3rd ed Exalted, provisional interest check

Started by HairyHeretic, September 09, 2015, 05:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 25, 2015, 07:28:25 AM
Living campaign would be nice,but how do you coordinate changes in the setting achieved by PCs of another group? It could work if the GMs were exchanging information on those, too, in which case, starting all the games in the same subforum might be almost required.

Off the top of my head, unless changes are on a big scale .. affecting a named location, canon NPC or what have you, then in the overall scheme of things, they probably won't have an impact on anyone elses game.

I think if there was one central location for major changes, say subdivided by region, that would allow any GM to update or track what was happening.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

RSGAlex

Jefepato, have you tried a virus scan, or the like? Because for me 255 is perfectly readable. (It's got a few miscellaneous charm terms defined, an explanation all about Excellencies, and two archery charms.)

Especially if two separate downloads have given you the same result.
Signature Recreation Pending....

Downloading Drivers 1 of @*.

Please wait warmly.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Jefepato on October 25, 2015, 07:40:33 AM
Three?  Why three?

There is one reason.  It is unreadable.  To speak of examples, most of page 255 cannot be read.  I could give more examples but I don't see the point.

I don't mean difficult to read.  I mean absolutely impossible because it is just scattered letters.  Surely I'm not the only person with issues?  I downloaded it twice to be sure.
Because I thought you've been able to read them and this is your opinion. Sorry, question retracted, but page 255 is perfectly readable.
Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 25, 2015, 08:07:13 AM
Off the top of my head, unless changes are on a big scale .. affecting a named location, canon NPC or what have you, then in the overall scheme of things, they probably won't have an impact on anyone elses game.

I think if there was one central location for major changes, say subdivided by region, that would allow any GM to update or track what was happening.
Exalted is a game known to lead to big changes, so this would still be necessary.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Lockepick

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 25, 2015, 06:58:02 AM
What do people think about the idea of a 'Living' Exalted campaign? Characters could carry over from one game to another, xp, items and history is kept (pending individual GM approval, if it might conflict with their own story plot). If a game finished up, or even an individual had to drop for whatever reason, they could then take the character on to another game later.

I'll go with whatever the GMs want to do. Personally, I find most Living Campaigns in a game as mechanical as Exalted tend to cause more issues than benefits. The game is young, and some GM rules calls might not fly with everybody -- or even how 'monty haul' one game is over the next. Even the timing of moving from one game to the next: in a meat-body tabletop game, it's pretty clear when people would move. In PbP: everything might hinge on one scene ending, where people are posting once every 48 hours, for example.

Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Lockepick

Current Listing:
Please post here or PM me if I made a mistake on your 'category', or if you need to be added to any list (including GMs who also want to play).
(Last Communication entails the last time the person said something about wanting to run or play -- not the last time they've made ANY post.)

Intending to GM
|
Last Communication
|
Details
|
Status of Game
HairyHeretic10/25/15No Details0 / ? Players
Winter King10/25/15Multiple Ideas0 / ? Players
Vekseid9/15/15No Details0 / ? Players

Intending to Play | Last Communication |
Status
LockepickNowNo Games
ChaoticSky10/24/15No Games
Thufir Hawat10/24/15No Games
Empyrean10/25/15No Games
ChaingingSaint10/25/15No Games
AndyZ10/24/15No Games
RSGAlex10/24/15No Games
Black Howling9/16/15No Games
Muse9/15/15No Games
Pockets9/15/15No Games

Others (Not sure if they have interest or are just discussing rules):
Riveda   Jefepato   Crash
Plot HooksTFcommandoDatawych

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

RSGAlex

Please wait warmly.

Winter King

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 25, 2015, 06:58:02 AM
I think we have a fair number of Exalted fans here, both those who want to (or at least are willing to) GM, as well as those who want to play.

What do people think about the idea of a 'Living' Exalted campaign? Characters could carry over from one game to another, xp, items and history is kept (pending individual GM approval, if it might conflict with their own story plot). If a game finished up, or even an individual had to drop for whatever reason, they could then take the character on to another game later.

Thoughts?

Hm... I don't have them. I mean, that'd be fine with me? I'm not sure I'll be able to run more games than one, at any rate, and if people needed to drop/etc. having this would allow for others to join perhaps more fluidly than needing to create a new character, certainly.

As for needing to affect one another... I mean, Creation is huge. My current idea has a city-state sitting between Nexus and Lookshy - to the people there, Port Calin is really far away, and I doubt many of the denizens hear more than tall-tales and crazy stuff about, say, the West. There are stories that you might hear, eventually - like, the Bull smashing House Tepet's strength - which might affect games between one another, but I'm not certain how often the problem would come up unless we're all grouped in (relatively) close contact with one another - say, I run in the Scavenger Lands near Lookshy and Nexus, someone else does in Vaneha, and a third in Ixcoatli. Even then, the tales would not necessarily affect one another, I think.
Current Status: Busy-ish, but back. I'll try to check in more often nowadays.

Check out my world!

Thufir Hawat

Maybe I should add that I'd prefer a game that doesn't include chat meetings. Oh, and I'm planning a high-Compassion Zenith.

But thank you, Lockepick, that was really helpful!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Winter King on October 25, 2015, 10:37:26 AM
Hm... I don't have them. I mean, that'd be fine with me? I'm not sure I'll be able to run more games than one, at any rate, and if people needed to drop/etc. having this would allow for others to join perhaps more fluidly than needing to create a new character, certainly.

As for needing to affect one another... I mean, Creation is huge. My current idea has a city-state sitting between Nexus and Lookshy - to the people there, Port Calin is really far away, and I doubt many of the denizens hear more than tall-tales and crazy stuff about, say, the West. There are stories that you might hear, eventually - like, the Bull smashing House Tepet's strength - which might affect games between one another, but I'm not certain how often the problem would come up unless we're all grouped in (relatively) close contact with one another - say, I run in the Scavenger Lands near Lookshy and Nexus, someone else does in Vaneha, and a third in Ixcoatli. Even then, the tales would not necessarily affect one another, I think.
By the time we get to Essence 3, we'd be hearing about each other from the West to the East.
And if we're in the same region, we might get into a city and find out the local Immaculates are bristling and a Wyld Hunt is expected soon. Why? Nothing we did! Some Anathemas robbed the Realm's satrap and are hiding with his mistress :P.
Maybe they've left the city, maybe not, but that's the nature of a "Living" campaign ;D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Crash

Interested as a player but won't have the rules intil they are available to everyone.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 25, 2015, 09:26:05 AM
Exalted is a game known to lead to big changes, so this would still be necessary.

Potentially, yes, though any game I've been in hasn't gotten to that stage.

Quote from: lockepick on October 25, 2015, 09:56:59 AM
I'll go with whatever the GMs want to do. Personally, I find most Living Campaigns in a game as mechanical as Exalted tend to cause more issues than benefits. The game is young, and some GM rules calls might not fly with everybody -- or even how 'monty haul' one game is over the next. Even the timing of moving from one game to the next: in a meat-body tabletop game, it's pretty clear when people would move. In PbP: everything might hinge on one scene ending, where people are posting once every 48 hours, for example.

True. Til we've had a chance to play with the rules some, we won't know what may need tweaking though. If we did go with this idea, anyone GMing as a part of it would have to be onboard with whatever the group as a whole decided.

The Monty Haul aspect could potentially be troublesome, but any game I've played here, I don't think it has been.

Quote from: Winter King on October 25, 2015, 10:37:26 AM

True.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 25, 2015, 10:54:36 AM
By the time we get to Essence 3, we'd be hearing about each other from the West to the East.
And if we're in the same region, we might get into a city and find out the local Immaculates are bristling and a Wyld Hunt is expected soon. Why? Nothing we did! Some Anathemas robbed the Realm's satrap and are hiding with his mistress :P.
Maybe they've left the city, maybe not, but that's the nature of a "Living" campaign ;D!

And as long as each GM is updating events in a regional tracker, that should be something we could keep abreast of.

The other advantage is that each GM would be able to play in another game while running their own. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Winter King

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 25, 2015, 10:54:36 AM

I understand where you're coming from, but I feel like it kind of undermines the sense of scale when you're hearing news about the West, for instance, in Ixacoatl, and it's not almost a year out of date and/or warped beyond recognition of truth... of course, that might just be what you meant by Essence 3 there. :P

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 25, 2015, 11:51:38 AM
And as long as each GM is updating events in a regional tracker, that should be something we could keep abreast of.

I think my point above stands here, but I'm inclined to agree.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 25, 2015, 11:51:38 AM
The other advantage is that each GM would be able to play in another game while running their own. :)
While that's definitely true, is a Living Campaign necessary for this? I mean, I'm not against the idea of a Living Campaigns in this case, just wondering how the two are connected. xD

Check out my world!

ChaoticSky

255 is completely readable to me as well, and some quick skimming up and down doesnt show any obvious problems, but i might find some later.

Also I fear the complications it might bring, but i am nominally in favour of a 'living' game, since that makes it impossible for all the games to be set in the Scavenger Lands ;D

Jefepato

Quote from: RSGAlex on October 25, 2015, 08:22:02 AM
Jefepato, have you tried a virus scan, or the like? Because for me 255 is perfectly readable. (It's got a few miscellaneous charm terms defined, an explanation all about Excellencies, and two archery charms.)

Especially if two separate downloads have given you the same result.
I'm trying; my virus scanner seems to have stalled out.  Not a good sign for me.

But I've no idea what virus could selectively, and consistently, screw up a PDF.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Winter King on October 25, 2015, 11:58:50 AM
I understand where you're coming from, but I feel like it kind of undermines the sense of scale when you're hearing news about the West, for instance, in Ixacoatl, and it's not almost a year out of date and/or warped beyond recognition of truth... of course, that might just be what you meant by Essence 3 there. :P

If you're dealing with purely mortal means of communication, that would be correct. But factor in spirit courts, demons, Yu Shan and all the other supernatural angles, and some information could certainly travel a lot faster ... just not everyone would be aware of it.

Quote from: Winter King on October 25, 2015, 11:58:50 AM
While that's definitely true, is a Living Campaign necessary for this? I mean, I'm not against the idea of a Living Campaigns in this case, just wondering how the two are connected. xD

Not necessary as such, but still a plus :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

RSGAlex

Quote from: Jefepato on October 25, 2015, 12:03:20 PM
I'm trying; my virus scanner seems to have stalled out.  Not a good sign for me.

But I've no idea what virus could selectively, and consistently, screw up a PDF.

My guess is that it's one that either entered via the font vulnerabilities in the past, or one going after text and/or vision capabilities.

Please wait warmly.

Empyrean

As far as character ideas go, I'm kind of thinking Twilight at the moment. Some backwater smith who got the Exaltation and now crafts wonders and artifacts. Just off the top of my head.

Revelation

I have to admit a living campaign doesn't exactly excite me, but if it's the only way to try exalted out here, i'd go with the flow just to get a shot at it.

HairyHeretic

It's not required by any means, I just thought it would be an idea worth kicking around :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Winter King

Okay, so since people are kicking ideas around about characters, I'll leave you with a couple of thoughts I've had about where I might set the game I run.

Stone

Once an isolated manse carved from a single stone, the city-state of Stone is located a month's journey to the west of Nexus, south of the Yangze. Known for its incredibly wealthy silver mines, Stone is a city of oppression and opulence, with strong ties to the Guild on one hand, yet largely averse to the Immaculate faith of Lookshy on the other. Only truly established as Yaojin during the Shogunate, the Contagion saw a fleeing people conquer the city and put its few surviving inhabitants into the worst part of the city. Shining Sapphire, the queen of the invaders, then made a bargain with the goddess of masks, and became the first Unmasked Queen.

Since then, her descendants have ruled, often as mere puppets for the merchant princes who owned the mines, or for other, external powers such as the Marukani, or in one notable occurrence, Lookshy. This changed when a champion of Stone was Chosen by Pasiap, and, in a demonstration of his loyalty to the Queen, broke the power of the merchant princes and of external powers.

The people of Stone never show their faces in public, wearing masks whose decorations and composition depend on the social status of the wearer - only the Unmasked Queen ever goes barefaced, and all reflective surfaces are covered.

Honestly, not sure where that particular location would go - it'd be up to your characters to drive that particular plot. The other one's got more built-in plot hooks and is actually located in a Realm Satrapy.

The Satrapy of Dun-lat

Dun-lat was always a satrapy loyal to the Realm, overseen by its satraps from House Tepet, and so devoted to the Immaculate Order that families across the satrapy gave their firstborn to the Order as monks. Since the nigh-destruction of House Tepet at the hands of the Bull of the North, however, things have gone very badly very quickly - five months ago, a God-blooded woman, the daughter of the local river goddess began a revolution, and the satrap was forced to call in Tepet's flagging strength to hold on to one of its few remaining bastions. After several months of skirmishing, the God-Blooded was killed, and reputedly by an Anathema at that! Now the satrap and the flagging forces of House Tepet struggle in a chaotic mix of bandits, rebels, Anathema, and the lingering threats of its neighbors. Meanwhile, a three-tailed fox watches from the shadows, and the rage of the mother river grows ever greater.

My less developed idea, that, on reflection. But there you go.

Check out my world!

HairyHeretic

I think in terms of sandbox setting, Dun-lat has more potential. The situation is unsettled, so Solars looking to establish a power base could do worse than start there.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Winter King

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 25, 2015, 04:10:53 PM
I think in terms of sandbox setting, Dun-lat has more potential. The situation is unsettled, so Solars looking to establish a power base could do worse than start there.
Yeah, that was my feeling as well. I think Stone has a certain sort of chronicle in mind, actually... Hm, interesting. Just got a couple of thoughts.

... Disregard any malevolent giggles you may think you hear.

Check out my world!

Revelation

I likewise believe Dun-lat sounds much more ripe for campaign potential. Though, Stone makes me think of Facade from Nier with the masks and all.

AndyZ

I'm thinking about a Dawn with Steel Devil style.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Lockepick

Happy to help on the database!

It seems like the only discussion that's happening in regards to the living campaign is defending against negative traits -- but I don't really hear any real benefits to going that route, honestly.

I don't usually work on characters without a campaign/setting in mind, and tend to coordinate specifically with the other players. I don't want the fact that I'm not talking about a potential character to make it seem as if my interest has waned!