~ Word of the Day: Feedback & Comments! ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theta Sigma

Got a little distracted so will be putting both yesterday's and today's words up tonight.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Nico

After a long time, I felt inspired enough again to write something here. ;D

Kiric Rand

Trying to challenge myself recently, to better my own writing
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

RampantDesires

Embargo isn't generally a word that I think of as exciting or really notice much in writing, but you guys set up scenes that were tense and enjoyable to read!  Awesome job brainsout, Beguile's Mistress, and Kiric Rand.

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

persephone325

CONGRATULATIONS Xandi !
You've made it into E's WotD Hall of Fame!

CONGRATULATIONS brainsout !
You've made it into E's WotD Hall of Fame!

*throws confetti about and makes a lovely cake for everyone to nibble at* Keep up the great work, you guys! <3
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

brainsout

Thx for the warm welcome and especially to all the providers of words :) I found this F&C thread the day before yesterday * smile * there are so many exciting corners on E ...

My o/o thread - My Request thread ( maybe always object to change/ under construction)

RampantDesires

Quote from: brainsout on February 17, 2018, 05:20:11 AM
Thx for the warm welcome and especially to all the providers of words :) I found this F&C thread the day before yesterday * smile * there are so many exciting corners on E ...

Quoting this for truth.  There are so many fun places to write on E, but I'm ever so glad that you guys decide to keep checking back here and participating in the WotD :D

I enjoyed your Artemis piece Ben.  The scene was set beautifully.

Refection is a kind of odd word.  My brain wants to just add an 'l' to it and make it reflection.

Brainsout your vampire submission for sanguine was also hauntingly lovely.

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

RampantDesires

So I almost didn't write anything for today's word.  It is one that has a ... weird place in my brain.  I've only ever heard it in a religious context.

I grew up Roman Catholic and on the way to being confirmed there were a lot of classes and meetings that one had to attend before their confirmation.  Along the way we had to take turns presenting a piece of scripture to the group and leading a discussion about it.  The priest called it, you guessed it, giving an exegesis.  Another girl in the group hated these exercises.  HATED THEM.  One day we were chatting before class and she muttered "gah, please don't let there be more excuse me Jesus's".

I died.

And now I can't see or hear the word without hearing her voice in my head. So that's why you get the weird satirical piece.  :D

persephone325

Quote from: RampantDesires on March 01, 2018, 02:48:02 AM
So I almost didn't write anything for today's word.  It is one that has a ... weird place in my brain.  I've only ever heard it in a religious context.

I grew up Roman Catholic and on the way to being confirmed there were a lot of classes and meetings that one had to attend before their confirmation.  Along the way we had to take turns presenting a piece of scripture to the group and leading a discussion about it.  The priest called it, you guessed it, giving an exegesis.  Another girl in the group hated these exercises.  HATED THEM.  One day we were chatting before class and she muttered "gah, please don't let there be more excuse me Jesus's".

I died.

And now I can't see or hear the word without hearing her voice in my head. So that's why you get the weird satirical piece.  :D

*giggles* As someone who was also raised Roman Catholic (but never went through confirmation), I totally get that. XD

It's like, whenever people say "May the force be with you" in reference to Star Wars, I have to bite my tongue to not say "And also with you" and reach out to shake their hand. lmao
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

RampantDesires

I too feel that pain.  Go team Lapsed Catholic.  Apparently they no longer do the 'also with you' though which means I can for sure for sure never go back to church because I'd screw things up (and possibly burst into flames at the door, but we're not going to go there) :P

Do any of you have words that are 'broken' for you?  That you or someone you know have misused in the past and now your brain just refuses to accept any other meaning?

RampantDesires

There is most assuredly nothing nondescript about your posts UnderwhelmingAlice, Shores, and brainsout. :D  I loved the twist Shores, shoelace he took from his victim indeed!  Alice you set the scene beautifully and I very much want biscuits now :-)  And I totally smiled reading the name of your bird Brainsout!

RampantDesires

Aww Xandi  your latest one made me all emotional  :'(  Thank you so much for sharing your lovely writing.

Today is another word which in no way applies to you fine people, but I hope you have fun with it in your posts!

RampantDesires

Today's WotD made me make this face :  :-\

then this one --->   ???

The hell?  I've never seen this word before in my life, and what's more reading the definition was UTTERLY NO HELP AT ALL :P

I had to go to the Oxford dictionary page to find anything that made it click.
Quote from:  For scilicetThat is to say; namely (introducing a word to be supplied or an explanation of an ambiguity).

Origin
Latin, from scire licet ‘one is permitted to know’.

It is apparently primarily a legal term thing so I don't feel too bad for having it fly entirely over my head.  Am not sure how I'm going to use it in writing, but it is certainly .. interesting.

persephone325

Quote from: RampantDesires on March 11, 2018, 11:26:28 PM
Today's WotD made me make this face :  :-\

then this one --->   ???

The hell?  I've never seen this word before in my life, and what's more reading the definition was UTTERLY NO HELP AT ALL :P

I had to go to the Oxford dictionary page to find anything that made it click.
It is apparently primarily a legal term thing so I don't feel too bad for having it fly entirely over my head.  Am not sure how I'm going to use it in writing, but it is certainly .. interesting.

Apparently, it's a word you're not permitted to know. :P lol
I don't know.

RampantDesires

I know right.  It is such an odd word.  I've decided that I'm just going to write something with "that is to say..." in it and then replace the phrase with scilicet and call it a day :P

Today's word is one that I use fairly frequently.  "Rich as Croesus" is a pretty common phrase and I've never really questioned it, but I discovered that I've been saying it wrong this whole time.  KREE-sus?  I've always said it phonetically K-row-sus.  I am too old to try and correct my brain in this and shall likely read it wrong for the rest of my life, but today has for sure been educational on the word front!

Chanticleer

Quote from: RampantDesires on March 12, 2018, 11:58:04 AM
Today's word is one that I use fairly frequently.  "Rich as Croesus" is a pretty common phrase and I've never really questioned it, but I discovered that I've been saying it wrong this whole time.  KREE-sus?  I've always said it phonetically K-row-sus.  I am too old to try and correct my brain in this and shall likely read it wrong for the rest of my life, but today has for sure been educational on the word front!

I was privileged to be corrected once on its pronunciation by a Greek waitress. I grew up in the southern U.S.  and, as best I can gather, most citizens of the U.S. don't pronounce most Greek words correctly. Which is kind of hilarious given how much Greek and Latin is woven into our language.
My current O/os (need work)

RampantDesires

"Words that Southerners Pronounce Wrong" Would be a pretty long list :-)

It is good to know that I'm not the only one who has mangled this one though and it is awesome that you got some authentic correction!

Chanticleer

Quote from: RampantDesires on March 16, 2018, 04:20:10 PM
"Words that Southerners Pronounce Wrong" Would be a pretty long list :-)

It is good to know that I'm not the only one who has mangled this one though and it is awesome that you got some authentic correction!

I'll give you that's an inarguable truth, sure, but I dare say a similar list for Northerners wouldn't exactly be short. ;)

Mind, it's not easy to find anyone north of the border who can properly reel off "chicharróns" unless they come from a south of the border family.

Or, more even-handedly, we all mispronounce everything from everywhere but here (as propahly prah-nounced "heah" in the South). ;)

RampantDesires

# hachure ?

I'll see myself out :P  But the Did you know part for today's word was kind of interesting...

QuoteDid You Know?
Hachuring is an old map-drawing technique that was largely replaced in later years by the use of contour lines, or lines that connect points of similar elevation. The word hachure, which can also be a noun referring to one of the short lines used in hachuring, comes from the French hacher, meaning "to chop up" or "hash." This French word is also the source of the verbs hash, which can mean "to chop (food, such as meat and potatoes) into small pieces," among other meanings, and hatch, meaning "to inlay with narrow bands of distinguishable material" and "to mark (something, such as a drawing or engraving) with fine closely spaced lines."

So if you like old maps, good news.   If not today's word might be a bit of a struggle to use O.o

A hachure map of San Francisco , kind of a big image

[/img]

Chanticleer

I consider this an exercise in why one shouldn't affix Greco-Latinate suffixes to French loan-words. And then I decided if it was going to be that painful, I might as well spread it around a little. ;)

RampantDesires

Look at you go, using it in like all its forms :-) Well done Chanticleer!

Chanticleer

Quote from: RampantDesires on March 19, 2018, 01:54:30 PM
Look at you go, using it in like all its forms :-) Well done Chanticleer!

All of its not-quite-right sounding forms.  XD

I'm not sure that "hachuration" is legitimate, but then most of English isn't "legitimate." It's a bastard language.

And as a pun for 'achoo,' too. :)

RampantDesires

Doh I didn't see your question about posting in here or the cafe until just now when I was going through and doing post counts :-(  Sorry Chanticleer!

You're welcome to post in either place for the word of the day, or even both places if you feel inspired to write two different ones.  The tracking and what not is done entirely separately for both of them, we have the hall of fame here which just goes strictly off number of posts here in the Non-Adult Storytelling WotD section, while they have a different system in the Cafe. 

persephone325

Quote from: RampantDesires on March 30, 2018, 01:59:30 AM
Doh I didn't see your question about posting in here or the cafe until just now when I was going through and doing post counts :-(  Sorry Chanticleer!

You're welcome to post in either place for the word of the day, or even both places if you feel inspired to write two different ones.  The tracking and what not is done entirely separately for both of them, we have the hall of fame here which just goes strictly off number of posts here in the Non-Adult Storytelling WotD section, while they have a different system in the Cafe. 

As a cafe GM, it seems to be that the WotD in the cafe is different than the one for here. Though I'm not 100% positive on that. Every time I've looked, it's been different. But I could just be losing my mind! :P
I don't know.

RampantDesires

Today's word made me laugh.  It seems ... I dunno kind of lazy really? I will never use it in writing and will default to peril/perilous.  *shrugs* But it was fun to read the history!

And I couldn't get Monty Python out of my head.  "Can't I have just a little bit of parlor?" ... "No it is too parlous.."  It doesn't work as well, but eh.