Anti Virus tip from a friend

Started by Oreo, October 07, 2010, 02:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

Who would have thought they would use your own software against you?  Fake Browser Warning
After reading the article I have come to the conclusion it would be all around safer to 'never click a pop up'. If you see a pop up for something you use, open the program in your computer and run a search for updates from there.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Oniya

Amusingly enough:  'Firefox prevented this site from opening a pop-up window.'

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Haibane

Quote"In reality, no browser offers its users security updates from its anti-malware warning screen."
If you keep your wits about you, you can always spot the fakes.

Like Paypal will never send you an e-mail to reconfirm your details, nor will your bank e-mail you telling you your account has been frozen and "in to re-access it, send us your security data."

Whenever anything unexpected pops up on your screen in any program, do not panic. Stay calm, read it and then make a rational decision. If necessary, phone a friend (or use another PC to do a search). Sadly these scams work because a small percentage of people will always click the button.

Oreo

I know. My hubby got a virus last month from clicking what he thought was our Avira updater. I ended up taking it back to factory specs as it is used for nothing but surfing the net. I know how easily the pop ups can fool you.