Picture Thread Formatting

Started by TheSithChicken, July 31, 2016, 10:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSithChicken

I recently started a picture thread and I have not experienced any loading issues with it but my computer is stupid powerful* and doesn't even notice things like large amounts of pictures. I have been notified that not everyone is having so smooth a time with them. Which is a problem since I am trying to use the thread to drum up story ideas and partners. Are there any good tricks to making this less intensive on the loading end without spoilering them?

* Seriously. This isn't a brag. This is a hand me down computer and it is literally more powerful than every computer I have ever owned together. I have no idea what to do with this thing. I don't even want to know what his new computer is capable of.

Beautiful Mystery

For me, I load only (with exception) about 6 or so in one post. Another thing that might help you is limiting the picture height or width. This is what I personally use in my thread:

[img height=400]imgurlhere[/img] [img height=400]imgurlhere[/img]

Limiting them scales them down but if you click on them, a full size loads. If you want to do more work, I would suggest uploading them to an editing website and scaling them down to decrease the file size. You might have files that are very large and if you have a lot on one page, then that would be why other people are having issues.

I think perhaps a combination of both scaling down the image and the file size will work for you!

Hope this helps (:

Edit: I just looked at the thread and decreasing the file size should be your first option. I think there is so many and such big files that it is a lot to load at once.
Check A/A
The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns.
He comes dressed as everything you have wished for.
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

TheSithChicken

I can make them smaller. I'm actually already scaling them down but more might not be a terrible idea. In the future I will limit the number per post too.

Oreo

The biggest issue is picture size. If you resize them before uploading to the wiki or linking from your host site it will help. Changing the size in the BBCode does not make the load time shorter. ; )

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

TheSithChicken

TheSithChicken

Drake Valentine

Still bit laggy.

Alternatively and more time consuming you could use two image copies.

Original size one and smaller scaled down one to reduce load time.

Hyperlink the original size one into the smaller scale one, therefore if clicking on it, they can be taken to the larger size image. Bit time consuming, but eh.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: DarkPrince on July 31, 2016, 10:50:58 PM* Seriously. This isn't a brag. This is a hand me down computer and it is literally more powerful than every computer I have ever owned together. I have no idea what to do with this thing. I don't even want to know what his new computer is capable of.
Try getting into 3D rendering. You really don't want to know how much computer power a large render in Poser can use if you crank up the quality and have multiple light sources and shadows going on.  ;D

Quote from: Beautiful Mystery on July 31, 2016, 10:56:14 PM
Edit: I just looked at the thread and decreasing the file size should be your first option. I think there is so many and such big files that it is a lot to load at once.
I agree. File size is important. From what I saw, your images are all JPGs. You can usually get away with quite a bit of jpg compression unless you are dealing with an image that will be closely examined. A few small compression artifacts shouldn't be a problem. I doubt many people will notice them unless you go completely overboard with the compression, and your images seem to be intended to create a strong first impression. They will still do that if you use a bit of compression.

You could also try to crop a few images just a little. An image cropped (not resized!) from, say... 1000x1000 to something that's 900x900 will reduce the are of the image by 20% (from 1mio to 810k pix). That's 20% less data to save into the file at the cost of maybe cutting out a few minor background elements.

Something unrelated that I noticed is that I scroll through the image thread pretty fast, once it has loaded (which happens at a reasonable speed - not great, but okay) until I spot an image that grabs my attention. If you want to use this to capture writing partners you might want to think about adding a bit more text to the thread that describes your ideas and/or make the text you already have more noticeable (boldface, font size, etc.). At the moment it strikes me as "whoa! cool images", but not so much as "what does this person want to do with this inspiration", if you know what I mean?
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

TheSithChicken

I found the extent of my working on the pictures in uploading them in a smaller file. It seems to work well enough.

QuoteSomething unrelated that I noticed is that I scroll through the image thread pretty fast, once it has loaded (which happens at a reasonable speed - not great, but okay) until I spot an image that grabs my attention. If you want to use this to capture writing partners you might want to think about adding a bit more text to the thread that describes your ideas and/or make the text you already have more noticeable (boldface, font size, etc.). At the moment it strikes me as "whoa! cool images", but not so much as "what does this person want to do with this inspiration", if you know what I mean?

This I have been considering.