News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Should I vote?

Started by The Lovely Tsaritsa, October 01, 2016, 07:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lovely Tsaritsa

I live in Russia, I have US citizenship though. I'm still registered, for voting in New York. And, I think I still have time, for making overseas vote.

I don't like either candidate though. One is a crazy crook, the other is only a crook, I think. ::) And, I'm not sure my New York vote makes difference anyway. But, a few of my US friends, they ask and encourage me, for voting anyway. And I never voted to US President before, I would like to.

Is it silly, if I vote anyway? Even if I don't like my choices, and don't live in the country, anymore?

gaggedLouise

Realistically it won't matter. New York is one of those states where the democrat presidential candidate always wins and the Dems have a solid upper hand over several elections. Both senators for the state are currently democrats and the people of New York state have voted firmly on the blue side for the past thirty years, with wide margins. Plus, Hillary used to be their own senator. And many New Yorkers hate the idea of Trump as president (can't blame them, really...).  :P Unless something absolutely sensational happens, Mrs. Clinton will score a near-landslide majority in New York on November 8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_New_York_(state)#Presidential_elections

If you had been written in Florida, Ohio or New Mexico back in the days when you resided in the US, it would have been a different deal.  :-)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

TyCaine

Personally I would still vote, for the simple reason that choosing not to vote is still a choice, so why not make the choice count?

If you don't like either candidate, that's fine too, however, there is such a thing as the lesser of two evils. Choosing not to vote either way means you're potentially increasing the chance that the greater of the two evils gets elected.

Note as Louise mentioned, in N.Y. it might not realistically make a difference, but does anyone want the chance of the greater of the evils getting in? Siding with caution says, why not vote?

And a further note to those who would select an outside candidate, that is your choice and your right, but with the majority selecting one of the two the chance of a third getting elected are remote, so again why not select the lesser of the two evils to ensure the greater doesn't get elected.

Just my .02 cents on the matter. :-)
Currently tentatively looking for a writing partner or two, pitch me an idea...
My smut dance card is a little full, though I might be tempted with the right story...
Pitch me an idea...

Ons & Offs & Current Threads | Recent Posts | F-List
RPs Wanted 1 | RPs Wanted 2
Apologies & Absences

Mintprincess

I would research third parties and see if any of their platforms are more in line with your beliefs.   You still can make a difference by showing support.

RedRose

Mintprincess is right.

That said, I have been too lazy to go and wait in line... Especially when I hated all candidates, or when it was obvious one would be winning. Not looking forward to French elections.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

The Lovely Tsaritsa

I really don't know what I do. If I vote for what's best, for me and my family, I vote for Mr Trump. Maybe he helps lift sanctions by US and EU, against Russia. Those sanctions don't hurt anyone in power, they just make good people lose jobs.  >:( And, I don't think Mrs Clinton does that. I think she gets US military more involved in Eastern Europe, that scares me.

But,I don't like Mr Trump. He is creep, one of my friends worked for him in New York. And my boss when I worked there called him a snake, who lies and steals. He has no business, calling others crooks, he needs looking in mirrors first. I think Mrs Clinton is better for US, I think she's owned by the big business though.

I try reading more, this week. It's hard for me reading good facts though.

Mintprincess

I still will advocate your vote will mean more for the politics of the US if you look at 3rd party. As everyone said, NY is going to go democrat regardless, and as you've said, both candidate suck.  The best thing for this country is to work toward having a real choice in the future instead of crappy ones. 

http://www.john-uebersax.com/plato/thirdparty.htm

gaggedLouise

Quote from: lovelylilT on October 03, 2016, 08:27:23 AM
I really don't know what I do. If I vote for what's best, for me and my family, I vote for Mr Trump. Maybe he helps lift sanctions by US and EU, against Russia. Those sanctions don't hurt anyone in power, they just make good people lose jobs.  >:( And, I don't think Mrs Clinton does that. I think she gets US military more involved in Eastern Europe, that scares me.

But,I don't like Mr Trump. He is creep, one of my friends worked for him in New York. And my boss when I worked there called him a snake, who lies and steals. He has no business, calling others crooks, he needs looking in mirrors first. I think Mrs Clinton is better for US, I think she's owned by the big business though.

I try reading more, this week. It's hard for me reading good facts though.

Hillary Clinton is at least more professional, and more able to keep good and intelligent advisors around long-term. Trump basically says "U R fired!" to anyone on his staff who tells him what he doesn't want to hear or makes him feel awkward one time too many (especially in front of other people), that's been his mode of operations all along and I don't see any reason he would change his style once he gets to the White House. I can't begin to imagine Trump handling the Cuban Missile Crisis,a  serious spat with China or the aftermath of a major terrorist attack. Mrs. Clinton would at least scrutinize ths situation, listen to her advisors and to other political leaders - and try to calmly assess what had happened and possible avenues forward.

Trump might lift the sanctions on Russia, yes, but he's likely to cause lots of other problems in and outside of America.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

HannibalBarca

At least for your own piece of mind, vote.  It is a privilege, and such things are not lightly wasted.  Voting by absentee ballot is a perfectly good way to do so, too.

Also keep in mind that, regardless of the corruption and establishment support Hillary Clinton has, she is nowhere near the demagogue, fascist, and moron Trump is.  Electing fascists has never turned out well for the countries that have done so.  Maintaining the status quo in this particular election is, I believe, better than possibly wrecking the entire system, or starting the crumbling.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

The Lovely Tsaritsa

I deliver my vote to U.S. consulate today. Thank you, for everyone's help. :-)

Callie Del Noire

Glad you did.  As for voting I consider it a duty to all citizens to vote.  Don't vote for president or vote for a 3rd party candidate but please look over the ticket and vot is what I tell folks   Numbers matter, if more people woke up and voted regularly the parties would notice 

leafy

My opinion on this is quite simple. One should vote on one's principles. One shouldn't feel obligated to vote due to societal/familial pressure. Not voting does not make you Un-American; it just makes you skeptical of the two-party system that this country has put in place. Skepticism of this type is actually QUITE American. I know a lot of folks - liberal people - who are supporting Trump b/c they simply believe he will bring more diversity of thought into the relatively stagnate approach to politics in the United States.

Tamhansen

Quote from: leafy on November 04, 2016, 01:23:40 PM
My opinion on this is quite simple. One should vote on one's principles. One shouldn't feel obligated to vote due to societal/familial pressure. Not voting does not make you Un-American; it just makes you skeptical of the two-party system that this country has put in place. Skepticism of this type is actually QUITE American. I know a lot of folks - liberal people - who are supporting Trump b/c they simply believe he will bring more diversity of thought into the relatively stagnate approach to politics in the United States.

Lol. Those people are either ignorant or out to ruin the country. If there is one thing a Trump presidency won't bring it is diversity, of any kind.

And not voting is simply cutting your nose to spite your face
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.