Mark Zuckerberg Testimony

Started by HockeyGod, April 10, 2018, 08:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockeyGod

I had a particularly long drive today - 4.5 hours - and turned on npr. They happened to air all of Mark Zuckerber's testimony before 2 Senate Committees. It was fascinating. What I took away:

1. MZ was fairly eloquent in his speaking and was respectful, but got repetitive to the point of almost sounding condescending. Every response started with "Senator."

2. I was flabbergasted at how little Senators were prepare to question and/or understood how Facebook operated. At some point, MZ should have just started each round of questioning with "Senator, it already does that." Many didn't get the concept of what Facebook actually did...that Facebook didn't technically sell anyone's data, but instead sold access through apps. There were actually issues related to selling targeting information that turned out to be discriminatory as well as the targeted manipulation ads by foreign agents.

3. 40 some Senators needed to ask questions? MZ experienced 5 hours of questions most of which were repetitive. Senators left the room back to their offices - free to work, eat, meet with people or take naps. Clearly some of them did that because they didn't see what a train wreck some of the questioning was. It was giving them an opportunity to have their 5 minute sound bites to send back to their constituents.

4. I'm conflicted about the whole privacy/informed consent. Yes, we are given the policies and yes we should read them, but if we read every single user agreement we wouldn't have time to actually use services. On the other hand, if people clearly understood how to use privacy settings some of the issue would not have been so egregious. There's fault all around and the systems need to be better.

I'm typically quite a pro-government and regulation advocate, but with these people in charge I'm frightened.

I am concerned that Facebook did some things that were sketchy, didn't inform people what happened, and are trying to fix their systems on their own accord. One Senator put it very pointedly (paraphrasing) - you sit here today and speak as though you operate a non-profit, but you are in fact a zillion dollar for profit.

A short montage of examples: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/zuckerberg-explains-facebook-to-a-room-full-of-confused-senators_us_5acd3233e4b09212968cb23f

TheScarletBlade

It also seems like you don't care that an "unbiased" social media platformed deemed any non-liberal though as dangerous and removed it?
“I fight for the men I have held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breath. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find our country full of strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing, I fight: because I must.”

TheScarletBlade aka TSB

Oniya

I dunno - I saw plenty of 'non-liberal thought' on there over the past few years.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ket

Quote from: TheScarletBlade on April 10, 2018, 10:06:30 PM
It also seems like you don't care that an "unbiased" social media platformed deemed any non-liberal though as dangerous and removed it?

I see plenty of non-liberal though every single day on Facebook. They do not just delete stuff they don't like. They delete things that go against their policies. I've known a few liberals and progressives who have been silenced on Facebook. Please don't make generalized and broad-sweeping statements without clear evidence to back them up.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Eye of Horus

I was rather disappointed with the hearing - they wasted a golden opportunity to force Facebook to crack down on fake / bot accounts and to force some kind of truly independent fact-checking that would police the worst of the “dark ads” used to manipulate public opinion.

The EU may also try and haul Zuckerberg in for questioning, so fingers crossed for that. Though he has already refused to turn up to the UK inquiry (into Cambridge Analytica using Facebook to spread propaganda in the run up to the Brexit referendum).