News:

Main Menu

Camping/Picnic food

Started by Envious, December 18, 2011, 10:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Envious

We have the usuals like hamburgers, hotdogs, and potato salad, but what are some other foods that are easy to deal with when packing up a meal? I'm mostly looking for new make before we go or eat right out of the box/can things because I'm tired of the same ol' same ol'. Have any ideas?

Beguile's Mistress

Celery cut into 3-4 inch lengths and stuffed with cream cheese or peanut butter.

Baked beans can be cooked in the open can over the coals.

Canned green beans, waxed (yellow) beans, lima beans, red kidney beans and black beans drained and mixed together with some sliced onions (red, yellow or scallions) and Italian salad dressing or some sort of vinaigrette.

Steamed asparagus served chilled in a raspberry vinaigrette.

A Caprese-type salad made of cut up plum or Romano tomatoes and fresh mozzarella in oil.  The mozzarella comes in small balls and can be cut up in 4 or 8 chunks depending on the size.  Fresh basil leaves rolled into a tight cylinder and sliced thinly (chiffonade) is mixed in a bowl with the tomato and mozzarella and a bit of the oil from the mozzarella.

A variation of the above uses cherry tomatoes, chunks of fresh mozzarella and fresh basil leaves skewered onto tooth picks.  The basil leaves are torn in half and folded before being pushed onto the tooth pick.  You can find plastic picks in the stores.

Salsa and corn chips. 

Envious

Oh my lord, I can't believe I never thought of celery and peanut butter. Excellent addition! I'm the only one who would eat the caprese-type salad, but that asparagus title sure sounds interesting. I think I'ma try it.

Caeli

Steamed sweet corn (on the cob) is super easy to make - just boil the water, steam for a few minutes, and they're done!

Something else that's easy to make and quite portable using corn would be to bake it wrapped in aluminum foil. If you prefer it seasoned, just lightly rub some butter all around, sprinkle salt and pepper, then wrap it up in foil and bake. I don't usually cook it this way, so I don't know how long would be best, but I'm sure Google could provide you with approximate cooking times and oven temperatures.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Oniya

Mr. Oniya makes a cucumber and onion salad (sometimes adds tomatoes)with a vinagrette made of equal parts vinegar and sugar, plus dill to taste.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17