Virtua Monster Quest - Now accepting profiles!

Started by Mingnon, January 15, 2013, 03:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mingnon

Basic Idea
Let's start with what I want for it: Monster people and some sort of adventure.

These monster people can be just about anything; Demons/Incu/Succubi, Taurs, Mythic Beasts, just people with few animal features, etc. Other than that, the other races will be regular humans and perhaps Fey.

As for adventure, just generally wandering around, meeting new people and creatures, discovering new locales, and occasionally teaming up to stop a bad guy when/if the time comes. So it's pretty much a wandering around sort of Slice of Life, I guess.

Setting and Story

One side of the world will be modern-day real life. The other, on the other hand, is a parralel version of this in the early 1900s, where all denizens are monsters. Magic provides a capable substitute for electricy, so a lot of magitek is present. As well, there are more mystical versions of that time period's buildings in certain places. The magical presence has altered many areas, changing them to crystalline or glowing or any other effects.

The only gateway to the latter world is through an MMO that until the start of the RP has been in development, and an incident involving a demo at a convention center has caused the building to be closed off and the convention cancelled. A group has decided to investigate what the commotion is about, while also finally being able to play the MMO. They then get sucked into the other world with seemingly no means of escape.

Magic

Magic will be mostly raw. The only kind of magics that can be considered 'spells' are summonings, enchantments and curses. Otherwise, it is simply one willing and commanding an element. The types of magic are as shown:

-Manipulation, control over pre-existing and mostly inanimate objects. This pertains to levitating and working these items, and sometimes even other beings.

-Illusionary, creating visions and images that can be tangible with extensive practice.

-Ice, manipulation of cold air until it freezes into a solid form, as well as manipulation of water or other liquid-like or semisolid substances, like gel.

-Fire, creation of flames from seemingly nothing but air, as well as creation and manipulation of smoke and tar.

-Earth, use of the earth itself to bind others or to outright manipulation of the earth, as well as creation and control over plants.

-Darkness, drawing from the shadows and giving them a tangible form, as well as blending into the shadows themselves.

Content and Rules

The RP's content is mostly Vanilla-Exotic, but there is allowance for Bondage and some mild Non-Con. Sex scenes may end up in another thread (Or something like E-Mail or IM) so as not to distract from the main threads.

-Don't godmod of course.
-Noone dies unless the respective player says so.
-Use common sense: You can't just expect to go around guns blazing unless you want to be called and treated as a terrorist. This is true even in the other world.
-

RP Status Information:

There are 3-6 people who have snuck into the convention building. Around 10 people who vanished during the demo incident. There have also been a few reports of the MMO's development staff members who have disappeared, five months ago being the most recent. At the start of the RP, there are 12 security staff posted around the convention building.

As of right now, there are going to be two threads outside the OOC and Character Thread: The Real World, which at the start will simply have the convention building and those around/inside it, and the Other World, which at the start will have the various monster denizens and those trapped inside it. Threads may change and be added depending on progress.

Character Sheet: Send me a PM with the following filled out:

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b] (If human, you mainly just enter the world as yourself. Clicking 'create' at the main menu will simply transfer you into the other world.)
[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Eye Color:[/b]
[b]Hair:[/b]
[b]Skin/etc. Color:[/b] (Specify what is what color)
[b]Other Info:[/b] (What specific parts of a character's body should be noted here?)

[b]Weapon(s):[/b]
[b]Skills:[/b] (Magic and Weapon use being counted)

[b]Bio:[/b]

[b]On/Offs:[/b]
“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Discord RPs - Ons + Offs  - AnAs Thread
Oath of the Drake
Look for hot monsters in your area!

Wargtass

Keeping an eye on this to see where it takes off to. Have too much freetime for my own sake...  ::)
O/O

TheHangedOne

Hmm, I'd be interested in this. I do have an idea to throw your way, about the worlds. Just a random idea, really, feel free to do whatever you want with it (Including nothing).

What if we did a modern, or recent history world (some time between now and the 1900's) where everybody has grown up as monster people, dealing with magic and the like (which could allow for some interesting blends of technology and magic, like magic elevators), and one day, these strange portals start popping up.

The portals are stable (or maybe not, which could add some of the good kind of drama, if you suddenly get stuck on the other side, with no clue of how to get back), which lead from this world  to another one(s) (the utopian and/or dystopian ones).

People, being driven by curiosity, may very well end up going off to see what's on the other side, even as government agencies try to contain it and figure it out.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Mingnon

HangedMan - That does sound like an interesting idea. In fact I've even got an idea for it:

A virtual MMO has been in development, and was most recently running a demo at an internet cafe. However, some people go missing, which prompts the local government to ban access to the cafe and try to negotiate the developers into cancelling the project. However, a few people decide to sneak in to try and see what the fuss was about (As well as play the game for themselves, as they were wanting to do so since hearing about it.) However they instead get sucked into the MMO's world, only to soon enough realize that the 'MMO' was really a gate to the other world.
“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

Thrasius

Very unique and compelling ideas!  ;D 
You can definitely put me down as interested.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Mingnon on January 16, 2013, 04:37:40 AM
HangedMan - That does sound like an interesting idea. In fact I've even got an idea for it:

A virtual MMO has been in development, and was most recently running a demo at an internet cafe. However, some people go missing, which prompts the local government to ban access to the cafe and try to negotiate the developers into cancelling the project. However, a few people decide to sneak in to try and see what the fuss was about (As well as play the game for themselves, as they were wanting to do so since hearing about it.) However they instead get sucked into the MMO's world, only to soon enough realize that the 'MMO' was really a gate to the other world.
After reading that idea, I'm pretty sure I love you. My question, though, is, would this mean that the players are humans? And they end up being 'stuck' as whatever race they chose to make their character belong to?
Check out my poet tree!

Wargtass

An interesting premise. I have some ideas to explore, I'll see if they even fit at all. You'll hear from me soon!

There, coffee helps the thinker! I was spinning the whole MMO idea a bit and was thinking, wouldn't it be fun if the world which the portal leads to simply is a very MMO-like world. Where it is commonplace that people who have some trouble or other has a golden question mark over them, healthbars showwhat condition they are in and shops are filled with magic items. Suddenly a few humans are sucked into the world, people who don't look like the others, both because of their bestial nature but also because they do not possess such things as healthbars and an uncanny knowledge of where stuff they are looking for is. At least I would find that interesting.

As I spun that idea around I had a different idea for a character. Since emphasis seems to head away from the sexual, I'd like to renounce it entirely for my own part in favor of playing something different. Given the MMO-idea, I instantly thought about one of the often overlooked staples of the genre: the Epic Mount. What if a mount suddenly became so independent it refused to carry riders and demand it be seen as a part of the party? To the locals the idea would be preposterous because it is a mount, it's simply against the rules. To a human from outside it might even sound like a good idea. Perhaps someone sells it for a ridiculously low price to the human in a fraud to try earn back some of the gold they threw away on this "faulty" mount.

Or I can just play an ordinary character, just throwing out some hooks that entered my mind.
O/O

TheHangedOne

While that sounds delightfully surrealistic, Wargtass, I think that would grow old kind of quickly.
Check out my poet tree!

Mingnon

I agree that it sounds interesting, in my case it's not really something I would be going for.

Anyway, I would prefer it if everyone else were to pick the setting and whether or not they want the two worlds idea, and how it would work.
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Mingnon on January 16, 2013, 03:46:12 PM
I agree that it sounds interesting, in my case it's not really something I would be going for.

Anyway, I would prefer it if everyone else were to pick the setting and whether or not they want the two worlds idea, and how it would work.

Well, I believe the idea I most want to see has already been mentioned; specifically this one:
Quote from: Mingnon on January 16, 2013, 04:37:40 AM

Check out my poet tree!

ebpohmr

If anyone has seen either the Tron or Matrix movies, then the idea of being able to enter a digital world shouldn't seem that strange an idea...

Mingnon

Well, alright, digital world it is then. I'll fix up the first post.
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

LoveCarnage

I'm interested ;] glad I came in and checked it out. Went past it a few times.
Title is definitely something that draws people in.

Anywho, sounds fun, so I'll be keeping an eye out for this! :]

Mingnon

We are now accepting character information!

I have also updated the first page - Outside of the character sheet is some information about how the RP will start, and a few rules.
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

Wargtass

I'll have a beast in by tomorrow! For now, SLEEP!  -_-
O/O

Wargtass

Couldn't get my original idea out of my head, so here it is, working on an alternative as well.
O/O

Mingnon

I thought this was clear already: The other world isn't an MMO. The 'MMO' is really a disguised gateway.

Secondly, Wargtass; you were supposed to PM me your character sheets.
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

Wargtass

The only time I even refer to it as an MMO is in the name of the world, since there was no other name for the world than Virtua Monster Quest. Otherwise I wrote it entirely in the perspective of the other world.

Also I wasn't aware of the PM request, so I apologize.
O/O