What I Am Thankful For Today

Started by Beautiful Mystery, April 29, 2017, 12:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beautiful Mystery

Hello, my name is Beautiful Mystery and I have first world problems.

Yeah, I bet you are thinking: "So? Who doesn't at some point?"

For me though, I generally let something like a first world problem ruin my morning/afternoon/evening when it is really not a big deal. Why? I am not sure. I guess I get so caught up in the now that I don't think about the rest of my day. It is one blip in 24 hours.

Back a few years ago, I got involved in a program at my college that taught students how to be a leader and developed their skills. We did self-reflection on ourselves in many ways. What we thought we did well. What we wanted to improve on. What we believed were our positive traits and traits we wished to change. I took more than a few minutes to think on what trait of myself I wanted to change. I thought about how I talk too much, how I can get rather loud when explaining things or I talk too fast. But then it hit me that there was one thing that I did that annoyed me. I focused too much on the little negative things in my life. Little things that made no sense to sweat over but yet I did. How that person cut me off in traffic this morning and I was grumbly the rest of the morning. Maybe the bread I was going to have for dinner was moldy so I have no bread. Things that in the long run, don't really matter. When I talked to the group leader, I said I wanted to focus on more positive things in my life instead of the little negative things. That is when they came up with the idea of what I am thankful for. It seemed rather easy. I just took 5 minutes a day to think of 5 things I am thankful for and text them. I noticed that when doing this, I felt a lot better about my days and I would focus (if only for a little bit) about things that really mattered for the day.

So that is what I am doing here. Instead of 5, I am making it 3. I encourage anyone to post as well! I invite anyone to join me in just taking a few moments each day to reflect. Some days it will be incredibly insightful things that I am thankful for. Other times, it will be simple. I will be honest with all of you that not every day is going to sound like an inspirational poster.

So let me start for today!

Today I am thankful for...

1. I have access to clean water.
2. I always have food on my plate.
3. I live in a safe place, never fearing for my safety each day.

Okay so today sounds like an inspirational poster but hey, gotta start off strong!

Check A/A
The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns.
He comes dressed as everything you have wished for.
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Beautiful Mystery

Oh, today certainly reminded me of first world problems. I went to the mall (which I don't do often) and I was promptly reminded why I don't like the mall. All of the people and the screeching kids. So that on top of other things (that I don't want to go into since this is supposed to be positive!), my day wasn't entirely the best. Now I am taking a few minutes to just do some deep breaths and reflect.

1. I have a wonderful relationship with my parents.
2. Movies that make me happy.
3. My dogs.

See? Not every day will be something deeply insightful. Today, I was thankful for the fact that a movie was able to brighten up my night.

Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Beautiful Mystery

Today was a super long day. There were a few things that irked me for a bit but for the most part, my day was more neutral. I would take that over letting my day be ruined! To be honest, I almost forgot to post this as I have been tired since I got home. >.>

1. Financial stability.
2. Good weather.
3. The appreciation of someone close to me.
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Beautiful Mystery

With it being about 10 minutes to midnight on my end, I guess I should do this.  ::) Today was spent working on my final project for one of my classes and let's just say that there was more than a few negative things on my mind. >.> No doubt there will be more coming as my last week of classes dies down and I do my finals mostly this week and one the day before graduation.

1. Having an education and continuing to have the ability to further my education easily.
2. Being able to easily communicate with friends and family from anywhere in the world.
3. Knowing someone is always there to listen to anything.
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Beautiful Mystery

Today was an overall neutral day. I mean on the better side but nothing really happened. So nothing bad really but still, I aim to always take the time to be thankful for something. (:

1. Having food on my table every night.
2. Appreciation for my work (even if it is my job).
3. Family.
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Beautiful Mystery

Another long day. Insomnia is annoying for sure but thankfully it was my day off. A fairly relaxing day though.

1. Having a job.
2. The ability to support other families by buying local.
3. A comfortable bed.
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Beautiful Mystery

I forgot to update this yesterday. >.> I was so happy that I was updating every day and then I forgot.  ::) Hey, at least it hasn't been a week right? I just also wanted to remind everyone that you are free to post here and join me! (:

1. Family.
2. Classes being over (minus finals).
3. Someone willing to just listen to me.
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

RampantDesires

I have been wearing some pretty tight grump pants lately so perhaps taking a time out for a little things life appreciation will help loosen them a bit :-)

Today I'm Thankful For ... being mobile.
1) While I might not LIKE walking all the time I am healthy and able to knock out miles of perambulation :P
2) If that isn't enough  I have access to a perfectly functional car
3) and the ability to use it to go, well, anywhere I want really. Everything that I could need or want is relatively nearby and I am indeed lucky!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Capone

I've been reading this and, why not? I have plenty of things to be thankful for today.

Today I'm Thankful For...
1) Generous and loving parents that have sacrificed so much for me
2) Good friends willing to lend me a hand when I need it
3) The inspiration to write

Arianna

This is a wonderful blog, Beautiful Mistery, thank you for creating it and for sharing! As for what I am grateful for on this stormy, depressing day...

• My improving health;
  • Having...enough (food, comfort, love, etc);
  • Having met the people that helped me build up who I am today, even those that shattered me into pieces.

Beautiful Mystery

I blame finals... >.> But I want to thank Rampant, Capone and Arianna for all posting in here! I know for myself, it certainly helps. It does take a while before the mindset clicks but if you think positively about your life if only for 5 minutes, I think that is a victory. I know myself, I get caught up in so many things that ruin my mood. I started this is hopes of learning to let things go and focus on the positives of life. (:

1. A roof over my head.
2. Appreciation of friends and others.
3. The endless love of my family.
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

AmberStarfire

I think you've created a wonderful blog here. :)

Today I'm thankful for...
1. The people in my life who help give it meaning and purpose.
2. My own resolve, unwavering. I was once naive but now I'm not, nor will I be. It seems a strange thing to be thankful for, but it's reassuring.
3. The ability to live life my own way doing what I choose (writing and art especially). It makes me happy. 

Sofia Grace

Because you're studying and I'm avoiding responsibility:

1) I'm thankful for my past.  Even the negatives.
2) I'm thankful for my job.  With the mental health field in crisis due to budget cuts, I'm thankful that our grant is being renewed for the next several years.
3) I'm thankful for all of the people I have rooting for me every single day.  I'm a lucky lady.
i am a fire
gasoline, come pour yourself all over me
we'll let this place go down in flames
only one more time

Arianna

Today has been tough, but it ended on a positive, so...

Today I am grateful for:

• Being who I am. I may hate myself most times, but in the end, I am not so bad, after all.
  • Having someone "up there" be it God, Mother Nature, Allah, Hrishna or whomever. I feel their presence every day and I know I am not alone
  • The people in my life, regardless of their role. Even those whom have hurt me and continue hurting me (because I simply cannot push them away) - I know they are a good challenge to my codependent behavior issues, so I know each one of these people are a lesson to learn.

PS: Beautiful Mystery, not sure why this feels so different from writing a gratitude list in a notebook of some sort... but it feels good. Thanks again for making this thread.

Beautiful Mystery

Thank you Amber, Sofia and Arianna for posting! I am enjoying reading what others are thankful for as well. It may or may not give me ideas...  ::) And Arianna, I am not sure but it is different. I know for me when I started this the first time, just writing them down probably wouldn't have done much. Having to send them to another person certainly helped. Perhaps sharing is the key? Either way, I am glad you are enjoying it (: I am getting down to the wire for my last final of my undergrad degree and suffice to say, I most of the time feel like I am a chicken running around with its head cut off.

1. A doctor who is willing to help me and not write off my questions/concerns.
2. A friend to help me push through the last days of my undergraduate degree.
3. A relatively easy commute to my university/anywhere in town.
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Beautiful Mystery

So I kind of sort of fell off the grid while I was on vacation and then with graduation.  ::) However, I am ready to jump back into posting! Most days have been pretty good recently but there has been more than a few times that I let things get the better of me. I noticed that there were a few days that I was harping on some things but in general, I was doing a lot better about letting some of the things go. So that is progress but I still need to continue. (:

1. Graduating!
2. A relaxing vacation to recharge my batteries so to speak.
3. Starting my new job soon.
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Beautiful Mystery

Today was the first day of my new job. I think that is the biggest thing that made a lot of things not matter today. I know others that are struggling to find jobs or don't have them so it really makes me thankful that I was able to get one.

1. Having a job.
2. A roof over my head.
3. Friends and family.
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Beautiful Mystery

Life has kept me kind of busy for the past week or so. And I have noticed when I don't do this every day, I start slipping back into the old habits. Focusing on the negatives and letting these things get to me. Isn't there a saying somewhere to make a habit, you have to do it for a month straight?  ::) Gotta make a habit of posting here more! As well, I came across this today and Step 10 is essentially what I am trying to do here in this blog. Thought I would share with all of you!

1. New friendships.
2. A clean home.
3. Beautiful weather.
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

vysethethird

Life ain't always grand, sometimes we never know what we have until it's lost. Much we take for granted, other things we never even consider going without. Sometimes we can underthink, sometimes overthink. Life gives you lemons, you make lemonade... unless it's cold out, then you might just wanna freeze the lemonade and wait for a hot day.

I am thankful for:

1. Still being able to move physically.
2. Being able to see with my eyes.
3. Still having good hearing.

Beautiful Mystery

I completely agree vysethethird. I know for me, I will complain bout like my shoulder hurting (which it has) but the thing is, I can walk. I have a strong heart/organs, I am not in the hospital and I can see. There is a lot worse that I could have besides my shoulder. Most of the time, it is hard to see that when you are in pain yourself though. This whole thing is a learning process though. There are days where I just don't think to do this and I think about all of the negatives. No one is perfect though. xD It is all about jsut taking it one day at a time.

1. Being able to further my education.
2. A working/reliable car.
3. Spending time with family.
Check A/A
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Sofia Grace

The past... -looks at watch- fifteen hours have been straight from the depths of hell, and while it's not often that I deal with unexpected depressive episodes (my Seasonal Affective Disorder makes them pretty predictable) when they do hit, they hit hard.  Posting here because I feel like I need to get some perspective, even though I'd rather just grump all day.

Today, I am thankful for:

1.  My education and the way it's shaped me as a person.
2.  My health.
3.  A co-worker I've been able to grow closer to over the past few months.
i am a fire
gasoline, come pour yourself all over me
we'll let this place go down in flames
only one more time

Oreo

I am thankful for

1. I woke up after dreaming well.
2. I have a larder full of food.
3. My smile today is not a mask.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin