What was the last non-fiction book you read?

Started by Nitewalk, November 30, 2007, 11:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitewalk

For me, it's The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. It's basically about the impact of random events, the dismal failure of people to predict such things, and the meaning we assign to random events. Loved it!

Caustic

Truman Capote, In Cold Blood.  High recommendations.

But if you're looking for something that, in my opinion, should be REQUIRED Elliquiy reading, it's Richard Zacks' An Underground Education.  I have never read a well-researched and documented book that was so unbelievably amusing.  He discusses the sex lives of major historical figures, documents lesser-known works of great authors, and rips open the gut of dozens of shady corporate and government operations.

Fun stuff.
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Nitewalk

Quote from: Caustic on December 01, 2007, 12:25:54 AM
Truman Capote, In Cold Blood.  High recommendations.

But if you're looking for something that, in my opinion, should be REQUIRED Elliquiy reading, it's Richard Zacks' An Underground Education.  I have never read a well-researched and documented book that was so unbelievably amusing.  He discusses the sex lives of major historical figures, documents lesser-known works of great authors, and rips open the gut of dozens of shady corporate and government operations.

Fun stuff.

Rips open the gut of dozens of shady corporate and government operations? That sounds like my mind of book :)

Sherona

I read quite a few non-fiction books. I find historical documentaries incredibly facinating as well as own subscribtions to various news journals and other sources of information. (Nature News..wonderful subscribtion..can be accessed either via a monthly magazine or logging into there online website)

I am currently reading Tantric Sex, and Sacred Orgasm, as well as with the bouncing of questions on Vekseid's post in U. I am delving into some of my more obscure books. One I am looking at right now is "High Hitler" which has actually been documented on Television on the History channel. It talks about the various amounts of drugs and his physician's role in his decisions toward the end of the war. Pretty interesting stuff.

Nitewalk

Quote from: Sherona on December 01, 2007, 11:37:37 AM
I read quite a few non-fiction books. I find historical documentaries incredibly facinating as well as own subscribtions to various news journals and other sources of information. (Nature News..wonderful subscribtion..can be accessed either via a monthly magazine or logging into there online website)

I am currently reading Tantric Sex, and Sacred Orgasm, as well as with the bouncing of questions on Vekseid's post in U. I am delving into some of my more obscure books. One I am looking at right now is "High Hitler" which has actually been documented on Television on the History channel. It talks about the various amounts of drugs and his physician's role in his decisions toward the end of the war. Pretty interesting stuff.

Ooh I love historical documentaries too. I love the History Channel. They had a very interesting one on torture devices, on Modern Marvels.

Sherona

*claps* Yes! I saw that one too..*cough* Hubby even watched with me but his facination was thoroughly Un educational :P

I loved their series on the History of Sex, which gave the reasons we tend to find certain aspects of the human body appealing, and even how reproduction and the way we have sex evolved with us when we evolved into upright human people :D was very interesting

Nitewalk

Quote from: Sherona on December 01, 2007, 02:20:05 PM
*claps* Yes! I saw that one too..*cough* Hubby even watched with me but his facination was thoroughly Un educational :P

I loved their series on the History of Sex, which gave the reasons we tend to find certain aspects of the human body appealing, and even how reproduction and the way we have sex evolved with us when we evolved into upright human people :D was very interesting

Yeah I saw one of those episodes, very interesting! Too bad I didn't catch more of them. I always seem to catch the History Channel when they're showing, like, "the history of bridges.. on Modern Marvels." The same way that whenever I tune into Discovery it's always a Dirty Jobs marathon or something. And now I'm getting off-topic on my own thread :P

Unnatural Selection

As I mentioned in What Are you Reading, it's Chris Hitchen's "God is Not Great; How Religion Poisons Everything."  See that post for my opinion.

I usually alternate between fiction and non, and as I just finished my latest novel, I'll be starting on Michael Shermer's "Why Darwin Matters."
Here you go

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.
--Carl Sagan

Nitewalk

Quote from: Unnatural Selection on December 01, 2007, 02:28:59 PM
As I mentioned in What Are you Reading, it's Chris Hitchen's "God is Not Great; How Religion Poisons Everything."  See that post for my opinion.

I usually alternate between fiction and non, and as I just finished my latest novel, I'll be starting on Michael Shermer's "Why Darwin Matters."

Ohh I've been meaning to read God Is Not Great. It's on my list... then again my list keeps growing. I usually stick with non-fiction books.

Nitewalk

Quote from: Sherona on December 01, 2007, 02:20:05 PM

You might like The History of Sex by Reay Tannahil, a great book that covers sex pretty much from the moment humans started walking on two feet up until the present day.

Sherona

It's already in que from my book supplier :)

Sabby

I'm almost purely a fiction reader... but I did read The Andromeda Strain :) loved it

Plus, a fairly cruel account of a nearby orphanage. The writer had a friend with him during it (pretty horrible stuff I won't go into here) and I only recently found out that girl is my granmother in law... but yeah, bot very interesting reads.

Oh, the book is Nightmare at Neerkole (sp?) its pretty hard to find now.

RubySlippers

Non-Fiction it would be Maxed Out a book on the credit industry and how it is destroying America including our government overlooking the regular deficit spending and national debt as not being real problems. Very informative.

Nitewalk

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 02, 2007, 07:48:14 AM
Non-Fiction it would be Maxed Out a book on the credit industry and how it is destroying America including our government overlooking the regular deficit spending and national debt as not being real problems. Very informative.

Yeah I agree that was an awesome book, almost scary and very informative.