Pop Up?

Started by DemonessOfDeathValley, May 21, 2014, 08:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DemonessOfDeathValley

There's this funky pop up that comes up on my computer every time that I click another heading on E. It has the Mozilla Firefox name at the top, but I'm guessing the addblocker that I'm using prevents it from showing up so it's just a blank page. Does anybody else have this issue? And does anybody know what it is?

~Approximate response time - 1-7 days plus ~ Muse cooperative~

Vekseid

have you checked your machine for malware?

DemonessOfDeathValley

No. I usually count on my Norton to alert me. How do I check for malware?

Oreo

If you can download MalwareBytes (use the free version), and run a scan it should pick out the problems.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

DemonessOfDeathValley

Thank you, Oreo. I will try that tomorrow. *Fingers crossed*

AndyZ

Try this:

Click the Firefox thing in the upper left, then Add Ons.

In the Extensions area, check for any Extensions you don't recognize and Disable/Remove them.

Tends to help me whenever I start getting those popups.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

DemonessOfDeathValley

This actually seems to have cleared up.

During the time I was receiving the pop up, I had another browser open with a movie paused in it. In order to try and watch the movie, I had tried to download an update for the browser's movie streaming capability. And it somehow caused that popup. Once I disabled that update, the pop up stopped.

I am glad that I went ahead and did the malwarebytes thing because it seems to have really helped my computer's performance.

Oreo

The Maleware thing is really handy for that. I run mine several times a year.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

DemonessOfDeathValley

It certainly helped.

DemonessOfDeathValley

This damned pop up is back. It's not just on E or FireFox anymore. It's now on Chrome. I've done the Malwarebytes thing. I did scan through Norton and I did the extensions thing. I also went through the control panel and uninstalled anything that seemed like it wasn't needed or that was downloaded along with something else. It's annoying and distracting. Plus I noticed that didn't happen until the other day when I tried to watch a movie and download something to watch the movie with.

Now what do I do? :-[

AndyZ

Did you try the extensions thing?  Also deleting temporary internet files can be useful
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

DemonessOfDeathValley

Yes, I tried the extensions thing. I actually disabled one thing that I thought might be causing it.

How do I delete temp files?

DemonessOfDeathValley

I deleted the temp files and browsing history.

I still get the stupid pop up. I don't get it. It didn't start happening until I tried to download whatever it was that I supposedly needed to watch the movie that day. When I downloaded whatever it was, it didn't even let me watch the movie and now I have that stupid popup and several others I might add. I don't know what to do. I have adblocker on both FireFox and Chrome, I shouldn't be getting ANY pop ups.

AndyZ

It must have installed a program.  Run the install again and watch carefully for what else it says it wants to install on your computer, then delete whatever else it put on. (Cancel the install once it asks to put something else on.  It's just a quick way to find out what the program was that it added.)

DemonessOfDeathValley

AndyZ, that is exactly what it did. It had installed this app thing that automatically put the advertisement at the top of pages and caused that pop up. I finally found it. And so far, it seems to be disabled.

A lesson well learned, if something tells me to 'update' something, I will be more cautious about the add ons that are 'recommended'.

Thank you to everyone that posted and helped me out with this. Fingers crossed, this is resolved.  ;D

AndyZ

Glad to help ^_^ Sorry it took so long to figure out.

DemonessOfDeathValley

I'm just glad I got it sorted out. That was really irritating me and distracting.