Looking for a Dragon Riders of Pern Group

Started by undisclosedtoyou, July 18, 2015, 03:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undisclosedtoyou

I'm searching for a game that's set in Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern world setting.  The game can be freeform/system, I don't have a preference, as long as I get to play around in this setting.  Maybe a game where players can choose to play either human or as a dragon, something with adventure and fun.  But to be honest, as long as I get my Dragon fix, I'm good to go!

If we could get a GM to run the game, and players to play in the world, I'd woop in glee!
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Chrystal

Yeah...

So many people have tried...

"They tried and failed?" "They tried and died...!"

Sorry, quote from Dune there, but, yeah. I tried running a DRoP group. It hardly even got off the ground before vanishing between never to be seen again.

I was also, briefly, Co-GM for a DRoP group set after the end of the books written by Anne McCaffrey, based on the apocryphal books written by her son. After putting in a heck of a lot of work, the GM decided she didn't want to go any further.

So, yeah. Your best bet, seriously, is to start a one-on-one game based on the subject matter.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

undisclosedtoyou

I think I was in your DRoP game, Chrystal.  It feels like that was a long time ago!  But yeah, I hear you, the DRoP group games have had the worst luck in staying power.  A part of me feels like it it's because it's a lot of work on the GM's end, and that unless there's this giant grand adventure, with a continuous plot moving it forward, people get bored fast.  I'd probably go as far as to say that any DRoP sandbox game is doomed to fail from the get go.  One on One's don't really do it for me, unless I have a writing partner that I work well with, so I prefer group games.

I did a quick(Really quick) search for any DRoP themed system games, but just came across the 3D PC game that came out.  I'd learn a whole new system just to play this, if someone wanted to adapt this to a Dungeons and Dragons setting.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's