X-MEN -- temporarily CLOSED

Started by Photo, March 15, 2013, 02:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apygoos

where inthe world was a character sheet posted?

Photo

@Apygoos. It's in the other thread which I disguised really well on accident! haha

here it is again. The Character sheet!!

@Kckolbe. If I were you, I would go with the first one. We can make you useful in battle, I bet. Also, we are the original x-men, replacing iceman, beast, cyclops, marvel girl, and arch angel.... I think arch angel was in the original five. ANYWAY! yeah. There is no school yet. We're advancing the timeline forward to 2013 instead of 1945. Erik Lensherr was likely not in a concentration camp, but we don't have to worry about that.

@Thorne. I like. I think all of that makes sense to me. It looks like you left one NPC connection open to make with another PC, am I right about that? Also, explain the empathy thing to me more. I don't get it.

@Aribeth
Wonderful! I think the only issue is that she's going to Xavier's school, which she wouldn't be. It's not a school yet. He would have found her psychically and recruited her. I can work on a better origin story if you want.

@Everyone else
feel free to post your character sheets here, PM them to me, or put them in the character thread. I'll let everyone know right now. I'm not gonna let everyone in. I don't want a huge game. And I'm going to pick the best writers/characters I see. No hard feelings all around. I wanted to say that now, so that when it comes up later, no one gets angry.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

kckolbe

So what do you like about the first one over the second?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

AribethAmkiir

Okay, so the school doesn't exist yet.  Sorry, I knew we were replacing the original five, but I still thought the school would exist with our characters becoming the first students.  More than happy to hear the alternate origin story you were thinking of.

Thorne

Hm. Explain the empathy thing ... I'll try.
It's a bit like wandering around with an open wi-fi receptor and no firewall - she picks up on the emotions (but not /thoughts/) of those around her, constantly. She's learned to maintain mental barriers - a firewall, to continue the metaphor - but it doesn't keep everything out. And she can't turn it off - nothing she's tried so far seems to work.

As for NPC connections - I'm not sure what (or who) you're referring to, exactly. ^^;
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

chaoslord29

I'm liking my original ideas less and less haha, and thinking that I'd like to play something a little more exotic, a little more original (I've used both those ideas in the past if not quite in the same context). I keep getting this image of a kind of ghoulish figure but I'm not quite certain what sort of mutant powers he would have beyond some cosmetic differences, namely, ivoy flesh, pearlescent eyes with amber irises and a kind of mane of quills instead of hair.

I'm thinking he'd be called Wight, but beyond that I'm just not sure . . . there's a story behind his appearance and a tragic side effect or drawback to his powers but I think I might need some help fleshing both out.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

kckolbe

Thorne, her bio mentions two younger mutants dependent on her, sounds like both are female. 

Also, for my char, here is what I have for his mutant power

Can phase out, becoming invisible and able to pass through objects.  Phasing out takes a couple of minutes.  During this time he can travel normally, though unimpeded by terrain.  He can, during this time, be summoned by those (the method of his summoning to be determined)

His summoning might require a power word, an item, or both.  I'd like for other player characters, or at least one PC as well as Xavier, to be able to summon him if needed.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Thorne

Yah, but is that what Photo was referring to? Or something else in Shard's background?
And do I need to flesh either of them out a little more, or ...?

Kckolbe: Hm. A power word, an item... like, say, something of his?
The D&D gamer in me says 'True name! True Name!' but that could get inconvenient.. ^.~

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

AribethAmkiir

@ KC: Power words don't seem to fit, in my opinion, for a mutant.  A suggestion instead of a power word would be a "psychic" link or mental attachment that allows certain individuals to summon him.  Also, I realize that you're not wanting him to be very good at combat, but a couple minutes for him to "phase out" is extremely long.  Even 60 seconds is an extremely long time.  I would suggest shortening it to a few seconds.  Anything over two seconds is still a long time in the midst of combat yet it makes it more useful and appropriate for a member of a para-military group that was formed to combat and safeguard mutants.

@chaos: I'd be happy to help if you're wanting it.

kckolbe

I can shorten his phasing process.  I just wanted it to be inconvenient, something that he couldn't just up and do in combat, since that would make him as strong as Kitty. 

Intro Thread

chaoslord29

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on March 18, 2013, 08:54:23 PM

@chaos: I'd be happy to help if you're wanting it.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me. I was kind of working on the idea that Wight would be approaching something closet to physical invulnerability, but that also makes him nigh insensitive to any other sort of feeling. The last thing I want though is for him to wind up a Wolverine clone though . . .
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: kckolbe on March 18, 2013, 09:21:44 PM
I can shorten his phasing process.  I just wanted it to be inconvenient, something that he couldn't just up and do in combat, since that would make him as strong as Kitty.

Well, considering Kitty isn't remotely the most powerful X-Man, is that really an issue?  She's kind of at the bottom of the power scale, if I recall correctly. 

Cold Heritage

Sure, she couldn't lift gold bullion with "magnetism" powers or casually throw down with the Silver Surfer, but her phasing made her basically invincible and being able to take people with her made her able to kill pretty much anyone short of the Juggernaut when she'd phase them back into solid matter (and it's not that she couldn't phase Juggernaut, he just would be dead from being phased back inside concrete). Then there's the weird stuff that Claremont got up to her because she was his favorite. He gave her ninja powers that let her kick Wolverine's ass when she was like, 14. X-Men powers be crazy, y'all.

But the point really to take to heart is that taking a few minutes to phase is impractical. Like, to the point where you may as well not have powers, or you may as well not have that particular limitation because it's so impractical that you'll circumvent it by pre-phasing before going into a situation where you'd want to be phased.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: Cold Heritage on March 19, 2013, 12:04:43 AM
Sure, she couldn't lift gold bullion with "magnetism" powers or casually throw down with the Silver Surfer, but her phasing made her basically invincible and being able to take people with her made her able to kill pretty much anyone short of the Juggernaut when she'd phase them back into solid matter (and it's not that she couldn't phase Juggernaut, he just would be dead from being phased back inside concrete). Then there's the weird stuff that Claremont got up to her because she was his favorite. He gave her ninja powers that let her kick Wolverine's ass when she was like, 14. X-Men powers be crazy, y'all.

But the point really to take to heart is that taking a few minutes to phase is impractical. Like, to the point where you may as well not have powers, or you may as well not have that particular limitation because it's so impractical that you'll circumvent it by pre-phasing before going into a situation where you'd want to be phased.

Actually, Kitty's powers only worked for as long as she could hold her breath, initially.  There's a number of scenes in both cartoons and comics where she runs smack into a wall due to becoming tangible at a bad time.  Sure, Claremont gave her ninja training, but few writers after Claremont explored those abilities.  (And that's not really a power).  As far as killing anyone she wanted, that's very true.  I just don't think of being able to kill people as a measurement of power for a hero.

Cold Heritage

Yeah, writers after Claremont made her into an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and gave her super-spy training. I don't know what Whedon got up to with her, but I suspect he Buffy-ized her some. I'd put cash money on it.

. . . I can't think of an original power. Infinite despair.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

kckolbe

A lot of the X-Men had their powers increased over the years.  Regarding Wolverine, it wasn't just his invulnerability.  He also could cut through anything, and was the most skilled fighter of them all.  He was Marvel's Gary Stu.

For Wight, a character that has certain resistances makes sense (except a weakness to fire), and maybe the ability to drain life.  I just looked to wikipedia for ideas.

As for my character, when I said I didn't want him to be as strong as Kitty, what I meant was that I didn't want him to have Kitty's full power because he could also do something else (be summoned).  Five seconds seems about right, I suppose.  Long enough to where he has to get back somewhere safe first, but could still be able to phase in, knock someone down and grab something, then run into a room and hide under a table while phasing back out. 

A psychic link is a possibility.  Maybe Thorne could learn to summon him with her powers (though he would have to be close, so probably not something that would help in normal situations).  The reason I was thinking of an item or specific phrase is that I wanted to leave it possible for an enemy to be able to summon him.

Intro Thread

AribethAmkiir

Summoning works great for non-mutants, in my opinion, but why would evolution or someone's genetic structure give them the ability to be summoned by random individuals?  Also, 5 seconds is still a long time, though more useful.  If you think about an end of a basketball game, 5 seconds can be an eternity.  Heck, they have 10 seconds to get past half court and that can be a long time.  Frame it into track and field, and your non-Olympic sprinters run 50 meters in roughly 5 seconds. 

Also, Thorne isn't psychic she's an empath.  She could definitely affect your character's emotions to the point of creating a special attachment but actually implanting the suggestion or anything telepathic would be outside her scope, Thorne correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I touched on it slightly before but you should remember that the X-Men are a paramilitary group created for the soul reason to fight threats against human and mutantkind.  That's why they're some of the most powerful mutants around and why they have things like the Danger Room.  Add that Xavier is a humanitarian and I don't really see him recruiting someone who is going to send someone with a huge disadvantage in combat to fight the likes of Magneto, Sentinels, or whatever else Photo has in store.

Thorne

[quote author=AribethAmkiir link=topic=168427.msg7910399#msg7910399 date=1363698763
Also, Thorne isn't psychic she's an empath.  She could definitely affect your character's emotions to the point of creating a special attachment but actually implanting the suggestion or anything telepathic would be outside her scope, Thorne correct me if I'm wrong.[/quote]

You're half right. Shard can't use her empathy to directly influence someone's emotional state though - that would require her to be able to project, which (at least at the moment) she can't do. She can talk to people, and listen, but that's not a mutant power. ^^;
Shard could summon him with a cellphone. Didn't one of the series have a connect to Tony Stark, and thus have access to an assortment of whacky tech (Nightcrawler's hologram watch?) that wasn't otherwise explained? I seem to remember a certain amount of WTF from the original series on just where all that stuff came from. A later one offered an explaination. >.>

As for original powers... um. Anyone ever see a mutant with a healing ability that worked on someone else? I could see that turned around in a couple of ways, for a mutant still learning control over his abilities.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

kckolbe

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on March 19, 2013, 08:12:43 AM
Summoning works great for non-mutants, in my opinion, but why would evolution or someone's genetic structure give them the ability to be summoned by random individuals?  Also, 5 seconds is still a long time, though more useful.  If you think about an end of a basketball game, 5 seconds can be an eternity.  Heck, they have 10 seconds to get past half court and that can be a long time.  Frame it into track and field, and your non-Olympic sprinters run 50 meters in roughly 5 seconds. 

Also, I touched on it slightly before but you should remember that the X-Men are a paramilitary group created for the soul reason to fight threats against human and mutantkind.  That's why they're some of the most powerful mutants around and why they have things like the Danger Room.  Add that Xavier is a humanitarian and I don't really see him recruiting someone who is going to send someone with a huge disadvantage in combat to fight the likes of Magneto, Sentinels, or whatever else Photo has in store.

Admittedly, this character does sound more magical than mutant.  I knew he wasn't very combat effective, but figured the utility of a scout would make up for it.  I wasn't set on his powers, and had listed one other option (energy drain), but Photo seemed to like the phasing one better, so maybe he'll have some ideas on how to make it useful. 

Intro Thread

Photo

oh man, lots to say.... so much that doesn't really need to be said though.

@kckolbe
make him in the image of a messenger god, rather than a delivery boy.

Give him superspeed, or something. I would say wings, but we don't want too many characters with wings flying around. Maybe just add one thing. The summoning isn't that difficult to understand. I think it would be neat if he had a latent psychic power that hasn't completely manifested yet. So, we all know he can phase out with a five second warm up. Then, anyone can summon him, I would suggest just by will. There shouldn't need to be a pass-phrase or an object. If some one wants him, they have him kind of thing. He can't help but phase to them.

Have that flawed power and add one that's functional like superspeed, or psychic flight. Cause if he can phase shift, he should be able to fly. :)

@Thorne

Yah, I was talking about those two youngsters that your character is guarding. They seem to be an opening for other people to fit into your character's background

@Aribeth
As far as I know, Xavier didn't always have a school running, first he aquired the x-men task force, and used storm, cyclops, and beast to train everyone in the danger room. I may be mistaken and brainwashed by the movies at this point. I just feel like we should start as adults and train the kids.

@Cold Heritage
Original powers are so hard to think of. I've been trying to build one character for the LARGE group x-men game that E has, and it's taken me a whole week. I was almost finished twice, but my session kept timing out.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Thorne

Ah.
I've actually never really had good luck with linking character backgrounds, but if someone wanted to pick up one or the other, I can share the basics..?

I never really figured out what Shard's sister can do, so Rachel's an open book, from that perspective. I'm also not wholly certain what she looks like, other than 'resembles Shard'.

Alice... sees the future and gives prophecies in riddle-form, and is frequently referred to as the Oracle. If there's a canon character that can do that, I don't follow that closely, so am not aware of them. Her prophecies don't make sense until they happen, and she doesn't generally remember giving them. More generally, she 'sees truth in the souls of men' - which you could interpret all kinds of ways. Alice is fragile, blonde and ethereally pretty.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

kckolbe

Alice seems like she'd be a good NPC, both for the prohecies and so Photo plays a fragile, ethereally pretty blond.

I kinda like the latent psychic idea.  Maybe when he is phased he can "feel" if he is wanted/needed somewhere.  Thorne could help develop this through her empathic abilities if she is near him as he is summoned.  I could give him increased speed/agility, not near the level of Flash or anything like that, but along the lines of Beast.  And while he might not be able to fly, he might be able to run through the air, so he can at least go wherever needed.  That should put him at about a 3 power level, where he was at a 2.

Intro Thread

AribethAmkiir

I think I should've tossed this up earlier.  It might be helpful.  http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Superpower_Wiki

@Thorne:  Not sure if Elixir is what you're talking about.  Also, in current stories, Angel's blood has healing properties.  I've played a few characters that give their own "life energy" to someone else, in essence adopting another person's wounds and giving their own health to the person.  Talk about a flawed power.

Also you have Destiny who is a precog and a companion to Mystique. 

@Photo: Storm wasn't introduced as an X-Man until "Giant X-Men" v. 1 in 1975.  Warren, Scott, Bobby, and Hank were all students of Xavier's before becoming X-Men.  Jean was the last to join and while they weren't together for an extremely long time they had enough time to train and develop some mastery over their abilities before going up against Magneto.   Of course, this is an Alternate Universe and your game.  If you want everyone to enter as an adult then that's what we'll do.  I just didn't get that impression, sorry.

Along those lines, what Super-powered Teams are around where our characters might gain enough experience to train "kids"?  Also, is Xavier not collecting mutants to train with the plan of creating the X-Men?

Photo

sorry. I must be watching too much of the cartoon. The original x-men in Stan Lee's books were Iceman, fucking....Cyclops, Marvel girl, Arch Angel, and Beast. Proffesor X proceeds to train them and teach them to use their abilities, but back then, I don't think it was ever like a school. I feel like it was just one man, giving very unique people very very constructive forms of therapy.

I want to stress that it's not really my game. I just want to kill some sentinels alongside an entire team of original x-men. After that, it's all up to everyone else. We can even make it a training program in the danger room like the beginning of the film, "X-3: The last stand"

Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Photo

Or not...

Is anyone still interested in this. I'm accepting all applications.

Meanwhile. I'm creating my character in the other thread, still located here: CHARACTERS
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA