News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

20 Foods Your Cardiologist Won't Eat

Started by King_Furby, May 26, 2008, 09:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Furby

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cholesterol/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100203758&GT1=31007

I admit i do eat salty foods and things that are not good for me. I love mcdonalds I eat there usally once a week. But the dishes listed in the article literally made me go OMG. I have never had any of the items listed and i now never will either. there is a limit to how salty things should be. for example.

one of the dishes listed.

1. The Saltiest Dish in America

Romano's Macaroni Grill Chicken Portobello

7,300 mg sodium, 1,020 calories, 66 g fat

With three items on our top 20 list, plus a slew of dishonorable mentions, Macaroni Grill earns its title as America's saltiest chain restaurant. But what makes this the saltiest dish in America? One word: demi-glace, a fancy French name for the viscous salt slick that blankets this disastrous dish. You would have to eat 32 cups of potassium-rich broccoli to compensate for this sodium avalanche.

Fricken no way. The person should be shot for even thinking of making something that salty. Gross.

Trieste

Edit: I meant to thank you, Furby, for posting this. It's a good heads up to watch your sodium... MSN Health's articles are good for the casual user, but I thought I'd present some (hee hee) food for thought.

The thing is, this kind of thing falls under what Cookie Monster* would now call a "sometimes food". Like #20, right there on top, "Saltiest Side Dish" ... yeah, it's horrendously, insanely salty, but you don't eat stuff like that every day. Diet soda and bottled water are notorious for being hidden sources of massive amounts of sodium as well. It's why you're supposed to have a balanced, varied diet of largely home-made and fresh stuff, so you know what goes into it, and there are as few preservatives as possible... and you save the salty pork from IHOP or Waffle House for special occasions.

Not to mention that all this stuff is from chains. Hardee's, Arby's, Macaroni Grill, PF Chang's... and chain restaurants often ship their foods from a few chosen production plants to their branches, which requires a lot of preservatives as well as quick shipping ... and guess what is one of the most common preservatives? Ever heard of salting pork or beef to preserve it?

Additionally, you have that the 6,700 mg of sodium is probably what's contained in a whole entree, and I can never finish a whole entree at a restaurant... and I don't know many who can. Usually I split with someone else, or I stick with an appetizer... As a kid I was given a rule of thumb to avoid portions larger than my fist, and nothing larger than my two smallest fingers if I want to try 'everything' (at a buffet or potluck or whatever). I think some weight management company has picked up this old adage now (might be Weight Watchers) and it's true. I guarantee you a portion the size of my fist does not have over 6,000 mg Na in there... demi-glace or not.

And it sounds yummy. Mmmm, portobellos.

* Alas, Cookie, I mourn for your cookie-devouring ways, but understand that your producers and writers are bending you over offstage and raping you... I know this because my childhood is the one in line in front of you. ;_;

King_Furby

I know people don't eat that stuff everyday. But that last one, heck thats a food i think should not be eaten ever. Salty food is fine sometimes but that thing, thats totally over the line.

The Overlord

Quote10. Saltiest Bread

Dunkin' Donuts Salt Bagel

4,520 mg sodium, 320 calories, 62 g carbs

This bagel is more like a giant salt-encrusted pretzel, delivering 188 percent of your recommended daily sodium intake.

Well duh....it's only called a SALT bagel.  ::)

King_Furby

They made too big a deal of the salt bagel. I agree with you. But still thats alot of fricken sodium.

The Overlord

Yes it is, and this coming from a person that loves to salt his food, 188% of your daily is nothing short of heinous.

Brittlby

Heinous? I shouldn't think so. We're all remarkably well informed as to the nutritional value of these items, and much the same as cigarettes, there are those who will choose to ignore the health risks.

... and the likelihood of me giving up my P.F. Chang's is zero.
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O