[NCES] Exalted: Yu-Shan High

Started by kongming, May 09, 2013, 02:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kongming

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

kongming

Okay, a few people have asked, so I shall clarify:

This game was doomed on first principles. I mean, Exalted isn't even balanced with itself. Even if you limit it to one power level ("all starting characters") and all within the one book (as boring as that gets), they're all over the place and no two characters can really play the same game. Also known as "Hey look, White Wolf made another game!"

That's before you get some people arguing that Solars get the best of everything and everyone else should have cheaper stuff, then others arguing that if you do that, Solars don't have anything special any more because their entire shtick is "generically being the best at everything and being the main characters of all the books*".

Were it just that, I'd take two weeks and write my own Exalted during the less busy hours at work, and it'd be pretty good**. But the fact of the matter is, this game was never going to work: everyone immediately went for high rank characters, the ones who make things happen. This would leave me with the following duties:
1. Playing lesser NPCs for them to abuse
2. Making monster of the week appear

1 is no good, because I'm not submissive. 2 is not interesting.

So "a successful Exalted game" can't happen because WW were useless at making games, and going bankrupt was the high point of the company. This particular game couldn't happen the moment it turned out everyone wants to be on top.

*Seriously, check out the special Lunar background, where you spend points to be extra dedicated to sucking a Solar's dick.
**Spite-driven projects tend to be my best.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Yano2mch

I'd probably have played a lowest rung character, but considering that exalted are 'epic' to start with means there's a big power gap. I didn't make anything since I think I have too many things I'm getting involved in and learning a new system which may not make use of the main (battle) half of the system anyways seems iffy.

Perhaps just a different system, HeroSystem might be a better choice. In HeroSystem you could separate your points towards skills, powers, and attributes; But when there's fewer points you end up going more and more towards skills rather than powers/abilities. (Paying 3-5 points is cheaper for a skill compared to 10-50 for a special ability); But if it's all RP'd (Not needing the framework) then using a system at all might just be ignored entirely and just use good writing style to fill the details in. Maybe I'm too hopeful on this...

ShadowFox89

I think you're making a big assumption jump with #1.... I prefer playing sub characters, myself, and could npc my own club members. If we don't try and bring mechanics into play too much, I think it'd work.

But if you're dead set on dropping this.. then I'm sorry for my part in the disaster :/
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Thorn14

I wasn't planning on a high rank character.