Player Death?

Started by Anouk Daae, April 20, 2019, 03:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anouk Daae

I don't entirely know how to start this.

I guess I have this RP server on Discord and there's a member who came from Elliquiy.
He had been overseas deployed for most of the year. Then in early January, his last message to any of us was that he was finally coming home.
He said he would be afk for two weeks.

It's been almost 4 months. Nobody has seen him online. He hasn't responded to any of our messages.
I know his username on here. I know his nickname. And I know his real first name.
I know he was either Navy or Air Force.
I know he was stationed in Kuwait, and that his job specifically was very far from action and depended on constant internet connection.
The fact that he's been missing for so long, we're all really worried.

I'm wondering if there's any way to track that he's been online here or if anyone knows him?
I don't need him to come back to the server. I 1000% respect it if he needs time away.
I just need to know he's alive still, and I have no way to find out.

If there's anyone who can help. Please, please do so.

AmberStarfire

I hope your friend's alright.

Someone else could answer that better than me (because I don't know), but I do know someone who fit some of that description who's now in the banned list. However, it was a lot longer than 4 months ago that he was banned.

Anouk Daae

Quote from: AmberStarfire on April 20, 2019, 04:01:40 PM
I hope your friend's alright.

Someone else could answer that better than me (because I don't know), but I do know someone who fit some of that description who's now in the banned list. However, it was a lot longer than 4 months ago that he was banned.

His account isn't banned on here, so I don't think that's him. Plus, he's a complete sweetheart. I can't imagine him being capable of getting on anyone's bad side. But thank you, just the same.

AmberStarfire

Okay. I hope he's alright, Anouk Daae.

Kye

If you look at his profile it will show the last time he was online.  Unfortunately, there's really nothing else we can tell you.   :-\

Oniya

There are sites out there that track people killed in action - iCasulaties is one.  I don't know if your information will be enough to do a search, but it looks like you know more details about him than we do.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

If he’s Navy, he might have been reassigned and depending on things that can kill your feee time. I had an instructor who wound up filling a bench tech shortfall for 3 years.  He’d hot seat transfer from the outbound carrier to the inbound as he was literally one of two qualified techs left.

They held him hostage with his fleet reserve standing.. wound up making chief and was literally the only ATC I knew in the navy who still worked on gear.. Chief Petty Officers are usually shop or division manager types. Depending on your guys rating he could be somewhere under communication restrictions

Anouk Daae

That casualties site didn't work, but I'll look into others.

Thank you anyway for those of you who got back to me.
I'm really hoping it's just that he was reassigned and is - like Callie said - under some sort of restriction.

I'm worried sick over him.

Would it be alright if I post his username in here in case someone knows him IRL and can tell me more?

Zaphod

This is the correct link. It has names of service personnel killed in action in the middle east and Afghanistan. 

http://icasualties.org

Please note that those killed in covert ops in other theaters will not appear in any online lists. Good luck with your search.

CaptainErotica

As someone who served on two aircraft carriers during both the Gulf War and Iraqi Freedom I can second what Callie has said. It is not uncommon for ships underway to limit communications off the ship. We weren't even allowed to tell our families where we were at or what port we were heading to until a day or two before we arrived.

You did say he was Air Force and I'm not sure what kind of restrictions they have, but I imagine they are similar.

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Zaphod on April 21, 2019, 07:19:18 AM
This is the correct link. It has names of service personnel killed in action in the middle east and Afghanistan. 

http://icasualties.org

Please note that those killed in covert ops in other theaters will not appear in any online lists. Good luck with your search.

Thank you. It's a small comfort that I don't see his name listed there. Though there are two deaths in Kuwait, and it's possible he gave an alias to me.
The military branches are wrong, so I'm going to hope that his communications are just limited.

Thank you again, to everyone for your help.

Blitzy

As a side note, living with someone who’s faced combat and the stress of deployments...

Even after they return to home base, they aren’t always ‘ok’. And sometimes that takes time to re-adjust back to normal ‘society’. Because it’s one thing to be over there and handling it - another when faced with friends and family who want you to act a different way.

Time may simply be what he needs to re-adjust for any number of reasons.

I just want to say, to those veterans who’ve responded - Thank you for your service. <3
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Thesunmaid

Well...my brother is in the navy and sometimes when he gets home from deployment he wants nothing more than to just be alone sometimes. He lives on the ship and well...you are in close quarters with your shipmates. They are not exactly luxury cruises with wide hallways and such. So if he is home it could be that he just wants to spend some time with them and if he is on assignment he might not be able to log into Elliquiy.

I am sure he is fine and he has his reasons for not being on here.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

Anouk Daae

Just wanted to post a super quick update!

The guy in question came back today to the RP. He is not only alive, but he's doing really well.

I think someone at some point mentioned here that sometimes after deployment people just kinda need time away to readjust. Turns out, they were right. Having no experience in this myself, I allocated two months for time away, so when he needed 6 months - I started to panic.

But no, he's "fantastic" and super excited to get back into writing. We all couldn't be more happy to have him back and safe. Great times ahead.

Thank you again to everyone who commented on this thread. You guys were so helpful. I'm so profoundly thankful.

If a mod wants to lock this thread, please do so (idk how to). I no longer need help finding him, because he's home and yeah...YAY!!!

Ariel

Glad to hear he’s okay! I can lock it if you want but it’s not mandatory :-)
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Ariel on May 17, 2019, 06:52:08 PM
Glad to hear he’s okay! I can lock it if you want but it’s not mandatory :-)

If it's not mandatory, no worries. I just wasn't sure.

Thesunmaid

Glad to hear he is ok.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few