Jon Stewart takes on BioTech/Patent Law

Started by lisar, September 24, 2013, 07:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Yeah - the exemption in the 1970 law is the one that the farmers need to hammer on, as forbidding the salvage of seeds would run counter to the PVPA.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ShadowFox89

They don't have the monetary pull that Monsanto does. It helps when you own your own political party.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kythia

Quote from: Oniya on September 25, 2013, 03:04:49 PM
Yeah - the exemption in the 1970 law is the one that the farmers need to hammer on, as forbidding the salvage of seeds would run counter to the PVPA.

You can sign away a right though.  At least over here.  Monsanto would have every right to say "sign this contract if you want to buy our seeds, otherwise we're not selling them to you" and said contract including a provision that you won't salvage seeds.

elone

Quote from: Kythia on September 25, 2013, 03:12:41 PM
You can sign away a right though.  At least over here.  Monsanto would have every right to say "sign this contract if you want to buy our seeds, otherwise we're not selling them to you" and said contract including a provision that you won't salvage seeds.

That is the whole problem, Monsanto has a near monopoly on GMO crop seeds that farmers use, their is no viable alternative. As noted before, Monsanto seems to have the money and political power to write laws and get them enacted that protect their patents, forbid truth in labeling, and generally continue practices that are anti-consumer.

The one case that made it to the Supreme Court was for a farmer who went and got seed from where grains were stored. technically, he felt that since he was not replanting his own seed that he had saved he was not violating the contract. Monsanto and the Supreme Court said it did not matter, he was still violating their patent. Thus Monsanto tightened their hold on all of their product, even if it is second or third generation crop seed that came from another source. Monsanto patent prevails forever apparently. Sucks.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on September 25, 2013, 03:08:33 PM
They don't have the monetary pull that Monsanto does. It helps when you own your own political party.

Except its PARTIES, and their very own federal court district and several arbitration firms.