Interest Check: Generic Fantasy Inn

Started by Bliss, November 20, 2008, 11:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliss

*hunts up pictures of arquebuse...es....*

Ooooh....

...TOTALLY approved.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 03:28:15 PM
*hunts up pictures of arquebuse...es....*

Ooooh....

...TOTALLY approved.
Really! @w@
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 03:00:53 PM
Neither am I familiar with Iron Kingdoms... esplain?

Sort of a steampunk setting .. low steampunk maybe? I can't tell you that much about the RPG as I only play the wargame of it.

A gun mage is a magic user who can channel spells through their pistol, enchant bullets to deliver spells and so on.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Bliss

Sounds interesting! So the gun is more a spell delivery tool than just a bangbangshootshoot?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

A bit of each I think. I believe it can fire normal bullets (and does more damage as the character levels up), can fire rune bullets that deliver spells, and can have spells cast through it. I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

blackstardust

If you don't mind me jumping in with a question,

What exactly is steampunk?

Bliss

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 21, 2008, 04:10:11 PM
A bit of each I think. I believe it can fire normal bullets (and does more damage as the character levels up), can fire rune bullets that deliver spells, and can have spells cast through it. I'm a little fuzzy on the details.
Well, I'm not running a specific system, so think about how you'd like such a thing to work, specialties and limitations of it, and we'll chat about it. :)

Quote from: blackstardust on November 21, 2008, 04:11:01 PM
If you don't mind me jumping in with a question,

What exactly is steampunk?

Steampunk!
As defined by Wikipedia: Steampunk is a subgenre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles or analog computers; these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or a presumption of functionality.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 04:12:21 PM
Well, I'm not running a specific system, so think about how you'd like such a thing to work, specialties and limitations of it, and we'll chat about it. :)

I wasn't actually thinking about it for myself. Someone mentioned firearms, so I was tossing that out as an example of a setting where it's been done.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Just to give you an idea how slow a flintlock is.
First you lift the gun up. (Barrel up)
Open your powder horn.
pour a practiced measure of powder down the barrel.
Slide a lead ball wrapped in cloth down the barrel
Use the ramrod to push the ball against the powder
Lift the gun up. (Parallel to the ground)
Cock the lever halfway back (Half-cocked.)
pour powder into the flash pan.
set a match into the match slot
Pull the lever back (Fully cocked)
Light the match.
pull the trigger.

Depending on your shooting prowess the bad thing goes away.

Best time. one shot a minute.

Wash rinse repeat.

So I wouldn't be shooting a ridiculous amount of shots. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Bliss

*grinning* so in this world, given Inky's explanation... Try not to get caught bringing a gun to a sword fight, folks!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

mannik

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 04:40:37 PM
*grinning* so in this world, given Inky's explanation... Try not to get caught bringing a gun to a sword fight, folks!

unless you are really, really good at hitting things with the butt of it.  ;D

I'm interested by the way, but not quite sure what I want my character to be yet.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: mannik on November 21, 2008, 04:43:26 PM
I'm interested by the way, but not quite sure what I want my character to be yet.

How about the *ahem* notorious Captain Fang  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 04:40:37 PM
Mannik is right I can still use it to hit stuff. Plus I'd have a dagger too. (Sort of like the ranger who has a bow but uses a short sword as well.)

Silver

Hmm..I would love to throw myself into something like this. I've never been in a group game doing more than making a character sheet and something falls apart with me.

And this would be my first steam-punk type game.. I would love the chance here.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Bliss

*smile* steampunk is an option, not a requirement... I look forward to having you in the game, Miss Silver!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

Lookie at all the interest! When can expect the creation of threads? *smooches the Bliss and bribes her, wearing a COP Uniform*

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Maeven

Where there's an ale, there's a Maeven. 

I don't think that's exactly how that goes, but y'all get the picture. Right? Right.
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

MagicalPen

Maeven the Tavern Wench? Sounds good to me!   ;D

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Bliss

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 24, 2008, 08:12:21 AM
Lookie at all the interest! When can expect the creation of threads? *smooches the Bliss and bribes her, wearing a COP Uniform*

Ooh, you briber, bribing me with your bribery! (Soon.)

Quote from: Maeven on November 24, 2008, 08:16:06 AM
Where there's an ale, there's a Maeven. 

I don't think that's exactly how that goes, but y'all get the picture. Right? Right.

Woohoo! *stocks up the ale barrels in the imaginary inn*
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Bliss

Don't you dare go trying to turn all the ladies into Tavern Wenches, there are NPCs for that nonsense!

Although if a woman REALLY thinks she'll find the most enjoyment in a wench role, that's her choice.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Dawg

[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

MagicalPen

Thats one ugly hamster!

I prefer this type of war hamster!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Bliss

Dawg, you do realize that nowI have to DARE you to do a War Hampster character, and convincingly?
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Will

Ooh!  Ooh!  *jumps up and down, waving arms*  I'm in!
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Bliss

Woohoo, you ARE!

Geze, at this rate I should probably at least make the OOC and Bios threads, so people can get their concepts posted....
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3