A Mark Unread Option

Started by CharlieSariel, August 06, 2008, 12:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieSariel

Sometimes, when I read a post in one of my threads and then want to think on it a bit before answering, I keep wanting to flag it so I can remember it has stuff in it I haven't responded to yet.  Maybe it's just me and my organizational style, but I think it would be something useful.  At least to me.

Current Posting Rate - Approximately 1 to 2 posts per week

Trieste

In the upper right corner beside the reply and notify buttons is a mark unread option. :)

Paradox

I hate to hijack a thread, but it is a somewhat related question:

Is there any way to exclude threads from the "Show new replies to your posts." button? I am awfully tired of being informed of new posts in various threads that I stopped contributing to.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Trieste

Well, no, because you replied to them... I believe it stops if you go back and delete your posts. At least, so sayeth the Xillen.

Paradox

If I remember correctly, Vekseid frowns upon frivolous deletion of posts. I wouldn't want to delete them anyway. I just want a way to not be included in the games I've left, discussions I've dropped out of, etc. Maybe I'll take this to the Features thread.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Haibane

Click on the NOTIFY button again at the top or bottom of the page in the threads you no longer want notifications for: a prompt comes up asking if you want to cease being notified of posts in that thread. You tell it yes. You will have to go into all the threads you're not interested in one more time though :(

Sherona

Quote from: Haibane on August 09, 2008, 05:28:23 PM
Click on the NOTIFY button again at the top or bottom of the page in the threads you no longer want notifications for: a prompt comes up asking if you want to cease being notified of posts in that thread. You tell it yes. You will have to go into all the threads you're not interested in one more time though :(

No you dont. Just go to profile, click "Notification settings" and uncheck there.

Paradox

I have never used notifications. That was not the feature I was referring to. Thanks though.

Haibane

Quote from: Sherona on August 09, 2008, 05:42:43 PM
No you dont. Just go to profile, click "Notification settings" and uncheck there.
Yes you do. If you follow your suggestion you no longer receive notifications for ANY posts you make, and you wipe clear your 'watched threads' board. Which is not funny. I know this  :-\ :'(

Xillen

Quote from: charliesariel on August 06, 2008, 12:06:22 PM
Sometimes, when I read a post in one of my threads and then want to think on it a bit before answering, I keep wanting to flag it so I can remember it has stuff in it I haven't responded to yet.  Maybe it's just me and my organizational style, but I think it would be something useful.  At least to me.

Quote from: Trieste on August 06, 2008, 12:11:57 PM
In the upper right corner beside the reply and notify buttons is a mark unread option. :)

They appear at the top and at the botton of the posts. However, if you started the thread yourself, then the one at the bottom is replaced by "ADD POLL".

In my humple opinion it would make more sense for the one at the top to be replaced instead of the one at the bottom, as you've just read towards the bottom and then think "I want to read this again at a later time." or at least be reminded at it at a later time, while the poll will appear at the top, so it makes sense to put that button where it'll appear.

Haibane: First, the Notifications aren't the same thing as Show Replies. Deleting all your posts from a certain thread DOES remove it from your Show Replies list, but yeah, it's frowned upon, so I'm not gonna repeat that.

Second, you can disable individual notificiations:
Go to the My Topics page.
Click on the "click here to go to the notifications section of your profile" link, which is on the top of that page.
Click the checkboxes right of the threads you no longer want to follow.
Click the Unsubscribe button.

(Clicking the checkbox at the top will flag ALL threads, and thus remove all of them.)