[5E] The Ostheim Irregulars! (closed)

Started by RedPhoenix, January 12, 2017, 08:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedPhoenix

UPDATE: Game is full and closed, no new characters for the time being.

Introduction

• Basic Concept: This is a 5th Edition game of Dungeons and Dragons! The player characters begin play as irregulars in the employ of a newly crowned Baroness. The PCs will navigate political treachery, fierce monsters, debauchery and magic in an effort to leave their mark on the world!
  • Swashbuckling Heroics: This setting and the characters in it are flashy, glamorous, and cinematic rather than gritty, oppressing and dour. PCs are expected to be larger than life heroes who will shape the world around them. This is not a pure smut game, but the heroes will meet lots of beautiful people in impractical outfits and fade to black scenes may occur. All sexy times are consensual. No rape, no torture. This will be a "Light:Human Small Group" game. Ons/Offs of players will be respected for any adult content, and it will be entirely possible to not engage in any at all.
  • The World is a Toybox: I think this is the best way to describe what the campaign will be like. Neither sandbox nor totally on rails, for example in the first mission the Baroness will offer several different jobs and the PCs can choose one. They won't be able to say no and betray her or decide to go be hermits in the woods. My goal is to come up with multiple fun options, but you are ultimately limited to those options.
  • Crunchy Stuff: See the house rules in the World Building Thread. Milestone leveling. GM will roll when they aren't provided to speed things along.
  • Accelerated Combat: We'll mess around with it but I'm thinking everyone submits their actions at once and we go two rounds at a time to move things hopefully much faster than normally happens on forums. We may even try doing combat on roll20 or some other live chat if we can all get together at the same time. Not going to be a big deal if this doesn't happen though.

Player Requirements
  • Newbies Welcome!: You don't need to have ever played before to join this game! I will hold your hand through building a character and explaining things! New players are encouraged to look at non-magic using classes first.
  • Books:  You will need access to the Player's Handbook, or at least enough of it to cover what you want to play.
  • Read the Setting!: You do need to read through the World Building Thread, especially the description of Ostheim and any race you want to play.
  • Characters Work Together: Characters need to be willing to stick together with the other PCs as a party and work as a team with them. 
  • Characters are Vibrant: Characters should have goals, beliefs, and care about things. What those are is up to you. As the GM I like to tell the story of the character, so the character has to be interesting enough for me to want to do this!
  • Characters are NOT. . . : apathetic smirkers, silent badasses, grimly dark dark grimlies, rape bait, fetishes, or tragedies in training.
  • Keep the Drama IC: Players must be willing to keep things upbeat and not let OOC get dragged down with topics best left for Bad & Ugly. Leave your refusal to play with others or with certain types of members at the door. (Do not take any of this to mean that your sexual o/os will not be respected!)
  • Be Able To Post!: While I want characters to be interesting and have personality, this is a tabletop RPG and not a writing challenge. Being able to get your thoughts across reliably enough that I can move the game along is preferable to getting a glorious novella every other week.

Audition Process!
  • Read the World Building Thread and think of the type of character you'd like to play!
  • Fill out the form below with your concept and basics, PM to me! Remember, your goal is to make an interesting character that I want to tell the story of!
  • Have a lovely talk with me about your character!
  • Once the concept is good, we'll build your sheet together. I know many of you could probably make your sheet from scratch in a few minutes, but doing it together helps me get to know the character more and avoids the unpleasant 'whoops I forgot to give myself...' later, and also makes sure there are no stumblings over house rules.
  • Once the character is done, we'll do a one shot adventure that is basically the audition. This will show me the posting rate we can do, what sort of posts you write etc.
  • After that you will either be offered a spot with a group, a one on one, or told sorry this isn't working (although tbh I suspect if it isn't working we'll know long before the end of the one shot, which is sort of the whole point).

Player:
Have you read the rules?:
Have you read the Worldbuilding thread?:
What Size Group do you think is best for you?: (solo, small group, big group? are there any you won't play?)
Time Zone:
Posting Rate: (be realistic about what you can commit to, but remember I'm not asking for Shakespeare)
Expectations: (Ramble all you like about what you're expecting from this game. Be as detailed as you like. Be sure to cover whether you want adult scenes or not, if so what sort and where your limits are, whether you prefer fighting, exploring, social interactions, etc).
Player Limits: (Is there anything you don't want to be a part of? Be very clear on this.)
Questions or Feedback: (Any questions about how the game works, any feedback on the setting, anything you think is missing etc?)

Character Name:
Race: (include subrace if applicable)
Class:
Background (keep in mind your race's suggested backgrounds)

History
(A short history of your character! A few paragraphs is fine, but be sure to cover - Family, early life, how you became your class, your background, etc. This should end with your joining the Baroness's Irregulars, either through recruitment, blackmail, to settle a debt, or some other reason. A basic idea that we'll flesh out together is fine, or you can go nuts and write the whole thing! Up to you!

Your character can be from anywhere in Ostheim or close nearby, but should have spent the majority of their recent life in Ostheim and ended up in Bijan no later than about six months ago. You may suggest connections with NPCs described in the World Building thread, and I will happily discuss your options for that as we work on your character!)

Beliefs and Goals
(Not quite alignment, what does your character believe in? What is their philosophy? Speak in general terms, obviously there are always exceptions. What do they want to make of their life? How would they change the world? No evil maniacs or anything that would keep your character from working with the rest of the party. What gods do they pray to and worship? No matter where they are from they may worship any god.)

[float=left][img height=300 padding=10]http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2dmllOIyX1qzdtsyo1_540.jpg[/img][/float]
[b]Player:[/b]
[b]Have you read the rules?:[/b]
[b]Have you read the Worldbuilding thread?:[/b]
[b]What Size Group do you think is best for you?:[/b] (solo, small group, big group? are there any you won't play?)
[b]Time Zone:[/b]
[b]Posting Rate:[/b] (be realistic about what you can commit to, but remember I'm not asking for Shakespeare)
[b]Expectations:[/b] (Ramble all you like about what you're expecting from this game. Be as detailed as you like. Be sure to cover whether you want adult scenes or not, if so what sort and where your limits are, whether you prefer fighting, exploring, social interactions, etc).
[b]Player Limits:[/b] (Is there anything you don't want to be a part of? Be very clear on this.)
[b]Questions or Feedback:[/b] (Any questions about how the game works, any feedback on the setting, anything you think is missing etc?)

[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b] (include subrace if applicable)
[b]Class:[/b]
[b]Background[/b] (keep in mind your race's suggested backgrounds)

[b]History[/b]
(A short history of your character! A few paragraphs is fine, but be sure to cover - Family, early life, how you became your class, your background, etc. This should end with your joining the Baroness's Irregulars, either through recruitment, blackmail, to settle a debt, or some other reason. A basic idea that we'll flesh out together is fine, or you can go nuts and write the whole thing! Up to you!

Your character can be from anywhere in Ostheim or close nearby, but should have spent the majority of their recent life in Ostheim and ended up in Bijan no later than about six months ago. You may suggest connections with NPCs described in the World Building thread, and I will happily discuss your options for that as we work on your character!)

[b]Beliefs and Goals
[/b](Not quite alignment, what does your character believe in? What is their philosophy? Speak in general terms, obviously there are always exceptions. What do they want to make of their life? How would they change the world? No evil maniacs or anything that would keep your character from working with the rest of the party. What gods do they pray to and worship? No matter where they are from they may worship any god.)

Questions and comments are encouraged in this thread or by PM!

Ostheim Threads

Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Blythe

YAAASSSSSS

(...which is to say that I'm interested, and I'll have the concept to you either tonight or tomorrow <3 )

Geeklet

You know, I was mildly interested before, but now seeing Blythe throw his name into the hat, that makes me want it even more.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Blythe on January 12, 2017, 08:20:27 PM
YAAASSSSSS

(...which is to say that I'm interested, and I'll have the concept to you either tonight or tomorrow <3 )

No rush or anything! I expect it will take people time to read through the world building and think about their guys! =)

Quote from: Geeklet on January 12, 2017, 08:28:59 PM
You know, I was mildly interested before, but now seeing Blythe throw his name into the hat, that makes me want it even more.

Haha hey I'll take what I can get! =)

NinjaWeazel

ugghhhh  gonna make me learn 5e. you monster :(

RedPhoenix

Crash

I really want to play in a 5E game. I run one at home but want to plaaaaay!

and hi Red!

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Crash on January 12, 2017, 08:58:52 PM
I really want to play in a 5E game. I run one at home but want to plaaaaay!

and hi Red!

Playing is fun! :D

Hi Crash! :D

Devil's Advocate

Definitely interested. Seems like a detailed outline. I will have to consider my choices.... Hmmm.
O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

RedPhoenix

Yup, there's a lot to read through so I'm not expecting anything right away!

Wispyr

-Drops a slip- Tentative interest. Reading the setting info now.

GranoxFirewind

Throwing my hat onto the rack. I've always wanted to try 5E and this looks like a good chance to get into that door!

Dormouse

I'm new to 5E, but I'm possibly interested. I'll need to give the setting a more through read but I'm liking what I'm seeing!
"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Wispyr on January 12, 2017, 09:38:05 PM
-Drops a slip- Tentative interest. Reading the setting info now.

Hope you like it! :)

Quote from: GranoxFirewind on January 12, 2017, 09:43:03 PM
Throwing my hat onto the rack. I've always wanted to try 5E and this looks like a good chance to get into that door!

I hope it will be too! :D

Quote from: Dormouse on January 12, 2017, 09:53:50 PM
I'm new to 5E, but I'm possibly interested. I'll need to give the setting a more through read but I'm liking what I'm seeing!

Awesome! :)

If anyone has any questions or concerns or wants to bounce vague concepts off me before you fill out the form, I am more than happy to take PMs!

Wispyr

Red, for the purposes of tailoring a character's history, what level will characters be starting at?

AribethAmkiir

Interested.  Never played 5E and I'm excited to see a "newbie" friendly game pop up.  Going to read the world building info now, and hopefully get a PM to you tomorrow.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Wispyr on January 12, 2017, 11:07:44 PM
Red, for the purposes of tailoring a character's history, what level will characters be starting at?

Level 1. I really should have said that somewhere, I'll edit it into the house rules. Thanks for pointing that out! :)

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on January 12, 2017, 11:07:59 PM
Interested.  Never played 5E and I'm excited to see a "newbie" friendly game pop up.  Going to read the world building info now, and hopefully get a PM to you tomorrow.

Awesome! :D

Rummy Tum Tum

Oh shit, I didn't know this was up already! ;D

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Rummy Tum Tum on January 12, 2017, 11:19:51 PM
Oh shit, I didn't know this was up already! ;D

I just posted it three hours ago! :D

Rummy Tum Tum

Wow, these are some quick responses...

Crash

Quote from: Rummy Tum Tum on January 12, 2017, 11:39:11 PM
Wow, these are some quick responses...

There are certain people on E that run games that I will always check in on.  Red is one of them.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Wispyr

I sent a thing. Hope it works with your brain here.  ;D

Crash

Quote from: Wispyr on January 12, 2017, 11:50:35 PM
I sent a thing. Hope it works with your brain here.  ;D

Brain things....ewwwww.

Wispyr

Quote from: Crash on January 12, 2017, 11:51:56 PM
Brain things....ewwwww.
Right? They're so... Gooey. No one needs that.

RedPhoenix

Speaking of brains, mine is officially mush. I just sent some barely coherent replies and after doing so I see I have more PMs! This is good and makes me happy, but I am not reading them tonight because I will try to respond and I am too sleepy for that! I will get to unanswered PMs tomorrow! :)

Love all the enthusiasm so far guys! :D

Quote from: Crash on January 12, 2017, 11:48:52 PM
There are certain people on E that run games that I will always check in on.  Red is one of them.

Also thank you Crash. <3