a BMW M2 in Orange as well...

When I move back to London in january the little BMW has to go though.. :(

Used to have a Tesla but I like my cars to make a noise :D I also wasn't impressed with the build quality and the materials they've used. Also, the autopilot function is mostly illegal here in Europe. You can use it but you still have to pay attention yourself, which rather nullifies the point. And most (high end cars) have the same stuff fitted as a Tesla but they haven't connected the dots yet to make it a full autopilot.

If you want an autopilot in your car, take a cab :) For now, I feel that those autopilots are still WAY too rough around the edges to be safe. You can never programme every single scenario that will ever happen and what if your car has to make moral decisions? When a crash is unavoidable, does it drive you onto the curb where you might hit a pedestrian, or does it know it could hit innocent people and ploughs itself (and you with it) into the back of a lorry..
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Dashenka on November 26, 2018, 02:18:23 AM

I've currently got a McLaren 720s in Orange, a Range Rover Velar in dark red and a BMW M2 in Orange as well...

Used to have a Tesla but I like my cars to make a noise :D I also wasn't impressed with the build quality and the materials they've used.

"I went out shopping and came home with a new car. Only happens to me. :) "
  - Dasha in the chat a year or two back. ;)

Time for a new Volvo when you return to the UK, perhaps? :)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lynnette

Quote from: Dashenka on November 26, 2018, 02:18:23 AM

Used to have a Tesla but I like my cars to make a noise :D I also wasn't impressed with the build quality and the materials they've used. Also, the autopilot function is mostly illegal here in Europe. You can use it but you still have to pay attention yourself, which rather nullifies the point. And most (high end cars) have the same stuff fitted as a Tesla but they haven't connected the dots yet to make it a full autopilot.

If you want an autopilot in your car, take a cab :) For now, I feel that those autopilots are still WAY too rough around the edges to be safe. You can never programme every single scenario that will ever happen and what if your car has to make moral decisions? When a crash is unavoidable, does it drive you onto the curb where you might hit a pedestrian, or does it know it could hit innocent people and ploughs itself (and you with it) into the back of a lorry..

I feel like if I were to get a newer BMW, it would definitely have to be an M2, it just seems like it is the perfect size. As far as I know though, the new M2s are about the same size as the E46 M3 so not in a hurry as long as the M3 keeps on rolling. I feel if I wanted a British exotic I'd be more interested in say a Lotus Evora though, but the 720s is gorgeous.

If I eventually end up getting a house with a proper garage (Current one juuuuuuust baaaaaaarely fits the cars), I'd love to get an old amcar though, a Buick Regal/Grand National from the 80s would be the top pick I think. Would be fun to have something to work on again, not much you can do yourself on a tesla sadly.

Edit:
Also if you go back to the UK, you got two options. Volvo 240/246, or a Peugeot 207. Pick your poison.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Dashenka

Quote from: Lynnette on November 26, 2018, 03:40:36 AM
I feel like if I were to get a newer BMW, it would definitely have to be an M2, it just seems like it is the perfect size. As far as I know though, the new M2s are about the same size as the E46 M3 so not in a hurry as long as the M3 keeps on rolling. I feel if I wanted a British exotic I'd be more interested in say a Lotus Evora though, but the 720s is gorgeous.

If I eventually end up getting a house with a proper garage (Current one juuuuuuust baaaaaaarely fits the cars), I'd love to get an old amcar though, a Buick Regal/Grand National from the 80s would be the top pick I think. Would be fun to have something to work on again, not much you can do yourself on a tesla sadly.

Edit:
Also if you go back to the UK, you got two options. Volvo 240/246, or a Peugeot 207. Pick your poison.

I live in Switzerland now and the M2 Competition that I got is honestly a nicer car to drive around mountain roads than the 720... It's small, nimble and fast enough and it sounds pretty good. Got a friend with an M4 who has a friend with an M3 and we regularly go out with the 3 M's and they're both a little jealous at my M2C :)

If I had to pick between a Volvo and a Peugeot it will always be a Volvo... I'd honestly rather walk or starve to death than ever drive a Peugeot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgjmLByyK-M

Lynnette

Quote from: Dashenka on November 26, 2018, 03:47:50 AM
I live in Switzerland now and the M2 Competition that I got is honestly a nicer car to drive around mountain roads than the 720... It's small, nimble and fast enough and it sounds pretty good. Got a friend with an M4 who has a friend with an M3 and we regularly go out with the 3 M's and they're both a little jealous at my M2C :)

If I had to pick between a Volvo and a Peugeot it will always be a Volvo... I'd honestly rather walk or starve to death than ever drive a Peugeot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgjmLByyK-M

Ehhhh I feel Peugeots are adequate. Not something I'd like to own myself, but I drove a 407 for a tiny bit, and tbh it was alright. Stereo was fair, horn didn't work (That's a feature*), The diesels from the mid-2000s have the same engine that went in a bunch of volvos as well.
That being said, it's probably the No. 1 "I'm not a car person" pick for a person in Europe. That or a Prius I guess.

That being said, old volvos are fun. Rear wheel drive, heavy as fuck, fitted with some shitty tires on an icy parking lot at 2am...
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Dashenka

The cars are dreary and dreadful but (most of) the people driving a Peugeot have no idea what they're doing.

I stick to Clarkson's principle of 'if you're not interested in something, you're not going to be good at it'.. and as you said, if you own a Peugeot, you care little for cars so you therefor have to be a bad driver :D

Volvo's are great cars. I had the new XC90 last year when I lived in London still.... cracking car..

Lynnette

I wouldn't know about the new volvos, last one I drove was a 2.4L V70. As far as driving goes, it was pretty good, late 90s/Early 2000s volvo interiors though... Yuck. I'd argue Peugeot had one up on them on that front. Volvo's new designs look gorgeous though, if not a bit gimmicky with crystal shifters etc.

Edit: Most punchable face ever.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

The Lovely Tsaritsa

Right now I drive Cadillac Escalade. It isn’t my favourite, but it’s perfect, when I need driving with my three little ones.

Mutt

A silver, 2015 Ford Focus.

It was my first car: one that I leased from the dealership. The lease was up and I decided to buy it since I fell in love with it!