FOX news proves, once and for all, that they have no ethics or soul.

Started by Sel Nar, June 29, 2013, 01:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sel Nar

Fox News spends the better part of 6 minutes claiming that Mr. Rodgers is an Evil Man.

Mr. Rogers is a evil Man

This was originally uploaded in 2008, but it recently was reposted by upworthy.com to gain broader awareness of just how fucking idiotic Fox actually is.

ShadowFox89

That... I..

I have no words. Honestly. I'm going to go hit something.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Yukina

No one disses the greatness that is Mr. Rogers. He is a great man who encourages kindness, self-worth, and equality. Mixed message my rear end!

Blythe

That video was so ridiculous that it made my head hurt.

I cannot think of a single person of my generation that grew up with this that ever actually said, "I deserve an A" or "I need this job" and cited that they needed that because "Mr. Rogers said I'm special."

Once again, Fox cannot tell the difference between optimistic self-esteem and greedy self-entitlement.

Ugh.

Kythia

ShadowFox89

The epitome of the nice old man. Had a very long running show up until his death. Once got a standing ovation from the US Senate for giving a speech about why they should continue funding the public broadcasting service.

Also rumored to have been a Navy SEAL.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kythia

QuotePBS KIDS VIDEO is restricted to the United States and its territories.
I'll probably go a-youtubin'

Oniya

Bother.  The world should know the sweetness that is Fred Rogers.  :(
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Solstice

I... don't think I can watch that. <.<

Mr. Rogers is among my fondest memories of childhood. Listening to that nonsense for--what, six and a half minutes?--would probably make me An Angry Person.
Apoloies & Absences - Updated 11/16/2014 - Around and available? Hopefully?

Funguy81

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 29, 2013, 09:36:15 PM
The epitome of the nice old man. Had a very long running show up until his death. Once got a standing ovation from the US Senate for giving a speech about why they should continue funding the public broadcasting service.

Actually the rumor was that he was a marine sniper during the vietnam war. Also the rumor was that he would put tick marks on his arms for each kill he had, which is why he always wore long sleeved shirts during the show because he had like at least 20 kills. hehe, but in reality he never served in the military. I cant remember how those rumors got circulated, but he was a great man. Hell I grew up watching his show when I was a child.

Valthazar

I agree with everyone else, I have no idea how Mr. Rogers became a scapegoat for this.  Great guy, with a great message.  But I can understand the underlying message they are trying to convey.

I think this video conveys the underlying message in a more sensible way.

I Can't Believe We Made It

Oniya

Quote from: Funguy81 on June 29, 2013, 10:55:50 PM
Actually the rumor was that he was a marine sniper during the vietnam war. Also the rumor was that he would put tick marks on his arms for each kill he had, which is why he always wore long sleeved shirts during the show because he had like at least 20 kills. hehe, but in reality he never served in the military. I cant remember how those rumors got circulated, but he was a great man. Hell I grew up watching his show when I was a child.

I know that he was a Presbyterian minister for a time.  It surprised me at the time, but it's not really all that hard to believe.  I think the sniper thing is one of those rumors that gets started for the shock value - like the one about the kid from 'The Wonder Years' growing up to be Marilyn Manson.  (Also false, by the way.)

Funguy81

All I know people have way to much time on their hands when they start to find underlying meanings on everything.

People actually came out that the star wars prequel was really written by George Lucas as criticism to George Bush administration and the president's "true" goal of imperialism. Even though phantom menace came out in 1999...2 years before bush took office.

parents going crazy when they thought that the word "SEX" supposedly formed by the dust in that one scene in the lion king. (it was really "SFX" by guys that does the digital effects in the movie)

Hell I can say that the moral of the story about Disney's beauty and the beast is that no matter how abusive your true love is, All will be well because in the end he's really a handsome, rich prince...and that is what really matters.

Trieste

Oniya

Yukina

WildCat

Quote from: Oniya on June 30, 2013, 12:15:14 AM
I know that he was a Presbyterian minister for a time.  It surprised me at the time, but it's not really all that hard to believe.  I think the sniper thing is one of those rumors that gets started for the shock value - like the one about the kid from 'The Wonder Years' growing up to be Marilyn Manson.  (Also false, by the way.)
He was. I seem to recall reading that he was part of the Presbyterian faction working for full inclusion and acceptance of gay congregants.

Anyway, Fox can go right ahead and attack Mr. Rogers. It says far more about them than it does about him.
ONS and OFFS: Make Wildcat purr
Absence: Where's the cheshire Cat?

Don't want to lose track of crossrealms and my room

Beguile's Mistress

Mr. Rogers was one of Pittsburgh's favorite sons.  He received post-graduate and theological education here in our city and began his career on WQED in 1953 on the Children's Corner.  Mr. Roger's Neighborhood was produced here in Pittsburgh, too.

I loved the program and the man.  Memories of him and the lessons he taught have helped me many times when things were bad. 

Caela

Here's a link to a much more appropriate tribute to Mr. Rogers. His testimony before Congress in 1969:

http://video.pbs.org/video/1428499965/

Vekseid

The Dark Raven

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 29, 2013, 09:36:15 PM

And a Presbyterian minister.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Belle33

It's disturbing how easy it is for people to turn something pure and positive into a negative.  I want to think they were joking - was that recorded on April1 or something? 

Encouraging kids of all ages to believe they have something special to offer the world is all that man ever did.  How anyone can blame him or his message for those who feel entitled is just... *rubs temples*

Ons/Offs, Stories & Poems, Currently Not Available for RP

Aadreal

I watched the video.  It sounded like they were discussing a study released by someone.  Fox and Friends which that segments is from is a commentary and opinion show to my knowledge.  Do I have issue with some things Fox News does, yes.  I so have issue with things other news channels do.  But it seems to me Fox News gets lambasted when other channels that do the same or worse get a pass.

Beguile's Mistress

Fred Rogers taught us we are special and other people are special, too.  He has always made me feel special.  He didn't make the mistake of so many parents who misuse the word special to teach their child or children that they are the only special one or that they are more special than others or the most special being(s) in the world.  He gave us happiness, courage and a sense of worth in ourselves and he is as responsible as my grandparents and a few very close friends for getting me through some pretty rough times.

FOX News really isn't much different than some of the other news programs.  Fox & Friends is a peculiar bit of nonsense that I have no stomach for. 

Valthazar

Quote from: Aadreal on July 01, 2013, 02:15:58 PM
I watched the video.  It sounded like they were discussing a study released by someone.  Fox and Friends which that segments is from is a commentary and opinion show to my knowledge.  Do I have issue with some things Fox News does, yes.  I so have issue with things other news channels do.  But it seems to me Fox News gets lambasted when other channels that do the same or worse get a pass.

All news networks have slight biases in how they present their information.  I think the reason a lot of people tend to outwardly lambast Fox is because they disagree with conservative views on social issues.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Skynet on July 01, 2013, 08:50:48 PM
Well, Fox News has repeatedly presented falsehoods as news far more than the other cable networks, which gives them a very poor reputation among other things.

Well this is the New Agency that let a VP of Fox Broadcasting decided who did and didn't qualify for journalistic protections (They outed the author of the Bin Laden Seal Team book without a single worry to what would happen to the others on the team)

Ephiral

Quote from: Skynet on July 01, 2013, 08:50:48 PM
Well, Fox News has repeatedly presented falsehoods as news far more than the other cable networks, which gives them a very poor reputation among other things.
You mean they fought a legal battle for the Constitutional right to present lies as news. Which is a whole different level of slimy, to me.

Oniya

TaintedAndDelish

While I used to talk smack about Mr. Rogers as a kid, in hindsight, his show was decent and nurturing. Find me another show today that compares to his when it comes to discussing issues that a child might be concerned about or that is as calming and soothing to a young audience. Find me a show the provides as much education as this for the target audience. Most of today's kid's shows are absolute nonsense - mostly bright colors and noise.

I didn't bother to watch the clip as I know the source. Fox news is not worth my time. I simply refuse to read or watch or read any of their fake news.

Oniya

I dare say that, for all the quips done about Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood (Anyone remember 'Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood'?  Or the time David Copperfield poked fun at it during a magic show?) all of the people doing the quipping did so from a position of actually loving the source material.

Beguile's Mistress

Anyone remember the episode where he talked about the fear of going down the drain in the bathtub?

Oniya

Is it on the link I posted earlier?  I didn't go through all the episodes (not sure all of them are there.)

vtboy

If it is true that one's worth may be measured by the power and ferocity of one's enemies, think what this says about Mr. Rogers. Think what this says about Fox.

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 02, 2013, 10:23:26 AM
Anyone remember the episode where he talked about the fear of going down the drain in the bathtub?

LOL Yes!

ofDelusions

Zeitgeist

Did you watch you the video? I did. No one in the video said Mr. Rogers was an 'evil man'. They simply questioned the thought process of feeling special versus entitlement. The video too is somewhat suspect as the audio doesn't match the video, what is up with that?

No one lambasted him in the video. I'm quite certain Mr. Rogers, considering the generation he hailed from, would agree that while each child is indeed special, one should not feel overly entitled and would extol the virtues of hard work and earning your way in life.

This is all about Anti-Fox hysteria, liberal frothing and hand-wringing. Get over yourselves.

Oh and did you know he was an ordained minister? Considering how unpopular religion is around here I can't that would make anyone comfortable.

And no, he never served in the military. Urban Legend.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fredrogers/a/mr_rogers.htm

Oniya

There have been at least three posts pointing out that he was a Presbyterian minister.  (And I think at least one prior to yours debunking the sniper legend.) 

Not everyone here hates religion, and regardless of his ordination, Fred Rogers was the type of guy who could make anyone feel as comfortable as a much-anticipated house-guest, and yes - special.  I left the Catholic Church over two decades ago, and I would have felt just fine taking tea with Fred Rogers.  And you know what?  We probably wouldn't have spoken about religion at all.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Zeitgeist on July 03, 2013, 08:09:37 AM
Did you watch you the video? I did. No one in the video said Mr. Rogers was an 'evil man'. They simply questioned the thought process of feeling special versus entitlement. The video too is somewhat suspect as the audio doesn't match the video, what is up with that?

No one lambasted him in the video. I'm quite certain Mr. Rogers, considering the generation he hailed from, would agree that while each child is indeed special, one should not feel overly entitled and would extol the virtues of hard work and earning your way in life.

This is all about Anti-Fox hysteria, liberal frothing and hand-wringing. Get over yourselves.

Oh and did you know he was an ordained minister? Considering how unpopular religion is around here I can't that would make anyone comfortable.

And no, he never served in the military. Urban Legend.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fredrogers/a/mr_rogers.htm

I watched the video. They spent 6 minutes describing how Mr.Rogers taught nothing but self-entitlement. 11 seconds in "this evil evil man has ruined a generation of kids."

Please keep the personal attacks out of here. That isn't needed or polite.

We know he was an ordained minister. Believe it or not, we don't hang anyone religious around here. I know, hard to believe, but it's true. Hell, I'm good friends with the former priest at the local Catholic church (helped that he and my father were on the volunteer fire department together).

It was stated a couple of times about never serving in the military.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Ephiral

Quote from: Zeitgeist on July 03, 2013, 08:09:37 AM
Apparently not very well. That's from literally ten seconds into the video, dude. It's not a very good lie when it's so trivially disproven.

Quote from: Zeitgeist on July 03, 2013, 08:09:37 AMNo one lambasted him in the video. I'm quite certain Mr. Rogers, considering the generation he hailed from, would agree that while each child is indeed special, one should not feel overly entitled and would extol the virtues of hard work and earning your way in life.
So... the exact opposite of what they were claiming he said and did, then? Why are you defending this tripe again?

Quote from: Zeitgeist on July 03, 2013, 08:09:37 AMThis is all about Anti-Fox hysteria, liberal frothing and hand-wringing. Get over yourselves.
...or it's about a national news syndicate that has nothing better to do than devote five minutes of airtime to lying and demonizing a deceased, beloved public figure. Maybe you could try seeing the other side as something other than evil mutants, and knock off the pathetic insults while you're at it?

Quote from: Zeitgeist on July 03, 2013, 08:09:37 AMOh and did you know he was an ordained minister? Considering how unpopular religion is around here I can't that would make anyone comfortable.
Those of us who didn't leap into the thread solely to attack others do, because it was mentioned three goddamn times. Some people are capable of disagreeing with others without completely writing them off, judging them instead by the merits of their actions. And by that standard, this hardline, vocal atheist thinks that most people could stand to take a lesson or two from Fred Rogers.

Beguile's Mistress

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Ephiral on July 03, 2013, 02:44:57 PM
Apparently not very well. That's from literally ten seconds into the video, dude. It's not a very good lie when it's so trivially disproven.

Actually after a second and third time listening to that, I do hear where the woman says: this evil, evil man.... It was also quite obvious in the context of the discussion she was being sarcastic. Why do I think she's being sarcastic and yourself, as well as others, believe she's sincere? I guess it is because I know that woman's voice, I've seen her talk before. She and no one else in that clip is explicitly saying or inferring Mr. Roger's is an evil, evil man. You're guilty of the same knee-jerk reaction you accuse me of.

So... the exact opposite of what they were claiming he said and did, then? Why are you defending this tripe again?
...or it's about a national news syndicate that has nothing better to do than devote five minutes of airtime to lying and demonizing a deceased, beloved public figure. Maybe you could try seeing the other side as something other than evil mutants, and knock off the pathetic insults while you're at it?

Those of us who didn't leap into the thread solely to attack others do, because it was mentioned three goddamn times. Some people are capable of disagreeing with others without completely writing them off, judging them instead by the merits of their actions. And by that standard, this hardline, vocal atheist thinks that most people could stand to take a lesson or two from Fred Rogers.

I'd suggest you're a tad sensitive there. Perhaps you think you're too special?

Thing is Mr. Rogers represents all that is traditional and wholesome. Fox News has a conservative point of view. Gosh, I don't know, maybe they were engaging in a fair and balanced debate? But then, it isn't my job to defend Fox News, they can do that themselves fine.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Zeitgeist on July 03, 2013, 05:59:55 PMI'd suggest you're a tad sensitive there. Perhaps you think you're too special?

Again. Please don't make personal attacks.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kythia

Hmmmmm.

I found out who Mr Rogers was the other day when I asked in this thread, and what I know of him is this thread (pretty clear he was a Presbyterian minister, for example) and his Wikipedia page.  But it seems clear that he's a much loved figure within the US.  Fine.  I felt broadly the same way about a load of people (who, it turns out, are all sex offenders - but that's a different matter.)

But look at the title of this thread. It seems to be a lot of people are suggesting that criticising the man is morally wrong.  That any sort of examination of his influence, thoughts, etc makes the examiner an inhuman monster with no "ethics or soul".  I'm not sticking up for Zeitgeist here, I'm making a broader point.  What is wrong with a news network examining the influence of someone?  That seems to me precisely what news networks should be doing.  Sure, you don't agree with their conclusions.  That's both fine and dandy.  But criticising a network for even having the temerity to have conclusions is a little extreme, and it seems in places that that's what's happening.

Yanno, IMHO.

Caela

Quote from: Kythia on July 03, 2013, 06:31:59 PM
Hmmmmm.

I found out who Mr Rogers was the other day when I asked in this thread, and what I know of him is this thread (pretty clear he was a Presbyterian minister, for example) and his Wikipedia page.  But it seems clear that he's a much loved figure within the US.  Fine.  I felt broadly the same way about a load of people (who, it turns out, are all sex offenders - but that's a different matter.)

But look at the title of this thread. It seems to be a lot of people are suggesting that criticising the man is morally wrong.  That any sort of examination of his influence, thoughts, etc makes the examiner an inhuman monster with no "ethics or soul".  I'm not sticking up for Zeitgeist here, I'm making a broader point.  What is wrong with a news network examining the influence of someone?  That seems to me precisely what news networks should be doing.  Sure, you don't agree with their conclusions.  That's both fine and dandy.  But criticising a network for even having the temerity to have conclusions is a little extreme, and it seems in places that that's what's happening.

Yanno, IMHO.

Examining someone's influence and saying that it might not have been what the person intended it to be is fine. Denigrating the man himself (who was only trying to do something good) is what I think is out of line.

Kythia

Quote from: Caela on July 03, 2013, 06:48:07 PM
Examining someone's influence and saying that it might not have been what the person intended it to be is fine. Denigrating the man himself (who was only trying to do something good) is what I think is out of line.

But they are talking about his influence.  Specifically a report from Louisiana State University - apparently - about his influence. 

Beguile's Mistress

We live in a world where the influence of parents raising children to feel they are entitled to what they want simply because they are special is wreaking havoc on society.  All too often these parents overlook the fact that every child is special in their own way and that everything meaningful must be worked for and earned.

Fred Rogers didn't teach that concept of special but one that gave each child permission to look inside and pull out those parts that took away their fear and made them see their own worth.  He taught children they were inherently special and that didn't depend on how other people saw them but how they felt about themselves.  He did not, as the report and the story seemed to imply, teach children to be selfish and self-centered or demanding of entitlements. 

Every day I deeal with people who think that simply because they want they should get and actually have tantrums because they don't.

Oniya

The thing is, the idea that being 'special' equates to 'self-entitlement' goes completely against the entire philosophy of the show.  Mr. Rogers started every show asking his viewers to 'be his neighbor'.  If you go to the dictionary, the word 'neighborly' is defined as:

QuoteDefinition of NEIGHBORLY
: of, relating to, or characteristic of congenial neighbors; especially : friendly <a neighborly welcome>

Synonyms
    amicable, bonhomous, buddy-buddy, chummy, collegial, companionable, comradely, cordial, genial, hail-fellow, hail-fellow-well-met, hearty, matey [chiefly British], friendly, palsy, palsy-walsy [slang], warm, warmhearted

True, we've probably all had neighbors that weren't neighborly, but in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, neighbors were.  The postman was someone to greet with a smile and a 'Thank you'.

[noembed]People made mistakes and still loved each other.[/noembed]
[noembed]People could get mad and still be friends[/noembed]
[noembed]And it wasn't just that you are special - everyone else is too.[/noembed]

(With the last clip, keep in mind that Fred Rogers existed before many people had even heard of gender dysphoria.)

Trieste

Quote from: Kythia on July 03, 2013, 06:31:59 PM
But it seems clear that he's a much loved figure within the US.

Mm. Difficult to explain the relationship between Mr. Rogers and the people who watched him. Take the nostalgia of childhood television and ... I want to say you should double it. Here is someone that a lot of kids sat down with before they were even old enough to go to school and spent mornings with (at least, it was on in the morning where I was...?). He was the dude that you were positive would be able to fix anything, at all, ever, and I know people who wished like hell he was actually their neighbor. I'd imagine that for kids who didn't have someone like that, he was a little bit of an uncle-surrogate. I've known people in the past to say "Dude, he was like my pretend-dad or something!"

I wish I had better words for the emotional attachment that people have described having to Mr. Rogers. I have a fairly tight-knit and large family, and even I would occasionally wish I could talk to Mr. Rogers, usually when I had managed to piss off everyone else in my family. >.>

Oniya

Yeah - when I was looking up those YouTube videos, I - aw hell, I'm misting up now just remembering looking up those videos.

TaintedAndDelish

Ok, so I got 3 minutes or so into the FOX clip before my ears began to bleed. I really wasn't sure if they were joking or if they were really that stupid. I'm leaning towards the latter as most of their news is shallow, skewed and poor quality - though I could certainly be wrong.

For those who had never hear of him, I suggest looking for a few episodes of his show on youtube (below for convenience) and judging for yourself. The shows all followed the same, simple format for the most part. Its painful to listen to him as an adult because he talks slowly and discusses infantile topics, but its targeted at small children, not adults.

As for his religious convictions, I don't recall him ever trying to push any religious crap on his show.. but then again, that was a VERY long time ago. It's quite possible that I forgot something... but I doubt it. He could have been a satanist, scientologist or a card carrying commie for all I know. It doesn't really matter what he was as he kept his convictions to himself. He might have said the g word or something... but that's not a big deal. It wasn't noticeable.

Mister Rogers - You Can Never Go Down The Drain

Mister Rogers - Everybody's Fancy

Dang, this leg just doesn't look right here.... Ah well..

meikle

QuoteThis is all about Anti-Fox hysteria, liberal frothing and hand-wringing. Get over yourselves.
I think this line is funny or maybe kind of ironic.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Oniya

Okay, this particular scene has been going through my head for the past 48 hours, and I feel I have to share it with everyone here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=LCR1H89tELA#at=47

(That's not actually Mr. Rogers in the voice-over.)

Beguile's Mistress

I love the facial expressions in that piece.  It always makes me laugh.

Oniya

Hanshateki

Why do you all take time to discuss FOX news? I can understand why you hate them. I do too, but why fuel them by constantly talking about them. It only feeds their power.

Trieste

You're posting in a thread to discuss how you dislike other people discussing something that they dislike.

I'm not sure if you're being ironic on purpose or if you just stumbled into it. ::)

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Trieste on July 14, 2013, 02:02:10 AM
You're posting in a thread to discuss how you dislike other people discussing something that they dislike.

I'm not sure if you're being ironic on purpose or if you just stumbled into it. ::)

Quick, someone fetch the inception button!

I hid it under this poster of Bill O'Reily. You have to hit the nose to use the button.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Wicked Vixen

The three sexiest things ever said...

"I believe that whatever doesn't kill you..simply makes you.......Stranger...."

"You see, madness, as you know....,is like gravity.....All it takes is a little push......"

"Since distance equals velocity times time, let's let velocity and time approach infinity, because I want to go all the way with you."

Trieste

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on July 14, 2013, 03:31:34 PM
Quick, someone fetch the inception button!

I hid it under this poster of Bill O'Reily. You have to hit the nose to use the button.

Better be with a hammer. ;D

Ephiral

Quote from: Trieste on July 18, 2013, 07:35:17 PM
Better be with a hammer. ;D
I was going to suggest an orbital strike. It's the only way to be sure.

(Kidding, dammit. I'm a pacifist by principle.)

Oniya

Boffer weapons.  All of the tension relief, none of the medical bills.