Want to try new systems.

Started by RSGAlex, November 01, 2016, 01:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSGAlex

There are, in fact, at least three (3) people for each, if nobody drops out in the next few minutes.

And CarnivalOfTheGoat, you can pitch some ideas while I open up the book and do a little reading.

EDIT: Had a thought for a Ceremony. Probably plays up the Greek/Eastern Roman or the Venice mention bits a bit much, but you tell me.

Dark Seeing Ceremony is traditionally performed by a cave or a symbolically similar place. The participants exhale completely before entering the cave, and then doing three rituals of three (the oldest form is slapping one's hands on the ground three times, turning around without standing three times, and inhaling while saying a focusing word three times) before exiting to talk about the vision that danced before their eyes in the dark.

The most common ill vision is of a superior with a torn legal writ bearing the participant's name or visage. It foretells a misfortune that will befall the person on the meeting points of their section of the world and another (so a guildsman may find that a tool breaks while none are available to replace it, or a noble may find that in enacting judgment their memory has erred). The misfortune may be avoided, and often is, but only with great effort (so a loss of mood to represent the focus needed).

The most common good vision is of the sun and moon rising upon a thing normally associated with a facet of the person's life. It foretells a very specific promise of success in a specific part of one's life. (The next history or inspiration you use is considered a point higher.)
Signature Recreation Pending....

Downloading Drivers 1 of @*.

Please wait warmly.

Thufir Hawat

We have three people expressing interest already, so I guess we can go from here.

CotG, how about your diplomate sailing to the place on my ship? I'm still picking where I am from, but I'm sure I could have passed by.
Since the week before I posted interest, I was telling to a friend on Skype that SK is one of the three games I don't expect to ever play, I haven't really read the document in a while... >:)
That said, I expect to have the answer, with a rough character draft, today or tomorrow at latest.

Finally, to our esteemed GM, I should say I've PMed more people than that, so we might yet get to your preferred number ;D!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Muse

*Waves* 

Good morning, Carney, long time.  hwo are you? 

Lynx, do you want to play your Brahm Stohker characteR?  OR do you have a difernet idea? 

Atarn, what are you thinking of? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Thufir Hawat

Long time no see, Muse, indeed >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Muse

*Grins*  Having fun, Thufir? 

Hehe.  I probably shouldn't take over this thread with social chat.  Sorry. 

(As a hint, thouhg, CotG always tells me the short form of her name she prefers is Carney.  (Sp.)  ) 

So, this other game RSG will be runnig.  What is it?   What are people in it like? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Lynx181

Yes I wanna play my bram stoker, I'm just...shy I guess...and I am intimidated by changing sheets...

Muse

*Smiles*  You're doing fine, Lynx. 

Let's see, who all in here do I already know? 

Lynx, the sexy one is Carney.  She's awesome.  Knows pretty much all the games I do and then some.  She was one of the people who introduced me to eclipse phase, for example. 

RSG is our GM.  I'm sure I've played things he's run before, but I'm sleep deprived right now and can't sort them out. 

The guy with the wolf eye is Thufir. 

You know Atarn. 

Who all am I missing? 

Anyways, relax and give everyone a wave.  They're all friendly digimon here.  :) 

Oh, that's right!  RSG put us up a sheet template to use.  Um... 

RSG, do we coppy/paste that out?  Or something else? 

Sorry if I said anything stupid.  The sun's rising and I need to flutter back into my nice, dark, cozy bed.  (We Tenshi are nocturnal digiimon. 

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Muse on November 04, 2016, 08:15:54 AM
*Grins*  Having fun, Thufir? 

Hehe.  I probably shouldn't take over this thread with social chat.  Sorry. 

(As a hint, thouhg, CotG always tells me the short form of her name she prefers is Carney.  (Sp.)  ) 

So, this other game RSG will be runnig.  What is it?   What are people in it like?
Thanks, Muse, but I really can't call her that, and I've told her why... ;D

The name of said game is Spellbound Kingdoms and...do you want the long answer or the short answer?
Short answer: the world is probably on top of the list of fantasy worlds I'd really wouldn't want to live in, myself. It's magical, cruel, and worst of all, it cares about your feelings.
Yes, I'm talking about the world. Strong feelings lead to magic surges, which might upturn the existing order, or destroy all life in the vicinity.
The people are such that they can live together, given the above. This is achieved by the nobility regulating the use of magic, and teaching the children, even of commoners, to not have strong, pure feelings. They love what they hate, hate what they love, emerge from the nobles' schools jaded, if they emerge at all. Oh, and the practice of magic is strictly regulated, or rather, strictly punished.

Long answer: http://www.spellboundkingdoms.com/setting.html
Have fun reading it, try to avoid having nightmares >:). Too vivid dreams can actually mark you as a hopeless case, to be dealt with!

Oh, and I'm going to be either a Prince of the Wolves, or a Nineblood Axeman, yes. Why did you ask :P?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

RSGAlex

Quote from: Muse on November 04, 2016, 09:12:19 AM
   *Smiles*  You're doing fine, Lynx. 

Let's see, who all in here do I already know? 

Lynx, the sexy one is Carney.  She's awesome.  Knows pretty much all the games I do and then some.  She was one of the people who introduced me to eclipse phase, for example. 

RSG is our GM.  I'm sure I've played things he's run before, but I'm sleep deprived right now and can't sort them out. 

The guy with the wolf eye is Thufir. 

You know Atarn. 

Who all am I missing? 

Anyways, relax and give everyone a wave.  They're all friendly digimon here.  :) 

Oh, that's right!  RSG put us up a sheet template to use.  Um... 

RSG, do we coppy/paste that out?  Or something else? 

Sorry if I said anything stupid.  The sun's rising and I need to flutter back into my nice, dark, cozy bed.  (We Tenshi are nocturnal digiimon.

The excel sheet is for if you want a copy to do the (admittedly small) bits of math for you. IIRC it should be the updated one and if not, I know who has it and can get it copied over nice and quick.

And any format is good.

Please wait warmly.

Thufir Hawat

Are we going to use Improv optional rules? I vote enthusiastically yes, but wanted to check.

Also, what is the local language, because I simply can't find that?

P.S.: Muse, my feelings are hurt :P. You didn't even think to mention my in the "knows way too many games" category alongside CotG?

P.P.S.: My feelings would be even more hurt if you thought the previous line is serious ;D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

RSGAlex

With the exception of duel initiative for more than two combatants, I'd want to try the optional stuff at least once. Probably in an opt-outable kind of scene. And most of the larger kingdoms have a unified tongue, while the lesser ones tend to have at least a high tongue for official writings and a low tongue that most speak. This particular Doomhold was disorganized enough that the common tongue is a variation on Low Avedish, with the high tongue being a pretension at rules. The power of Thyre to the north means that many have at least enough command of the language to do some bartering with the merchants.

Please wait warmly.

Atarn

I'd probably do a Chimera or...The Light Bending guys. THeir name eludes me atm.
A sudden storm in
    summer, the brightest
    star at night; an
    opportunist rogue,
    confessor of sins
    a master of hearts
    a dominant lover

Muse

That's the Angel Halo. 

The more I look at them, the more they don't realy fit Arima.  If you would rather have the only Angel Halo, I'll happily seek out a diferetn power set. 

Atarn

A sudden storm in
    summer, the brightest
    star at night; an
    opportunist rogue,
    confessor of sins
    a master of hearts
    a dominant lover

RSGAlex

You can have up to three Syndromes. Just a lower resting cap, and some choice restrictions greet you as you add on.

And different mixes can get such interesting results.

Please wait warmly.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: RSGAlex on November 04, 2016, 07:50:41 PM
With the exception of duel initiative for more than two combatants, I'd want to try the optional stuff at least once. Probably in an opt-outable kind of scene. And most of the larger kingdoms have a unified tongue, while the lesser ones tend to have at least a high tongue for official writings and a low tongue that most speak. This particular Doomhold was disorganized enough that the common tongue is a variation on Low Avedish, with the high tongue being a pretension at rules. The power of Thyre to the north means that many have at least enough command of the language to do some bartering with the merchants.
Sounds good, and I'm more and more tempted to play an Axemen in disguise from Thyre >:). Any thoughts on culture lines and Doom level?

(I assume we wouldn't be the most powerful organisation at the start, so we can't set the third line, yet :P).

Also, I'm still picking between Prince of the Wolves and Nineblood. If I take the Prince of Wolves, can I get the Savage style as an Exotica, as my starting style?
I need to think a bit more about it either way, but it might be a fun and unexpected choice, I believe ;D!

P.S.: On second thought, maybe it's better to avoid that option. It would introduce a thematic disbalance with the general swashbuckling theme.
Then again, the Kingoms totally need something like a voice of reason, which would be hard-pressed to come from people who did grow up in the normal system.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

RSGAlex

It's funny that you should mention the third line.

The current first culture line is : All is in chaos, all's for purchase - The king's house is unable to effectively command the lands; a character can not lose more than one point of Mood from cultural differences.

The current second culture line is : Groups deciding to exploit the new lands created gain one efficiency.

The king's house gives the culture line of : A new king and a new line must be found! Histories and skills related to lineages (and history) are increased by one.

And you could take Savage Style as an Exotica. Although it may be more efficient to take it as your normal fighting style or a Martial Bloodline.

Please wait warmly.

Thufir Hawat

Martial Bloodline doesn't cut it, Traders have no Talents at 1st level, not to mention it would be weird to focus on Martial talents :P. But I could take it at the neophyte level, and use the Exotica to gain Swashbuckler at the apprentice level.

Alternatively, I could drop the Prince idea and go for either Swashbuckler at Novice and a Spell style, or Swaschbuckler at Apprentice with some other style at novice.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Thufir Hawat

Aalt Draft 1
Aalt von Beck (tentative family name)
Male, Nineblood
Trader 1st level

• Strength 6

• Quickness 7

• Reason 4

• Charisma 8

• Magic 6 (d8 when resisting magic).

• Heart 5, 6 with human bonus.
Body 5
Mood
Reputation 0

To the Heart
Exotica (Swaschbuckler)

Parapet Defence n
Swaschbuckler a

Histories:
Spent St. Vartan’s Eve in Rithaign celebrating with the twin daughters of Duke Tumenant (4 is the max at this moment, right?)
(Yes, couldn't resist taking the one from the book).
Alternative History: Accepted a secret Axeman mission to establish alliances and footholds elsewhere (4)
(Actually, I like that one better, but the first is so fitting for E. it's hard to resist ;D).

Inspirations:
Being Glamourous 1
Destroying the Social Order 2
True Love 3 (suggestions about subject?)

Items: Obviously my Trader isn't rich enough to own a Roofsword? Man what?
OK, I can take that. But where's the price for, you know, regular baskethilt swords and the like? I just want a palasz for my swaschbuckling weapon...
Oh, screw it:

Falchion (wealth level 3)
Magnate wardrobe (wealth level 3)
Wight Blood (wealth level 3)

Excellent trader clothes (2)
Stiletto (2)
Alchemist fire (2)

Suggestions, comments and so forth are welcome.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: RSGAlex on November 04, 2016, 03:37:30 AM
EDIT: Had a thought for a Ceremony. Probably plays up the Greek/Eastern Roman or the Venice mention bits a bit much, but you tell me.

Dark Seeing Ceremony is traditionally performed by a cave or a symbolically similar place. The participants exhale completely before entering the cave, and then doing three rituals of three (the oldest form is slapping one's hands on the ground three times, turning around without standing three times, and inhaling while saying a focusing word three times) before exiting to talk about the vision that danced before their eyes in the dark.

The most common ill vision is of a superior with a torn legal writ bearing the participant's name or visage. It foretells a misfortune that will befall the person on the meeting points of their section of the world and another (so a guildsman may find that a tool breaks while none are available to replace it, or a noble may find that in enacting judgment their memory has erred). The misfortune may be avoided, and often is, but only with great effort (so a loss of mood to represent the focus needed).

The most common good vision is of the sun and moon rising upon a thing normally associated with a facet of the person's life. It foretells a very specific promise of success in a specific part of one's life. (The next history or inspiration you use is considered a point higher.)

I noticed that the most detailed ceremonies in the book don't rely on private visions but on very publicly visible results of magic interfering with the Ceremony (the combusting or water-levitated stones of "Stones in the Sea," and the appearance of an eyeball or the wine freezing or catching fire during "Petals and Wine"). I had a thought for a Ceremony as well, but it was actually playing less towards "what real-world culture does this represent the most?" and more towards the "decadent Nahalites and their strange ideas about recklessness and hyper-lawfulness at the same time." It mentions narghiles and opiates, and there are plenty of desert-tribe groups which have mingled serious religions with drug experiences in our legendry, so between having recently begun to re-read The Hobbit the other night and then studying up on Shattered Kingdoms I had the idea of a challenge involving smoke tricks. The smoke during a Ceremony of Dust and Smoke tends to hang in the air without dissipating until the end of the Ceremony, at which point it falls suddenly to the ground as if it were a cascade of sand and vanishes on impact rather than splashing or piling up. The participants take turns, blowing smoke rings or otherwise sculpting the smoke from a shared narghile which is charged with a mixture of opiates and rare spices, and which has strange effects on vision and thinking as the Ceremony is prolonged (so "passing over" events as mentioned on p.210 begins to take its toll on the participants' judgement: for every omen a participant chooses to pass over, they lose a temporary point of Inspiration for the remainder of that day). Sharing the smoke from mouth to mouth can bind the two participants to a single outcome...But this means they must trust each other, as either could immediately choose an omen which might benefit themselves more than the other...Or, if both pass over omens, it could affect both participants Inspirations significantly in the short term.

I decided to make the outcomes of the fortunes about vision and awareness, coincidentally enough.

J - 1 - As it is being sculpted and the last breath is exhaled, the golden smoke blackens into the form of a terrible bird of prey, which launches itself at the participant who chose the omen. The smoke vulture strikes fear into that participants heart. - Something important has been taken from them, but what, and by who?
2 - 2 - The smokey sculpture darkens to the deep brown haze of a desert storm and is suddenly drawn into the lungs of one of the participants with a single breath. - A darkness rides on your heart, a feeling that something you felt was one of the great strengths of your past choices suddenly seems as if perhaps it were false; one of your Histories is reduced to half its value (rounded down) for the next week.
3 - 3 - The smoke becomes a clinging gray mist that shrouds a participants' eyes, making the world a place they hesitate to trust. - Their view of the world, past and present is filled with shadows and mist. Take 2 Reason and 2 Quickness damage.
4 - 6 - The smoke seethes and the sculpture is twisted and none can remember the shape it took. - How did that happen again? Does your memory play you false? Lose 1 point from one of your Histories for two weeks or until the next Ceremony.
7-10 - The smoke sculpture takes the form of a caravan limned in pale gold. - Gain the benefits of 1 Wealth level for purposes of negotiation until the next sun sets or for the purchase of a single item (not a Building or a Transport).
11 - The shape of a mighty lord or (perhaps!) even a king takes its gold form in the smoke. - Someone of power has noticed you favorably. But who?
12 - The smoke whirls into the shape of a glittering, golden phoenix which wings swiftly around the two participants before vaulting into the sky and exploding into golden mist. - For the next week (or until your next Ceremony) gain a bonus point of Heart...This is not a refresh, it is a "real, but temporary" point. If it carries your Heart to the next die size, then you are favored indeed! For the same time period, gain a single one-point Inspiration which can only be used once before it vanishes.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 04, 2016, 01:23:21 PM
Are we going to use Improv optional rules? I vote enthusiastically yes, but wanted to check.
Quote from: RSGAlex on November 04, 2016, 07:50:41 PM

I really would love to try the Improv rules. They seem like they'd work great in a forum setting.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 04, 2016, 07:23:36 AMCotG, how about your diplomate sailing to the place on my ship? I'm still picking where I am from, but I'm sure I could have passed by.

That might well work! I think it depends a little on how "just arrived" we are? Have we been there a short time, or no?

Thufir, I can't find the post now, but you mentioned something about your character not being able to afford a roofsword. I can't find any kind of WBL rules in this game? It seems a little peculiar that a level 4 Noble (presumably therefore someone a fair cut above those lowest of the low nobility who are unlanded, of no account, and whose titles are sneered at by anyone except a commoner) can barely afford to rent or own a cottage, or even some kind of "lesser" noble wardrobe, much less a ball gown! I kind of feel like some of these things should have more than one level of quality, reflected by more than one level of expense. Or, because Wealth Level is "ongoing" perhaps a cash amount to expend to represent WBL?

I am strongly considering taking were-magic and making it A Thing for her, in terms of a Reputation (perhaps something along the lines of Devious Weretigress from a Decadent Land). I'm not sure if that works correctly, as I could see it being either a positive or a negative depending on whose point of view...Or is that a reasonable idea for some reputations?

Also: Heya Muse! Nice to see you.
Spellbound Kingdoms has a very curious setting, it's dark the way the BEST SCARIEST fairy tales are dark. I'm talking entire kingdoms put to sleep, love stolen from entire populations by their rulers, magic which has claws and teeth and will turn on its user if they aren't careful...mages who abuse their power too often are quite likely to be destroyed by their own magic. Your characters love, hate, history, inspirations all affect melee combat, and magic, and social combat (an amazing system idea!). True love can literally KEEP YOU ALIVE in this game. In order to truly destroy a powerful hero, or villain, it is not enough to stab them to the heart... No, you must crush their world, destroy their hopes, and let them see it all fall down in front of them through their tears before you give the death blow. It encourages swashbuckling behavior. It's...Well, it's the ultimate fantasy movie waiting to happen, in my opinion.

TL;DR an RPG where your characters' hopes, aspirations, feelings and emotions can quite literally change the world in a dark setting where the common folk fear magic, fear to hope, fear to love, fear to dream. What's not to love?

EDIT: Does 1st level count as a "name level" for purposes of Multiclassing (p.75)

EDITEDIT: I noticed that the combat primer pdf is apparently '1st edition' and not the edition of SK on DriveThruRPG. Can we keep the old "Trained vs. Mooks" rule from p.12 of the combat primer pdf for purposes of dramatic swashbucklery and whatnot?
Trained vs. Mooks
Trained vs. Mooks
If you are trained in a combat style and attack someone who is not, you do one extra point of damage on a hit. “Trained” means that you know a combat style at the apprentice level or higher. This, combined with the weapon and armor rule (red  shirts do not make good armor!), means that mooks can go down in one or two hits. It also means that some PCs are mooks – in combat, if not elsewhere. So be careful!

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on November 05, 2016, 10:56:23 PM
I noticed that the most detailed ceremonies in the book don't rely on private visions but on very publicly visible results of magic interfering with the Ceremony (the combusting or water-levitated stones of "Stones in the Sea," and the appearance of an eyeball or the wine freezing or catching fire during "Petals and Wine"). I had a thought for a Ceremony as well, but it was actually playing less towards "what real-world culture does this represent the most?" and more towards the "decadent Nahalites and their strange ideas about recklessness and hyper-lawfulness at the same time." It mentions narghiles and opiates, and there are plenty of desert-tribe groups which have mingled serious religions with drug experiences in our legendry, so between having recently begun to re-read The Hobbit the other night and then studying up on Shattered Kingdoms I had the idea of a challenge involving smoke tricks. The smoke during a Ceremony of Dust and Smoke tends to hang in the air without dissipating until the end of the Ceremony, at which point it falls suddenly to the ground as if it were a cascade of sand and vanishes on impact rather than splashing or piling up. The participants take turns, blowing smoke rings or otherwise sculpting the smoke from a shared narghile which is charged with a mixture of opiates and rare spices, and which has strange effects on vision and thinking as the Ceremony is prolonged (so "passing over" events as mentioned on p.210 begins to take its toll on the participants' judgement: for every omen a participant chooses to pass over, they lose a temporary point of Inspiration for the remainder of that day). Sharing the smoke from mouth to mouth can bind the two participants to a single outcome...But this means they must trust each other, as either could immediately choose an omen which might benefit themselves more than the other...Or, if both pass over omens, it could affect both participants Inspirations significantly in the short term.

I decided to make the outcomes of the fortunes about vision and awareness, coincidentally enough.
Care to have a smoke together :P?
And will we compete who can outblow the other 8-)?

QuoteI really would love to try the Improv rules. They seem like they'd work great in a forum setting.
Well, I'm sure there would be opportunities...

QuoteThat might well work! I think it depends a little on how "just arrived" we are? Have we been there a short time, or no?
I guess we should ask the GM. No matter, we could have easily arrived together, regardless of when that happened.

QuoteThufir, I can't find the post now, but you mentioned something about your character not being able to afford a roofsword. I can't find any kind of WBL rules in this game?
What is WBL? Anyway, the rules are at pp. 55 and the following, as well as on pp. 134 and the following.

QuoteIt seems a little peculiar that a level 4 Noble (presumably therefore someone a fair cut above those lowest of the low nobility who are unlanded, of no account, and whose titles are sneered at by anyone except a commoner) can barely afford to rent or own a cottage, or even some kind of "lesser" noble wardrobe, much less a ball gown! I kind of feel like some of these things should have more than one level of quality, reflected by more than one level of expense. Or, because Wealth Level is "ongoing" perhaps a cash amount to expend to represent WBL?
Why "level 4" Noble? I thought we start at level 1, unless I've missed something?
Anyway, it is explicitly noted that yes, there are different levels of craftsmanship, already on p. 134, as follows.
QuoteThe items listed are typical, not definitive.
There's nothing stopping you from having a Quality 10 hauberk made from the finest steel by the finest smiths. Simply adjust the wealth level as the GM and the group judge.

QuoteI am strongly considering taking were-magic and making it A Thing for her, in terms of a Reputation (perhaps something along the lines of Devious Weretigress from a Decadent Land). I'm not sure if that works correctly, as I could see it being either a positive or a negative depending on whose point of view...Or is that a reasonable idea for some reputations?
All the example Reputations I remember in the book have been like that. Check the entry on Court Sword: "The Bane of the villagers of Region X", a rather good Reputation for a noble, might help you intimidating the villagers. It might help your Court Sword, too, maybe even against a noble of that region. But I can't see it being anything but an impediment to finding love among the villagers... ;D

QuoteSpellbound Kingdoms has a very curious setting, it's dark the way the BEST SCARIEST fairy tales are dark. I'm talking entire kingdoms put to sleep, love stolen from entire populations by their rulers, magic which has claws and teeth and will turn on its user if they aren't careful...mages who abuse their power too often are quite likely to be destroyed by their own magic. Your characters love, hate, history, inspirations all affect melee combat, and magic, and social combat (an amazing system idea!). True love can literally KEEP YOU ALIVE in this game. In order to truly destroy a powerful hero, or villain, it is not enough to stab them to the heart... No, you must crush their world, destroy their hopes, and let them see it all fall down in front of them through their tears before you give the death blow. It encourages swashbuckling behavior. It's...Well, it's the ultimate fantasy movie waiting to happen, in my opinion.
Yes. It's what Exalted with Heroic Mortals would have been if you had to first defeat all enemies in social combat or otherwise drain them of Willpower... >:)

QuoteEDIT: Does 1st level count as a "name level" for purposes of Multiclassing (p.75)
Technically, I think if you have a title next to it, it should. I certainly get an Exotica on it.

QuoteEDITEDIT: I noticed that the combat primer pdf is apparently '1st edition' and not the edition of SK on DriveThruRPG. Can we keep the old "Trained vs. Mooks" rule from p.12 of the combat primer pdf for purposes of dramatic swashbucklery and whatnot?
Trained vs. Mooks
Trained vs. Mooks
If you are trained in a combat style and attack someone who is not, you do one extra point of damage on a hit. “Trained” means that you know a combat style at the apprentice level or higher. This, combined with the weapon and armor rule (red  shirts do not make good armor!), means that mooks can go down in one or two hits. It also means that some PCs are mooks – in combat, if not elsewhere. So be careful!
I'd rather tie that to the Inspirations than the skill, but I'm not against it. It seems like a rule that wouldn't come up often, anyways. I mean, how many Cardinal's Guards are there that aren't even apprentices in a fencing or fencing and shooting style?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 06, 2016, 09:11:54 AM
Care to have a smoke together :P?
And will we compete who can outblow the other 8-)?

What happens in Azenahal probably doesn't stay in Azenahal  ::), but hey, first attempted hack on this game system...A little more about the legerdemain itself as far as being fitting, and how well did I judge the approximate values of trouble present in the examples available, would be useful. ;)

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 06, 2016, 09:11:54 AMWhat is WBL? Anyway, the rules are at pp. 55 and the following, as well as on pp. 134 and the following.

In 2.0/3.0/3.5/Pathfinder/4.0/5.0 and (by influence) other internet discussion of level-based games, it's the commonly accepted acronym for "Wealth-By-Level." I.E., if you're starting a fourth level character, how much more gold/geardo they have than a first level character? While there are quite nicely laid out tables for where the characters' capabilities are at a given level, I couldn't find any such provisions regarding expected changes in wealth.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 06, 2016, 09:11:54 AMWhy "level 4" Noble? I thought we start at level 1, unless I've missed something?

You did. As follows:

Quote from: RSGAlex on November 01, 2016, 01:10:49 AM
So, the spookiest time of the year has passed, and I'm feeling like I want to do something more here. Something frightening.

I'm going to see if there's interested players that want to try to systems I've. NEVER. RUN. Before.

The first one is called Spellbound Kingdoms. Now, I'd give some superlatives, but there's a lack of other near-Renaisance styled fantasy games, so let's say that it's a good game that's some organization issues away from being really good or great. Magic's a bit between High and Low fantasy, there's legitimate feats of great architecture and engineering (which you can make at high levels of Engineer), and just two generations ago you had the equivalent of Luther's Theses to not only upset the standing balance between the High and Low Gods, but also to spark the idea of the importance of all humans (and trolls). Oh, and it's about the only fantasy game I can think of that has but two species in it. In this case humans (with four types, two naturally occurring, two made with magic) and trolls (two kinds, one just kinda got smuggled in for reasons that none knoweth).

The idea would be to have the characters be moderately experience (level 3 or 4) people who were in one of the Doomhold lands when the king finished a mad plan and ripped his land free of the bones of the earth and made a great island with the bits of mountain carried along. Unfortunately, in addition to angering a great number of nobles, merchants, and soldiers, the backlash of the high spell ended up claiming the petty lord's life, as well as that of the court. There is chaos, opportunity, and a chance to use the organization and war rules too.

I'm leaning towards 4, because that seems to be right before most classes see some exciting changes (although Rogues and Savages get a title at level 4, the other classes all seem to receive their title and expand their powers at level 5).

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 06, 2016, 09:11:54 AMAnyway, it is explicitly noted that yes, there are different levels of craftsmanship, already on p. 134, as follows.

Yes, "on p.134 as follows:"

Quote from: Spellbound KingdomsNB The items listed are typical, not definitive.
There's nothing stopping you from having a Quality
10 hauberk made from the finest steel by the finest
smiths. Simply adjust the wealth level as the GM and
the group judge

Ergo, ask the GM and the rest of your party (TASK COMPLETED, AWAITING RESPONSE) alongside which I added thoughts/suggestions about possibilities other than simply 'buy low quality,' because the party is at a more advanced level ("buy cheaper stuff" is obviously an appropriate response for level 1 characters), and I can't find anything like a WBL table or discussion of wealth modifications due to advancement for this game. I'd love to check the game forums but I see an awful lot of comments on other sites asking if they are down permanently...They certainly seem to be down this weekend, and stuck in a mid-installation SQL mode...Less than useful for reference, sadly.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 06, 2016, 09:11:54 AMAll the example Reputations I remember in the book have been like that. Check the entry on Court Sword: "The Bane of the villagers of Region X", a rather good Reputation for a noble, might help you intimidating the villagers. It might help your Court Sword, too, maybe even against a noble of that region. But I can't see it being anything but an impediment to finding love among the villagers... ;D

Thanks, good to know that will work properly, then. When I'm dealing with a new system and something isn't called out specifically I'm apt to ask if I'm doing it right.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 06, 2016, 09:11:54 AMTechnically, I think if you have a title next to it, it should. I certainly get an Exotica on it.

...Asking if I'm doing it right, right?

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 06, 2016, 09:11:54 AMI'd rather tie that to the Inspirations than the skill, but I'm not against it. It seems like a rule that wouldn't come up often, anyways. I mean, how many Cardinal's Guards are there that aren't even apprentices in a fencing or fencing and shooting style?

There're always the riffraff and there are mobs. Your character will probably be better acquainted with such than mine.  ::) Obviously, any guard worth his snuff will have some decent training, but perhaps not every village lookout nor other walking hazard will.

If I'm missing anything obvious, I apologize. First time playing and I certainly haven't spent the time dwelling on the forums for the game or otherwise kicking it around that would give me the familiarity I have with things like PF. Also, we're out of coffee. *Grumps sleepily off to the store.*

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on November 06, 2016, 10:07:05 AM
What happens in Azenahal probably doesn't stay in Azenahal  ::)
;D

QuoteIn 2.0/3.0/3.5/Pathfinder/4.0/5.0 and (by influence) other internet discussion of level-based games, it's the commonly accepted acronym for "Wealth-By-Level." I.E., if you're starting a fourth level character, how much more gold/geardo they have than a first level character? While there are quite nicely laid out tables for where the characters' capabilities are at a given level, I couldn't find any such provisions regarding expected changes in wealth.
Oh, that.
Well, I suspect we could just add Level for the more lucrative classes, or Lvl/2 for the less "lucrative" ones.

QuoteYou did. As follows:

I'm leaning towards 4, because that seems to be right before most classes see some exciting changes (although Rogues and Savages get a title at level 4, the other classes all seem to receive their title and expand their powers at level 5).
Hey, thanks! Now I can choose to be a Trader/Assassin...was thinking about it anyway.
(Hint: Axeman saboteur).

And I guess I just showed how much I care about D&D of the 2+ editions and the paradigm shifts they brought :P. (Yes, that's 2+, not 3+, due to the late 2nd edition).

QuoteYes, "on p.134 as follows:"

Ergo, ask the GM and the rest of your party (TASK COMPLETED, AWAITING RESPONSE) alongside which I added thoughts/suggestions about possibilities other than simply 'buy low quality,' because the party is at a more advanced level ("buy cheaper stuff" is obviously an appropriate response for level 1 characters), and I can't find anything like a WBL table or discussion of wealth modifications due to advancement for this game. I'd love to check the game forums but I see an awful lot of comments on other sites asking if they are down permanently...They certainly seem to be down this weekend, and stuck in a mid-installation SQL mode...Less than useful for reference, sadly.
Well, you need a GM ruling on that. I just gave a suggestion.
Thanks, good to know that will work properly, then. When I'm dealing with a new system and something isn't called out specifically I'm apt to ask if I'm doing it right.
Well, that's just another player's opinion.

QuoteThere're always the riffraff and there are mobs. Your character will probably be better acquainted with such than mine.  ::) Obviously, any guard worth his snuff will have some decent training, but perhaps not every village lookout nor other walking hazard will.
There's a Mob style. I bet they'd be good at it >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 06, 2016, 12:40:27 PMWell, I suspect we could just add Level for the more lucrative classes, or Lvl/2 for the less "lucrative" ones.

That'd probably work. Looking forward to hearing what Alex thinks.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 06, 2016, 12:40:27 PMHey, thanks! Now I can choose to be a Trader/Assassin...was thinking about it anyway.
(Hint: Axeman saboteur).

And I'm pondering Wizard 1/Noble 3.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 06, 2016, 12:40:27 PMAnd I guess I just showed how much I care about D&D of the 2+ editions and the paradigm shifts they brought :P. (Yes, that's 2+, not 3+, due to the late 2nd edition).

I did like a lot of things about 3.5 until it became too damned special-cased up. I kind of like PF, but it's getting the same way. Too many oddball special cases and special classes.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 06, 2016, 12:40:27 PMThere's a Mob style. I bet they'd be good at it >:)!

Oho! I missed that. I kind of just quick-skimmed the NPC-styles and didn't really coherently add them to brain.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

RSGAlex

Well, I got a bit to read and respond to. So lemme get to it.

I like CarnivalOfTheGoat's idea for the ceremony, so let it pass into use. And as for how recently arrived, I'd say anywhere under a month and some change is acceptable. As for the roofsword, I was going to give each of the characters a few thousand gold coins worth (leaing towards 6.5k to 8k) to either buy up Wealth Levels or just get other things beyond what your WL semi-casually allows you. (In the example of a roofsword, it could be purchased at the cost of a WL 3 item to represent one that was made by a lesser smith and doesn't get the bonus to damage, or at the cost of a WL 5 item to get an extra point of quality, rounded up.)

Additional aside, a noble starts at WL 4, so they have five WL 4 items, five WL 3 items, five WL 2 items, and five WL 1 items, assuming they don't do any trading up (i.e. a WL 3 item taken with a WL 4 slot). And they can change or replace any of those items in a week. They also start with their choice of a less easily replaceable mount or building of WL 8 or less or any item of WL 5 (again less easily replaceable)

And as for that reputation, they can be interpreted in different ways, but the points determine how it's used. So if you took Devious Weretigress from a Decadent Land (6), then the fear and curiosity help you as people don't object as strenuously (who wants to get eaten by a weretigeress) or are willing to help you do something (devious + decadent means something interesting, right?). If you got Devious Weretigress from a Decadent Land (-5) then it could be the same emotions but it instead helps out an enemy showing defiance (bravery in the face of a weretigress is how one shows spine!) or perhaps just randomly against somebody that you're asking for something relatively normal of (because they fear what ends it may be used for or just think you're not taking them seriously with such a normal request).

And for name level, for nobles I'd say it's probably determined by what your back home rank 'should' be. For Chosen Ones, probably Chosen if they have a name rank. I'll think about the mook stuff. I might just give them very lop sided stats that makes them frail (low heart and thus low mood being the obvious). Thufir Hawat was talking about titled level, which are different things, since CarinvalOfTheGoat was talking about name level for multiclassing.

Tell me if I should space things out more or need to clarify things.

EDIT: Oh, and CarnivalOfTheGoat, as a noble, you could take the weremagic style as your adept style and then either another magic school or a fighting style for your neophyte one. (I'm going with level 4).

Please wait warmly.