M.A.D @ Elliquiy - A Manga/Anime Discussion Group

Started by Caeli, January 26, 2012, 04:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

The sooner the better, I think we are having too big a gap now as it is. Just because an episode watch date is put doesn't mean a participant must watch and comment on that date, people can take their time.

Sure

Gah, I'm late.

Anyway, the teaser was actually quite good. I actually rolled my eyes at the stereotypical anime opening... and then the rope pulling sound immediately shattered that. I've seen parodies of that sort of opening but that was... bold, I'd say. The art is beautiful and stylistic, though at times it was a bit distracting to the point where it subtracted for me.

The fanservice was kind of annoying, to be honest. I like attractive women as much as the next guy but it rarely served a purpose and even interrupted the story at times.

So I'm going to have a list of guesses at what the disorders are:
guesses

Zetsubo: Depression, isolation fears, some degree of suicidal
Chiri: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder
Kafuku: Controlling personality, possibly delusional
Balding/Ignored Boy: Neglect fears

Anyway, Friday is fine, especially if you can find a decent link for us to watch from again.

Tiaan

QuoteThe fanservice was kind of annoying, to be honest. I like attractive women as much as the next guy but it rarely served a purpose and even interrupted the story at times.

From watching Bakuman and from what I understand about Manga writing, they have kind of 'targets' for fanservice... like, depending on the publication it's going out in the authors are told to include, for example 'three panty shots per chapter' or something. In anime I'm sure it's similar but the first episode of a series always has more... so, hopefully there will be less in the next episodes! I'd prefer to just see the panty shots though rather than the big bald guy's head (unless you are watching an uncensored version or something - if there is one - in which case there wouldn't be a big bald guys head covering up their pants <.<)

Caeli

I think that since we've had sufficient time for discussion for the first episode, then I'm going to go ahead and make Episode 2 fair game now.

Series » Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei
Episode 2 Discussion » Start!
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Sure

Quote from: Tiaan on February 08, 2012, 05:17:13 AM
From watching Bakuman and from what I understand about Manga writing, they have kind of 'targets' for fanservice... like, depending on the publication it's going out in the authors are told to include, for example 'three panty shots per chapter' or something. In anime I'm sure it's similar but the first episode of a series always has more... so, hopefully there will be less in the next episodes! I'd prefer to just see the panty shots though rather than the big bald guy's head (unless you are watching an uncensored version or something - if there is one - in which case there wouldn't be a big bald guys head covering up their pants <.<)

I suppose. I'm more forgiving of, say, two female characters having a discussion in a hot tub than random hot tub fantasy that will never be brought up again. As well as the bit about the suicide scene being full of panty shots... but yeah, hopefully you're right there.

Edit: Probably should have made the examples gender neutral... but you get the point, I hope.

Haibane

Sure - were you watching a censored version with the photo of the bald guy in glasses covering every naughty bit (and even some non-naughty bits like the school clock face)?

I assumed that was on the original video and wasn't censoring only in some alternative version, thus in the version I saw there was no fanservice at all. There could have been with the fantasy hot-tub scene (which was just another peek into Fuura's head after all), but there wasn't.

I'm just a bt confused here - you're saying it put you off but my impression was there was nothing to be put off by and the bald-head animation was, in itself, a joke.

Sure

Quote from: Haibane on February 08, 2012, 06:21:34 AM
Sure - were you watching a censored version with the photo of the bald guy in glasses covering every naughty bit (and even some non-naughty bits like the school clock face)?

I assumed that was on the original video and wasn't censoring only in some alternative version, thus in the version I saw there was no fanservice at all. There could have been with the fantasy hot-tub scene (which was just another peek into Fuura's head after all), but there wasn't.

I'm just a bt confused here - you're saying it put you off but my impression was there was nothing to be put off by and the bald-head animation was, in itself, a joke.

No idea what you're talking about. Bald guy with glasses on a clock face? There was no censorship other than the 'conveniently' placed wash towels or hair or whatever.

Anyway, I don't mean it in the literal sense that women nude offends my delicate sensibilities (which I totally have... honest! >.>) but in the sense that it seems like they interrupted the story to throw some mildly titillating pictures at us. And whether it's censored or not such scenes qualify as fanservice to me.

Sure

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Zetsubo: Depression, isolation fears, some degree of suicidal
Chiri: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder
Kafuku: Controlling personality, probably delusional, enabler for others
Balding/Ignored Boy: Neglect fears
Komori: Hikikomori (yes that's a real diagnosis in Japan)
Tsunetsuki: Stalker, Obsessive Personality, Dependent Personality

Less fanservice, less randomness (except for the part where Tsunetsuki runs away) raises this in my estimation. Still, I don't like the way they made light of hikimori. I don't mind that the premise of the show is playing mental illness for laughs, but with that specifically it was treated less like a problem and just something to shock her out of. At least in my opinion. Perhaps I'm being over-sensitive?

By the way, was it just me or did the gay kiss seem really, really dispassionate?

I do feel the stalker bit was the stronger half. What do you guys think?

CmdrRenegade

I want to start watching this, but what's will this 'censored' and non 'censored' talk I'm seeing? Can someone tell me what material is actually being censored without spoilers.  If there actually is a difference and it's not part of the original programming, it's fine as long as no story of value is lost (I doubt that).
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Caeli

It doesn't matter which version you watch. I don't believe that the difference between the uncensored and censored portions (which is your average fanservice sort of scene) makes a difference to understanding the story. No footage is lost, it's only the way that body parts are covered that is different.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Haibane

The copy I'm watching has this 'joke' face added to various places, even in some circumstances where there is no fanservice such as over the school clock face.

I guess the censoring is the work of a broadcasting service? Perhaps some Japanese TV channel who aired it? I have honestly no idea but I actually quite like the bald guys head (so now, Sure, when anyone refers to "the bald guys head" you know what they're talking about!) since it adds obvious humour and therefore, there's no fanservice (you and I will need to disagree on that technical point, Sure ;) ).

As to episode two I found myself becoming a little bored by half way through. It was exactly the same format as episode one (even re-using some animations; never a good sign) and added some more students who were the embodiment of mental problems and didn't move us on much. The point was made in episode one, so this material I found repetitive, sadly.

Waiting for an actual plot development now.

DudelRok

Alright, I was not honestly looking forward to episode two... like, at all. The first episode I didn't find all that funny, and outside of some subtle things that required me to dismantle the anime itself (like take screen captures to read the intro) I... wasn't very amused.

(Spoilers!) So I go into Ep Two like this, "Well I GUESS I'll watch that this morning. Oh, look, he's trying to kill himself again. That's already old, and I'm bored of it. Oh look, here comes Miss Sparkle-Love-Happiness, complete with peach blossoms. And there she goes all "Don't Do It" and the guy almost dying and.... OH MY GOD! I swear if he says "What if I had died?" at the start of every episode, I'll kill him myself."

BUT THEN I got new splash screens! I've not read them yet, but the very fact it was a new "story" made me go "Oh, yay!" And I almost totally forgot about that horrible rehashing. I don't know what it was about knowing there was a new story-thing to read, or maybe if the actual episode was a lot better than the first but it made me honestly smile and laugh.

Ah, deep love... is there anything so strong? XD

The deal with Kiri Komori was a nice set up for later, and she was just too cute once she'd started all her blushing. I really did love the way they got her out. Miss Delusional-y Happy ends up scaring the poor thing right out of her room. Dolls, man.

Of course the "What if I had Died" thing made me eye roll a bit (twice in one episode... really?) but that not-so-subtle flirting in his twisted kind of way had an odd sweetness to it.

Not sure what to say about the stalker bit, other than "Ha!" That whole thing was good fun. The young girl's ability to "fall in and out of love" like that should prove to be a problem in the future... as well as the other girl thinking that "waking up in bed together" meant that the couple had to be married (regardless of circumstance).(/Spoilers)

Quote from: Haibane on February 09, 2012, 05:13:19 PMAs to episode two I Waiting for an actual plot development now.

I'd argue that you got a fair bit... but if you are looking for something a little more particular, that'll take until every single character has been properly introduced. I'd guess two more episodes.

And I end this little bit with one final note: The cake is a lie... because it's actually a shake.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Haibane

I watched it a second time. I think I'm falling in love with the school counsellor, Chie Arai. Her voice actress  Akiko Yajima, sounds so fantastically sexy! I adore her voice.

Caeli

If there are no objections, next watch-by date will be Monday; discussions for Ep. 3 can start on Tuesday.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

NightRabbit

Unfortunately, I will have to back out from this series as much as I love it.
The episodes I found, I can't find them anymore on YouTube. :(
Hopefully a series comes up after this one that streaming sites have/allow for where I live.
I thoroughly enjoyed the discussions so far though and what I've seen of the series.

DudelRok

Quote from: Caeli on February 11, 2012, 08:50:40 PM
If there are no objections, next watch-by date will be Monday; discussions for Ep. 3 can start on Tuesday.

Tuesday, Wednesday, yesterday... whatever.

I AM THE RETURN!

Mister Grimm

Most of the censoring in Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei is intentional on behalf of the guy who created it, but some was removed on the DVD version. Still a brilliant black humor series, despite that fact, and one of my favorites. Besides, it's what... middle schoolers? Or underage students that are being censored, right?

I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Mister Grimm

Ah- Er. Disregard that last part. I had failed to see the bottom of the very first post. > A>;
Sorry about that.

I'm pretty sure Amazon has the 1.99$ deal per episode as well, but maybe not considering the age of the series.

Also, if it hasn't been noted before, Hulu is only available for North American and Japan, sadly. >:
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

NightRabbit

@Ryder: It's perfectly fine. ^_^ There is in fact a way I can watch with you guys.

Caeli

Blargh. Sorry I haven't posted my episode reviews yet; I've been tired with work + trying to strike a deal with my muse.

Episode 3 Discussion » Start!

Can still discuss episode 2, but fair warning that there may be spoilers if you haven't watched Ep. 3 yet.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

DudelRok

Haven't watched the EP yet... but I'm doing what I usually do, which is wait for other comments to give me an idea of what I'm wondering into. (It makes it more fun for me, somehow.)

...well that was gonna be my post but then I figured "Eh, I'll watch it!"

Weird. O.o

I... I don't know. It was a bit more random than usual, and offered up some interesting new characters. (I think we're about done with the introductions, too.)

Does every girl in that school fall for "Mr. Despair?" XD

LAWSUIT!

I AM THE RETURN!

Haibane

I enjoyed this episode much more than the second mostly because it was completely whacky and deranged and the humour was far tighter and sharper. Its all still more of the same but I found myself laughing a lot more. I also love those random nonsensical stories they put in the opening credits, and the fantastic funny random signs on the chalkboard and around the classroom and school.

Its a nice way to work the theme of various forms of madness so thoroughly into the show itself, making the entire thing mad.

DudelRok

We should be getting into the meat of the show soon. I'm pretty sure that 3 Episodes of introductions is more than enough. O.o

I AM THE RETURN!

Caeli

Episode 4 Discussion » Start!

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

DudelRok

O.o

I'd blame myself for not watching EP4 yet... but everyone done and vanished.

I AM THE RETURN!