Grab the book closest

Started by stormkitten, March 08, 2009, 05:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil Tanner

"Religions claims are, accordingly, irrefutable because untestable; and by this criterion, therefore meaningless."
- The God Argument, by A.C. Grayling.
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Rhedyn

Let your truth advertise for you.

blue eyes

"This often had a religious dimension as many urban protestants had been supporters of the Terror."

Insight guide to Southwest France (going on holiday there in a few weeks :) )
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting --
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

KitsuneKisses

He madw himself at home, taking a tall padded armchair and flipping his cloak over the back.

Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

Vergil Tanner

[ Oh my shit, Wheel of Time? Love that series! Only reason it isn't on my bookshelf is because I don't have a full set of my own :-( ]

"Nobody understands why overnight interest rates can have such an effect on the market, but everybody thinks they do, so they do."
- The Art of Thinking Clearly, by Rolf Dobelli.

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

KitsuneKisses

Naturally, this doctor ended up treating many skiing accidents.

Travels by Michael Crichton

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on June 22, 2014, 11:48:22 AM
[ Oh my shit, Wheel of Time? Love that series! Only reason it isn't on my bookshelf is because I don't have a full set of my own :-( ]

((I got my set rather cheap at Barns and Nobles. But yes I just started reading them a few months ago and I love it!))

Vergil Tanner

(( I know! They're awesome :D I've read all of them, including the prequel (New Spring) and they are VERY good. People didn't like the middle, more political ones, but I loved the depth and complexity they gave the world...and Memory of Light (the last one)...oh my. It was awesome. :D I envy you. You have a hell of a read ahead of you :D ))

"In length and breadth the whole wall was painted / Like the interior of that grisly place, / The mighty temple of great Mars in Thrace, / In that same cold and frosty region where / Mars to his supreme mansion may repair."
- The Canterbury Tales, by Geoffrey Chaucer.

(Yes, I know that's 5 lines, but it's technically one sentence)

gaggedLouise

"Why are the folks out there looking so secretive?"

-August Strindberg, Master Olof (classic drama, both the play that launched Strindberg as a major writer and the first modern stage piece in Swedish)

I recall that when I was a kid, the local public library in the quarter of town we lived in had a large number of novels by Upton Sinclair - I never read any of them, what impressed me was their bulk, the width each of them would take up on the shelf. Every one seemed to be 800 pages or something...I wish I'd had one of those to consult for this thread.  ;)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Linus

"I have heard of it," replied Jack.     hehe...oh well, not a very exciting one!

Rhedyn

And this is what Mike learned: 'I thought it was normal to be miserable,' he says.

~Mindfulness For Health - Vidyamala Burch and Danny Penman.

blue bunny sparkle

Now she resents them.

--Netsuke by Rikki Ducornet

P.S. I have to admit now that when I pick up a new book, I always check page 56. Just because.

Lilias

'Over 300 years ago Natural Philosophy split into science (the physically observable universe) and philosophy (the metaphysical).'

--Steven Saunders, Mind Tricks Ancient and Modern
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

matty79

"Wampum means money in Indian!"

Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron by Daniel Clowes (graphic novel)
Feel free to send me PM's about anything. Roleplays I am currently looking for partners for:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=208304.0

My On/Off's

Vill

The closest book do be: "Light List, Volume VI -- Pacific Coast and Pacific Islands." -The United States Coast Guard.

Arghh, I'm as salty as they come.

Valerian

"It was exactly 12 feet from the murder scene -- 'And we never heard a cry.'"

~Jack the Ripper: The Forgotten Victims, by Paul Begg and John Bennett
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

saphireMARIE

-Yes, he was nice.

~The Woman Who Walked Into Doors, by Roddy Doyle

gaggedLouise

"He applied the teachings of the Saudi ulema to their patrons."

-Jason Burke, Al-Qaeda ("ulema"=religious clerics and imams)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Belle33

"That changes everything."

Sentinel by Jennifer Armentrout

Ons/Offs, Stories & Poems, Currently Not Available for RP

Strangefate

"How are you Sedley?" that young wag began, after surveying his victim.

- William Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

ChicagoOkie

"Might I have a closer look at your wolf?"

Game of Thrones
Random PM's welcome.
Available for the right story.
O/Os Updated story ideas. May/9/2021
A/As
RP AD
BDSM Test

Observing Trifles

"The highest prime number coalesced quietly in a corner and hid itself away for ever."

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

Strangefate

Descartes says that it's a clear and clean world inside the mind but messy and unclear outside.

- Richard Feist, Philip K. Dick and Philosophy
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Autumn52

Rules:
* Grab the book closest to you. Now.
* Go to page 56.
* Find the 5th sentence.
* Write that sentence in the body of the message.
* Don't go looking for your favorite book, or the coolest one you have -- just grab the closest one.

Tomatoes and green peppers should be cut into smaller pieces.

- Gundel's Hungarian Cookbook 'The estate of Karoly Gundel'
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

saphireMARIE

Willy : And they'll get married, and come for a weekend.

- Arthur Miller, Death of a Salesman...

avorae

He loves war and fighting for its on sake and is perhaps the most bloodthirsty member of Crow's team.

Rifts Mercenaries by C.J. Carella
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.