[UN] An Anita Blake Inspired Game

Started by Cold Heritage, August 10, 2009, 01:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Heritage

I've read several of the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter novels by Laurell K. Hamilton. I've read up to Micah, and no further. I've also read about three of the Merry Gentry books, but that's an aside. While I'm just as quick as anyone to take potshots at Hamilton's oeuvres as anyone else who doesn't take them too seriously, I've come to appreciate and enjoy the mythos of the world that the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter novels take place within.

There isn't much of a plot developped in my mind that we might explore, and I wasn't sure whether or not it might be interesting to use the model of the novels of themselves (i.e. one player being the 'Anita,' a central female character around which the male characters generally revolve) or if it might be a more open game. Simply playing in the world of the novels is sufficiently intriguing to me. They seemed to have such potential that the novels themselves were not always able to exploit.

It would be my preference that players would not have characters who are part of canon. It would be interesting if we could have a mix of undead and shifters. My preference would be to play a werebear, although to the best of my knowledge they're undevelopped and mentioned only in passing. I would not, personally, be particularly concerned with adherence to canon, but, of course, I would not want to deviate to the point of entirely throwing out the vampire lore and transplanting the lore of, for example, Twilight in place.

Location isn't terribly important to me, because I'm not well-versed in American geography, let alone the geography of my own country. Ideally, I suppose, it would be a generally large city where things could happen (though it might risk falling into a Monster of the Week sort of formula, I have confidence that if we were aware we could avoid the worst pitfalls of that and maintain strong interpersonal character arcs that would merely be supplemented by the former).

I used [UN] because, for my part, I'm not looking for anything more than [VAN] with mild edging at [NC-H]. The tease of denied primal passion was something I enjoyed in Anita's attraction to Richard.

With all that said, is anyone interested?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Treena

i would love to play anita. i have read some of the books. pm when you get it more developed.

A/A     Ons/Offs     Cravings
Back and open to some rps.
Treena'sWiki

Callie Del Noire

Kinda burned on the Anita verse.. I got this idea for a Seelie/Unseelie Sidhe exile rattling in my head that won't go away darn it!

Cold Heritage

My preference would be for everyone involved to be original characters. I apologize for the lack of clarity when I alluded to one character being 'the Anita' - I didn't intend to imply that one player should take on the role specifically of Anita Blake, but rather, that someone should occupy a similar niche. In its most basic sense, that role is as a bridge uniting all elements of the supernatural world: the vampires, the shifters, the animators, and what-have-you. In the more salacious sense, the character be the hub of a harem of characters.

I would also prefer not to have the fey be a part of this - they're undevelopped in the Anita Blake universe, so far as I know. Beyond Bloody Bones, I'm not familiar with fey having a presence. The fey in the Merry Gentry series, particularly the Sidhe, quickly came to possess power that would make them, I believe, ill-suited to having conflict against antagonists one sees in the Anita Blake series of novels. I've also read fewer novels of the Merry Gentry series, and wouldn't feel especially comfortable.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.